Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Why are Republicans pushing the idea of going back into Iraq? Is there growing support among the American people to get back in there?

No, something like 82% of the country is glad we got the hell out of there. Republicans are pushing it because getting us out of Iraq makes Obama not look like the antichrist (ironically it was Bush, or more accurately Nuri al-Maliki) and literally anything Obama is for they are against. It's a wonder McCain hasn't suffocated himself over Obama's love of breathing air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Paper Kaiju posted:

Oh god, he's making his third run for the president in 2016 :stonklol:

Third plane's the charm.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Yeah, its pretty much a desire not to see all the 'progress' made in the Iraq War being undone, since it would be the death knell in any argument that the cost in both manpower and money would somehow work out as 'worth it', when an even worse version of the terrorists you were supposedly combating come out of the woodwork and steamroll through everything.

Mind you, it would be nice if the crazy terrorists weren't able to take over a country, but the rather simplistic response of Republicans ("Air strikes will fix it!") is not helping matters.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Astro Nut posted:

Yeah, its pretty much a desire not to see all the 'progress' made in the Iraq War being undone, since it would be the death knell in any argument that the cost in both manpower and money would somehow work out as 'worth it', when an even worse version of the terrorists you were supposedly combating come out of the woodwork and steamroll through everything.

That's a silly argument because they'll just blame it all on Obama anyway and 45-48% the country will automatically agree.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

comes along bort posted:

That's a silly argument because they'll just blame it all on Obama anyway and 45-48% the country will automatically agree.

Of course it is, but the Iraq War is the last remnant of what the GOP believes it did "right" in the 2000s in the midst of post 9/11 panic. You'd be surprised at the amount of people that justify it with "well somebody needed to take Saddam down anyway!"

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Of course it is, but the Iraq War is the last remnant of what the GOP believes it did "right" in the 2000s in the midst of post 9/11 panic. You'd be surprised at the amount of people that justify it with "well somebody needed to take Saddam down anyway!"

And now we're back to the obvious conclusion of "it's really 3 states" except it cost us a hojillion dollars and incalculable death and suffering. Thanks Bush, Cheney, McCain, etc OBAMA :argh:!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

And now we're back to the obvious conclusion of "it's really 3 states" except it cost us a hojillion dollars and incalculable death and suffering. Thanks Bush, Cheney, McCain, etc OBAMA :argh:!

The Bush Presidential Library has an exhibit where you can play The Decider and make your own circa-2001-2002 choices on what to do about Iraq based on all the evidence provided. If you choose anything that is not "invade Iraq" then you get a video of Bush explaining to you why your choice is wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4t2EQ3oo5U

Somehow I don't think they're going to change that in light of recent events, either.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Astro Nut posted:

Mind you, it would be nice if the crazy terrorists weren't able to take over a country, but the rather simplistic response of Republicans ("Air strikes will fix it!") is not helping matters.

It's surprising just how much that could have gone wrong did go wrong with Iraq, you don't really get something like this happening in such a poignantly clear fashion in its brutal reality shattering than what's happening; a trillion dollars and over a hundred thousand lives and a functional if oppressive country destroyed with as you say, terrorists worse than the ones the US originally planned to combat coming out for nothing. Spec Ops the Line: The Real Thing.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's surprising just how much that could have gone wrong did go wrong with Iraq, you don't really get something like this happening in such a poignantly clear fashion in its brutal reality shattering than what's happening; a trillion dollars and over a hundred thousand lives and a functional if oppressive country destroyed with as you say, terrorists worse than the ones the US originally planned to combat coming out for nothing. Spec Ops the Line: The Real Thing.

"The truth, Republicans, is that you're here because you wanted to feel like something you're not: A hero."

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I think Bill Maher is funny and makes a lot of good points despite disagreeing massively with him on a few issues...But I listen to Real Time in podcast format from HBO's site and I had genuinely forgotten how punchably smug his face was.

I'm not really liking either of the new guys on The Daily Show, but I totally agree that Jessica Jones has become the big new hit on the show. (And she started off a little rough too, as I recall.)

Colbert having a bit of a mancrush on Paul Rudd was quite funny. It's so weird to think back on how much I hated him as The Boring Guy In Friends.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

VagueRant posted:

I think Bill Maher is funny and makes a lot of good points despite disagreeing massively with him on a few issues...But I listen to Real Time in podcast format from HBO's site and I had genuinely forgotten how punchably smug his face was.

I'm not really liking either of the new guys on The Daily Show, but I totally agree that Jessica Jones has become the big new hit on the show. (And she started off a little rough too, as I recall.)

Colbert having a bit of a mancrush on Paul Rudd was quite funny. It's so weird to think back on how much I hated him as The Boring Guy In Friends.
Wait, did Jason Jones divorce Samantha Bee and marry Jessica Williams?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

CSM posted:

It's viral marketing for the upcoming Netflix show.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

VagueRant posted:

Yeah, and it's especially grating when he's just completely pulling things out of his rear end like that. I think it's ridiculous that atheists are such a maligned demographic in the US, but at the same time, shitheads like Maher really don't help.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
You seem a little defensive about this, Majorian.

CSM posted:

Whoops. Alliteration is a curse.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

VagueRant posted:

You seem a little defensive about this, Majorian.

Sorry, I'm just tired of US politics being so focused on "religious versus non-religious." It really gets under my skin when someone like me who believes in God gets lumped in with the Religious Right - or when people like Maher suggest that I'm not welcome among smart, educated people with progressive political leanings.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Maybe you should stop taking the opinion of idiots seriously.

If I was religious I'd be more upset with the endless stream of 4th rate hustlers who claim high hokum and Bircher conspiracies are what constitutes Christianity.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jun 30, 2014

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
I'm usually pretty good about that, but you know how it is. You hear it enough times, occasionally it gets to you. Anyway, sorry for the derail - enough histrionics from me.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Jon Stewart was at the WWE Money In The Bank event tonight with his son Nate. I wonder if the WWE gave him tickets as thanks for talking them up recently.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Of course, the Daily Show (and the Colbert Report) is off for two weeks when the SCOTUS decides on the Hobby Lobby case. Oh well, I guess it gives them plenty of time to shape their response into something funny and infuriating.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Jorghnassen posted:

Of course, the Daily Show (and the Colbert Report) is off for two weeks when the SCOTUS decides on the Hobby Lobby case. Oh well, I guess it gives them plenty of time to shape their response into something funny and infuriating.

Oh god, a 5-4 decision.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Oh god, a 5-4 decision.

Yaaaaaaay :smithicide:

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
Defeat the wheat, defeat the world!

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Oh god, a 5-4 decision.

And naturally, none of the ruling majority included the female justices. Wonder why.

This unfortunately could give particularly conservative groups an opening with regards to opposing the wider aspects of the Affordable Care Act, and arguably, whatever is required by them to do as part of the law. Fortunately, most cases are somewhat hard to argue as being religious in nature (ie, they couldn't outright argue that they shouldn't pay taxes due to their beliefs, especially considering one of the more famous quotes of the Bible is 'Give unto Caesar what is Caesar's'), but what of say, employing workers of a different faith? Or maternity leave for parents having children born outside of a marriage? Or serving customers from the LGBT community? Sure, that previous case was shot down, but now there's new precedent that could support it so long as people cited their religious beliefs.

If something is an actual religious matter, fine, a secular government should not impose, but this is the protection of corporate workers by a corporate entity. I just... gah.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
The ruling was actually kinda narrow, with Kennedy spelling out that it only applies to contraception. A company run by Christian Scientists can't refuse to buy insurance which covers an employee's blood transfusions.

Unsurprisingly the ruling majority are all Catholic in addition to being dudes.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

comes along bort posted:

The ruling was actually kinda narrow, with Kennedy spelling out that it only applies to contraception.

Female contraception. Vasectomies are a-ok by the Hobby Lobby.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

raditts posted:

Of loving Course...:bang:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

raditts posted:

And so is their 401k investing in drug companies that make contraceptives.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Corporations gotta look out for each other.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

raditts posted:

Whoops yeah forgot to mention that part.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

comes along bort posted:

Whoops yeah forgot to mention that part.

Well, the first thing you learn in business is to not sink any money into a hole; a vagina's one of the biggest moneypits there is.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 1, 2014

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If anyone cares, Jessica Williams is on the latest flop house podcast.

Which also told me about this http://dailyshowdogs.tumblr.com/

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Also boner pills.

But this has nothing to do with sexism, nope.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Well, you see men are just beasts and cannot control themselves. Its up to the women to not provoke men into giving into their base urges.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

raditts posted:

Also, birth control pills.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

twistedmentat posted:

If anyone cares, Jessica Williams is on the latest flop house podcast.

Which also told me about this http://dailyshowdogs.tumblr.com/
Rahm Emanuel's pizza is amazing

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

raditts posted:

The Hobby Lobby position is entirely logically consistent. Your strawman version of it isn't.

Periodiko posted:

Also, birth control pills.

Hobby Lobby doesn't have a problem with birth control pills.

Weird that you'd have that misconception despite clearly having internet access. I wonder if sources of information you normally trust were obfuscating the truth for political purposes.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Bashez posted:

The Hobby Lobby position is entirely logically consistent. Your strawman version of it isn't.

One of us doesn't know what strawmen or logical consistency is. I'm pretty sure it's you.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

raditts posted:

One of us doesn't know what strawmen or logical consistency is. I'm pretty sure it's you.

Hobby Lobby was opposed to providing forms of birth control that they claimed prevented a fertilized egg from coming to term. It's dumb as poo poo, but it is a consistent message.

The bigger issue is the the members of the Supreme Court made a ruling based on personal politics. Then, to avoid the massive loving can of worms they knew the decision would open, they proclaimed that abortion is special and limited the decision to this particular case. That's not how the Supreme Court should work.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

JohnSherman posted:

Hobby Lobby was opposed to providing forms of birth control that they claimed prevented a fertilized egg from coming to term. It's dumb as poo poo, but it is a consistent message.

Morally consistent, maybe (and I'm reluctant to give them even that much), but there's not a thing that's logical about it.

quote:

The bigger issue is the the members of the Supreme Court made a ruling based on personal politics. Then, to avoid the massive loving can of worms they knew the decision would open, they proclaimed that abortion is special and limited the decision to this particular case. That's not how the Supreme Court should work.

I agree, but I thought I read somewhere that they walked that back a day or two later. I think the real problem is that it sets precedent for for-profit companies to not only claim a religion but enforce their "beliefs" under said religion upon their employees, which is pretty hosed up. And if anyone is naive enough to think it would just stop there either way and that corporations ever actually give a gently caress about morals or acting in anyone's self-interest but its own profits, well.

raditts fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jul 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Woo! Were back!

• Locked thread