Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bongo Bill posted:

It's a bad, dangerous idea to even bring it up outside of its thread, unless you're going to be using much more obvious jokes than that. You don't want to risk a poster who will answer the question sincerely showing up and doing that all over your thread. Not even in ADTRW.

I have a question. Apart from Lupin the 3rd and Golgo 13, what animes have good heists or other elaborately-planned crimes?

So, it's kind of a forums' no-no to talk about Homestuck outside of its own thread? :doh: Figures that I had to stick that foot straight into my mouth without realizing.

Regarding your question / request, check out Daughter of Twenty Faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So since Summer looks so awful... Log Horizon and/or Coffin Princess Chaika: Yay or nay? The latter shows up a lot in the animated gif thread so I assume it's somewhat decent, and the former somehow got 1400 posts which never seems to happen these days except for big series.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Wark Say posted:

So, it's kind of a forums' no-no to talk about Homestuck outside of its own thread? :doh: Figures that I had to stick that foot straight into my mouth without realizing.

Regarding your question / request, check out Daughter of Twenty Faces.

This is not forums advice, but life advice. Thank you for your recommendation.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

So since Summer looks so awful... Log Horizon and/or Coffin Princess Chaika: Yay or nay? The latter shows up a lot in the animated gif thread so I assume it's somewhat decent, and the former somehow got 1400 posts which never seems to happen these days except for big series.
Chaika is one of those rare light novel adaptations that works. It's well directed, the writers knew when to have restraint and when to let the animation do the work, the animation was good when it needed to be, the characters are all fun to watch and the story is interesting.

Can't wait till the second half airs in the fall.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Chaika is a whole lot of fun and really balances its comedy, drama, and action quite well. I wish we didn't have to wait for the second season, but at least it's not too awfully far away.

Didn't watch Log Horizon, I think it's sitting in my queue though.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Chaika was boring I only made it through four or five episodes.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Sounds like it's worth a look at least.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 29, 2014

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
I heartily enjoyed Log Horizon. It's the most competently written MMO anime I've seen yet and follows the LN storyline very closely; unlike most of the LN-based anime, it has very good pacing. Criticisms are that the storyline is a lot more subtle but still wish-fulfillment oriented but with a main character that still has flaws and is not all powerful like SAO, for example; also, if you've played MMO's before, there are a couple of episodes in the middle where half of the viewing time is dedicated to "how to do babby's first dungeon exposition" which can get a little tedious. In the end, worth your time and there's a second season coming soon.

Coffin Princess Chaika started out pretty strongly for me but I felt like the storyline became confused halfway through and fell into the trap that most LN anime productions face with problems in pacing. The show floundered for a while so I eventually dropped it without finishing it.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Nate RFB posted:

So since Summer looks so awful... Log Horizon and/or Coffin Princess Chaika: Yay or nay?

I'd describe them both as "confident and purposeful, but mostly unremarkable." They're definitely on the respectable side of Light Novel adaptations, but that's mainly in terms of execution and presentation, not because they're doing anything new. Either one is totally worth the watch, though.

Log Horizon is a pretty nerdy power-fantasy, but it disguises itself incredibly well with an ensemble cast and an exceptionally firm grasp on gamer culture. The show focuses more on the sociopolitical logistics of being trapped in an MMO fantasyland, rather than blowin' up bosses and actually escaping.

Chaika is pretty bog-standard fantasy adventure story, but it is a well-crafted one. As the GIFs would suggest, the characters are very expressive and the fight choreography is fantastic. It's got a few solid thematic threads related to soldiers in peacetime and the importance of human experience, but it's mostly just an animated D&D campaign.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'd recommend Log Horizon if you've got a tolerance for the usual anime character clichés and stereotypes, like airhead women, stuttering bashful love interests and evil glasses-wearing characters. And an incredibly verbose main character that over-explains a lot.
If you get past that, it has a lot of refreshing and clever quirks. Like, as mentioned before, mostly concerning itself with the social and economical problems of the stuck-in-a-game premise on a macro scale, instead of "power-game to beat boss monster". It treats the whole sudden posse of immortal game avatars stuck in the land as an incredibly dangerous wildcard and possibly destabilizing force to the politics of the "mortal" NPCs and their kingdoms, as well as their neccessity in some ways. As soon as some "boss quests" are ignored and they have time to organize themselves, the exploding monster population starts raids on human settlements, and the like.
It's mostly well thought out, which i can appreciate.

As for a recommendation for myself: a good revenge story.
Can be manga or anime, doesn't actually have to result in revenge, or the main character could be the target of said revenge story, something like that. Please no stories about getting revenge on school bullies, that's dumb.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I assume you've read Berserk? Because that's basically the quintessential revenge story.

Shin Angyo Onshi is great, too.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

HenryEx posted:

This is kind of a super-obvious recommendation but... Gankutsuou: the Count of Monte Cristo. Gonzo's psychedelic sci-fi rendition of arguably the best revenge story ever written.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

HenryEx posted:

Can be manga or anime, doesn't actually have to result in revenge, or the main character could be the target of said revenge story, something like that. Please no stories about getting revenge on school bullies, that's dumb.

Blast of Tempest maybe? Revenge is a major motivation in that for some characters, though its not the center of the story.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I've read (parts of) Berserk and it's good, but i'm holding off on that until there's way more of it done. Shin Angyo Onshi is already standing on my bookshelf, and it's mroe or less what i thought of when i made the request. Great story.

I wanted to get around to Monte Cristo for a while now, seeing as it's lauded as the One Good Gonzo Thing. Time to do it.

Taking a look at Tempest, the description sounds interesting. Would you recommend the manga or the series? I'd tend towards the former, but sometimes a series can offer something over the original via presentation, music, pacing or the like.

Xeiros
Oct 4, 2013

by Smythe
I'll second Berserk. Just understand that the anime only shows us why the main character wants revenge, and that the source manga is not even remotely complete. If reading/watching the revenge itself actually take place is what you really want though stay away from Berserk. Its fantastic art style and dark depressing world are definite draws, but the author's cripplingly slow and infrequent updates are not. I won't tell you to avoid it entirely. Just be prepared for an incomplete story.

In fact, if you were to read up to the latest manga arc you'd find that the whole revenge focus has taken a break in order to "heal" one of the supporting characters. So currently it's no longer the focus of the story.

As for others, give Gankutsuou The count of Monte Christo, Gungrave, Afro Samurai and Now and Then Here and There a spin. All four feature revenge quite heavily in their central plot lines.

Oh and for Gungrave, be sure to avoid the first episode as it was designed to appeal to fans of the PS2 game, since that came out first. It is an awful introduction for the story that the anime tells, and the series just works better without it. It's almost exactly like episode 18. So don't feel like you're skipping it, since it appears later on in the series.

Xeiros fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 30, 2014

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

HenryEx posted:

Taking a look at Tempest, the description sounds interesting. Would you recommend the manga or the series? I'd tend towards the former, but sometimes a series can offer something over the original via presentation, music, pacing or the like.
I haven't read the manga, but the anime was very good. It sometimes gets intentionally overdramatic (in a stage-acting way), but it also constantly takes the piss out of itself once you get past the first few episodes.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
GunxSword has a protagonist whose sole motivation is revenge and, while there are various distractions and detours along the way, it's always his top priority. The resolution is a rather satisfying one too. You'll get more out of the series if you like giant robots and over-the-top humor, aren't allergic to fanservice and can deal with some episodic content as things gradually come together. It's a good show that more people should watch.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
What's better, History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi or Hitman Reborn, the one with that stupid little kid hitman guy?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Drifter posted:

What's better, History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi or Hitman Reborn, the one with that stupid little kid hitman guy?

That's a trick question, neither.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Drifter posted:

Well, Kenichi's anime ends at a decent enough point, you don't really need to continue onto the manga for that. I've never watched Reborn's anime, only read the manga, which basically becomes power-up escalation after a certain point. So I'd say watch Kenichi if you had to pick.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^^^If I HAVE to pick as though I couldn't just choose to not watch either. It doesn't sound like any of them is a winning choice.

I just watched a five minute clip on Youtube about GOku powering up into his Super Saiyan 3 mode and what a crock of gently caress how the hell could anybody watch a billion episodes of that poo poo?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Drifter posted:

I just watched a five minute clip on Youtube about GOku powering up into his Super Saiyan 3 mode and what a crock of gently caress how the hell could anybody watch a billion episodes of that poo poo?

Nobody in the Year of Our Gourd 2014, which is probably why they made a re-edited version (Kai) that cuts out a ton of the cruft.

Or at least that's what they tell me, I've only seen like 5-6 episodes of the original Dragonball. v:shobon:v

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Allarion posted:

I've never watched Reborn's anime, only read the manga, which basically becomes power-up escalation after a certain point. So I'd say watch Kenichi if you had to pick.

The anime ends with the future arc, which is both a good and bad thing. Good because holy poo poo that arc drags on for loving ever and I can't blame anyone for having stopped caring long before then, especially since it somehow got padded out even further with lots of very obvious and very crap filler for no reason whatsoever. The only bad thing about it is that it's, by far, the worst part and everything just gets better from there. Damning with faint praise I guess, but, eh.

If you were to watch Reborn's anime, just stop after the Ring battles with Varia. You don't really miss out on much at that point.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 30, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Drifter posted:

Being a kid/teen or nostalgia.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Genocyber posted:

Being a kid/teen or nostalgia.

The kai version is legitimately fun, and this coming from someone who absolutely despised DBZ as a young man

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Drifter posted:

^^^^^If I HAVE to pick as though I couldn't just choose to not watch either. It doesn't sound like any of them is a winning choice.

I'm inclined to say Kenichi had its merits at one time, and we're all just jaded by the manga. Then again, there's probably better shonen anime that have your weakling hero get stronger through training, developing in character and gaining friends storyline. In any case, it was something I liked 7 years ago, while Reborn is still this blurry mess in my mind of powering up and poo poo, even though it technically has the exact same theme. (Technically Kenichi is a blurry mess of tits and rear end nowadays, hence why I'm inclined to say the anime ends at a decent enough point before it decides to expand its scope to the level of fighting wars and poo poo).

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'll just watch Kiddy Grade again. :shrug:

:laugh::v:

Xeiros
Oct 4, 2013

by Smythe
I'll second the Kai version of Dragon Ball. For those unfamiliar, it is essentially Dragon Ball Z, but with the padding and filler removed in order to more closely follow the source manga. This results in a significantly faster pace. If you enjoyed DBZ, but hated its long dragged out nature, give Kai a try. It'll likely be just what the doctor ordered.

To give you an idea of how much faster, in the first Arc in Z Nappa and Vegeta arrive on Earth in episode 16; whereas in Kai they arrive in episode 8. Twice as fast. It makes for much more enjoyable experience.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Drifter posted:

Let me tell you about being eight and really into punching things and being super-powerful.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Drifter posted:

If you want to watch Dragon Ball I would recommend just reading the manga instead. Once you get rid of the crippling pacing issues it's actually pretty good/funny. I didn't watch it as a kid and just read it recently, and I liked the manga and was drastically underwhelmed by both Kai and the original anime.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 30, 2014

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I've read most of the manga and it's still not the best (Toriyama is blatantly making things up as he goes along at times, almost none of the villains have very compelling motivations, side characters tend to become useless around two arcs after their introduction), but the pacing is generally reasonable.

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today
I just finished the manga by Urasawa called Pluto. It was the first manga I've ever read and just loved it. Would an Astro Boy anime be worth tracking down? I don't want to watch anything *too* little kiddy, but I just love the characters from Pluto. I'm following up the manga with Black Jack and it's great for short sessions of reading, but I'm not sure what people think about Astro Boy.

crikster fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 30, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Have you read Monster or 20th Century Boys, also by Urasawa? If not, you should probably get on that. Monster's a masterpiece, and 20th Century Boys is great too.

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today

Captain Invictus posted:

Have you read Monster or 20th Century Boys, also by Urasawa? If not, you should probably get on that. Monster's a masterpiece, and 20th Century Boys is great too.

Yep! I've watched Monster the anime except for the last 15 episodes. I heard the ending stunk real bad so I might not finish it because I hate disappointments. Has anyone seen Black Jack? I love medical stuff (Redbeard was my favorite Kurosawa film)

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I really loved Another and I'm looking for something along those lines of suspenseful horror-mystery. So far I have Mirai Nikki and Shiki on my list, anything else I should check out? Doesn't have to necessarily be gory or anything like Another was, just something really suspenseful with dashes of horror.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

crikster posted:

Yep! I've watched Monster the anime except for the last 15 episodes. I heard the ending stunk real bad so I might not finish it because I hate disappointments. Has anyone seen Black Jack? I love medical stuff (Redbeard was my favorite Kurosawa film)

I have not watched the anime of Monster but if it's a shot-for-shot recreation of the manga, it can't be that bad. The manga's ending wasn't bad.

If I had to say two things negative about Urasawa's stuff based on reading 20thCB and Monster, it's that he A: loves his omniscient villains, and B: sucks at epilogues. If you're going to have a 150+ chapter epic, a 1-2 chapter epilogue probably is going to leave a lot to be desired or feel rushed.

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today
Pluto was beautiful through and through. I have nothing negative to say. It reminds me of the Watchmen, very bittersweet. I have the 21st Century Kids, or whatever, but don't necessarily want to devote so much of my life to an epic of that size. For that length, I'd probably be more culturally mobile having read a Dostoyevsky novel, or something.
Anyway, I might jump to Fist of the North Star since I'm nostalgic for 80s animation style. I was fascinated when the SciFi channel showed those early anime movies and would watch the same Saturday Anime repeats for years. Fist of the North Star seemed like it would be gold for a 10 year old me.

crikster fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 1, 2014

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I really loved Another and I'm looking for something along those lines of suspenseful horror-mystery. So far I have Mirai Nikki and Shiki on my list, anything else I should check out? Doesn't have to necessarily be gory or anything like Another was, just something really suspenseful with dashes of horror.

The obvious choice would be Higurashi, but I'm still playing the VN version and haven't seen the anime version, so I can't recommend it confidently.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

crikster posted:

Pluto was beautiful through and through. I have nothing negative to say. It reminds me of the Watchmen, very bittersweet. I have the 21st Century Kids, or whatever, but don't necessarily want to devote so much of my life to an epic of that size. For that length, I'd probably be more culturally mobile having read a Dostoyevsky novel, or something.
Anyway, I might jump to Fist of the North Star since I'm nostalgic for 80s animation style. I was fascinated when the SciFi channel showed those early anime movies and would watch the same Saturday Anime repeats for years. Fist of the North Star seemed like it would be gold for a 10 year old me.

You should definitely give 20th Century Boys a read. It's a fantastic series, not perfect, but just below top-tier. There's some problems with it but it absolutely hits that "just one more chapter!" itch for a majority of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Safari Disco Lion posted:

From the New World for sure, and probably Shiki

E: whooops missed that Shiki was already on your list

Bonus Shin Sekai Yori/From the New World gif from the ED:

• Locked thread