Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Dancing sovereign citizens need to be a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

FrozenVent posted:

Dancing sovereign citizens need to be a thing.

She was very close to shimmying. Definitely had some moves.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

William Munny posted:

Today one of my clients received an open records request asking them to run a criminal history on a man because the requestor was considering dating the man long term and wanted to see if he was lying about his past...

Maybe you shouldn't date him if you think he's lying to you about things???

Besides, just because he has a bad past doesn't mean that things can't work out.

She was a comely young woman and not without prospects. Therefore it was heartbreaking to her mother that she would enter into marriage with William Munny, a known thief and murderer, a man of notoriously vicious and intemperate disposition. When she died, it was not at his hands as her mother might have suspected, but of smallpox. That was 1878.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

CaptainScraps posted:

Every family law client intake--

"I don't care. I don't care. I don't care. DRUGS? That we can use. Are you on drugs too? Ahhhhh gently caress."

woozle wuzzle posted:

But he gave them to me!

Everything wrong with me is his/her fault! Everything wrong with him/her is his/her fault! Everything wrong with everything is his/her fault! I deserve free money!!!

I'll take a murder suspect over an average family law client any day.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
A case of mine is going really badly, and my client said:

"You know what, this case is a giant mess and it's one person's fault 100%"

(I brace for impact, and start looking for our signed contract)

"It's my fault. Had I done the right thing in the first place, none of this would have happened"

I had to pinch myself to see if I was dreaming.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

SlothBear posted:

Everything wrong with me is his/her fault! Everything wrong with him/her is his/her fault! Everything wrong with everything is his/her fault! I deserve free money!!!

I'll take a murder suspect over an average family law client any day.

Yep. My criminal clients thus far -- even those dealing with heavy weight -- are unfailingly polite, respectful, and easy to deal with. If there have been cases where we lost and the client was guilty, the criminal clients are understanding.

My family law clients are animals. I hate them.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Weird question, and maybe inappropriate for a comedy forum, but are there any good free American case law databases similar to CanLII.org?

I'm trying to look into conflict of law rules in some northern US states, but it seems to be mostly based on common law, and I have no idea where to look when it comes to US case law.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Google Scholar's not bad. It's far better for strange fact patterns than rules of law, but it's worth a look.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Arcturas posted:

Google Scholar's not bad. It's far better for strange fact patterns than rules of law, but it's worth a look.

Google Scholar is actually pretty good; the only complaint I have is that I can't do the classic "word within X words of another" search.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
I was also going to respond with google, but held back out of shame. Thank you for being my Michael Sam.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

If Google applied itself to putting together a proper headnoting and/or Shephardizing system they could probably do a wonderful job. But I think the available revenue models (subscription....and subscription?) are so different from their standard advertisement model that it's probably not worth it to Google to put the effort in.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Arcturas posted:

If Google applied itself to putting together a proper headnoting and/or Shephardizing system they could probably do a wonderful job. But I think the available revenue models (subscription....and subscription?) are so different from their standard advertisement model that it's probably not worth it to Google to put the effort in.

I just wish they'd "open" an API. I'd pay to have someone open source Shepard.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Is it not just leave it in the judges signature basket? (Assuming it's an agreed order I guess)

No, Judge told him to submit it under what we call the seven-day rule. Within seven days of the hearing, submit a proposed order and send a copy to the other side, along with notice that they have to object within seven days or the judge will sign it if it comports with his ruling.

The other side, in this instance, was a pro per -- a family law pro per -- so good luck getting them to agree to ANYTHING.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Alaemon posted:

No, Judge told him to submit it under what we call the seven-day rule. Within seven days of the hearing, submit a proposed order and send a copy to the other side, along with notice that they have to object within seven days or the judge will sign it if it comports with his ruling.

The other side, in this instance, was a pro per -- a family law pro per -- so good luck getting them to agree to ANYTHING.

Oh. Yeah, our convention is the same but with ten days. An attorney didn't know that? Jesus.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Roger_Mudd posted:

I just wish they'd "open" an API. I'd pay to have someone open source Shepard.

What's a basic texas only lexis or west law account run?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

What's a basic texas only lexis or west law account run?

$40.00 a month for lexis. $60-90 for lexis.

It's just the principle for me. Information wants to be free man!

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Roger_Mudd posted:

$40.00 a month for lexis. $60-90 for lexis.

It's just the principle for me. Information wants to be free man!

I've just always been curious. I get all access west law as part of my job, but I'd always imagined it cost a lot more than that.

If Google makes an alternative to Shepard or key cite, we're going to see more sovereign citizens quoting insanity.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Arcturas posted:

What about targeting liquor ads to the search context? Patent law = fine wines and scotch. Family law = Old Crow and bulk vodka.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Oh. Yeah, our convention is the same but with ten days. An attorney didn't know that? Jesus.

Not only didn't he know it, he couldn't figure it out after I gave him the citation for the rule.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

Arcturas posted:

Thanks for this, worked perfectly. I had no idea google scholar had that feature.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Alaemon posted:

Highlight of the week for me was dealing with an attorney who didn't know how to submit an order for the judge's signature. Even after I'd told him which court rule he needed to read.

At one point, he asked me where he could find the court rules.

Awesome.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?
I'm off work for the next six weeks for paternity leave. Two observations:
1) This is the longest stretch of not having to go to work or school I've had since I was sixteen, and is the longest I'll have until my mid-to-late sixties.
2) It's Saturday, so technically not even the first day of my leave, and I already feel like I should be checking up on my cases.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It's good that you've already gained your absentee father skills. Some people take years to reach that level.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ulmont posted:

Google Scholar is actually pretty good; the only complaint I have is that I can't do the classic "word within X words of another" search.

x AROUND() y is supposed to do something like that, though it definitely doesn't work perfectly (or let you do precise control of the distance between x and y) and it's undocumented so it could disappear without warning.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
i had to withdraw from a client's two federal lawsuits about a month ago. for one judge we needed to submit briefs + a motion and it was easy, but for the other i needed to attend a hearing that the client was ordered to show up to. the idea is that if duder doesn't show, the judge is satisfied that there's validity to the withdrawal request. so i go and the client - who has literally been completely rogue for two months - shows. the judge asks him during the hearing if he has any objection to our withdrawal and he says no. the judge asks him if he has anything else to say. he says:

"i'd really just like to apologize to mr. [STARSHIP]. he worked hard on my case the whole time. i know he has a young family and i don't know how he makes money, but i can't pay his bills so i don't know if he will get paid either. i'm really sorry about everything and i want to apologize to this court, mr. [STARSHIP], and [PLAINTIFF'S COUNSEL]."

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Did he wrap things up nicely by publicly committing seppuku?

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

ThirdPartyView posted:

Did he wrap things up nicely by publicly committing seppuku?

Perhaps it should just be legal to kill the person if they say such a thing in open court.

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

woozle wuzzle posted:

A case of mine is going really badly, and my client said:

"You know what, this case is a giant mess and it's one person's fault 100%"

(I brace for impact, and start looking for our signed contract)

"It's my fault. Had I done the right thing in the first place, none of this would have happened"

I was gonna post that he's merely buttering you up for non-payment with this self-effacing pity party, but then Feces Starship posted and saved me the effort.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Unamuno posted:

I was gonna post that he's merely buttering you up for non-payment with this self-effacing pity party, but then Feces Starship posted and saved me the effort.

I'm a law whore: they gotta leave cash on the nightstand for me to do a drat thing. I don't bill for poo poo.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I hate that I need to pay bar dues to be inactive. I'm literally paying them for the privilege of not being allowed to do anything.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
I'm half considering letting my second state license lapse because paying to be inactive AND their insane CLE requirements are getting old. It seems like a waste even so??

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Also, lol.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

A Game of Chess posted:

I'm half considering letting my second state license lapse because paying to be inactive AND their insane CLE requirements are getting old. It seems like a waste even so??

I used to be licensed in both WI and MN. When I stopped practicing I went to inactive in WI and withdrew from MN. In WI I pay reduced dues and do not need to do CLEs. But in MN the CLEs were still required so I withdrew. There was no way I was keeping up on that for a state where it was unlikely I would ever practice.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev

quepasa18 posted:

I used to be licensed in both WI and MN. When I stopped practicing I went to inactive in WI and withdrew from MN. In WI I pay reduced dues and do not need to do CLEs. But in MN the CLEs were still required so I withdrew. There was no way I was keeping up on that for a state where it was unlikely I would ever practice.

The only reason I'm keeping it up right now is because I'm not sure where I'm going to end up after my clerkship's over. A lot of the local firms like candidates ot have licenses in both states, though I'm going to try to avoid private practice if at all possible. After I figure out my next career move I'm going to seriously consider letting it lapse though.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

A Game of Chess posted:

The only reason I'm keeping it up right now is because I'm not sure where I'm going to end up after my clerkship's over. A lot of the local firms like candidates ot have licenses in both states, though I'm going to try to avoid private practice if at all possible. After I figure out my next career move I'm going to seriously consider letting it lapse though.

I got licensed in MN in the first place for that exact reason. I was clerking in WI but was open to going back to MN for the right job. So yeah, I think you are best keeping both. Or at least see what it would take to reactivate. In WI I just have to make sure I get all the CLEs for the two-year period in which I would become active again. In some states it is more burdensome.

As it is, the only thing I ever did in MN was get someone admitted pro hac vice. I never even changed my name there when I got married like I did in WI.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Jesus Christ.

Things might soon be only as bad as when going to law school was a terrible idea. Enroll now!!!

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
The best part is the guy posted a follow-up today after getting trashed on Above The Law. Above The Law trashed the follow-up later this afternoon.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

It's not only attorneys that frustrate me, sometimes, it's other courts.

So we got this case several months back on appeal. Like... February. Criminal conviction. Misdemeanor tresspass. As I start digging into it, I notice that there was a motion to dismiss filed, and no order ever entered afterwards. Ditto for a motion in limine. Naturally there's nothing in the record to reflect the ruling -- although since it went to trial, it's a safe bet that the motion to dismiss wasn't granted.

Okay, so we remand back down to the lower court. Please enter these two orders and return to us for appeal. THREE MONTHS PASS. And the orders we get? "For the reasons stated on the record, motion is denied."

On top of that, we get the record back but the lower court doesn't send us the form saying "hey, I sent you the whole record."

So I tell the clerks to send the record back because we need the completed form to go with it.

Today, we got the FORM back and the lower court kept the record.

Seriously?

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
Speaking of Sovereign Citizens, some interesting things going on in Maine.

Article posted:

Why Did Maine's Governor Conspire With 'Sovereign Citizen' Extremists?
...Bennett did not address why LePage met with the group eight times, why a county sheriff was asked to look into their demands or why the governor’s legal staff was asked to draft an opinion of the group’s claims that Senate President Justin Alfond, D-Portland, and House Speaker Mark Eves, D-North Berwick, should be arrested and executed.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/lepage-maine-sovereign-citizen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Alaemon what exactly is your job?