Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Nobody count's Wan's anything as part of Season 2, cause the rest of season 2 is kinda crap. Hell, the way they actually got to Wan's story was probably the lowest point in the series with amnesia out of nowhere.

Are you serious? "This doesn't count as part of Season 2 despite being part of Season 2 because I said so!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

Are you serious? "This doesn't count as part of Season 2 despite being part of Season 2 because I said so!"

It's just easier to say "Season 2 was crap" than "Season 2 was crap excluding Wan's story, which was awesome".

I'm really hoping Season 3's highpoints aren't exclusively contained in two episodes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

It's just easier to say "Season 2 was crap" than "Season 2 was crap excluding Wan's story, which was awesome".

I'm really hoping Season 3's highpoints aren't exclusively contained in two episodes.

Here is a quote from you from the start of last season

quote:

Just checked out the first two episodes. It's about on par with the first season, that is to say, a really strong start even if it is a bit rushed. So an excellent two episodes.

This is the kind of poo poo I mean when I say this stuff is getting tiring. The hatred for the show isn't just predicated on disliking it, it's on retroactive claiming that it is the Worst Thing Ever and that no part of it had any redeeming value even when you admitted to enjoying episodes. Instead of just being able to go "last season was disappointing" it is "last season had literally no good parts and the easiest argument to make for it having good parts must not count!"

The show unarguably has problems, and a lot of them, and there's nothing wrong with discussing those problems. What's god damned tedious is being hyperbolicly negative about everything in the show.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 29, 2014

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
After watching the episodes in English, I have to say that I prefer Zeeher Mexican voice. His English comes across a little to young for my taste. That goes for the Earthbender too, but I didn't hear him in Spanish.

That aside they are awesome. The concept is not that much different from Amon (turning the special applications of bending into a recurring element), but visually, they are much more interesting. All of the jailbreaks so far have been really awesome to watch.

I also have the feeling they wont be referencing the spirit thing all that much. With the merging of both world, you would think they would run into spirits more often, or that encountering them would be a regular thing, but so far, they didn't play a role outside some gags.

^^: Dude, if 10 out of 12 episodes are bad, with the sole exception of those that were not directly connected to the story of season 2 and animated by a different studio, it is perfectly valid to exclude them when talking about season 2 in general.

e X fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 29, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

e X posted:

^^: Dude, if 10 out of 12 episodes are bad, with the sole exception of those that were not directly connected to the story of season 2 and animated by a different studio, it is perfectly valid to exclude them when talking about season 2 in general.

The two episodes mentioned in that quote were the first two episodes of the season, not the Wan episodes.

And the Wan episodes are directly connected with the story. They literally set up the entire second half of the season and everything that goes with it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Lets compromise here. Both parties need to stop fabricating poo poo about the two shows because both are getting tiresome. I can complain about Korra's last two seasons without fabricating things to complain about or going into insane hyperbole (merely skirting it).

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

This is the kind of poo poo I mean when I say this stuff is getting tiring. The hatred for the show isn't just predicated on disliking it, it's on retroactive claiming that it is the Worst Thing Ever and that no part of it had any redeeming value even when you admitted to enjoying episodes. Instead of just being able to go "last season was disappointing" it is "last season had literally no good parts and the easiest argument to make for it having good parts must not count!"

The show unarguably has problems, and a lot of them, and there's nothing wrong with discussing those problems. What's god damned tedious is being hyperbolicly negative about everything in the show.

Okay, I'm calling it crap, not irremediable poo poo. It's called generalizing, as I haven't seen Season 2 in a year and change and don't feel like I need to rewatch it to re-evaluate my opinions on it cause I know that'll just make me mad.

Season 2 was better when watching start to finish, not knowing how thing would finish, but it's pretty bad looking at it in hindsight, seeing all the interesting looking plot threads they brought up that ultimately ended up not paying off.

Honestly I'm just trying to forget about it and look forward to what Season 3 will offer. I have a good feeling about this season, based on the first three episodes, and I wanna keep that opinion until the show does something to reverse it, which is what watching Season 2 would do without question.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Okay, I'm calling it crap, not irremediable poo poo. It's called generalizing, as I haven't seen Season 2 in a year and change and don't feel like I need to rewatch it to re-evaluate my opinions on it cause I know that'll just make me mad.

Season 2 was better when watching start to finish, not knowing how thing would finish, but it's pretty bad looking at it in hindsight, seeing all the interesting looking plot threads they brought up that ultimately ended up not paying off.

Honestly I'm just trying to forget about it and look forward to what Season 3 will offer. I have a good feeling about this season, based on the first three episodes, and I wanna keep that opinion until the show does something to reverse it, which is what watching Season 2 would do without question.

Just don't scream about how you hated every episode when The coming final arc is a let down.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's very important that we establish clearly whose opinions about cartoons are the most consistent, historically.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Bongo Bill posted:

It's very important that we establish clearly whose opinions about cartoons are the most consistent, historically.

Indeed it is. How else are we to mitigate the eldritch bitching that roams these foul halls? For fucks sake, reddit is a more productive platform than this thread. Either you guys are focusing on whining quality control or you're complaining about clearly demarcated spoilers. I miss the fan artists.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The fan artists have all left. Who the gently caress wants to stay here?

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

Are you not counting Wan's fight as book 2 for some reason? Because that was visually amazing. It didn't have the pace and energy of, say, the battle at the monastery, but it was gorgeous.
I don't count them, I think. I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with those episodes. On the one hand, the story's good if simple, Wan is a good character, the visuals are gorgeous. But on the other hand, they introduce Vaatu and since they're smack in the middle of the season, they feel like a half-assed transition between two completely different stories. One of which I cared about : a main conflict with the Water Tribes' Civil War, the antagonist of which seemed to be the only one who had knowledge of and cared about a greater, more random threat brewing in the background. The other I couldn't be less interested in : an ancient battle between Good and Evil brought upon by a cosmic event, with an incarnation of all evil who's a complete chump (Maleficent he isn't). Joy.

I think the worst offender for me is the threat of the Dark Spirits in the first part of the Book : not only does it "disappear" completely after Beginnings, but to add insult to injury, it's that very threat that launches the two-parter!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X_Toad posted:

I think the worst offender for me is the threat of the Dark Spirits in the first part of the Book : not only does it "disappear" completely after Beginnings, but to add insult to injury, it's that very threat that launches the two-parter!

Uh, the Dark Spirits remain around for the entire second half and a big part of the final climactic fight is against them.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

SatansBestBuddy posted:

The fan artists have all left. Who the gently caress wants to stay here?

Especially considering how the only thing people have really talked about is a map that is clearly wrong from the get go. Does anyone have a link to the first Korra thread? I want to take in the butthurt.

Ps. That came out wrong.

Pps. "Came out"

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Uh, the Dark Spirits remain around for the entire second half and a big part of the final climactic fight is against them.
No, they don't. They're reduced to Unalaq's foot soldiers and become an extension of his will. Before that, they were a completely different problem, and Unalaq's position as the only guy with the knowledge necessary to deal with them made the rest of the conflict kind of interesting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X_Toad posted:

No, they don't. They're reduced to Unalaq's foot soldiers. Before that, they were a completely different problem, and Unalaq's position as the only guy with the knowledge necessary to deal with them was interesting.

They are exactly the same problem they were before. Spirits are turning dark and need to be purified. The only thing that changed is we had a straight-up explanation for why. They did not suddenly vanish from the plot and the danger they represent is kept throughout the entire ending until it is bookended by Korra literally purifying the source. It is not a particularly well-executed plot but claiming it vanished is straight-up wrong.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Just out of curiosity, who wrote episodes 4-6? I'm hoping they stuck with getting Tim Hedrick and Joshua Hamilton to write more of this season!

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
It seems we'll be getting 2 episodes (4 and 5) on July 11th. It appears Nick really wants to catch up to the leaks.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Jorghnassen posted:

It seems we'll be getting 2 episodes (4 and 5) on July 11th. It appears Nick really wants to catch up to the leaks.
Discourage piracy by drastically altering your release plans in accordance to leaks! :downs:

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

They are exactly the same problem they were before. Spirits are turning dark and need to be purified. The only thing that changed is we had a straight-up explanation for why. They did not suddenly vanish from the plot and the danger they represent is kept throughout the entire ending until it is bookended by Korra literally purifying the source. It is not a particularly well-executed plot but claiming it vanished is straight-up wrong.
They're not "a threat" after Beginnings. When they were being created randomly by the actions of mankind and the general imbalance of the world, then they were a genuine, specific threat. That plotline just drops after Beginnings and they just become an extension of the threat posed by Unalaq.

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 29, 2014

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Jorghnassen posted:

I'm completely okay with this. I love LoK and more of it sooner is always good in my book, and Book 3 specifically is looking really just fantastic. I actually shelved Book 2 after the first couple of episodes and waited for the whole thing to come out before watching, but the start of Book 3 is strong enough that I intend to catch it live.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X_Toad posted:

Are you kidding? They're not "a threat" after Beginnings. When they were being created randomly by the actions of mankind and the general imbalance of the world, then they were a threat. That plotline just drops after Beginnings and they just become an extension of Unalaq's threat.

What are you even talking about? No, none of that drops. Literally all of it is traced back to the Vaatu thing and how Vaatu builds up the negative aspects of the world. It is straight-up embodied in Wan's story where Wan's friend-spirits get into a fight with humans that could have been resolved by the Avatar except Vaatu's influence corrupts it beyond saving. It is the exact same problem from start to finish.

I mean it sounds like you're angry the plot didn't go in a different direction but that isn't the same as the plot being dropped.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Jorghnassen posted:

Can we get a source on this, actually?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I think you should equate Season 1 and Season 2 to OG Avatar Season 1 because they're around 20 something episodes.

That being said I liked the premiere. I wonder if regaining the previous avatar spirit memory things will ever come into play since it was mentioned. Since they're rebuilding the Air nation they're probably bound to come across relics belonging to the few thousand avatars which were air benders.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

I think you should equate Season 1 and Season 2 to OG Avatar Season 1 because they're around 20 something episodes.

That being said I liked the premiere. I wonder if regaining the previous avatar spirit memory things will ever come into play since it was mentioned. Since they're rebuilding the Air nation they're probably bound to come across relics belonging to the few thousand avatars which were air benders.

I don't think it was that many. It was a 10,000 year cycle and most Avatars seemed to live a hell of a lot longer than Aang did. Kyoshi was something like 230 when she died. Even if we assume a few Avatars hit the ground early (like Roku and Aang), we're probably looking at ~100 tops for each culture, and with Air Benders in particular they probably lost most of it when the Fire Nation wrecked their poo poo

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Literally all of it is traced back to the Vaatu thing and how Vaatu builds up the negative aspects of the world.
If they were under Vaatu's control, explain to me why one tried to kill the Avatar, who was vital to Vaatu's and Unalaq's plans?

The Taint Reaper posted:

I wonder if regaining the previous avatar spirit memory things will ever come into play since it was mentioned.
Vaatu reintegrated Raava. Maybe Unalaq will be Korra's previous life.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Can we get a source on this, actually?

From Nickelodeon's twitter:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X_Toad posted:

If they were under Vaatu's control, explain to me why one tried to kill the Avatar, who was vital to Vaatu's and Unalaq's plans?

The Dark Spirits are not all under Vaatu's control at the start. Again, remember the Wan thing? What Vaatu does is amplify the negative emotions already present. The dark spirits we see show up are spirits who are incredibly pissed off. Remember the entire thing with child Korra in the spirit world? The dark spirits are spirits being heavily influenced by negative emotions.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 29, 2014

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

ImpAtom posted:

What are you even talking about? No, none of that drops. Literally all of it is traced back to the Vaatu thing and how Vaatu builds up the negative aspects of the world. It is straight-up embodied in Wan's story where Wan's friend-spirits get into a fight with humans that could have been resolved by the Avatar except Vaatu's influence corrupts it beyond saving. It is the exact same problem from start to finish.

I mean it sounds like you're angry the plot didn't go in a different direction but that isn't the same as the plot being dropped.

The tea party actually explained that issue. That being said Vaatu is an embodiment and conduit of disorder but not the only source of such conflict. We should have gotten more guys like Mr Porcupine by now unless the spirits all voluntarily withdrew to the vines and out of the way sacred groves for some reason.(presumably to avoid the humans) This plot thread has been seriously deemphasized so far.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
Honestly, the only parts of Book 2 that were poo poo was the Adventures of Mako/Bolin/Asami/Lin in Republic City. That was pretty drat bad. The main plot was a bit disappointing but was still decent, and it picked up quite a lot after the Wan episodes.

Book 3 is off to a solid start and if they can handle the back half off it it'll definitely be the best book of the series thus far. That doesn't mean the previous seasons were the worst thing ever, even if they didn't live up to expectations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Squall posted:

Honestly, the only parts of Book 2 that were poo poo was the Adventures of Mako/Bolin/Asami/Lin in Republic City. That was pretty drat bad. The main plot was a bit disappointing but was still decent, and it picked up quite a lot after the Wan episodes.

Book 3 is off to a solid start and if they can handle the back half off it it'll definitely be the best book of the series thus far. That doesn't mean the previous seasons were the worst thing ever, even if they didn't live up to expectations.

Yeah, I think Season 2 would be looked on less angrily if not for basically the entire Republic City arc which was just a real mess.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.

X_Toad posted:

P.S : I liked the first three episodes. Really, I did! It makes Apple's decision of taking Korra off their iTunes catalog all the more infuriating. What happened there, I wonder?

Korra Season 3 isn't on Nick.com, itunes, or Amazon Prime. So it is probably less to do with Apple and more to do with Nickelodeon

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

KellHound posted:

Korra Season 3 isn't on Nick.com, itunes, or Amazon Prime. So it is probably less to do with Apple and more to do with Nickelodeon

They surrendered to the STREAM.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Why do I have this terrible theory that Kai's big "change" he was talking about after gaining airbending has something to do with Aang's now disconnected/destroyed spirit?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TheKingofSprings posted:

Why do I have this terrible theory that Kai's big "change" he was talking about after gaining airbending has something to do with Aang's now disconnected/destroyed spirit?

I dunno, all the other airbenders were dicks and Bumi's the same doof he always was, I doubt they'll pull an Aang ex machina.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

TheKingofSprings posted:

The hell? They made a huge point of showing that Kai hasn't changed just because of airbending. He's still a terrible rear end in a top hat.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The hell? They made a huge point of showing that Kai hasn't changed just because of airbending. He's still a terrible rear end in a top hat.

We know nothing of the priorage of flameo; maybe Aang without the responsibility is a total diiiiiick.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sithsaber posted:

We know nothing of the priorage of flameo; maybe Aang without the responsibility is a total diiiiiick.

Yea scratch that I'd kinda love if he was 'possessed' by Aang but just the side of Aang that was a total shitbag.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea scratch that I'd kinda love if he was 'possessed' by Aang but just the side of Aang that was a total shitbag.
You mean like some kind of Dark Avatar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
The episodes were really fun and I hope the whole season stays that way! :)

• Locked thread