Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Charles Martel posted:

There were a whole bunch of great Mailbag moments, but that's still the topper. One of them was crazy enough, but my jaw hit the floor when they opened the second one. Like...holy poo poo.

Any hints on the July theme of videos, Matt?

I need to see this, link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

watho posted:

I need to see this, link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjOWt1rBw1E&t=3270s

From here till the end of the vid.

edit: Liam was so frightened of it being the same 700 dollar box set that he actually prayed for Fate/Stay Night instead. :haw:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 29, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

This is still the best mailbag moment for me though just because Woolie is so exasperated. What's so wrong about sending your favorite Youtube video team an elaborately framed photo of Steve Buscemi?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

That was probably the greatest thing ever. I really should watch more mailbag.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

CJacobs posted:

edit: Liam was so frightened of it being the same 700 dollar box set that he actually prayed for Fate/Stay Night instead. :haw:

God, I forgot exactly how nuts that was. Woolie genuinely getting upset when he sees the second box, god drat.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TheRealestMatt posted:

But I think we will sorta bring the mailbag back in a semi capacity, it's an idea I've been kicking around for the last few months, and once the theme month for July is over, we may try to start it up.
Yesssssssssss

Do you have any "friends of the site" who would consider assisting in the opening/management of mailbag stuff?

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.

Captain Invictus posted:

Yesssssssssss

Do you have any "friends of the site" who would consider assisting in the opening/management of mailbag stuff?

Not really. When you see this new idea, you'll understand what I mean. It'll be alot more manageable, fit in with what we do already, and be a way to sorta give back to people who donated something (other than with just our gratitude)

No real hints on what the July theme month will be, but I trust me when I say it's gonna be super fun!

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
(it's totally Marvel month tho)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
31 days of Shovel Knight

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
My guess is a full month of 'MURCA games, I mean, you've got the fourth of July and everything.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Angry Walrus posted:

My guess is a full month of 'MURCA games, I mean, you've got the fourth of July and everything.

Hey now, it could be Canada Day is July 1st. It could be Canadian games, like the Montreal level of Deus Ex, Scott Pilgrim and probably others

:quebec:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

TheRealestMatt posted:

There was so many problems with the mailbag behind the scenes, you guys don't even know. We were often there for 6-7 hours opening all the stuff, the amount of editing it took, just like...yeah.

Don't bring back mailbag. Do a behind the scenes documentary of its nightmarish demise

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

AXE COP posted:

(it's totally Marvel month tho)

Marvel or 'MURICA games seem to be the most probable answers. You would need a pretty broad series / genre to cover 31 days.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Come on man his clues so far have been "super" twice and "true believers", what the heck else would that mean

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

CJacobs posted:

so what exactly makes the box set of this japanese cartoon so expensive?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

Anime prices are already super inflated because the otaku market is hosed up and a big, "special edition" boxset is even more expensive.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
its really weird to me cuz the complete rome box set is like 72 bucks

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I'm watching Mailbag 13-B. What's the joke behind JonTron hating Woolie?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Anime prices are already super inflated because the otaku market is hosed up and a big, "special edition" boxset is even more expensive.

It's not an otaku thing, it's a japan thing. Every blu-ray/DVD is expensive as poo poo there.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Collusion in the industry in Japan to make all blu-rays ungodly expensive and with few episodes a piece.

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.
Matt play Metal Wolf Chaos full playthrough. Do it though.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

hoobajoo posted:

Collusion in the industry in Japan to make all blu-rays ungodly expensive and with few episodes a piece.

im real glad i dont like anime

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

It's not just the box set, it's a limited special edition box set. Look up what's actually IN the special edition box set and it'll probably make more sense.

edit: You're not going to do that and it still kinda doesn't so I'll just dump the features here:

+ The two feature length movies
+ The whole series on blu-ray (the blu-ray part makes it exorbitantly more expensive because people are still pushing blu-ray)
+ A bunch of extra behind the scenes making of videos
+ The Nascent Era book Woolie talked about that has a complete translation of the whole drat thing as well as a lot of developer interviews translated to English because most of the world that's not Japanese can not read their language
+ A whole bunch of early artwork and storyboards
+ All of the soundtracks over the series' lifespan

All of that equates to 500-600 dollars worth of limited edition. It's basically a collector's item and like all collector's items, its price is marked up because of text on the box that calls it that (and also what Tae and hoobajoo said). You buy it because you like Gurren Lagann a lot.

This is the anime version of that Pink Floyd 'Dark Side of the Moon' Box Set that contains all of this crazy poo poo:

(look at that loving scarf)

Just as that box set is for people who really loving love Pink Floyd, this is for people who really love TTGL.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 30, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If I had the cash, that ultimate Gurren Lagann box set would probably be the only ULTIMATE SUPER ULTRA COLLECTOR EDITION type thing I'd consider actually buying due to all of the exclusive stuff it has in it. The Nascent Era art and interview book especially is something I want so god drat badly. Gurren Lagann has easily some of the best/most outlandish mecha designs ever and I really want to see the evolution of them from concept to reality.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

CJacobs posted:

It's not just the box set, it's a limited special edition box set. Look up what's actually IN the special edition box set and it'll probably make more sense.

edit: You're not going to do that and it still kinda doesn't so I'll just dump the features here:

i actually did look it up before i asked why its so loving expensive

27 episodes, 2 movies, 5 soundtracks, a bunch of behind the scenes crap, an artbook and a little booklet with the whole series translated doesnt equal 500+ bucks to me. thats insane

the pink floyd thing you mentioned can be had for like 120 bucks new

maybe if they packed a shitload of cheesy plastic mech figures or whatever in there i could see some nerd paying that much

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Anime nerds will pay a lot for things they like. :shrug:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
anime is for jerks

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I mean, the anime industry is kind of focused on selling overpriced things to nerds big enough to pay for them. Way simplified of course.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Charles Martel posted:

There were a whole bunch of great Mailbag moments, but that's still the topper. One of them was crazy enough, but my jaw hit the floor when they opened the second one. Like...holy poo poo.
This applies to me & the Belladonna fists, btw.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.

Wow. You sound as bad as Pat. "Comics are for losers."

Comics, video games, anime, and movies are all the same thing. There's AMAZING ones, bad ones, and a whole lot of mediocre ones. Giving a blanket statement that ALL are bad or something like that comes off as incredibly ignorant.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

TheRealestMatt posted:

Comics, video games, anime, and movies are all the same thing. There's AMAZING ones, bad ones, and a whole lot of mediocre ones. Giving a blanket statement that ALL are bad or something like that comes off as incredibly ignorant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwfyzG59qsc

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

TheRealestMatt posted:

I don't know Matt, Gerstmann gives a fairly convincing argument there.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Your first lesson here is to learn the Ignore function, automatically put Kung Fu on that list.

JorahTheExplorer
Oct 23, 2013

You aren't my Alves, Afonso Alves,
you make me sa-aad when sky's are blue,
and Georgie Best, cost fucking less,
so please take my Alves away.
So whens persona 4?

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
I'd like to see them play re6, just for the awful cringy story and sweet combat.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

JorahTheExplorer posted:

So whens persona 4?

Can July be Persona 4 month please?

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

When are we getting that Marvel Land Let's Play that Woolie is so adamant about?

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Tae posted:

Your first lesson here is to learn the Ignore function, automatically put Kung Fu on that list.

sorry my jokes are too much for you to handle

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Hey bud just thought you'd like to know, really bad posts made without capitalization or punctuation does not turn said really bad posts into jokes- they still remain really bad posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I hope we hear this on Ubi Plz tomorrow.

http://www.redgamingtech.com/division-visual-downgrades-confirmed-developer/

Basically the developers for the Division outright stated that they can't have a huge gap between consoles and PC for marketing/publisher reasons and that there will be a downgrade.