Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
The FireTV has been rooted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Gozinbulx posted:

The FireTV has been rooted

What does this mean for us? Launching XBMC without going into SETTINGS->APPS?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Legdiian posted:

What does this mean for us? Launching XBMC without going into SETTINGS->APPS?

At the moment this means the FireTV can now use external usb storage. You have to manually mount the disks each time though. Eventually things should get streamlined/they should be able to get a different launcher on there.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Yeah it should only be a matter of time.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Good news, remains to be seen how Amazon handles roots with updates (they almost always fix the exploit that allowed root and remove access, and with the Kindle Fire's it's been a cat and mouse game for a while now, though Firerooter still seems to work for those). Half the appeal of this device is to be able to access XBMC AND official streaming apps so at some point new updates are going to be needed.

The usual Android Rooted-Rodeo, in other words.

You can disable updates - the XDA thread has instructions - but this early in the AFTV's life that isn't a good long-term strategy.

Probably a short matter of time before someone puts together a USB auto-mount script that works with it. As for homescreen shortcut access for sideloaded apps, even rooted I imagine that is going to take some doing though I don't doubt someone will figure it out.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Has anyone had success with a personal PVR setup? I'd like a pure linux setup serving multiple devices. I purchased the HDHomerun prime. While the device works great, the software solutions I've been looking into have not.

I can't get MythTV to do anything and TVHeadend or wutev is garbage. Most of the guides I've seen are vague.

Anyone have some actual success in this area and willing to explain how?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Has anyone had success with a personal PVR setup? I'd like a pure linux setup serving multiple devices. I purchased the HDHomerun prime. While the device works great, the software solutions I've been looking into have not.

I can't get MythTV to do anything and TVHeadend or wutev is garbage. Most of the guides I've seen are vague.

Anyone have some actual success in this area and willing to explain how?

Yes, I've been doing it for years (8 and counting) and if you are talking about capturing subscription services like cable and not free OTA TV and you are in the US (since you mentioned the Prime I assume you are) then the first thing you need to do is give up on using Linux for the TV server itself because it's not happening - it's possible, under the right set of circumstances, to get it to work but trust me, it is a huge pain in the rear end both to set up and maintain. You can use Linux-based *clients* (like those running OpenElec) to connect to a separate TV server but when it comes to either Cable Card or capture devices Windows is where it is at. It's remotely possible that you'll luck - and it really is luck - in to a local cable franchise that doesn't flag content and you can also get the Prime to work with Myth - but good luck. It is a royal pain in the rear end even if everything else is perfect.

Cable Card has other limitations. There are several reasons for all of this, all of which involve - surprise - DRM fuckery and extreme foot-dragging on the part of Big Cable to support anything outside of the boxes they rent you.

Brief overview:

CableCard, if you can get it to work, is the best option. Channel changing alone is better simply because you won't have to deal with an IR Blasting setup nightmare. However, for CC to work with *any PC based TV Server" one of two things has to be true: Either the software has to support the required DRM (right now that is one and only one: Windows Media Center) OR you are lucky enough to subscribe to a cable franchise that does not "flag" it's content as record-once (or record-never).

Note this flag has nothing to do with whether you actually record or not - if it's present, it means there's DRM, and it means the Prime (and all other CableCard tuners) will not send the signal to software that doesn't support it, i.e. anything other than Windows Media Center. There are no "hacks" around this either.

What makes this process even more maddening is it's not policy dictated (or rather, enforced) by the national company - it's up to each local charter to enable or not. So, for example, Comcast in one town may not have flagged content, and Comcast in the next down over does. Or they may flag some content but not others (usually all pay TV channels, like HBO, are flagged, because those services enforce their own policies). In a lot of cases finding out what situation you are in is a matter of buying a setup and trying it - calling the tech support line is normally a waste of time, they don't know or care.

So, maybe your content isn't flagged - or at least the channels you care about aren't. Maybe it is. Maybe it's not and some tech has it on his list and will enable it the day after you get everything set up. You don't know, and won't know, and legally you have no recourse. All that said, if you are lucky and have unflagged content and a local cable franchise that doesn't give a poo poo then you can probably get it to work - I am pretty sure MythTV has basic CC support, though from what I have read it is a real pain in the rear end and doesn't always work.

Option Two is what I do - Capture Card. I use the Hauppauge Colossus, an internal PCI-e card that can capture HDMI and component video/analog/digital audio from any device that has those outputs, which luckily is still most of them (though I would bet in 5 years that won't be the case). Note that if your cable box outputs a HDCP protected signal over HDMI (some do, some don't - same as the CableCard situation, depends on the operator) you won't be able to use that but if your box also has component (not composite, that's different) video/audio you can use that instead - there's no way to encrypt analog signals, which is why Big Cable is trying to do away with those ports - and still get a very good HD quality signal.

The Colossus is Windows-only. The HD-PVR, (NOT the "2" version) is an external USB box that does the same thing and it has Linux driver support so it's possible to use with MythTV - though it's been years since I tried.

To work with either of those you'll also need to use an external IR Blaster that you tape to the front of your cable box - that changes channels.

It works, and it's an ok experience - channel changes are slow, but you don't have to pay PVR fees to your provider nor deal with their usually lovely ad-filled interfaces. Obviously there is a lot more to this so I recommend heading over to the XBMC PVR forums and start reading up - you have a project ahead of you.

By the way if I had to do it from scratch today I wouldn't bother. A setup using OTA (Over The Air) TV is much easier to deal with and those channels plus all the streaming options available today are enough; the only reason I am holding on is because I like HBO Go and I can't get it without a cable subscription. I know I could always get those shows "another" way but I find Go to be a really good service. Luckily I've come to like (and record via capture) shows on AMC and FX too otherwise I'd essentially be paying $90 a month for HBO Go - if they ever change this (not likely soon) I will drop cable like a hot rock.

Edit: There is an XMBC PVR addon that works with Windows Media Center as a back end, and some folks apparently have had good luck with it, though I can't tell if it still requires the channel to have no DRM flags set to work with XBMC itself. You might want to look in to that one if you are really set on doing this. You'll still need a Windows Media Server backend but at least you can use XBMC for your front end - if it works, of course.

Edit 2: Oh, and you'll also need a way to get the actual TV schedules for your guide. Windows Media Center will do that for you, if you aren't using that then Schedules Direct (what I use) works good too, it's $25 a year though.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 22, 2014

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

I gave in to windows an am using WMC as my software DVR solution. Now the issue is the DRM protected recorded content. How do I, or can I, stream recorded content to other devices? My custom DVR setup is my desktop and I don't really want to watch recorded TV in the office.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I gave in to windows an am using WMC as my software DVR solution. Now the issue is the DRM protected recorded content. How do I, or can I, stream recorded content to other devices? My custom DVR setup is my desktop and I don't really want to watch recorded TV in the office.

You can't. I think there is still a way to strip it - at least there was a few years ago - but you'll have to do that manually (or script it, I suppose).

Forgot about that - not much point in using it as a back end PVR if all you can do is watch live, in progress TV with it. And if there's no DRM that means your channels aren't flagged in which case you don't need WMC in the first place.

CableCard just blows for HTPC, that's all there is to it. Ironically I've gone through a terrific amount of trouble (and cost) just to be able to capture and record channels I actually pay for. It's unimaginably more simple just to use a Sickbeard/SABNZBD setup to download them which is why these idiots are going to lose eventually.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

That's a shame. Pretty much all content is fine save a few channels. If anyone happens to know a less manual way I'd be interested to know how.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

That's a shame. Pretty much all content is fine save a few channels. If anyone happens to know a less manual way I'd be interested to know how.

Build a decent HTPC. I use an mATX setup with an i3.

If you want more than one channel at a time (to record and watch, etc) then get a couple Hauppauge Colossus capture cards.

Get two bare-bones HD capable cable/satellite boxes that have component video outputs. This will be the hardest part for a lot of people because both boxes will need to be located next to one another, which is unusual - the splitter tech that most companies use for dual-tuner boxes *will not work* for this kind of setup, in case you wondered. You'll probably need two separate cable connections in the same place, which most houses won't have. Older ones, from back in 2003-5 when you had to do that for dual-tuner boxes, might, YMMV.

Again, the fact that you have a box now that can tune 2, 4, or whatever channels off a single coax connection has no bearing on a capture setup. You need two (or more) boxes and two outputs.

Or, just use one and one - you'll only be able to watch/record one channel at a time this way but that might be just fine for your needs.

Use NPVR. It's Windows-only, but that's ok because the Colossus cards don't have drivers for anything other than Windows anyway.

Get an IR blaster that supports two (or however many boxes/cards you want) blaster outputs. The gold standard is still the Microsoft MCE receiver, which you can still find on Ebay. It works with pretty much everything, including NPVR.

(There are other options for channel tuning, like Firewire, ethernet, etc but those are very, very dependant on the type of box you have. Safest and easiest is IR blasting, since that works with everything that has an IR receiver, which is everything in the cable/satellite tuner world even today).

Subscribe to Schedules Direct. $25 a year. Deal with it.

Set up NPVR to use and change channels with all this. I found it to be surprisingly easy, but then I have been doing this for nearly a decade with the software equivalent of spit and duct tape so if you really, really want a guide let me know.

Set up the NPVR PVR client in XBMC (or your media center of choice) and congratulations, you have a working setup that will tune and record from any channel you pay for, even premium ones, and anything you record is DRM-free. Channel changes are a little slow which may annoy you but them's the breaks.

From there you can even set up NPVR to auto-encode anything you record so you can transfer it to your mobile device/whatever. That way you can sleep soundly at night knowing you can watch Game of Thrones on your iPad without having to resort to being a dirty pirate....at least until you release that being a dirty pirate is not merely "free" but in fact is 10,000 times easy than going through all this trouble. Blame Big Media if you want, that's kind of how it is right now.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I haven't really looked at skins since Frodo came out in January 2013.

I just now updated to Gotham and it looks like the new version of Aeon Nox takes out two features that are important to me.

So, I'm looking for a skin that has recently added and recommended widgets visible at the same time for both Tv Shows and Movies as well as support for next aired information on TV shows.

It looks like I can get the old version of Nox that's been modded for Gotham, but it's not in the repo and probably won't be updated very much. I'll use it if I need to, but it'd be nice to change things up.

Anyone know of any skins matching my requirements?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Thermopyle posted:

I just now updated to Gotham and it looks like the new version of Aeon Nox takes out two features that are important to me.

So, I'm looking for a skin that has recently added and recommended widgets visible at the same time for both Tv Shows and Movies as well as support for next aired information on TV shows.

It looks like I can get the old version of Nox that's been modded for Gotham, but it's not in the repo and probably won't be updated very much. I'll use it if I need to, but it'd be nice to change things up.

I'm using ace and I really like it.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Thermopyle posted:

I'm totally with you re: Nox 5, feels like half the features and customization options I was using in the past got cut out. On the other hand they managed to once again improve aesthetics and stability, so going back to a non-repo version of Nox 4 held together with a few bits of tape doesn't appeal much either.

You might enjoy Amber. It's been developed in a very Aeon-esque design direction, and should satisfy your wish for latest/recommended episodes and movie widgets very well since those are basically the centerpieces of its main menu once enabled. Can't remember if the next aired info is integrated or not, though.

Come to think of it, Amber's the only non-Aeon skin I've been able to use in years without just sitting there getting pissed by everything looking like poo poo. For the last month I've been back testing Nox 5, but I do miss those convenient widgets...

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Keito posted:

Come to think of it, Amber's the only non-Aeon skin I've been able to use in years without just sitting there getting pissed by everything looking like poo poo. For the last month I've been back testing Nox 5, but I do miss those convenient widgets...

This is my exact thoughts. Amber is great. I like Aeon Nox still though, it seems so polished versus everything else. I really think Aeon Nox 5 should take over as the default xbmc skin, especially now that it isnt as resource heavy as version 4 was.

There is that other skin everone loved that isn't in the repo yet. I cant remember the name but it was being mentioned a few times per week for awhile there.

redhalo
May 19, 2009

jonathan posted:

This is my exact thoughts. Amber is great. I like Aeon Nox still though, it seems so polished versus everything else. I really think Aeon Nox 5 should take over as the default xbmc skin, especially now that it isnt as resource heavy as version 4 was.

There is that other skin everone loved that isn't in the repo yet. I cant remember the name but it was being mentioned a few times per week for awhile there.

Eminence?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Aeon mq is a pretty good skin if you liked NOx 4 but not 5. I has most of the same features an customizations.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

redhalo posted:

Eminence?

Yes, Eminence. The developer is back on it (he had Uni exams) and expects it to be in the official repo by August.

It is pretty awesome, too. I "love" the hubs feature that it and a few other skins are moving to - some of them do it pretty badly, but Eminence actually makes me like hubs for content (and gives you the option to disable them if you don't so it's a win for everyone).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Eminence is pretty nice.

I would prefer recent and in-progress widgets on the homescreen, but I can put one on the home screen and one on the hub.

I would also prefer a view on the Next Aired addon that showed more shows instead of the two posters max is shows now, but as far as I can tell there's no way to change the view.

I also wish it exposed the next aired date when you're browsing shows like Nox does, but as far as I can tell you can't. There's an option to show in in the RSS feed, but I can't seem to get that to work.

Amber is also nice.

It has nice homescreen widgets. It doesn't have Next Aired skinned, so it looks like Confluence, and of course doesn't have the next aired date when browsing shows.

Actually, the Confluence skin for Next Aired is the best organized one I've seen, it just doesn't match the rest of the skin when you open it.

I guess I'm just too used to the features of Aeon Nox 4. However, I think I'm going to try and give Eminence a go for a while.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Despite being a UK person, I've not installed the TV Catchup plugin that essentially is an iptv version of our fta channels, but I just gave it a test and I'm pretty impressed.

Best part? The plugin is developed by the site themselves, no more pain from 3rd party hack arounds. Hats off to them for not just ignoring a plugin as a threat, but getting involved and doing a good job of it.

http://plugins.tvcatchup.com/~xbmc

Might worth with a DNS foolery service like Unblock US, so could be worth looking into even if you're not a Brit.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Ace in the horizontal view is pretty nice for recently added/in progress/etc. You can also toggle the widgets right from the main menu which is a bonus. I usually leave mine on Recently Added and just use the single in progress one but its nice to be able to flip it to randomized entries or to all of your in progress stuff quickly. I don't know about next aired though, never tried it with that skin.

Eminence is the WebOS one? I didn't really care for it. I'll give Amber a whirl later.

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

Despite being a UK person, I've not installed the TV Catchup plugin that essentially is an iptv version of our fta channels, but I just gave it a test and I'm pretty impressed.

Best part? The plugin is developed by the site themselves, no more pain from 3rd party hack arounds. Hats off to them for not just ignoring a plugin as a threat, but getting involved and doing a good job of it.

http://plugins.tvcatchup.com/~xbmc

Might worth with a DNS foolery service like Unblock US, so could be worth looking into even if you're not a Brit.
Looks cool, but: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TVCatchup

quote:

On 4 June 2014 Tvcatchup Limited went into Administration with an order being made in the High Court of Justice in London
Enjoy it while it lasts.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha, great timing on my behalf. They lost a bunch of channels at the end of last year, I bet that didn't help.

Good to see once again British TV gets worse as time goes on. The DTV service we had back in the 90s is better than we have in 2014.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ha, great timing on my behalf. They lost a bunch of channels at the end of last year, I bet that didn't help.

Good to see once again British TV gets worse as time goes on. The DTV service we had back in the 90s is better than we have in 2014.

And even that was a downgrade as we went from being to see just about everything Pan Europe to the lovely thing they call a French channel and a million Asian channels.

redhalo
May 19, 2009

Ixian posted:

Yes, Eminence. The developer is back on it (he had Uni exams) and expects it to be in the official repo by August.

It is pretty awesome, too. I "love" the hubs feature that it and a few other skins are moving to - some of them do it pretty badly, but Eminence actually makes me like hubs for content (and gives you the option to disable them if you don't so it's a win for everyone).

If you use PseudoTV Live, I have a custom skin made for it that matches Eminence. It's a work in progress, I have more features to add when the mood strikes me.
https://github.com/redhalo/eminence-pseudotv-live-skin

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty

redhalo posted:

If you use PseudoTV Live, I have a custom skin made for it that matches Eminence. It's a work in progress, I have more features to add when the mood strikes me.
https://github.com/redhalo/eminence-pseudotv-live-skin

Thanks for this! Can't wait to try it out.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

ConanThe3rd posted:

And even that was a downgrade as we went from being to see just about everything Pan Europe to the lovely thing they call a French channel and a million Asian channels.

Have you seen Zattoo.com ? My DNS service has me go in as a Swiss viewer, which gives me 140 channels of European TV. I did a few tests, quality seems alright if nothing incredible on the free version (I'm watching on a 27" iMac at 1440p mind, so anything less than 720p generally looks naff on here). Annoyingly no XBMC plugin as far as I can see, and the Appstore doesn't seem to have the iOS app in either UK or US store right now.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I got a fireTV and put XBMC on it and did the llama stuff and its awesome, but whats the best way to get my stuff streaming from my PC to the XBMC? I can use PS3 Media Server, but is there a superior option there? I have a windows 7 PC.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Jerkface posted:

I got a fireTV and put XBMC on it and did the llama stuff and its awesome, but whats the best way to get my stuff streaming from my PC to the XBMC? I can use PS3 Media Server, but is there a superior option there? I have a windows 7 PC.

Just use normal Windows file sharing and set the paths up in XBMC. Simple as that.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

G-Prime posted:

Just use normal Windows file sharing and set the paths up in XBMC. Simple as that.

This is the answer. No complicated programs, no transcoding, just share the files on the network and thats it.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Thanks buds, I am using this right now to set it up: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=SMB/Windows

I always hated this windows 7 file sharing because its always asking me for usernames & passwords and poo poo and Im hoping when Im done with this I will just have my drat folders shared on the network

edit: Confirmed this works, thanks again!

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 4, 2014

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I feel ya. I believe you can run CIFS on windows... right? I've never done it but its the preferred method I think.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Gozinbulx posted:

I feel ya. I believe you can run CIFS on windows... right? I've never done it but its the preferred method I think.

I'm sure I'm wrong on some deep technical level, but SMB is CIFS.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Gozinbulx posted:

Quixzlizx posted:

I'm sure I'm wrong on some deep technical level, but SMB is CIFS.

CIFS is a subset of SMB, and rather outdated. SMB v2 was implemented in Win Vista, and Win 8 runs SMB v3.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Woops, I'm stupid. Ignore me

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009
Scraping question: I have some shows that are a little obscure, so they have entries on thetvdb but their entries are missing a lot of episodes, so when I update my library, it misses a bunch of episodes that I have. Is there a way to manually add the episodes back into my library if thetvdb can't pick it up, or is there a way to select another scraper just for certain series to see if it can be picked up elsewhere?

On the same topic, I have some shows that are divided into two segments, so thetvdb lists them as two seperate episode. In reality they were one episode when they aired and I have one file for each episode. What ends up happening is the episode descriptions become mismatched. Is there a way to fix that as well?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Belle Isle Tech posted:

Scraping question: I have some shows that are a little obscure, so they have entries on thetvdb but their entries are missing a lot of episodes, so when I update my library, it misses a bunch of episodes that I have. Is there a way to manually add the episodes back into my library if thetvdb can't pick it up, or is there a way to select another scraper just for certain series to see if it can be picked up elsewhere?
Add the episodes to thetvdb if your shows are lacking information, then you can scrape them into your library and others get to benefit too.

Belle Isle Tech posted:

On the same topic, I have some shows that are divided into two segments, so thetvdb lists them as two seperate episode. In reality they were one episode when they aired and I have one file for each episode. What ends up happening is the episode descriptions become mismatched. Is there a way to fix that as well?
That's tvdb policy, either switch to xem scraping or deal with it and rename your files (ie. S01E01E02).

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009

Keito posted:

Add the episodes to thetvdb if your shows are lacking information, then you can scrape them into your library and others get to benefit too.

That's tvdb policy, either switch to xem scraping or deal with it and rename your files (ie. S01E01E02).

Thanks for the tips, I'll give that a shot. The only problems I can forsee with making my own entries into thetvdb is that some shows in particular that I'm having issues with are gameshows or talkshows that were usually identified by the date it was aired, so I would have no idea what the episode numbers would be. Googling around to try to find that information doesn't come seem to help, so it seems that information is lost to time.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Somehow my XBMC lost YouTube auth so I have to manually fix the auth token again. It is crazy how it's been this long and no one has stepped up to make a working XBMC add-on since the last one was abandoned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

amitlu posted:

Somehow my XBMC lost YouTube auth so I have to manually fix the auth token again. It is crazy how it's been this long and no one has stepped up to make a working XBMC add-on since the last one was abandoned.

I pretty much gave up on youtube in XBMC once I got my chromecast. If you do a lot of youtube watching its a worthwhile purchase.