Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.
That train looks very pleased with itself.

With good reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
That is awesome, but holy poo poo that track is pretty beat.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Oh, good. I'm not the only person that saw that.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Trust me, while running a train, even on the finest track, if you take out a pair of binoculars and look ahead at it, you will be horrified. There is something about the perspective that makes the track look bad/unsafe.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

The foreshortening you get with any kind of telephoto lens or magnification tends to make even good track look bad, and jointed rail universally looks deadly.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Makes me wonder, do the lines that only get used for heritage steam trains tend to be better or worse in terms of maintenance?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

smackfu posted:

Makes me wonder, do the lines that only get used for heritage steam trains tend to be better or worse in terms of maintenance?

Depends on how much money they bring in to maintain the track. You should see what you can get away with if its FRA class 1 track. (10 mph or less)

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Here's a good example of what lovely trackwork looks like with heavy zoom.

Bonus: CATS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwxmU4hxKIM

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Here's a good example of what lovely trackwork looks like with heavy zoom.

Bonus: CATS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwxmU4hxKIM

I wonder if the cat is going along the rail making "choo choo" noises in its head

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Bad track, you say?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrvLK24VlEs

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
So uh, Union Pacific apparently holds an anual depot day at their cheyenne yard. So of course, the big guy was on display and someone was kind enough to take some close up shots of the thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibBiGecjtqs

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

The foreshortening you get with any kind of telephoto lens or magnification tends to make even good track look bad, and jointed rail universally looks deadly.

Yeah, that's just bolted rail. It does that.

People are really used to seeing continuous welded rail these days.

Back in the old days, jointed rail with lovely metallurgy and shittier bolts holding it together would actually wear at the joints because they'd spread apart and the wheels would clunk over the slot, making the characteristic "tick-tack, tick-tack" noise of a train on tracks. Over time it'd hammer the ends of the rails down and end up wearing a chunk out. And of course the worse it gets, the faster it wears. Apparently it's called rail end batter, and still happens, just not as badly. http://interfacejournal.com/archives/213

Also, here, have a railroad chicane.

earthquake damage

kastein fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 20, 2014

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Also, here, have a railroad chicane.

earthquake damage

I always saw that one appended to stuff about heat expansion.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
This is some heat damage on the hottest recorded day back in 2009 (when we had all the bushfires, Black Saturday) temp of 46.9C, you can bet the rails were a bit warmer though. Melbourne, Australia.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

drunkill posted:

This is some heat damage on the hottest recorded day back in 2009 (when we had all the bushfires, Black Saturday) temp of 46.9C, you can bet the rails were a bit warmer though. Melbourne, Australia.

Yup, the key difference you can tell quickly is not just the angles, but the gravel bed being flung in the earthquake one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

drunkill posted:

:stonk: drat, I never knew that happened.

And hey, Connex is a blast from the (recent) past. Complete and utter fuckups from start to finish.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Last night I saw a train of about 10 vintage looking passenger cars go through downtown Cleveland. It looks like it may have been Pennsylvania Railroad livery (reddish brown amd yellow) but I am not enough of a sperg to know it on sight. Each car had the name of a state on it.

The cars appeared to be completely empty and it was on the main Norfolk Southern line along the lake. What did I see?

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

stealie72 posted:

Last night I saw a train of about 10 vintage looking passenger cars go through downtown Cleveland. It looks like it may have been Pennsylvania Railroad livery (reddish brown amd yellow) but I am not enough of a sperg to know it on sight. Each car had the name of a state on it.

The cars appeared to be completely empty and it was on the main Norfolk Southern line along the lake. What did I see?

A good guess is the N-S inspection / VIP train which looks like this:

Arishtat fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 20, 2014

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Someone imgur'ed this famous Schienenwolf picture I haven't seen in years

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railroad_plough

http://imgur.com/gallery/GmPFz29

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
It's on the Wikipedia page you linked to. It's been available.

drat, that's hardcore, though. Like the railroad equivalent of dropping caltrops behind you. Might be a good idea to set the plow blade a bit further back from the wheels of its carriage, though, it's looking a bit derailed there.

Edit: film of it in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRBN6oFt2hw

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 21, 2014

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Was in Skagway, AK last week, and came across this narrow gauge snow blower sitting at the station.

Missed out on getting pictures of the steam engine they have running, but did get a few of these:

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
Delray Interlocking Tower in Detroit

I didn't have time/a gun so I didn't go inside and check it out. Holy gently caress Detroit is terrible.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Aren't most towers unmanned anymore? I know we still have a few that are still manned, but the rest is all controlled from a remote office.

And gently caress, that looks scary.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Anyone here ever worked out of San Antonio on the UP? Thinking about taking a borrow out, but I have a few questions.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Ahahaha
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7bf_1403740993

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Aren't most towers unmanned anymore? I know we still have a few that are still manned, but the rest is all controlled from a remote office.

And gently caress, that looks scary.

I think this is the last or one of the last manned towers. Someone got shot at that intersection recently and one of the windows had a bullet hole in it from a different shooting. Detroit is scary as gently caress.

If you've never been, imagine the worst parts of whatever town you're in. The kind of places you don't go at night and try to avoid during the day. Then imagine an entire city like that and you have Detroit.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
lovely neighborhood talk: I recently took Acela for the first time, a round trip from Newark to DC. I really liked the trip, it was much nicer than being treated like cattle as the airlines do. Unfortunately, North Philly and North Baltimore were real shitholes, the nearby neighborhoods were lined with abandoned factories and burned out row houses. In Philly, along the tracks were ugly row houses, and directly below the houses - on the track embankment - were landslides of garbage that the inhabitants had hurled out of the windows on to the embankment. I know the railroads can't clean up everything, but it was really sad to look at.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Do locomotives have air/spring seats like in trucks? How's the ride? I was looking at old steam engines that have seats bolted to the floor and I bet that the ride could knock your fillings out.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
The seats on UP engines are bolted to the floor. Imagine riding on a trampoline with lots of up and down and side to side motion. Usually, its pretty awful.

I hear the CN has air ride.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

Delray Interlocking Tower in Detroit

For those of us lurking here out of interest who aren't employees or foamers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signalling_control

Had to look that one up. Pretty cool (which is why I keep reading this thread).

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I know the railroads can't clean up everything, but it was really sad to look at.

Railroads are in the transportation business, not in the making things pretty business. Sure, there was tons of trash all over the embankments in every populated area we ran through, but unless clearing it out would make us money somehow, it would never ever happen. In fact, just going out there to clean it up would take months of equipment & manpower away from building and maintaining track.

It was funny, though, when there was word that the CEO or chief engineer was coming through on an inspection train, we in M.O.W. would get the directive to level every pile of ballast, hide every spare tie, and take every plug rail that had been laid strategically at joints to be welded back to the material yard. Gotta make the track look pretty!

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

ijustam posted:

Do locomotives have air/spring seats like in trucks? How's the ride? I was looking at old steam engines that have seats bolted to the floor and I bet that the ride could knock your fillings out.

I've rode in the front of the Amtrak GE Genesis engines before, can confirm that they have air ride seats. Comfy as a motherfucker, at least for the 2-3 hours I was up front.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

BrokenKnucklez posted:

The seats on UP engines are bolted to the floor. Imagine riding on a trampoline with lots of up and down and side to side motion. Usually, its pretty awful.

One of my coworkers broke his back riding in one of those seats last month.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

B4Ctom1 posted:

One of my coworkers broke his back riding in one of those seats last month.

I dont know why we can't get the brown seats again. The black seats are loving awful!

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why

NoWake posted:

Railroads are in the transportation business, not in the making things pretty business. Sure, there was tons of trash all over the embankments in every populated area we ran through, but unless clearing it out would make us money somehow, it would never ever happen. In fact, just going out there to clean it up would take months of equipment & manpower away from building and maintaining track.

It was funny, though, when there was word that the CEO or chief engineer was coming through on an inspection train, we in M.O.W. would get the directive to level every pile of ballast, hide every spare tie, and take every plug rail that had been laid strategically at joints to be welded back to the material yard. Gotta make the track look pretty!

I love it when the geometry car comes through. They seem to forget that the tracks are nothing more than wood, steel, mouse turds, grease, oil, and trash.

Taking your plug rails back to the yard though? Man I'd be pissed, that just makes more work.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Strawberry posted:

Taking your plug rails back to the yard though? Man I'd be pissed, that just makes more work.

It's a simple succinct example of what's wrong with corporate america today.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

What's a plug rail?

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
A plug rail is for when you cut out a section of rail due to it having a defect or break. Two cuts are made, the old rail is pulled out, the new one is measured and cut, then put in place. Our minimum length for a plug rail is 16 1/2 feet. The rail is then drilled on the web and joint bars and bolts are put on and tightened.

The welders come by later and unbolt the joints and weld them. Depending on the temperature the plug rail was installed, it may need to be pulled together or an inch or two must be cut out before it can be welded. Installing rail at different temps is a whole 'nother can 'o worms.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
A railroad museum in Fillmore is being evicted. They ran trains on a 26 mile stretch of track. The county claims that the museum isn't maintaining the tracks properly, the museum claims everything is being maintained properly. The museum is selling off trains and train cars to cover the costs of the lawsuit.

http://www.vcstar.com/news/local-news/fillmore/fillmore-railway-sells-vintage-car-to-help-fund-litigation_04729076

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

RandomPauI posted:

A railroad museum in Fillmore is being evicted. They ran trains on a 26 mile stretch of track. The county claims that the museum isn't maintaining the tracks properly, the museum claims everything is being maintained properly. The museum is selling off trains and train cars to cover the costs of the lawsuit.

http://www.vcstar.com/news/local-news/fillmore/fillmore-railway-sells-vintage-car-to-help-fund-litigation_04729076
That's just sad. I don't know if the commission is in the right here, but if not they're jerks for trying to kill off a historic rail line.

On a different note, here's an hour long video of the last days of SEPTA's old Silverliner cars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4GuxmwLdLk

Zeether fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 3, 2014