Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I'm pretty sure he didn't call the Feds, because didn't the CIA guy say "it wasn't him" when Cade looked in his direction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Blackchamber posted:

Saw it today and immediately I wondered about the LotR and the eagles and Mordor question... and I know the answer to that. But Optimus Prime had both the Samurai helicopter and a flying 2 headed pterodactyl under his command and yet they send the seed bomb away via car and there's the whole 'get the bomb across the bridge and out of the populated city' thing.

Loved the whole Optimus is too wrecked to go anywhere and his Autobots could fix him so he needs to get to them but then is able to fight his way out and after scanning a truck is totally fine. Cade was able to pull off quite a miracle in the time it took for the other guy to hit the store and make his phone call.

Well, from what we know of the Transformers, we know that they can regenerate their bodies and armor from one of the earlier films. The thing I got from it was that Optimus had some shrapnel or something that had nicked his spark or whatever, which was basically preventing him from doing anything - I imagine if you had shrapnel all up in your body when you transformed, things would get real ugly real fast. So, Cade pulled it out, Optimus could transform and function again.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

therealjon_ posted:

I'm pretty sure he didn't call the Feds, because didn't the CIA guy say "it wasn't him" when Cade looked in his direction?

He says that he called the Feds and talks about how they promised they were bringing a check.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cardboard Box A posted:

I want to know how only 1,300 people died during the events of the third film. That's an awfully low bodycount for giant alien robots murderizing an entire city.

Someone probably mistyped 130,000 for the dialogue read and no one bothered to correct it since they didn't really care about making anything plausible.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Awcko posted:

Also, did anybody else get taken aback a little when dumb comedy relief dude gets loving glassed and you see his still-burning horrific metallo-corpse?

I'm beat on this one, but the fucker got what was coming to him.

Speaking of fuckers getting what they deserve, my theater applauded hard when Grammer's character got shot by Optimus, as did I. It's rare for me to completely understand and sympathize with a character's mentality, but completely want them to die as soon as possible.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I just saw Trans4mers, pretty good flickershow. Other than the 3 hour length and the need to pander to China like all recent blockbusters. And the dinobots not showing up til the last 20 minutes. I never saw the first 3 either.

One question, since I had to pee in the middle: how did graviton get corrupted? I came back right after they said he was hacked or whatever

Who's megatron?
|
\/

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 29, 2014

Awcko
May 26, 2009

Mo' Pushin'

Mo' Problems

effectual posted:

One question, since I had to pee in the middle: how did graviton get corrupted? I came back right after they said he was hacked or whatever

Galvatron was built using specs taken from Megatron's brain, who tricked the humans into building him a new body, basically.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

MisterBibs posted:

I'm beat on this one, but the fucker got what was coming to him.

Speaking of fuckers getting what they deserve, my theater applauded hard when Grammer's character got shot by Optimus, as did I. It's rare for me to completely understand and sympathize with a character's mentality, but completely want them to die as soon as possible.

Great job! Now Dr. Fraiser Crane will never be able to testify or document the warcrimes he committed and the whole thing can be blamed on him.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Maarak posted:

Great job! Now Dr. Fraiser Crane will never be able to testify or document the warcrimes he committed and the whole thing can be blamed on him.

They set up that Bald Business Dude has a boatload of info on the details of what KG's been doing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The British Geologist lady was an odd character seeing as she really didn't do anything. They kept almost giving her plot points but then kind of dropped them. Like the stuff in the Arctic doesn't come into play and then she just kind of shows up and leaves a couple of times.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

The British Geologist lady was an odd character seeing as she really didn't do anything. They kept almost giving her plot points but then kind of dropped them. Like the stuff in the Arctic doesn't come into play and then she just kind of shows up and leaves a couple of times.

True that. I thought that the dig site would be the frozen Dinobots who would then be retrieved by the Autobots or brought in for study somehow.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

She also almost is a love interest for Stanley Tucci until deciding nope, need that sweet Chinese money and instead its Bingbing Li.

CJSwiss
Mar 16, 2008

effectual posted:

I just saw Trans4mers, pretty good flickershow. Other than the 3 hour length and the need to pander to China like all recent blockbusters. And the dinobots not showing up til the last 20 minutes. I never saw the first 3 either.

Who's megatron?
|
\/

Megatron is the original Decepticon leader from the first three movies. Optimus decapitated him in Dark of the Moon (TF3).

The humans then reclaimed his body and used it to reverse engineer Transformers, but when they were trying to build an Optimus clone, Megatron's dormant brain kept influencing the design process to make it look more like him. Galvatron is more or less Megatron in a new body, or he could be a "clone" of Megatron who continues to have Megatron's memories without necessarily being the same character since he doesn't have a spark (a Transformer's heart/soul).

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Galvatron is to Megatron what Darth Vader is to Anakin Skywalker.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

She and the chinese lady are both supposed to be the same character, I think, but she was split in two when they decided to add a lot of chinese setpeices. Like, she completely disappears after a certain point.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's a really weird scene with her when they're first starting the slum part where they split up and she says how she'll distract the CIA and then... nothing happens. They still just instantly find Tucci and Bingbing.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Did anyone else notice that pre-scan Optimus looks just like the truck from Duel?

I'm incredibly mixed on the film - I liked a lot of the performances (especially from Wahlberg, Tucci, Grammer and TJ Miller, and the spectacle was good, but for about the last hour or so I was just utterly fatigued. Even looking at the film through Terry's lens of the first three that Optimus is a hypocritical psychopath working for the military-industrial complex, the fact that Optimus himself is being hunted by the MIC, essentially taking Megatron's place in the first three, further complicates the messaging. Is it just a case of everyone in general being terrible now, including Cade the overbearing, midlife crisis father and Shane the statutory rapist?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I think you're over-thinking it. Optimus has taken Megatron's role of Hunted Transformer because the Hunters have altered their definitions of good and evil (recall KG's line "It's not about Good Aliens or Bad Aliens, it's just Us vs Them!") to treat Optimus as a target.

It's not about everyone being terrible, it's just that The System (CIA/etc) is now Terrible because it considers Optimus Prime a bad guy. We in the audience understand that Optimus Prime is undeniably a Good Guy (are there any other well known characters whose Goodness is so irrevocably tied into their character?), so anyone treating him otherwise is Wrongity Wrong Wrong.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

And even if the Autobots are relatively benign, the fact is that trouble comes looking for them. Lockdown is explicitly there to hunt down Optimus and doesn't care about anything else on the planet. Much like that government guy said in the second film, the problems on Earth are resulting because the Autobots are there. And, at the end of the film, am I the only one who thought that Optimus was taking the Seed to go get some new Autobots?

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

So, I put my edited pdf on my website just to easily share for my friends, and a few days ago it managed to be downloaded enough to cover 64gigs(2000+ downloads) within 24 hours. I looked into it and it got posted on reddit. On top of the downloads off of my site it then got downloaded 22,000 times of of scribd.com.

So...congrats on making a mark on the internet.

Fat Lou fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jun 29, 2014

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Some things that struck me:

1) The first words in the film are "Oh poo poo!" and Optimus's are "Kill you! I'll kill you! I'LL KILL YOU!" God drat is this franchise blatant.

2) So in Transformers 1, Megatron needs to get the All-Spark, an incredibly powerful artifact that represents limitless knowledge and power, so he can turn machines into new Transformers. By 4, humans just need some scrap metal and robot DNA and boom, 50 custom-built Transformers who are better than the old models. Humans rule at science.

3) Marky Mark is following perfectly in Sam's footsteps of clinging to childish things instead of growing up. At the start of the movie, his life is a mess because he's so attached to his inventions and to fixing up old junk that he can't make any money. Then of course he meets the big overgrown toys and things get even worse, up to and including threatening a random man with his "alien gun" toy, calling back to the pointless murder Sam commits in 3. Even his daughter is really just another toy that he doesn't want to let another boy play with; being willing to give her away--not even see her as a person, just give her to another boy--is his only real character growth.

4) There's a scene in the giant space jail where the fat Autobot encounters an alien in a cage. The alien is basically a toothed vagina with arms and legs, and all it does is spit harmless goo on his beard in response to him antagonizing it by putting his face near the bars. He then calls it "a bitch" and murders it.

5) The obvious Steve Jobs homage is presiding over the systematic torture and experimentation on prisoners, as well as cannibalizing corpses for raw materials. The movie essentially equates Steve Jobs to Josef Mengele and then rehabilitates him into a "good guy" just for siding with Optimus.

6) In 2 and 3, characters regularly talk about Optimus and his contemporaries (Sentinel, the Primes in general, the Fallen) in terms of Godhood. In 4, Optimus learns that he was created by a higher power rather than born. How does he react? Well, he flies off into space and says "I'm coming for you." The demiurge has learned about the existence of Sophia and decided to go kill her.

7) Immediately after, the movie fades to credits and the song "Battle Cry" by Imagine Dragons starts playing. Right at the line "Nobody can save you now." God drat is this franchise blatant.

e: Oh, also I think it's pretty funny that the Transformers movies have always been presented as overt propaganda for the Autobots/American neoliberal imperialism and now they actually include straight-up official propaganda for a real-world government.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jun 29, 2014

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Mornacale posted:

e: Oh, also I think it's pretty funny that the Transformers movies have always been presented as overt propaganda for the Autobots/American neoliberal imperialism and now they actually include straight-up official propaganda for a real-world government.

The fact that they have Hong Kongers saying "call the Central Government for help!" at a time when Hong Kongers are probably more pissed than they've ever been at the Central Government made it particularly hilarious when I saw that part in the theater.

Surprisingly, I haven't yet heard it talked about in the media here. But I also haven't been looking.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

She also almost is a love interest for Stanley Tucci until deciding nope, need that sweet Chinese money and instead its Bingbing Li.

You say this like it is a bad thing. I liked Bingbing Li.

EDIT: The next one has to be Unicron. And it has to be done by Bay. Dinobots gotta take center stage. Prime's in space and his "I'm coming for you!" is scary as gently caress.

Hell I thought there were elements of Unicron in this one. M

Gatts fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 29, 2014

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I have a feeling that Unicron will, in this continuity, relate to Lockdown's line that the Creators want to wipe their chessboard clean or whatever or all the alien races who have been mingling and ruining the balance.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Milky Moor posted:

I have a feeling that Unicron will, in this continuity, relate to Lockdown's line that the Creators want to wipe their chessboard clean or whatever or all the alien races who have been mingling and ruining the balance.

Unicorn being a planet-sized version of Lockdowns ship designed to consume and sterilize the galaxy so that an ancient race of bored God-like aliens can start their board game over again sounds loving amazing.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

Movies like the Transformers films are a great chance to remind movie reviewers, internet and otherwise, are immaterial. People dig Transformers. They'd fall asleep at Citizen Kane.

http://dailyreview.crikey.com.au/transformers-age-of-extinction-movie-review-sort-of/

A movie reviewer goes on about how he wrote his review before seeing the film and refers to the director as 'loving the frame', the teleprompter thing and mentions how he walked out at ninety minutes. You can't make this stuff up.

Exactly what I was talking about. It's a game to prove that you're the most intelligent and that you're the most disgusted by Michael Bay and everything he does.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Michael Bay is a treasure and should be knighted.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I think what I find most fascinating about the ending is how incredibly loving STUPID Optimus is. Let's do a quick rundown of Optimus ability to deal with threats:

1. Megatron - stalemate at best. Attempts suicide via cube but Sam uses it to kill Megatron.
2. Megatron - dies against it in the forest battle. Able to beat the Fallen only after being given Jetfire's power boost/wings.
3. Sentinel - Loses an arm and is about to die but Megatron saves his life. He repays Megatron with an axe to the face.
4. Lockdown - Sniped and taken prisoner with little to no effort. Gets impaled with own sword and almost dies until Bee and Marky Mark intervene.

So Optimus is great and cleaning trash mobs but loving sucks at dealing with the boss. So what does he do? He goes off ALONE to deal with the creators. I can see that lasting about as long as his other fights.

James Hardon
May 31, 2006

Mornacale posted:

Some things that struck me:

1) The first words in the film are "Oh poo poo!" and Optimus's are Kill you! I'll kill you! I'LL KILL YOU!" God drat is this franchise blatant.

2) So in Transformers 1, Megatron needs to get the All-Spark, an incredibly powerful artifact that represents limitless knowledge and power, so he can turn machines into new Transformers. By 4, humans just need some scrap metal and robot DNA and boom, 50 custom-built Transformers who are better than the old models. Humans rule at science.

3) Marky Mark is following perfectly in Sam's footsteps of clinging to childish things instead of growing up. At the start of the movie, his life is a mess because he's so attached to his inventions and to fixing up old junk that he can't make any money. Then of course he meets the big overgrown toys and things get even worse, up to and including threatening a random man with his "alien gun" toy, calling back to the pointless murder Sam commits in 3. Even his daughter is really just another toy that he doesn't want to let another boy play with; being willing to give her away--not even see her as a person, just give her to another boy--is his only real character growth.

4) There's a scene in the giant space jail where the fat Autobot encounters an alien in a cage. The alien is basically a toothed vagina with arms and legs, and all it does is spit harmless goo on his beard in response to him antagonizing it by putting his face near the bars. He then calls it "a bitch" and murders it.

5) The obvious Steve Jobs homage is presiding over the systematic torture and experimentation on prisoners, as well as cannibalizing corpses for raw materials. The movie essentially equates Steve Jobs to Josef Mengele and then rehabilitates him into a "good guy" just for siding with Optimus.

6) In 2 and 3, characters regularly talk about Optimus and his contemporaries (Sentinel, the Primes in general, the Fallen) in terms of Godhood. In 4, Optimus learns that he was created by a higher power rather than born. How does he react? Well, he flies off into space and says "I'm coming for you." The demiurge has learned about the existence of Sophia and decided to go kill her.

7) Immediately after, the movie fades to credits and the song "Battle Cry" by Imagine Dragons starts playing. Right at the line "Nobody can save you now." God drat is this franchise blatant.

Thanks OP.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Fat Lou posted:

So, I put my edited pdf on my website just to easily share for my friends, and a few days ago it managed to be downloaded enough to cover 64gigs(2000+ downloads) within 24 hours. I looked into it and it got posted on reddit. On top of the downloads off of my site it then got downloaded 22,000 times of of scribd.com.

So...congrats on making a mark on the internet.

In your Reddit post there you say the epub file has an extra post which your PDF does not have. I can't open epub, but what post is that?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
So long as we actually get to see Unicron and not just a lovely cloud shaped like his head, he'll at least be handled better than his fellow world-eater Galactus was.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Age of Extinction is like Prometheus, in that it begins with an act of destruction and creation in prehistory and ends with a character flying off into space to find his creators.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The Bee posted:

So long as we actually get to see Unicron and not just a lovely cloud shaped like his head, he'll at least be handled better than his fellow world-eater Galactus was.

Maybe he will be like the villain in Dark of the Moon who was half regular Transformer and half massive snake monster and he'll be able to split in two.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Gatts posted:

You say this like it is a bad thing. I liked Bingbing Li.

EDIT: The next one has to be Unicron. And it has to be done by Bay. Dinobots gotta take center stage. Prime's in space and his "I'm coming for you!" is scary as gently caress.

Hell I thought there were elements of Unicron in this one. M
You know what honestly made me jump the first time we see them? Those googly-eyed little robots on Lockdown's ship. The first time one of those things freaked out, I was seriously creeped out.

Kaytwo
Jun 2, 2014

by Ralp

Xenomrph posted:

You know what honestly made me jump the first time we see them? Those googly-eyed little robots on Lockdown's ship. The first time one of those things freaked out, I was seriously creeped out.

Lockdown and the whole sequence inside his ship was hands down the best part about this one.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

The MSJ posted:

Age of Extinction is like Prometheus, in that it begins with an act of destruction and creation in prehistory and ends with a character flying off into space to find his creators.

Please don't compare with prometheus kthx.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Lord Krangdar posted:

In your Reddit post there you say the epub file has an extra post which your PDF does not have. I can't open epub, but what post is that?

It's the one where Terry gives the 1986 animated movie the same treatment.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I have to say I really felt the length in this one more than any of the other films. Half way through the China battle I was checking my watch, and dismayed that two hours had gone by without any dinobots. These movies really do not need to be this long.

Anyways, I think this was the weakest installment of the series. The humor was just not as funny in this one and seemed incredibly forced. Marky Mark was seriously phoning things in, and the jokes with his daughter were so lame such as the statutory rape stuff . Shia at least brought a fun bumbling energy with his portrayal of Sam Witwicky.

The first film really captured the magic of what it would be like to be in high school and discover a transformer and get sucked into this epic galactic conflict. The third movie had amazing action with the Battle of Chicago being one of the best battles ever. This movie is more in line with the second movie except lacking Megan Fox.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Mornacale posted:

Oh, also I think it's pretty funny that the Transformers movies have always been presented as overt propaganda for the Autobots/American neoliberal imperialism and now they actually include straight-up official propaganda for a real-world government.

Could you elaborate a bit on this one? I'm not seeing how the films have been presented as 'propaganda' for the Autobots, since by definition the series is going to be about the Good Autobots And Their Allies beating the Bad Cybertronians And Their Allies.

I'm also not sold on the "official propaganda for a real-world government" part. Yes, there's a line about the Central Government or something, but other than that the Autobots handle the entirety of the conflict. Sure, if the human forces had come out of nowhere and destroyed half the bad guys, you'd have a point, but otherwise it's a Nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Anyways, I think this was the weakest installment of the series.

Its hard to wrap my head around the classification of best/worst/weak/strong relative to within the Bay TF series.