Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

GuestBob posted:

The E/E PSB in Pingdingshan actually made a specific request that we submit renewals 15 day in advance of their expiry rather than 30 days as we have done in the past.

It's their culture please respect it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

I respect their lunch hour.

stubinator
Sep 24, 2013
Gifts? Anything in particular that goes over well? I'm going to be there all of July for business. Mostly Guangdong cities, but will go up to Zhejiang to visit a few factories. I was thinking of bringing some hard to find items from the US. Not sure what items are hard to come by.

Besides American Booze or Cigs, is there something I can pack that would be a hit?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

FYI anyone in China buying crap in the steam sale.

As far as I can tell, UPlay straight up doesn't work without a VPN running. I let it run for like 1 hour without my VPN going and it couldn't update, the second I turned my VPN on it was p fast though.

I did have to download a few hundred megs to update it though. Just a warning if you don't have a decent VPN that ubisoft games are bad news.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

GuestBob posted:

I respect their lunch hour.

Lunch 2-and-then-slack-off-for-2-more-when-returning-to-work hours.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Magna Kaser posted:

FYI anyone in China buying crap in the steam sale.

As far as I can tell, UPlay straight up doesn't work without a VPN running. I let it run for like 1 hour without my VPN going and it couldn't update, the second I turned my VPN on it was p fast though.

I did have to download a few hundred megs to update it though. Just a warning if you don't have a decent VPN that ubisoft games are bad news.
Just wanna confirm this. Tried downloading the Rayman Legends demo, which requires UPlay for whatever reason, won't work without a VPN.

Which is balls, because these new Rayman games look so good...

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I wonder who's side it's on. Techincally EA and Valve don't sell anything in China but I get pretty decent download speeds off of Origin and Steam. GFWL also worked fine when I was playing Dark Souls and SF4.

FC3 is especially fun since it has to sync to the server every time you want to go to the pause menu in game. You can't play it non-VPN'd even in single player.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

dont buy ubisoft games

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

caberham posted:

Quick online search says that your wife can get a type A transit visa valid for 72 hours.

I say do a 2day layover in Japan if you have the extra time. Tokyo is fun

That's not a bad idea, even though I won't be traveling with her, her brother is living in Tokyo now.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
What are peoples' downstream bandwidth? I'm stuck at 4Mbit.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

and actually doing something

So I guess I'm doing okay.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Bloodnose posted:

and actually doing something

So I guess I'm doing okay.

Enjoy your 8 gigs of game and like 42 gigs of uncompressed ogg files or whatever haha

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

synertia posted:

Enjoy your 8 gigs of game and like 42 gigs of uncompressed ogg files or whatever haha

Yeah I played it for three hours then uninstalled it. It was a huge disappointment and I'm really glad EA let me try it for free to find out I would never want to buy it for any amount of money.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

goldboilermark posted:

You don't need to worry about sim cards, you can pick those up all over the place. They really aren't hard to get working at all. However, if you have like an iPhone or another type of phone, it may not work or may need to be unlocked. iPhone5 doesn't need to be unlocked.

Taking the train from Tianjin to Beijing is incredibly easy. There are train ticket sellers on a lot of different streets and it takes like one minute to get a ticket. You can also just go to the train station to get your ticket, but that's kinda madness and I wouldn't recommend it.

I've been in Tianjin since 2009 but will be back in the States for 7 weeks for work and my brother's wedding, missing pretty much all of July and August. If you like, you can PM me and I can at the very least try to put you in touch with someone who has been here a while or a Chinese friend who is fluent in English in case you guys have any problems. If you're staying at a hotel, especially one of the nicer ones (Westin, Renaissance, Tangla, Nikko, etc) people will most definitely speak English there as well.

Hey, forums were down so I couldn't respond, but thanks for the answers. She got in last night and is setting; I'll be going over myself in a few weeks. Excited, mostly to hang out in Beijing for a few days (I assume there's not much to do in Tianjin, but I'll be writing a bunch). Any thing you can recommend we do / eat at?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Welp, due to a fuckup at Fedex I am not going to China this summer. Maybe this winter.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Use DHL for international shipments

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Drunk Tomato posted:

Hey, forums were down so I couldn't respond, but thanks for the answers. She got in last night and is setting; I'll be going over myself in a few weeks. Excited, mostly to hang out in Beijing for a few days (I assume there's not much to do in Tianjin, but I'll be writing a bunch). Any thing you can recommend we do / eat at?

Do you have PMs? I wouldn't mind typing up a long list of stuff for y'all at the office today.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I hosed up bad. I went and bought a return ticket without looking at my visa first. I was thinking it ended on August 20th, bought a ticket for August 10th, but it turns out my visa is up on august 5th. (One of my old ones was on the 20th, and I don't think I've looked at this thing in almost a year.)

Is there any way to extend a Z visa for a week, or is this even going to matter at all?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

VideoTapir posted:

I hosed up bad. I went and bought a return ticket without looking at my visa first. I was thinking it ended on August 20th, bought a ticket for August 10th, but it turns out my visa is up on august 5th. (One of my old ones was on the 20th, and I don't think I've looked at this thing in almost a year.)

Is there any way to extend a Z visa for a week, or is this even going to matter at all?

You have a Z visa?? I'm guessing you mean a residency permit? I guess you could just overstay... and pay the fine.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Yeah, but I want to come back, that's not going to gently caress me over is it?

Christ, that's like 2500 kuai.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

VideoTapir posted:

Yeah, but I want to come back, that's not going to gently caress me over is it?

Christ, that's like 2500 kuai.

You can usually get a week extension. I did once, it cost like 400rmb or something.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
Put on your best smiling white face and just say sorry at the airport. It's only 5 days, you probably won't even have to pay.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Magna Kaser posted:

You can usually get a week extension. I did once, it cost like 400rmb or something.

I go to the PSB at Yonghegong for that?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

VideoTapir posted:

I go to the PSB at Yonghegong for that?

I don't know what yonghegong is. I was living in Hangzhou and just went to the psb, yes. This was like 2010, though.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Show them your ticket as intention to leave and I bet its no problem.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

That's pretty much what I did. I needed to fill out one form but didn't need to show any additional paperwork, it seemed pricy but wasn't a hassle.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Magna Kaser posted:

I don't know what yonghegong is. I was living in Hangzhou and just went to the psb, yes. This was like 2010, though.

This would be the central PSB office where one goes to drop off one's passport to get a residence permit, not just any local PSB office where one goes to register one's residence, right?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

VideoTapir posted:

This would be the central PSB office where one goes to drop off one's passport to get a residence permit, not just any local PSB office where one goes to register one's residence, right?

I am literally a baby who has only lived in smaller Chinese cities that only have 1 PSB full stop, so I cannot answer this question. I've always registered just at the local paichusuo which is often nothing more than a 10m booth.

But I went to the place I get the visas and junk.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jun 28, 2014

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

The PSB can extend your RP under exceptional circumstances or put you on a 0 entry L Visa dated from the expiry of the RP but I'm not sure that they will do this without the support of your employer. Worth a try though. And yes, it would be the E/E PSB branch, no other police branch is capable of issuing anything immigration related.

Why not go to HK for a bit at the start of August and then just fly back to whichever airport in Beijing you are going to be leaving from.

Also, you switching jobs?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

GuestBob posted:

The PSB can extend your RP under exceptional circumstances or put you on a 0 entry L Visa dated from the expiry of the RP but I'm not sure that they will do this without the support of your employer. Worth a try though. And yes, it would be the E/E PSB branch, no other police branch is capable of issuing anything immigration related.

Why not go to HK for a bit at the start of August and then just fly back to whichever airport in Beijing you are going to be leaving from.

Also, you switching jobs?

I'm going back to school for 2 years

I don't have any desire to go to Hong Kong, I'd rather just hang out in Beijing for a couple days with my wife.

And it turns out my last contracted day at my job is 1 day after my visa ends. hahahaha.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
My FAO managed to get my RP renewed in 9 business days, so apparently the 15 day rule is just as flexible as any other rule as long as your FAO/employer has the pull.

I've been breathing the sweet air of Rocky Mountain freedom for two days, feels good to be home. 20 Mbps down downstream bandwidth is dope-as too.

Korean Air economy in the A380-800 was awesome, even for my wide goon rear end.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

systran posted:

Use DHL for international shipments

No, they lost my passport.

e: FedEx lost my passport, and it wasn't going international it was going 90 miles south.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 28, 2014

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

VideoTapir posted:

fearcotton got an extension once in like 2011. As I recall, it really wasn't much of a headache at all.

computer parts posted:

Wow, DHL fail. That sucks.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

computer parts posted:

e: FedEx lost my passport, and it wasn't going international it was going 90 miles south.

Have you cancelled it?

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
So I was in Shanghai for 5 days for a conference and I am pretty disappointed that there were not any pimps or prostitutes calling on my room and at the general lack of vice compared to Singapore.

Was I just unlucky or is vice not a big thing in China despite what I heard and read.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
Did you use wechat or momo? Calling rooms is so 2010.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
I tried but I couldn't find any suitable candidates. They just looked like normal people.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Well uhh, if it's obvious from your profile picture that you are foreign you will usually just get a bunch of friend requests asking you if you need the 妹妹服务, which is what it's called when they send hookers to your hotel room. If you're looking on your own then profile names with 'mm' in them are usually a good place to start, others will be blatantly obvious with profile pictures of half naked girls with some Chinese text over them about the service and a phone number.

If you don't speak Chinese this is probably harder than I'm making it sound though, and you'll get overcharged.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
I am Chinese speaking Chinese do I don't look foreign in my profile. Maybe I should change my pic to a white dude?

I don't think I noticed any halfnaked profiles though or profiles with mm.

Does using the international wechat version make a difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Does everyone in China have an incest fetish sort of how they're linguistically incapable of distinguishing between foreign countries? Serious question.