Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Wow, so i love how even Ken apparently feels extremely uneasy about this whole thing with the FeMC. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ApplesandOranges posted:

Don't know if people were aware, but Mercer is now doing Kanji instead of Baker:

https://twitter.com/matthewmercer/status/482663053742186498

Also Papenbrook is doing Theo instead of Willingham. A shame because I like Willingham, but I'll wait to see how he's done in PQ before I pass any judgements.

Unfortunate, Baker was really iconic as Kanji, or at least very good.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Don't know if people were aware, but Mercer is now doing Kanji instead of Baker:

Also Papenbrook is doing Theo instead of Willingham. A shame because I like Willingham, but I'll wait to see how he's done in PQ before I pass any judgements.

First Naoto and now Kanji, that's too bad. I wonder if this'll give rise to a new generation of the new/old Chie debate (new Chie is best Chie).

I don't even care about Theo.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Unfortunate, Baker was really iconic as Kanji, or at least very good.

Mercer did do Kanji in P4 Animation, so you can use that as a benchmark to see how his initial efforts were.

I do agree Baker's Kanji is pretty iconic.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Guess I'm not using Kanji anymore then. :smith:

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

ApplesandOranges posted:

Mercer did do Kanji in P4 Animation, so you can use that as a benchmark to see how his initial efforts were.

I do agree Baker's Kanji is pretty iconic.

I could barely tell the difference between Kanji's VA in the anime and P4G, Mercer did a really good job.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's really unfortunate that Baker can't voice Kanji anymore, but it's gonna suck even more for Mercer who is going to be compared endlessly to Baker especially when they tell him to mimic Baker's voice. I'm also disappointed Willingham won't reprise Theo especially since that man's voice is amazing for a character like Theo and Pappenbrook is gonna be such a shift. I'm sure it'll be fine though, a lighter toned Theo isn't bad, but Willingham is really good at comedic reactions and I was looking forward to those with Theo.

Manatee Cannon posted:

First Naoto and now Kanji, that's too bad. I wonder if this'll give rise to a new generation of the new/old Chie debate (new Chie is best Chie).

It'll be even more egregious than it already is.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

ApplesandOranges posted:

this isnt okay

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Rise's probably gonna get a voice change too for PQ, btw.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Beef Waifu posted:

And now the hidden pun in my previous comment comes to light (disclaimer: I didn't say it was a good one).

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
That loving sucks since Troy Baker's so iconic as Kanji, but Mercer did pretty well in the anime.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
What is with the constant voices changes of Persona characters? Are the original VAs too expensive for Atlus or is an union thing?

Guess we're lucky that Mignola and Michelle Ruff are returning as Junpei and Yukari on Ultimax.

They're returning right?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yes, their voices can be heard as their respective characters in the English version of the game. The main reason is probably due to scheduling conflicts since Baker is now a pretty big VA (And Union) and Willingham is also big (And Union). They have several things they're doing voice work for. That being said Baker and Willingham are usually dedicated to things they like to do which is why Baker even voiced Kanji in P4G, P4 the Animation and P4A despite the fact he was already pretty much big at that point and Willingham voicing Relius in Chronophantasma. However it must be getting to be too much and they are legit unable to voice their characters. No one knows what the hell is up with Naoto's original VA (Or who she is) same with Tracey Rooney as Chie. Dave Wittenburg became union after P4 so he couldn't reprise.

I am sure Laura Bailey is also getting to the point where she's stretching how much she can dedicate herself to Rise before her schedule gets to be too much as well, since she is also union and voice acting in everything too. More than half of the P4 cast will be replaced by the time of Dancing All Night and P5.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Beef Waifu posted:

Yes, their voices can be heard as their respective characters in the English version of the game. The main reason is probably due to scheduling conflicts since Baker is now a pretty big VA (And Union) and Willingham is also big (And Union). They have several things they're doing voice work for. That being said Baker and Willingham are usually dedicated to things they like to do which is why Baker even voiced Kanji in P4G, P4 the Animation and P4A despite the fact he was already pretty much big at that point and Willingham voicing Relius in Chronophantasma. However it must be getting to be too much and they are legit unable to voice their characters. No one knows what the hell is up with Naoto's original VA (Or who she is) same with Tracey Rooney as Chie. Dave Wittenburg became union after P4 so he couldn't reprise.

I am sure Laura Bailey is also getting to the point where she's stretching how much she can dedicate herself to Rise before her schedule gets to be too much as well, since she is also union and voice acting in everything too. More than half of the P4 cast will be replaced by the time of Dancing All Night and P5.

Well that's sad, Persona's dubs have been pretty great (so much that I missed the dub on the P3' movie). I'm gonna miss the original voices.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Half the cast is already replaced. Literally half the cast

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Beef Waifu posted:

I thought it was Mercer who did the anime VA?

Apparently it was changed half way through the anime :wtc:

Beef Waifu posted:

Baker voiced Kanji in the first 13 episodes until he got married and wasn't able to make it for the second half, which is when they casted Mercer as Kanji.

Is it bad that i didn't even notice?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Baker voiced Kanji in the first 13 episodes until he got married and wasn't able to make it for the second half, which is when they casted Mercer as Kanji.

EDIT:

UberJumper posted:

Is it bad that i didn't even notice?

Kind of yeah, Mercer's voice is a lot more gruff than Baker's in voicing Kanji.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think P4U and PQ is a package deal: any of the voice actors who've replaced the old ones have reported their voicing both games. So it's really only Dancing All Night where we might see any more changes.

Yukiko isn't even confirmed for DAN (and neither is Naoto), which would probably make sense storyline wise if they wanted to handwave it (since Yukiko has inn things and Naoto detective things) so it'd be Yu, Yosuke and Rise really who might get any more changes.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The problem with PQ is they just started doing work for it while P4A2 has had its localization being done with the development of the console version. There is a clear divide in time there and most of the VAs confirmed for both we've seen so far are the ones that have been changed (Naoto, Kanji, Theo). Valerie Arem would be there anyways, because she does the ADR work for the games. P4D is gonna have the entire P4 team because there's no reason to include an "AND MORE" while showing other character names and not have the rest of the team especially since that game's gonna be fanservice as hell in terms of content.

Yu and Yosuke are not getting changes because JYB and Lowenthal are almost always accessible, Rise is the only one I see any realistic change to.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
I was going to play it in Japanese already, just more incentive really.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Is there a problem with being union? Because I saw it mentioned a bit.

Danbri
Jan 10, 2012

Try your ability! Do it!

Pureauthor posted:

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable about this could give you the total breakdown, but my understanding/interpretation is that being in these unions now means when you take a job it has to have certain things, or pay a minimum amount, and Atlus USA despite a recent surge still being relatively small time can't keep up with it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pureauthor posted:

Basically being union means you are under a contract and doing non-union dubbing gets around these contracts. That being said if they find out you are doing non-dubbing work it is in void of the contract and you lose all of your benefits you get from said union, which normal voice actors don't actually get. A big thing for VAs (Especially ones that came from doing anime dubs) is you can actually negotiate for more money (Along with someone working with the union who can negotiate for you) and in general make a livable wage while also not killing yourself trying to be in everything. Non-union work you basically have to do the negotiating yourself and it's really hard for that kind of stuff, because most localization teams that can't afford union dubs generally don't have a lot of money to work with to begin with. This is also part of the reason why you hear voice actors in multiple things (That and the talent pool being small) and in general you don't get all the good stuff that comes with being union.

That being said, non-union has its advantages in that you are mostly your own agent and can do whatever the hell you want to. I'm pretty sure Yuri Lowenthal and Tara Platt have been non-union for as long as they have for that exact reason.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think the whole union thing might also be why quite a few games have VAs that are uncredited, which is an absolute shame when there is some unknown amazing voicework out there.

Danbri
Jan 10, 2012

Try your ability! Do it!
So I think the lesson we've all learned from this is voice acting is a terrible career choice and 95% of it comes down to luck, and maintaining an ensemble cast for a product line over five years old now was pretty fortunate to begin with.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think the whole union thing might also be why quite a few games have VAs that are uncredited, which is an absolute shame when there is some unknown amazing voicework out there.

For years I got upset that English translations of games almost never credited the voices and blamed the devs, when it reality it's likely the profoundly loving weird system that is American voice acting. Who'da thunk.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Voice acting (and motion capture acting) remain insanely unrecognized and underappreciated by pretty much everyone. It's really dumb but really entrenched.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sam Riegel and Liam 'O Brien stated on their podcast that it took them over a decade to actually be able to get into mainstream voice acting (Cartoons, western games, and union dubs). Meanwhile, Troy Baker accidentally got into voice acting and within five years he's a hot commodity thanks to such roles as Joel, Booker, and the Joker. It's loving random as hell how anyone gets into union work and I think Steve Blum didn't even get into it until like... 2007? It's so strange.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Is interesting to contrast the american voice acting market with th one we got here on Mexico. Voice Acting was a big thing during the 80's and 90's and many voice actors are small celebrities here, outside of things like The Simpsons (or DZ Kai) dub their union is relly beneficial for them. The downside is that they get paid on peanuts and they're always sidelined when there's a tv/theatre/music star available for a job. :v:

Things have gotten better and videogames are started to been dubbed (mainly from big studies like WB or Microsoft) and it would be a dream come true to get them dub anything from ATLUS or XSEED.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Beef Waifu posted:

I'm sorry, Laura Bailey or bust. See ya Atlus.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Steve Blum got to play Spike Spiegal so he basically wins the voice acting pool because nobody ever gets to be that cool again

Danbri
Jan 10, 2012

Try your ability! Do it!

PureRok posted:

I'm sorry, Laura Bailey or bust. See ya Atlus.

Don't worry, Atlus USA'll pull out the megabucks to pay her fees now that all the other top seeded actors have split (Yuri'll do anything so he doesn't count and JYB knows he won't survive the week if he announces he's not doing Yu).

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Steve Blum got to play Spike Spiegal so he basically wins the voice acting pool because nobody ever gets to be that cool again

Spiegel*. Spell my last name correctly. :colbert:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Danbri posted:

Don't worry, Atlus USA'll pull out the megabucks to pay her fees now that all the other top seeded actors have split (Yuri'll do anything so he doesn't count and JYB knows he won't survive the week if he announces he's not doing Yu).

He'll be fine as long as he does Adachi. Who honestly caes about P4 protagonist? Especially in Arena.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Manatee Cannon posted:

He'll be fine as long as he does Adachi. Who honestly caes about P4 protagonist? Especially in Arena.

I care, but for that one scene in Yosuke's story.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Has anyone ripped the portraits from P4G yet?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

PureRok posted:

Spiegel*. Spell my last name correctly. :colbert:

:negative:

F-forgive me sempai!

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I'm fine with changing voice actors because the other end of the spectrum is Japan where having someone else voice a character is considered sacrilege and usually takes being dead for years to make happen.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The_Frag_Man posted:

Has anyone ripped the portraits from P4G yet?

The last update I saw on Vita hacking was that they managed to dump a ROM with some fancy soldering. No ways to read it though.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Ethiser posted:

I'm fine with changing voice actors because the other end of the spectrum is Japan where having someone else voice a character is considered sacrilege and usually takes being dead for years to make happen.

Depends on the character, honestly. And it isn't uncommon for VAs to change between the same character in different media, for example several VAs are different between Jojo All Star Battle and the Stardust Crusaders anime.

What happened with Igor is fairly unusual, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
One thing you can always count on with Japanese voice acting is Kana Hanazawa.

I would not count out the possibility that they made Golden just to fit her in there (she played Marie). She is seriously in loving everything.