Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Rime posted:

See also: why X86 is still the dominant architecture after forty loving years.
Means nothing in practice, because x86 is just in the front-end these days. The instructions get decoded into some internal format and only then executed. The only annoying thing to some degree may be the register count.

Alereon posted:

The HIS iClear card. It actually did perform its advertised job of reducing EMI, that just wasn't beneficial for videocards at all. It could improve SnR for TV tuners or reduce interference to soundcards.
Interesting, that this supposedly works. These days, I think the huge heatsinks probably act as EMI shield just fine. At least I hope so, because while my soundcard has also an EMI shield, it's only on one side (towards the PSU), with a "bare back" towards the graphics card.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Don Lapre posted:

4 pin molex, wtf year is this evga?

2010 was when the video got uploaded.

PrettyhateM
Apr 17, 2002
crap, should have read more carefully. Sorry about that.

PrettyhateM fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 28, 2014

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

The first sentence in the OP:

"Mod Note: This thread is for general GPU and videocard discussion, head over to the parts picking megathread if you just need help picking a card to buy."

That being said, if you aren't getting good performance then you probably need to change something. Also don't run games at non-native resolution.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

Isn't that kinda like what Gigabyte does by having a sata power connector for the PCIe lanes? Pretty lovely if you ask me considering EVGA mobos are ludicrously overpriced and incredibly spartan in features compared to other top end boards from Asus/MSI/Asrock.

I had 2 p55 EVGA motherboards. They had a "feature" which, when you turned your computer on, it booted for like 3 seconds, shut off completely, then booted normally. The reason? To warm your components up so your overclocked components would be at their real-life temperatures. You couldn't turn it off. This caused your hard drives' SMART to go apeshit since it counted every single power-on.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I'm curious about something, it's probably a kinda dumb question, but is it possible to mix video card vendors for things like physx and shadowplay and whatnot? If I'm running an AMD R9 290 can I plug in my nvidia 560ti and set it to dedicated physx? I don't know if this causes conflicts or whatever.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

cat doter posted:

I'm curious about something, it's probably a kinda dumb question, but is it possible to mix video card vendors for things like physx and shadowplay and whatnot? If I'm running an AMD R9 290 can I plug in my nvidia 560ti and set it to dedicated physx? I don't know if this causes conflicts or whatever.

By all rights it shouldn't be a problem, but nvidia specifically locks people out from doing that because... uh... they're dicks, basically.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

PhysX has a check that disables itself if an AMD card is rendering. So no on that front. Used to be possible a couple years ago though.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

SwissCM posted:

By all rights it shouldn't be a problem, but nvidia specifically locks people out from doing that because... uh... they're dicks, basically.

loving seriously? God damnit nvidia.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Nostrum posted:

I had 2 p55 EVGA motherboards. They had a "feature" which, when you turned your computer on, it booted for like 3 seconds, shut off completely, then booted normally. The reason? To warm your components up so your overclocked components would be at their real-life temperatures. You couldn't turn it off. This caused your hard drives' SMART to go apeshit since it counted every single power-on.
Uh, so EVGA isn't a good brand after all? Because any engineers thinking up that stupid poo poo can't be worth anything.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Combat Pretzel posted:

Uh, so EVGA isn't a good brand after all? Because any engineers thinking up that stupid poo poo can't be worth anything.
I sure as hell wouldn't buy a motherboard from a gaming graphics card vendor. I don't think there's anything wrong with their videocards though.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Combat Pretzel posted:

I thought that was just a bug that was common in those days, especially after a hard power off. But having it as intentional feature? Uh...

If you wanted the system to warm up a bit first (although you wouldn't, nobody ever said "I wish my PC was hotter"), then surely it could just leave all the fan headers at 0% for the first 15 seconds of boot time or something.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

HalloKitty posted:

I thought that was just a bug that was common in those days, especially after a hard power off.

Me, too. Never used an EVGA motherboard, either :raise:

Dark Solux
Dec 8, 2004

Old School Saturn God

HalloKitty posted:

I thought that was just a bug that was common in those days, especially after a hard power off. But having it as intentional feature? Uh...

Both of my computers do this if I shut off the power supply/unplug it from the wall. Starts up, runs for a few seconds, shuts off, turns back on again. Very strange. One is using an ASUS z77-v lk mobo and the other is.. well, they aren't really around anymore (DFI Lanparty series).

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Alereon posted:

I sure as hell wouldn't buy a motherboard from a gaming graphics card vendor. I don't think there's anything wrong with their videocards though.

Yeah, they're not necessarily "bad", but Asus, MSI, and AsRock are companies that have a great track record and care a lot more about their motherboard businesses than EVGA does theirs. Also, the company that makes your motherboard matters more in the sense that motherboards have a lot more parts that the vendor can cheap out on, and they're much harder to replace if something goes wrong.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Dark Solux posted:

Both of my computers do this if I shut off the power supply/unplug it from the wall. Starts up, runs for a few seconds, shuts off, turns back on again. Very strange. One is using an ASUS z77-v lk mobo and the other is.. well, they aren't really around anymore (DFI Lanparty series).
Probably some backup BIOS verification bollocks. My P8P67 from Asus does that, too, as well when you change some BIOS settings.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Combat Pretzel posted:

To be fair I'd imagine the engineers working on their motherboard products are different from those working on the graphics card, so wouldn't let it cloud any opinions about EVGA's graphics card offerings.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

EVGA's YouTube channel is ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKoOh9zru4c

That fez is pretty rad though.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

td4guy posted:

:|

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

td4guy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-td41An3NZE

Dat zalman fan heatsink.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

I had that heatsink on my 1.4 Thunderbird. Nice to see they still make them, I guess :v:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Panty Saluter posted:

I had that heatsink on my 1.4 Thunderbird. Nice to see they still make them, I guess :v:

Naw, that video is 6 years old. Just hadn't seen one in a while.

Thats not the OG one though, the OG one had a pci bracket that elevated a fan over it.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Don Lapre posted:

Naw, that video is 6 years old. Just hadn't seen one in a while.

Thats not the OG one though, the OG one had a pci bracket that elevated a fan over it.

Yeah, that's the one I had. I think my bracket was designed to attach elsewhere inside the case but I really can't remember now.

It looked neat but I don't think was ever all that good at actually cooling.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
God drat Galaxy web store has been down for weeks. All I want is that 750 Ti 2GB low profile :(

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I just bought one of those for another user here in canada. Crazy that they won't even take phone orders.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
For those interested, there is a hands on article on Anandtech about AMD's Game DVR feature. Very interesting reading and corresponds with my 7870s results. Newer games work great w/ minimal loss. In my limited testing, it worked w/ Crysis 3, Metro LL and Marlow Briggs. Tried "Call of Cthulhu: DCOTE" and had constant crashing, "Banished" would start and then immediately start throwing errors with DVR on.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Totally can't wait for the people who thought shadowplay was dumb (because they had amd) to go nuts over game DVR

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
If it helps clarify things they are both dumb

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I thought it was dumb until I used it. Now I have half a hard drive full of game footage I'll literally never watch though.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
I never thought it was dumb, just not for my use case, I can't really stream video because my upload is lovely so I never gave it any thought. I honestly never thought about the DVR feature but it's probably like power locks on a car or a Vitamix blender, never thought you needed one but once you get it you can't go back, but you have to try it first to really understand it.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I've been out of the whole streaming loop, I don't see the appeal in it but I don't know the details and apparently its very popular. Is it just watching people play games though.. ?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

1gnoirents posted:

I've been out of the whole streaming loop, I don't see the appeal in it but I don't know the details and apparently its very popular. Is it just watching people play games though.. ?

Watching people troll.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Shaocaholica posted:

Watching people troll.

Heh maybe I should stream. I average 1 rage quit a game

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
AnandTech's June 2014 Video Card guide is out.

Since this isn't the parts picking thread, that wouldn't be fascinating, but I thought everyone would get a laugh from the NVIDIA 730/740 clusterfuck.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

1gnoirents posted:

Totally can't wait for the people who thought shadowplay was dumb (because they had amd) to go nuts over game DVR

Agreed. I don't understand brand-specific haterade. I was always REALLY jealous of Shadowplay but not jealous enough to upgrade. Now I dont have to :)

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Was the HD7570 an OEM only part? I can't seem to find any reviews of it to compare against a 7750.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Shaocaholica posted:

Was the HD7570 an OEM only part? I can't seem to find any reviews of it to compare against a 7750.

Per Techpowerup it is an OEM part only. AFAIK it is a rebadged 6570 if that helps you find some benchmarks. The 7750 should be quite a bit faster, but I can't find any benchmarks using my phone.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
What about the HD 8000 series? They seem to be very scarce and newegg doesn't even stock them despite stocking 7XXX parts.

edit: Oh its mostly OEM. Why does AMD do this? Have a main level number change be mostly OEM? Also their previous naming is loving dyslexic. I hope their distributers and shippers got a lot of orders wrong.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 30, 2014

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Captain Yossarian posted:

Per Techpowerup it is an OEM part only. AFAIK it is a rebadged 6570 if that helps you find some benchmarks. The 7750 should be quite a bit faster, but I can't find any benchmarks using my phone.

I'd love to get a 7750 but they are hard to find and pricey compared to 6570. I just picked up a 6570 for $30. I think most 7750s are $100 used. I need low profile so options are limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

deimos posted:

I never thought it was dumb, just not for my use case, I can't really stream video because my upload is lovely so I never gave it any thought. I honestly never thought about the DVR feature but it's probably like power locks on a car or a Vitamix blender, never thought you needed one but once you get it you can't go back, but you have to try it first to really understand it.

Heated car seats. Never gave a poo poo, but the new car has em and by god they get used on those cold rear end winter drives.