Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
That was really cool. I wonder what Robot Bahamut meant by the tyranny of the Bionis...

I have to vote for plot!

The music in that update was really good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, these guys really like winding Shulk up. That sword must be a serious game-changer if they're willing to grab it like that.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 23, 2014

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

Oh boy do we mess poo poo up in the next update!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I really like that part where you're looking over Sword Valley and you realize... yes, that whole thing is the Mechonis' sword. :aaa: It's not called Sword Valley for some metaphorical reason, no. It's the loving sword. It blew my mind a little.

As usual, can't wait for the next one!

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

A proper send off for a good, old friend.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Yeah, I barely remember this part of the game at all. I was just pushing through as fast as I could because, GOTTA SAVE FIORA!

fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

Crafting isn't to terrible in this game. It's just time consuming and annoying because you need to exit out and save after every good craft. At least in the beginning until you have enough gems where it doesn't matter if you fail a couple times.
The most important thing to remember with crafting is that your characters affection towards each other makes a huge difference in crafting. But it's basically just, combine a bunch of smaller gems with properties you like, trying to get only 1 or 2 properties on it. The combine those gems to make giant awesome gems. The trick is to combine the gems in such an order that the crappy abilities don't get saved, and only the good ones that you like get saved.
It's an interesting system, just the amount of crafting required to make really good gems isn't really worth it. Especially as you were saying, you can just sell the ingredients most of the time and buy gems. I've never really had the gems be so amazing that they were miles above what you could buy in the store

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Also the inventory management for crafting is just... messy.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Silver Falcon posted:

Yeah, I barely remember this part of the game at all. I was just pushing through as fast as I could because, GOTTA SAVE FIORA!

I hear you, I literally remember nothing between this boss fight and the events in the vision Shulk has at the end of the episode. But the bits after said vision events are so good :allears:

e: and yeah, screw the crafting in this game. Sidequests and the collectapaedia should give you all the gems you need. Hell, a lot of the unique weapons that drop on endgame have gem setups that you would want anyway.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 27, 2014

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

OddObserver posted:

Also the inventory management for crafting is just... messy.

Yea, I thought the crafting in this game was a bit too disorganized to be worth doing (especially since I never felt like gems made a huge difference), but the actual crafting scene, for lack of a better term, is fantastic.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I actually had quite a bit of trouble with Tranquil Morax, although partly that was because I hadn't realized that the covert spider bot thing would run off to fetch help, so I was facing a LOT more Mechon at once.

Fastforwarding through battles is a good technique, but in my opinion, you should probably show at least the first fights in an area at normal speed to give us a feel for how they play out. I didn't really get a good sense of how Melia played out with it happening at 3X speed (all right, yes I KNOW how she plays, but you get what I'm saying). For the future, in a few more updates, you could possibly do a few optional bonus videos showing off the other characters and how they fight. If they're optional, people can't complain if it's a bunch of repetitive fighting. ;)

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I actually had quite a bit of trouble with Tranquil Morax, although partly that was because I hadn't realized that the covert spider bot thing would run off to fetch help, so I was facing a LOT more Mechon at once.

Fastforwarding through battles is a good technique, but in my opinion, you should probably show at least the first fights in an area at normal speed to give us a feel for how they play out. I didn't really get a good sense of how Melia played out with it happening at 3X speed (all right, yes I KNOW how she plays, but you get what I'm saying). For the future, in a few more updates, you could possibly do a few optional bonus videos showing off the other characters and how they fight. If they're optional, people can't complain if it's a bunch of repetitive fighting. ;)

Yeah I keep saying I'll do all that stuff and then going WHOO LOOK AT This PLOT IT'S BONKERS. I started out like 'yeah I'll do the best video jrpg let's play ever' and I'm actually a disorganised lump distracted by the game I've already played twice. 'Oh this is so fun I just want to keep killing stuff with no sense of direction or coordination'.

Maybe I'll do it all a third time next year! :(

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I want to see more of Melia's fighting, because everyone describes her as a glass cannon and that is my absolute favorite character archetype to play in combat.

Also, Goddamnit, Shulk, you saw more than just the Silver Mechon in there, TELL THE OTHERS THE REST OF WHAT YOU SAW.

Meanwhile, all I could think of after the Mumkar fight was:

:doom: "HUUUUUUUUUUUBRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissssssssssssssssss" *sploosh*

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I may be completely imagining things here but has there been mention of spoilers in case repairing colony 9/6 [I can't even tell which it was]? Is that something that was mentioned here and if so how far off are we on doing that? Or at least getting started?

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Lethemonster posted:

Yeah I keep saying I'll do all that stuff and then going WHOO LOOK AT This PLOT IT'S BONKERS. I started out like 'yeah I'll do the best video jrpg let's play ever' and I'm actually a disorganised lump distracted by the game I've already played twice. 'Oh this is so fun I just want to keep killing stuff with no sense of direction or coordination'.

Maybe I'll do it all a third time next year! :(

To be fair this game is a lot of fun to just run around and explore stuff in, nice and chill in a way.

Though my favourite parts in Deus Ex: Human Revolution were running around, breaking and entering and generally being Adam Jensen: hoarder and compulsive thief. Must be all the Banjo-Kazooie I played as a kid.

e: \/\/\/ She said in the video that she had stronger weapons so she equipped them and just kept using Monado enchant.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 28, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I saw people doing 1 damage in the Mumkhar fight. Is he immune to the anti-Mechon weapons, or did you just forget to equip them?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

I may be completely imagining things here but has there been mention of spoilers in case repairing colony 9/6 [I can't even tell which it was]? Is that something that was mentioned here and if so how far off are we on doing that? Or at least getting started?

The ability to get started with repairing / rebuilding Colony 6 unlocked at the end of Satorl Marsh, so the existence of that large sidequest hasn't been a spoiler since then. It's a pretty monstrous beast of its own though, so I'm guessing Lethemonster will be showing it off in its own set of updates at some point.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Vil posted:

The ability to get started with repairing / rebuilding Colony 6 unlocked at the end of Satorl Marsh, so the existence of that large sidequest hasn't been a spoiler since then. It's a pretty monstrous beast of its own though, so I'm guessing Lethemonster will be showing it off in its own set of updates at some point.

Someone on youtube just started a Let's play of this game too and I'm watching that as well so I got confused which one mentioned it in the comments and didn't want to spoil it.

I'm still on 3-5 right now but can someone explain when anti-mechon weapons popped up first? Because I thought the whole thing about mechon was that you couldn't hurt them using conventional weaponry unless you were using the Monado. That obviously excludes ether river dunking or shooting them with a mech cannon.

Dark Raku
Sep 20, 2012
I found crafting to be easy. I mean yes, it is far too complex considering how the game goes out of its way to make every other task simple but it isn't actually that hard.

However, I am all for a drunk crafting Episode.

RareAcumen posted:

I'm still on 3-5 right now but can someone explain when anti-mechon weapons popped up first? Because I thought the whole thing about mechon was that you couldn't hurt them using conventional weaponry unless you were using the Monado. That obviously excludes ether river dunking or shooting them with a mech cannon.

The fight against Metal Face in which Dunban joins. He comes with one crafted by Dickson.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Vil posted:

I will be indeedy. I have actively been trying to do it for quite a while, but fixing most of the colony requires collectables that I just CANNOT get to drop. I am playing a concurrent game that I may end up using to show off the rebuilding.

I have managed to get bits and pieces of the place sorted and do intend to show off the whole thing (gently caress you, fossil monkey) but don't have enough yet to put even one coherent update together.

I also have a specific plan for when a number of these and other long chain but self contained side quess will be presented within the narrative, to try and make a bit more sense than 'we do need to save Fiora and the Bionis but still had time to help this person rearrange their furniture'. I've never minded that in RPG games but I know it takes some people out of their willing suspension of disbelief.

It's slightly odd doing a let's play that from what I can tell is split evenly between people who've seen it all and people completely new. I like it!

I will be recording tonight. If you hear snuffling and woofing in the background it is because my labrador associates microphones with me talking to her on skype because I'm at uni, so she compulsively tries to join in the noise making. She does not like the cockney accents in the game :stare:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Lethemonster posted:

She does not like the cockney accents in the game :stare:

Your labrador has no sense of taste. :saddowns:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Hey, if it's alright with the OP I can provide a deeper writeup of the characters and their playstyles and moves and whatnot, just because I'm a turbonerd and like talking about the ways you can play these characters. I think we're at the point where the characters have all of their arts unlocked, barring a couple of Monado arts and maybe one or two level dependant stuff. I just like how all of the arts and skills play into the characters' personality is all.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

ManlyGrunting posted:

Hey, if it's alright with the OP I can provide a deeper writeup of the characters and their playstyles and moves and whatnot, just because I'm a turbonerd and like talking about the ways you can play these characters. I think we're at the point where the characters have all of their arts unlocked, barring a couple of Monado arts and maybe one or two level dependant stuff. I just like how all of the arts and skills play into the characters' personality is all.

Sure, I'm putting together videos to showcase individual playstyles and group combos. I can give you a heads up when I am going to post about a character and you can get yours ready too.

I tried doing it up until now but there were too many arts missing that I was just going to end up reposting a few more hours in going 'and now we use this and this instead for the rest of the game!'

People's favourites are Dunban and Riki so far, so I was going to show of those two first.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Now that I've finally caught up with this LP: :frogon:

This game is great. Reminds me of all those countless hours playing FFXII on PS2. The fact that Xenoblade Chronicles X is coming out on Wii U makes my heart and possibly my wallet bleed.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

WaltherFeng posted:

This game is great. Reminds me of all those countless hours playing FFXII on PS2.

Yeah, but this game is actually good. :colbert:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Ometeotl posted:

:protarget:

Personally, I love that game for exactly what it is: A JRPG where you just get to do stuff at your leisure and wandering into places you'd never even see during the story path. But enough of that. What I'd like to see is Square borrowing mechanics from FFXIV: ARR with its positional combat, skill rotations, enmity management and implementing them into a single player game.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ometeotl posted:

Hey now.
They both do things right where the other goes wrong.

But they both do great at story and pure joy of running around looking at the nice views.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I'm in a new flat with no internet and I've lost my voice thanks to my lungs going 'oh hey wonder what being full of fluid is like?!'

But, the next few updates are probably better without my commentary so I'm dropping provisional links here. The first update was a rather rough section of the game cut down to show as little faff as possible while still showing the small area off and what I did to get through it. You'll see a couple of uniques I cut out the fights with because literally nothing I fight in this area is special or different at all. The updates after this one are favourites parts of the game for me and I will just be adding a little bit of commentary to the boss fight that happens before the cutscene extravaganza.

Here you go:

Xenoblade Chronicles Revelations 3 - 7

Xenoblade Chronicles Revelations 3 - 8

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
I'm not knocking the kickass game. But I just realized how much easier it is to watch while you're explaining things and also making sarcastic jokes.

I felt like Fiora rebelling was like Darth Vader throwing the Emperor to his death. Definitely got that vibe. I wish this game had the Captain of the Thames in it....

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Lethemonster posted:

I'm in a new flat with no internet and I've lost my voice thanks to my lungs going 'oh hey wonder what being full of fluid is like?!'

:ohdear: Good luck with your new place and also your lungs!

Increment Plot Drama++ The Fiora rollercoaster continues. So, how bad was fighting mechon on the tiny little platforms and ledges? Without being able to maneuver for side slashes and back stab benefits is button mashing attacks still adequate at this level?

Anyway, as much commentary as you can healthily squeeze in would be appreciated. Watching plain videos of the game playing out is less gooder than hearing what a real person with opinions is experiencing and what they think of it. Not that I don't appreciate the editing work that's gone in, I just prefer Let's Play to You Watch.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Well, they're all dead now, LP over!

ThaGhettoJew posted:

:ohdear: Good luck with your new place and also your lungs!

Increment Plot Drama++ The Fiora rollercoaster continues. So, how bad was fighting mechon on the tiny little platforms and ledges? Without being able to maneuver for side slashes and back stab benefits is button mashing attacks still adequate at this level?

Button mashing will get you killed by now. These areas are pretty tough, and you need all the advantages you can get.

quote:

Anyway, as much commentary as you can healthily squeeze in would be appreciated. Watching plain videos of the game playing out is less gooder than hearing what a real person with opinions is experiencing and what they think of it. Not that I don't appreciate the editing work that's gone in, I just prefer Let's Play to You Watch.

Yeah, I have to agree with that. The three minutes of running around in fast-forward mode at the start of Rev. 3-7 was not interesting. If there was commentary, or you showed the battles, that would have worked, but without either, there just was nothing there.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Yeah I'm only putting them up because I get pestered occasionally by some people who would rather just watch a blank video than wait. I'll post the next two blank but if you are not one of those people just ignore them, I will upload commentated versions of all of them.

And I noticed this morning I encoded them all in SD >: |

Good to hear my nonsensical babbling is actually a plus point though!

RE: Button mashing: It will most definitely just get you dead now unless you overlevel yourself. The part at which we approach and murder Mumkhar is a turning point in the game for actually paying attention to lots of the extra mechanics and character specialties. As per request we'll be going through the intricacies of leading man Dunban very shortly!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Definitely agreed that your very British rambling adds a lot to the videos.

Also, it couldn't hurt to include at least a few fights! It's a bit weird to watch you infiltrate a heavily guarded enemy base and barely see you fight anything. I get the combat gets repetitive to watch, but consider at least including you beating the Uniques?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do miss your rambling.

Also... it seems kind of like we're gearing up for the big final battle, which if I know my Xeno series means we're about a fourth of the way through the game.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Glazius posted:

I do miss your rambling.

Also... it seems kind of like we're gearing up for the big final battle, which if I know my Xeno series means we're about a fourth of the way through the game.

I feel like a quarter through is about right. As a guess, we do a big boss to wrap up the first act, transition to mechonis for the second act, then back to save bionis for the finale, plus about a third more in side quests and post game content.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Outsource your commentary. I'm sure you can find goons eager to comment over your videos. You could even give them scripts so they said what you wanted them to during the LP.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

Heffer posted:

I feel like a quarter through is about right. As a guess, we do a big boss to wrap up the first act, transition to mechonis for the second act, then back to save bionis for the finale, plus about a third more in side quests and post game content.

I wouldn't say a quarter, a bit closer to a third.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Blind Sally posted:

Outsource your commentary. I'm sure you can find goons eager to comment over your videos. You could even give them scripts so they said what you wanted them to during the LP.

But then I'll cause the pay of homegrown LPers to plummet and cause a downturn in the industry!!! And you might end up having to listen to someone with a funny accept like a Quebecois or something.

I have voice back, recording is going ahead today.

Heffer posted:

Glazius posted:

I do miss your rambling.

Alectai posted:

I wouldn't say a quarter, a bit closer to a third.

I have to admit, we've reached the point where I know what the big story beats are but can't remember a lot of what happens to get from point to point. Now I'm all excited to see what's going to happen next as well!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Blind Sally posted:

Unless she outsources it exclusively to British folks, this is a terrible idea. :colbert:

British is best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Silver Falcon posted:

Unless she outsources it exclusively to British folks, this is a terrible idea. :colbert:

British is best.
What about a fake British accent?

• Locked thread