Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

ToxicSlurpee posted:

King vassals can be difficult to deal with and it's cool to hold like 20 kingdom titles

Vassal kings can really cut vassal relation micromanagement. They can get out of control, for sure, but that's part of the fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

What's a good Shia start in 867?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Bishop Rodan posted:

The only purpose of boats in this game is to transport troops.

It's seriously one of the worst things inthe game though since we have had several dlcs about major naval powers that depended on a strong navy for survival and yet we have no naval combat! All I'm asking for is war galleys, cogs and maybe early carracks as the final upgrade and some blockading ability for navies. Not much all things considered.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

A problem I can see with including naval combat is that it could make crusades drat near impossible. The problem is that with the Paradox province system, you can't account for the reality that Medieval navies didn't have the ability to completely lock down a region of the sea, they way they do automatically in any Paradox game with naval combat. You could develop systems to compensate (enemy fleets are only interdicted if your fleet is set to patrol, and even then there's a chance they'll slip past), but I can see that being not terribly fun if the RNG doesn't roll your way.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.

marktheando posted:

There is only one. The Rassid Emirate on the southern tip of the Arabian Peninsula.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
To be honest I miss the CK1 way they handled the navy, i.e. you didn't even own boats and if you wanted to travel across water you paid a shitload of money to hire enough ships to transport you troops. Was it a potentially unfun mechanic? Hell yeah, but at least I didn't have to do all the fiddly poo poo I have to do now with boats in CK2.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

nutranurse posted:

To be honest I miss the CK1 way they handled the navy, i.e. you didn't even own boats and if you wanted to travel across water you paid a shitload of money to hire enough ships to transport you troops. Was it a potentially unfun mechanic? Hell yeah, but at least I didn't have to do all the fiddly poo poo I have to do now with boats in CK2.

No poo poo. Splitting up my retinues into tiny little pieces and ferrying them one by one because I won't have a decent number of boats for 150 years sucks.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

The Mighty Biscuit posted:

There is only one. The Rassid Emirate on the southern tip of the Arabian Peninsula.

There's also the Fatimid Emirate (Damascus) under the Sunni Caliph

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

DStecks posted:

A problem I can see with including naval combat is that it could make crusades drat near impossible. The problem is that with the Paradox province system, you can't account for the reality that Medieval navies didn't have the ability to completely lock down a region of the sea, they way they do automatically in any Paradox game with naval combat. You could develop systems to compensate (enemy fleets are only interdicted if your fleet is set to patrol, and even then there's a chance they'll slip past), but I can see that being not terribly fun if the RNG doesn't roll your way.

Would it really though? I mean I usually see at least one merchant republic get in to the crusade and considering how much they:goon: with boats it would probably make crusades even easier. Jihads on the other hand... :v:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Lawman 0 posted:

Would it really though? I mean I usually see at least one merchant republic get in to the crusade and considering how much they:goon: with boats it would probably make crusades even easier. Jihads on the other hand... :v:

Well, most of the jihads I see are against enemies that are geographically close to the muslins, reachable by land (unlike crusades, which are often across the sea), I dont think it would make that much of a difference.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Allyn posted:

There's also the Fatimid Emirate (Damascus) under the Sunni Caliph

Good luck with that one. Muslims get free Duchy revocation.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Good luck with that one. Muslims get free Duchy revocation.

Yeah. Plus Damascus is the de jure capital of the Arabian Empire, so the AI puts extra weight on revoking the county. I've never tried it but I imagine it's a tough start, although considering how often things fall apart for al-Mutazz you could probably borrow money from then expel the jews and merc your way to independence. (Speaking of, I think there are actually a couple other Shiites under the Caliph who always go for independence too -- Bahrain, Zhu Dabi, Damman, that sort of area. They'll be even harder than the Fatimids though probably.)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rodyle posted:

So it is basically impossible to start in any of their landing zones?

If you are pagan you can just immediately bribe the leader so he likes you (it should only cost 20 bucks because he doesn't own anything yet). Now that he likes you, get him to marry your sister or daughter. Since you are allies he'll probably go ruin someone else's day. Keep marrying your children to his children, and eventually the whole Aztec empire may spontaneously flip to your religion.

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010

DStecks posted:

Fairly simple IMO. Add attrition based on the number of enemy ships in a hex, and slow movement down a bit. So you run the blockade, but you'll lose boats/manz and it will take longer. If you have more boats in Gibralter for example, then people can't charge across the straights at you and you have lessened penalties doing it to them.

Have events that can fire when two enemy fleets are in the same hex if you want.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Alright, I need another bunch of gold to try take over northern Europe again, let's head down to Constantinople to... uh...

What the gently caress

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Meanwhile, back in Denmark

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Meanwhile, back in Denmark

Kinda reminds me of my Ivar the Boneless game where I converted to Catholicism and proceeded to get pillaged by vikings continuously for over a century; thus, Operation Jesus. In fact, considering that it's Skotland in Denmark, I'd hazard a guess that that's precisely what happened in this one: Ivaring Scotland comes home mean.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah after a relatively stable few decades where no one could make a move, everything's exploded.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Italy! Go home! You're drunk!

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Lawman 0 posted:

It's seriously one of the worst things inthe game though since we have had several dlcs about major naval powers that depended on a strong navy for survival and yet we have no naval combat! All I'm asking for is war galleys, cogs and maybe early carracks as the final upgrade and some blockading ability for navies. Not much all things considered.

Yeah, I've been wanting some kind of naval combat in this game since it was released. I recall the devs saying they wouldn't do it because naval combat wasn't important in medieval times but that's totally bullshit. If the battle of Sluys had gone the other way, we might remember the Hundred Years War today as a French invasion of mainland Britain instead of the other way around. There were quite a few enormous naval battles that had far-reaching impacts back then. And besides, this game doesn't give that much of a poo poo about historical accuracy anyway. This is a game where you have Mongols and Aztecs invading Ireland.

Anyway, I haven't played this game in a long time and I never got the India DLC. It looks kinda neat. I am quite tempted to buy it now.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

Hmm, so would this mean that we get the occasional 100 Year Crusade where the Knights Hospitallier and merchant republics utterly dominate the sea but can't muster enough warscore because of the Muslim clowncar effect?

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010

Danann posted:

Hmm, so would this mean that we get the occasional 100 Year Crusade where the Knights Hospitallier and merchant republics utterly dominate the sea but can't muster enough warscore because of the Muslim clowncar effect?

I believe this is basically "Every Crusade but the First One".txt

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

marktheando posted:

Or you could go with the Sultanate of Mauretania, without a doubt the easiest Shia start in 867. Once you break the Umayyad in the north you are safe to expand either east into the Ibadi/Sunni lands, south into Mali or further north into Christian Spain (though you should avoid triggering crusades).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

This ironman game has me playing the game through and getting rid of bad habits while building up good ones. Always keep a decent sized treasury for emergency mercenaries. Check how many mercenaries are alive in those companies before hiring them. Equal numbers of troops are not good odds. Things arent looking great for me since everyone is curbstomping Denmark into the ground, but I've got a whole ton of offspring and kinsmen everywhere now. They've even taken kingdoms on their own for a time.

But goddamn I am still struggling to reform the norse religion. Funnily enough, the AI controlled Norway is now in a position to do so. It's captured three holy sites so far. Pity Norse moral authority is in the toilet.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

SynthOrange posted:

Pity Norse moral authority is in the toilet.

Go raid Ireland.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I did that early on and conquered it. Then they revolted and oops now theres a unified ireland.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Torrannor posted:

Or you could go with the Sultanate of Mauretania, without a doubt the easiest Shia start in 867. Once you break the Umayyad in the north you are safe to expand either east into the Ibadi/Sunni lands, south into Mali or further north into Christian Spain (though you should avoid triggering crusades).

Went with this one, thanks. Seems like a good position. I haven't had a proper Muslim game in ages so didn't want anything too challenging.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Is there a fun and/or easy way to conquer Europe, or at least establish a lasting dynasty, as an Aztec?

When would I start? How would I do this?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Annath posted:

Is there a fun and/or easy way to conquer Europe, or at least establish a lasting dynasty, as an Aztec?

When would I start? How would I do this?

Fun, maybe, easy? Oh my yes. You basically have two options. With the Sunset Invasion DLC checked either play a normal (or observer) game up until the Aztecs spawn (which I think is around 1100?), or find the event #ID and trigger the invasion manually whenever you wish using the console (~). Since they start out with something like 300K upkeep free event troops and free invasions I don't think you'll have any difficulty stomping Europe into a fine, sacrificial paste.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Fuligin posted:

Fun, maybe, easy? Oh my yes. You basically have two options. With the Sunset Invasion DLC checked either play a normal (or observer) game up until the Aztecs spawn (which I think is around 1100?), or find the event #ID and trigger the invasion manually whenever you wish using the console (~). Since they start out with something like 300K upkeep free event troops and free invasions I don't think you'll have any difficulty stomping Europe into a fine, sacrificial paste.

Haha, that sounds awesome. I just want a easy, carefree round of nation stomping.

What happens if I establish a sizable Aztec nation in CKII and then export the game to EU4?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Annath posted:

Haha, that sounds awesome. I just want a easy, carefree round of nation stomping.

What happens if I establish a sizable Aztec nation in CKII and then export the game to EU4?

Just exporting a CKII game with Sunset Invasion enabled will completely change the New World, upgrading all native tribes to a High American (identical to Western) tech group and putting much of the Americas under the dominion of sizeable Aztec and Inca empires. If the Aztecs managed to conquer anything in Europe, that's kept over in the exported game as well.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Annath posted:

You get a sizeable aztec nation with a unique western-equivalent tech group and an overpowered religion with +50% land morale.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So if you manage world conquest in CK2, will you then get to keep all of it in EUIV plus a sizable part of the Americas?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Torrannor posted:

So if you manage world conquest in CK2, will you then get to keep all of it in EUIV plus a sizable part of the Americas?

Yes.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Anyone know of a mod that makes a land bridge between Britain and the continent? Boats are a huge pain in the rear end in this game.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

So I got the Prester John achievement with probably only DAYS remaining until my window of opportunity died a death. I did the tried-and-true method of starting as Badass Count of Nantes and island-hopping my way to Abyssinia. I ended up only getting children as prisoners during my raids, but no matter, right? I can swear fealty to the King of Brittany at the end of it and convert when I get enough piety! No problem!

Almost immediately after taking the last county necessary, the Count goes infirm, incapable, ill, and relegated to the deathbed. Did I mention he popped out another son before that, to whom the necessary county titles for the achievement would go upon the death of Badass Count? loving bollocks. With no way to change the laws, I figured I'd stab the little bastard. Woops, only a 15% chance of succeeding!

I was gaining piety extremely slowly, even with yearly Blots, and knew my time was running out. The primary heir wouldn't inherit the achievement counties and all my drat work would be for nothing. So I did was any self-respecting Norse conqueror would do in such a trying time...

:whatup: Ireland!

With probably only a month tops until the death of Badass Count, I sailed to the southernmost county of Ireland, raided that bitch clean, took a Catholic concubine that was just barely of age, and converted.

Now it's time for Holy Smoke and Black Bishop. Anyone have any advice? Black Bishop looks to be pretty tough. I figure I can convert to Norse as the Byzantine Emperor and butcher the Patriarch for Holy Smoke.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
The "seduce a guests' spouse" event you can get during feasts could probably use an age check for the host as well as the spouse.

The mother being 27 years old and the bastard being quick made this even better. Definitely Roman/Abyssinian Emperor material.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

TheHoosier posted:

Now it's time for Holy Smoke and Black Bishop. Anyone have any advice? Black Bishop looks to be pretty tough. I figure I can convert to Norse as the Byzantine Emperor and butcher the Patriarch for Holy Smoke.

Raiding Rome is pretty simple/profitable (as with Constantinople, although the defenses can be a pain) so it shouldn't be too too hard to do even just as an average Norse ruler. I usually would hit Rome on my way to make a withdrawal from the Bank of Venice anyway.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Main Paineframe posted:

Just exporting a CKII game with Sunset Invasion enabled will completely change the New World, upgrading all native tribes to a High American (identical to Western) tech group and putting much of the Americas under the dominion of sizeable Aztec and Inca empires. If the Aztecs managed to conquer anything in Europe, that's kept over in the exported game as well.

That's loving great. I didn't know you could do that. I bought EUIV during a sale a ways back, but never got around to trying it. Now I really want to try this sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

TheHoosier posted:

So I got the Prester John achievement with probably only DAYS remaining until my window of opportunity died a death. I did the tried-and-true method of starting as Badass Count of Nantes and island-hopping my way to Abyssinia. I ended up only getting children as prisoners during my raids, but no matter, right? I can swear fealty to the King of Brittany at the end of it and convert when I get enough piety! No problem!

Almost immediately after taking the last county necessary, the Count goes infirm, incapable, ill, and relegated to the deathbed. Did I mention he popped out another son before that, to whom the necessary county titles for the achievement would go upon the death of Badass Count? loving bollocks. With no way to change the laws, I figured I'd stab the little bastard. Woops, only a 15% chance of succeeding!

I was gaining piety extremely slowly, even with yearly Blots, and knew my time was running out. The primary heir wouldn't inherit the achievement counties and all my drat work would be for nothing. So I did was any self-respecting Norse conqueror would do in such a trying time...

:whatup: Ireland!

With probably only a month tops until the death of Badass Count, I sailed to the southernmost county of Ireland, raided that bitch clean, took a Catholic concubine that was just barely of age, and converted.

The pro way of doing prestor john is starting at the Kingdom of Jerusalem bookmark as an ethiopian count, swearing fealty to Jerusalem and converting to Catholicism.

• Locked thread