Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I kinda asked before, but is anyone playing the PC version with a 360 controller (actually in my case a DS4 but it emulates the 360 controller perfectly thanks to an input wrapper) and it just feels weird, compared to any other PC game using the controller? The joystick dead zone is huge and seemingly not the same between vertical and horizontal, it sometimes ignores my inputs or something (I need to activate a musou right now to avoid an enemy's musou, but it doesn't activate and I get hit), and I dunno what else. It's the only deficiency of the PC version I can see.

edit: vvvv I've played it on the PS3 too so it's nothing about the game itself.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I am (using a 360 controller) and I don't have your problem. I sometimes feel like combos don't really react to what I'm doing though, but that might just be the insanely long animations some characters have.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I'm playing it with a PS2 controller using some cheap-rear end adapter and it works fine for me. It sometimes arbitrarily reduces me to walking speed during camp sections but the actual battles are fine.

So does the morale gauge on the upper right do anything in story mode or is it a feature mostly for ambition mode? I've only been playing story mode so far and I cannot tell if it affects anything.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

So does the morale gauge on the upper right do anything in story mode or is it a feature mostly for ambition mode? I've only been playing story mode so far and I cannot tell if it affects anything.

Morale affects how much better your allies are compared to the enemy and how long they'll last in combat or, if morale is on your side, how quickly they'll win. This doesn't usually matter too much in Story and Free Mode though trying to optional objectives and collecting secret weapons can sometimes get complicated by morale issues. Playing normally and doing required objectives is usually enough to keep morale high so it's often a nonissue.

Now, in the post-Ambition Mode, morale is a pain in the rear end. For reasons you'll find out later if you ever beat basic Ambition Mode and complete the Tongquetai.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

I have some occasional controller issues with the 360 controller on PC, like ignoring a weapon switch or musou input, or getting stuck blocking. However, getting stuck blocking was how I learned you could strafe on a horse and spam charge attacks. That's probably basic DW knowledge but it took me 25 hours to discover. Thanks for the dodgy port, TK?

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

I'm playing with a DS3 using that BetterDS and I haven't had any problems whatsoever, feels just like on PS3.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Samurai Sanders posted:

I kinda asked before, but is anyone playing the PC version with a 360 controller (actually in my case a DS4 but it emulates the 360 controller perfectly thanks to an input wrapper) and it just feels weird, compared to any other PC game using the controller? The joystick dead zone is huge and seemingly not the same between vertical and horizontal, it sometimes ignores my inputs or something (I need to activate a musou right now to avoid an enemy's musou, but it doesn't activate and I get hit), and I dunno what else. It's the only deficiency of the PC version I can see.

It feels fine EXCEPT for when you're in an area where you can walk (So, pre-battle or in the camp). For whatever reason, in those areas, if you aren't following the cardinal directions, the character slows down and the game lags to hell and back until you stop moving diagonally. It's real weird. Using a wired 360 controller.

Very rarely it also gets stuck blocking but I just assume that's because I recenter the camera a lot using block, because I'm so used to the DW4/5 and SW1/2 era where if you were attacking facing towards the camera you literally might not hit anything because those dudes don't "exist" in a solid form yet.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 27, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Shima Honnou posted:

It feels fine EXCEPT for when you're in an area where you can walk (So, pre-battle or in the camp). For whatever reason, in those areas, if you aren't following the cardinal directions, the character slows down and the game lags to hell and back until you stop moving diagonally. It's real weird. Using a wired 360 controller.

Very rarely it also gets stuck blocking but I just assume that's because I recenter the camera a lot using block, because I'm so used to the DW4/5 and SW1/2 era where if you were attacking facing towards the camera you literally might not hit anything because those dudes don't "exist" in a solid form yet.
Yeah, those are the same problems I am having. At least I'm glad to know that they aren't related to my DS4 xinput setup. I wonder if they will be fixed eventually or if Koei has just thrown the PC version out there and doesn't intend to do anything else with it, like add in DLC costumes and stuff either?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

They did tweet about an Japanese language patch apparently, but I wouldn't expect to much. After your post I've been noticing I've been getting stuck in block mode a whole lot, mostly after getting of my horse. Guess you cursed me.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is Gundam Warriors like One Piece warriors, in that there are control points you need to capture by killing mooks in place of officers?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oddly enough, I noticed problems with my Razer Onza 360 controller (most notably issues while riding a horse or trying to run in anything besides a straight line) but I switched to a X-Box One controller when the drivers hit and I've had zero issues at all with those.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

Is Gundam Warriors like One Piece warriors, in that there are control points you need to capture by killing mooks in place of officers?

Haven't played One Piece but that sounds the same. Go to a big colored box on the map, kill a bunch of robots in it, capture it. In Reborn they sometimes have mobile fields attached to officers too.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mr. Locke posted:

Oddly enough, I noticed problems with my Razer Onza 360 controller (most notably issues while riding a horse or trying to run in anything besides a straight line) but I switched to a X-Box One controller when the drivers hit and I've had zero issues at all with those.
Oh, there are xbox one drivers for the PC finally? Is there any way to make my DS4 emulate those drivers instead of 360s? or is that not the way it works?

Reacean
Nov 29, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh, there are xbox one drivers for the PC finally? Is there any way to make my DS4 emulate those drivers instead of 360s? or is that not the way it works?

I don't have first hand experience, but my guess is that the xbox one controller drivers make it behave like a 360 pad on the PC, for past game compatibility. If you're already using the DS4 tools, you're essentially doing the same thing.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I didn't notice the block problem but then I never block to begin with anyway. Heavily-telegraphed attacks seem to guard-crush so I just run all over the place when people do them.

Incidentally I just started the Jin story and they've been the best so far. I'm curious though, was the Jin dynasty a particularly dark time in Chinese history? So far most Jin characters look and/or act like supervillains.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

Incidentally I just started the Jin story and they've been the best so far. I'm curious though, was the Jin dynasty a particularly dark time in Chinese history? So far most Jin characters look and/or act like supervillains.

Jin's portrayal strikes me as very much like ancient Chinese Decepticons, plus Tidus. They're quirky, charismatic, and interesting. They're also very obviously supposed to be "badguys."

The Jin dynasty was not especially long-lasting and on par with other relatively short dynasties. Historical accounts aren't glowing, but they're arguably not much worse than those who came before or after. Mostly, the dim view of the Jin dynasty is a result of fiction's need for clear moral narratives. Literature and folklore made tragic heroes of Shu so their conquerors must therefore be the villains.

If I'm not misremembering, a friend told me that very early on after the end of the 3 Kingdoms period, Wei and Jin were considered legitimate victors and lionized in their time. But when a non-Han ethnic government took hold northern China and the ethnic Han government-in-exile had to move south, the exiles (I'm guessing it was during the Northern and Southern Dynasties) wanted to symbolically legitimize themselves despite the fact that the new outsider regime held the traditional seat of power and the more economically powerful north. So they drew comparisons to the closest reasonably-legitimate southern power in history, the Shu Han, and began to lionize Shu as the symbolic rump state of the then-previous Han dynasty in a bit of historical revisionism. This filtered in through to historical perspectives and folklore, which became the basis of Luo Guanzhong's novel that presents an idealized Shu Han, which Dynasty Warriors took and ran with off a cliff*.

He may have also been pulling that out of his rear end, I dunno. Honestly, I'd like to know more about the truth of the matter myself.

*BENEVOLENCE

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Mr. Locke posted:

One of the many issues with those controllers. I've had the sticks go crooked and triggers just stop working, which sucks, because it's an awesome controller.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

*BENEVOLENCE

Benevolence is for imbeciles.

VVV They kinda tried making Jin as a whole look like less like crazy supervillains by making Sima Zhao their face and make him a more sympathetic character, but then his best friend and advisor is also a Dracula, so.

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 28, 2014

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It does make it kind of weird when you have a DW as an actionized heroic epic that devotes the final chapter to the supervillains after they won and killed everybody, though.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Jin's portrayal strikes me as very much like ancient Chinese Decepticons, plus Tidus. They're quirky, charismatic, and interesting. They're also very obviously supposed to be "badguys."
I would not be surprised if it's also a difference between how the times defined bad guys versus good guys, especially when you see the histories of both the Peach Garden Oath Brothers of Shu and the reality behind the Yellow Turbans... wouldn't be surprised if Koei had to turn the Yellow Turbans into the generic mystical enemies and Zhang Jiao into a cult leader because by our standards they'd be the good guys!

T.G. Xarbala posted:

If I'm not misremembering, a friend told me that very early on after the end of the 3 Kingdoms period, Wei and Jin were considered legitimate victors and lionized in their time. But when a non-Han ethnic government took hold northern China and the ethnic Han government-in-exile had to move south, the exiles (I'm guessing it was during the Northern and Southern Dynasties) wanted to symbolically legitimize themselves despite the fact that the new outsider regime held the traditional seat of power and the more economically powerful north. So they drew comparisons to the closest reasonably-legitimate southern power in history, the Shu Han, and began to lionize Shu as the symbolic rump state of the then-previous Han dynasty in a bit of historical revisionism. This filtered in through to historical perspectives and folklore, which became the basis of Luo Guanzhong's novel that presents an idealized Shu Han, which Dynasty Warriors took and ran with off a cliff*.
That's pretty much what I remember of it.

a cartoon duck posted:

VVV They kinda tried making Jin as a whole look like less like crazy supervillains by making Sima Zhao their face and make him a more sympathetic character, but then his best friend and advisor is also a Dracula, so.
It's foisting Sima Zhao's own historical seedier traits/moments (and agency) onto Jia Chong to make Sima Zhao himself less immediately culpable... just like how the novel divvied up a lot of the historical accomplishments (and therefore blame and credit alike) to different people.

Speedball posted:

It does make it kind of weird when you have a DW as an actionized heroic epic that devotes the final chapter to the supervillains after they won and killed everybody, though.
Well, that is how the book ends... Zhuge Liang dies in Chapter 104, with Jin's story taking up the remaining fifteen chapters alongside decades of failure by Jiang Wei, Chapter 119 has him and Zhong Hui go down and ends with Cao Huang abdicating to Sima Zhao's son Yan, and the last chapter is just the story of Wu's fall over the next fifteen years (that got a one-liner mention in Jin's DW7 ending).

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The last pages are also pretty boring because all the heroes and villains you've been reading about are all dead and the Sima clan doesn't even really pull off any great feats (except maybe Deng Ai), they just roll in and kick over the rotten structures propping up what's left of the Three Kingdoms.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Jin Dynasty is also weird to play because they are never actually called the Jin team at any point.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Speaking of the last bits of the novel, it's kind of funny how it tries to talk up Wen Yang as sort of the "last hero" of the era. The metaphorical reincarnation of Zhao Yun and all that.

The bittersweet fin de siècle of the Jin storyline is part of why I like the characters, besides the Sima family being cacklingly amusing and also kind of sweet, in an "Everybody Loves Raymond Sima Shi" sort of way. And DW8 presents Wen Yang much the way the novel does, with his main defining trait being sort of the last hurrah of the age of heroes (besides also being kind of hopelessly gullible). That's probably why he's my most-played character in Ambition mode, that and his incredibly snazzy armor. Because it sure isn't his Ex moveset, that's for sure. (His Javelin EX moves have some novelty value and are pretty neat to try to screencap, but are not really spectacular otherwise.)

Chortles posted:

That's pretty much what I remember of it.

Actually, I made a mistake. My friend did some digging since I last asked about the point in history where revisionism began to favor Shu Han over Wei and Eastern Jin. Apparently I was off by almost a millennium. It happened during the Song Dynasty, when the north was taken over by the Jurchens. (Starting from "The Novel's Use of Sources.") Apparently much of it was a matter of writers and the intellectual class trying to build support in the imperial court to continue resisting the Jurchens, as the Song government-in-exile was placed into a position similar to Shu Han's yet lacked the political will to effectively do so. And equating Cao Cao to the Jurchen-ethnic government was irreparably toxic to the poor man's reputation--though he was obviously far too dead to care by that point.

It's also interesting how reknowned Song-era folk hero, paragon of loyalty, and overall asskicker Yue Fei also helped to equate Han-ethnic Southern Song with Shu Han in the popular consciousness of the time. With that kind of endorsement, Shu's heroic reputation, deserved or not, was locked down for another thousand years.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Yue Fei would be kind of a cool character to put in Warriors Orochi (since it wouldn't make any sense to put him in any other Warriors games).

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

The last pages are also pretty boring because all the heroes and villains you've been reading about are all dead and the Sima clan doesn't even really pull off any great feats (except maybe Deng Ai), they just roll in and kick over the rotten structures propping up what's left of the Three Kingdoms.
Which is probably why Jin is written the way they are... Koei gotta put lipstick on that pig!

Tae posted:

Jin Dynasty is also weird to play because they are never actually called the Jin team at any point.
Ironically, the aforementioned DW7 ending inadvertently lampshaded them being called Jin after the events of the story, after Sima Zhao's death and Sima Yan's ascension to the throne in place of Cao Huang.

For what it's worth, I do admittedly view SGZ with a slightly more skeptical eye (as an official, commissioned work by a client with a vested interest in a favorable depiction), so it's interesting to see that afterword that lays out something more complex than merely "SGZ is the authoritative actual history" -- including an excerpt from a source that outright mirrors what I said above (contrasting Chen Shou's circumstances with those of Xi Zuochi) -- and amusing to see the explanation that "[t]he opportunistic Southland was never so appealing a model as the militant Riverlands." (Also, ironically the novel in the 'original' form also more "historical" in the sense of adhering to SGZ and ZZTJ than some of the sources and inspirations behind it, at least until the more famous and passed-down version by Mao Lun and his son Zonggang.)

Chortles fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 28, 2014

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
I like to pretend it's roughly the equivalent of someone making a video game about the American Civil War, and basing it off of "The Birth of a Nation".

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
That's... a bad comparison to make.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Professor Moriarty posted:

I like to pretend it's roughly the equivalent of someone making a video game about the American Civil War, and basing it off of "The Birth of a Nation".

Jesus, a car analogy would have been better than this.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

The platformer sequence in Xiahou Ba's escape must be the worst part in a DW game ever

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Davincie posted:

The platformer sequence in Xiahou Ba's escape must be the worst part in a DW game ever

Really? I thought it was piss-easy, and in any case it was way less frustrating than almost any castle stage in the original Samurai Warriors.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Finally got around to pre-ordering Hyrule Warriors. That game looks like it's going to be awesome. Two of my favorite franchises merging together. It will be beautiful.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

I am actually considering buying a PS4 early just to play a doesn't-look-like-poo poo version of SW4/OW3U. How big are the differences, really?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

PureRok posted:

Finally got around to pre-ordering Hyrule Warriors. That game looks like it's going to be awesome. Two of my favorite franchises merging together. It will be beautiful.

I'm hoping we get a Villain scenario otherwise it'll be Link and Co forever.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Finally got to 100% in Ambition Mode just to realize that it doesn't mark the end but in fact the start of Ambition Mode. Imagine my surprise.

Level 150 Lu Bu doesn't give a gently caress, I don't even have to get off my horse in Ultimate difficulty.

Usually I'm all about the story modes in DW games, but I haven't even touched it yet in DW8.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Chocobo posted:

Finally got to 100% in Ambition Mode just to realize that it doesn't mark the end but in fact the start of Ambition Mode. Imagine my surprise.

Level 150 Lu Bu doesn't give a gently caress, I don't even have to get off my horse in Ultimate difficulty.

Usually I'm all about the story modes in DW games, but I haven't even touched it yet in DW8.

So a thing about Lu Bu and his Helbard.

Is it supposed to go into super sayan mode when he switches to it? Literally every time when I am in trouble I switch to my ruler sword and back - which has a badass animation by the way - and suddenly the helbard just goes like 300% speed and 500% damage.

I've noticed it on other characters at well, and it just seems a bit silly that it literally rapes the living poo poo out of everything.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Yes, that's the halberd's switch, it gives you superman status for about 5 seconds and it can be done whenever you really need something to die.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Michaellaneous posted:

So a thing about Lu Bu and his Helbard.

Is it supposed to go into super sayan mode when he switches to it? Literally every time when I am in trouble I switch to my ruler sword and back - which has a badass animation by the way - and suddenly the helbard just goes like 300% speed and 500% damage.

I've noticed it on other characters at well, and it just seems a bit silly that it literally rapes the living poo poo out of everything.

Weapons have bonuses, the Halberd is getting a speed boost to attack animation whenever you switch weapons. That's why people recommend double Halberd on people you want to level fast via kills.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Unlucky7 posted:

The latest one(reborn) has slightly stronger mooks instead, and the occasional battleship or character(including the mobile armor pilots. Also mooks with fields attached to them, fields that contnuously spawn officer-y mooks wich try to take fields from you. Reborn also allows you to make your suits absurdly powerfull. I think my best hit with a single charged attack(non-musou) is something like 200 enemies(and 3 officers).

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Zhang Jiao used to be sort of a joke character in the old Dynasty Warriors games, so I took my time getting around to trying him. I will never play another character, he is loving awesome. His Musuo are all insane, and his voice acting is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Anyone else with dw8 on pc get some weird rear end attack speed bug with velocity where it keeps randomly teleporting you backwards while you're pressing buttons?