Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Does Fire TV/XBMC have Aereo support? That's what pushed me towards a Roku.

Aereo is being shut down at 11:30am today, they didn't get much time after the ruling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh wait, I uninstalled whatever hacky Plex BBC iPlayer plugin I downloaded off the web because I realized Plex has one on its Channels page. Once I installed that it had zero problems picking up Live BBC News and a bunch of other BBC channels.

I still get "unavailable" when I try to browse through individual shows on other BBC channels, but I'm chalking that up to.. well, I don't know what, but I really only wanted this running to watch BBC News and now it works perfectly!

If I could cut out the Plex in the middle and just use iPlayer on my Roku3 straight up that would be great, but that's not likely to happen until I actually move to the UK :q:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

BigFactory posted:

I understand that. I'm asking if there is support through things other than Roku, but I guess I'll ask somewhere else on the internet.

I'm wasn't trying to be rude, I was trying to explain to Aereo the company is out of business so having support for that service is useless at this point.

Also Wooty, I know about XBMC, I used it for several years from the original xbox to an Acer Revo to an ATV2. I switched to a Roku/Plex combination because the back end for managing media is way better and if your main goal is playing local media on your TV then Plex is just as capable. Once you start getting into niche plugins and those weird :filez: streams then XBMC is much better.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 28, 2014

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Does the roku have zune support?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
So long Aereo. You were too good of an idea, I guess.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

BigFactory posted:

So long Aereo. You were too good of an idea, I guess.

You know that old saying, "How can you keep a boy on the farm after he's seen Paris?" I think that applies to Aereo. Too many people are getting options and choices beyond what Comcast or whomever is offering and they don't want to go back to the way is was. The music industry changed, and TV isn't far behind.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

USTV Now is still an option, it's just not local news

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Don Lapre posted:

Does the roku have zune support?

Probably not because it isn't 2008.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

withak posted:

Probably not because it isn't 2008.

It was a joke about the guy making a decision on set top boxes based on aereo support.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Don Lapre posted:

It was a joke about the guy making a decision on set top boxes based on aereo support.

I see.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Thank you guys for all the posts.

What I THINK, I am doing now.

I am 99% sure we are just going to go to straight internet and get a Magic Jack for phone. I have netflix, and I'll probably sign up for hulu and amazon prime as well.

I think we're going to buy the Roku 3 for our main television and buy chromecast for the bedroom.

My wife has one concern: She wants to be able to watch The Walking Dead relatively quickly after it airs.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Magic Jack blows. Do you really need a land line?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Pillowpants posted:

My wife has one concern: She wants to be able to watch The Walking Dead relatively quickly after it airs.

If you go the official route, you can get the SD version for $1.89 an episode with Amazon TV pass. They usually put up the episode within 24 hours of air.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

Magic Jack blows.

In what way? I've heard people say that but I haven't gotten direct answers out of anybody as to why (the people who've said it to me haven't used it).

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Magic Jack blows. Do you really need a land line?

My wife works from home two days a week as part of her job and our verizon cell phones are only slightly better than the AT&T service we had before.

I know someone had mentioned somehow boosting the signal, but I'm not sure how

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
My mother in law has a magic jack. Every time she calls, the call quality is poo poo. It constantly disconnects the call.

As for boosting your cell reception call AT&T and ask for a femtocell. They might give it to you or they might make you buy it. Either way if cell reception is a critical thing for you it's worth having.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

My mother in law has a magic jack. Every time she calls, the call quality is poo poo. It constantly disconnects the call.

Hasn't been my experience at least. Is it a magicjack PLUS? If it's one of those older ones routed through a USB port on an old computer it could be part of the issue. Also, I wonder what kind of ISP and upload speed she has as a slower connection could be an issue too.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Pillowpants posted:

My wife works from home two days a week as part of her job and our verizon cell phones are only slightly better than the AT&T service we had before.

I know someone had mentioned somehow boosting the signal, but I'm not sure how

http://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/samsung-network-extender-scs-2u01/

If you signal at home is poo poo you might be able to talk Verizon into giving it to you for free. It doesn't boost the single, it's a tiny cell station.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I ended up with a ObiHai box and a PhonePower plan for a landline and it's pretty nice. $40 for the box and $3.50/mo for service.

PhonePower sells a box directly too I think.

http://www.phonepower.com/voiphome.aspx

EDIT: If you buy the ObiHai box and go through their portal they have a special promo of PhonePower service for only $35/year instead of the usual $100

http://www.obitalk.com/info/asp/phonepower

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 29, 2014

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Photex posted:

Aereo is being shut down at 11:30am today, they didn't get much time after the ruling

Just to clarify, Aereo was not shut down. They are shutting their service off voluntarily while discussing their next moves with the courts. Aereo has always been a ballsy company, and I fully expect them to reopen with some new kind of technologic edge and a slightly tweaked service.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Aereo: the napster of streaming television.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.

Martytoof posted:

Oh wait, I uninstalled whatever hacky Plex BBC iPlayer plugin I downloaded off the web because I realized Plex has one on its Channels page. Once I installed that it had zero problems picking up Live BBC News and a bunch of other BBC channels.

I must be missing something but I could not find anything BBC related in Plex. Where is it listed?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

I must be missing something but I could not find anything BBC related in Plex. Where is it listed?

I right clicked on the Plex media server in my tray, fire up media manager, then:

Channels -> Install Channels -> Most Popular, and it's at the bottoom under BBC iPlayer. It's also under Featured, News, etc.

You may or may not need to go to Settings -> Server -> Channels -> Directory Settings and select UK as your region.

I don't think I did anything else to install this, though I did pull down some iPlayer plugin from github which I quickly deleted after it was giving me issues, at which point I found the current iPlayer I'm using in the Channels guide and installed that instead. Not sure if that's related or not.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So I bought an amazon fire tv today, then went out and got drunk. Now I'm going to try to install XBMC and have all the tv.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

tesilential posted:

So I bought an amazon fire tv today, then went out and got drunk. Now I'm going to try to install XBMC and have all the tv.

So how did this go? is ADB hard while intoxicated?

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gozinbulx posted:

So how did this go? is ADB hard while intoxicated?

It was actually pretty simple. I got it all setup fairly easily. I did mispell a couple repositories like 4x so I have a bunch of dead repos that I can't figure out how to remove lol.

But I did a trial run and I can definitely pull some live sports streams and pron pretty drat quick, so far so good.

Assuming I can actually find the games I'm trying to watch when they are happening, then I would say this is a way better alternative to Apple TV or Roku. It basically lets me do everything I could on those, and also browse whatever I want from the internet without using my macbook at all.

I'd like to say thanks to you and this thread because I wasn't considering a FireTV at all until I realized I could use XBMC for a lot of what I need.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Glad you like it.

XBMC is incredible. You will definitely get to watch the streams you want.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone still use those old-rear end giant rooftop antennas to get OTA HDTV?

If it leads to consistent signal quality compared with a Mohu Leaf or whatever, I'd be willing to buy one.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

EugeneJ posted:

Does anyone still use those old-rear end giant rooftop antennas to get OTA HDTV?

If it leads to consistent signal quality compared with a Mohu Leaf or whatever, I'd be willing to buy one.

I would in a heartbeat if I could. I live in an apartment though.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

EugeneJ posted:

I do. I rent the first floor of a two family house. We have access to the attic for storage and there's a huge antenna just standing in the back of the attic. There was a coax coming from it that vanished into the wall. I put a toner on it and found it comes out right next to my TV so I just plugged it in and got TV.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I do. I rent the first floor of a two family house. We have access to the attic for storage and there's a huge antenna just standing in the back of the attic. There was a coax coming from it that vanished into the wall. I put a toner on it and found it comes out right next to my TV so I just plugged it in and got TV.

How's the signal? Is it powered by anything?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

EugeneJ posted:

Antennae don't need to be powered. Go check out your area on TVFool.com, it'll help you determine what stations you should receive (and where to point your antenna)

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

EugeneJ posted:

Excellent. I live in the NYC area so I get a lot of service, plus my house is on the top of a hill. I get about 40 channels, but only maybe 10 of them are really TV, the rest are odd Korean Christian stations and NYC traffic cameras.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.
Not sure if this belongs here or an audio thread.

Anyway, I just got the Mohu Leaf antenna and noticed the sound is really low compared to my normal DirecTV/Roku/Blu-ray setup. If I have the DirectTV levels at 12, I have to have the antenna levels at 30 for comparable sound. I'd rather not have to switch back and forth when I switch between watching a movie or watching television.

Is this normal and can I do anything about it?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

Not sure if this belongs here or an audio thread.

Anyway, I just got the Mohu Leaf antenna and noticed the sound is really low compared to my normal DirecTV/Roku/Blu-ray setup. If I have the DirectTV levels at 12, I have to have the antenna levels at 30 for comparable sound. I'd rather not have to switch back and forth when I switch between watching a movie or watching television.

Is this normal and can I do anything about it?

If you connect them to a receiver you can probably specify the base volume for each input. If they go directly into your TV then you are sunk.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Excellent. I live in the NYC area so I get a lot of service, plus my house is on the top of a hill. I get about 40 channels, but only maybe 10 of them are really TV, the rest are odd Korean Christian stations and NYC traffic cameras.

Do you get channels like Antenna TV or MeTV with lots of old reruns?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

EugeneJ posted:

I use a clearstream 2v /w VHF attachment on my roof and a wineguard amplifier. Works great. Its as solid a signal as cable.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dr Tran posted:

Do you get channels like Antenna TV or MeTV with lots of old reruns?

I live just north of Cincinnati, so I get their channels and Dayton's, 44 in total. I get both those channels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

EugeneJ posted:

Yep, works great except that I live in the boons between two cities so I get most of the Baton Rouge channels and very few Lafayette ones. Hooked up to an Electroline amplifier and has a beautiful picture.