Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
also if you pull more stuff out of the main app and write it in a language your coworkers don't know it drastically reduces the chances that they will start writing in line javascript in your controllers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

unless we are talking about backbone.js, then bro what is a controller??

but yeah i look at it as a gateway to other stuff. webdev beats the pants off of any other job type i have ever had

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Flaming June posted:

unless we are talking about backbone.js, then bro what is a controller??

but yeah i look at it as a gateway to other stuff. webdev beats the pants off of any other job type i have ever had

reminder that in the end we edit text files for ridiculous amounts of money and that sure as gently caress beats nailing physical things together

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

did the computar halp thread disappear?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Dessert Rose posted:

reminder that in the end we edit text files for ridiculous amounts of money and that sure as gently caress beats nailing physical things together

whenever my job seems lovely i remind myself of this

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Soricidus posted:

webdev update: loving hell I do not envy anyone who has to do this full time. how have you not killed yourselves yet. how in satans name did this clusterfuck of terrible languages and terrible libraries using unmaintainable hacks to reinvent the wheel on a worse foundation become accepted as the future of computing

"deploying software is hard"

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Dessert Rose posted:

it wouldnt if people who nailed poo poo together got paid what they deserve

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

i use postincrement always because imo it looks nicer and if you care about the ordering of side effects or the compiler can't optimize properly because of your side effects then gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU

this forever

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Soricidus posted:

webdev update: loving hell I do not envy anyone who has to do this full time. how have you not killed yourselves yet. how in satans name did this clusterfuck of terrible languages and terrible libraries using unmaintainable hacks to reinvent the wheel on a worse foundation become accepted as the future of computing

because by the time those libraries coalesce into something manageable and reasonable they will be the past of computing

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

webdev is fine if you ignore everything thats happened in the past 5 years

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
it kinda just sounds like you guys hate writing code

there's nothing inherently worse about webdev. all in all, the inanity of software development slowly kills us all

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

so i was looking at a scala library that someone tweeted needed help, popped open one of the test files and

code:
  trait M[T]

val mi: M[Int] = new M[Int] {}
  val ms: M[String] = new M[String] {}
  val md: M[Double] = new M[Double] {}

val mimsmimimd = mi :: ms :: mi :: mi :: md :: HNil
  val mimsmimimdList = mi :: ms :: mi :: mi :: md :: Nil
  val mimsmimimdSized = Sized[List](mi, ms, mi, mi, md)

import language.existentials
  val mExist: M[_] = new M[Double] {}
  val mimsmimemd = mi :: ms :: mi :: mExist :: md :: HNil
  val mimsmimemdList = mi :: ms :: mi :: mExist :: md :: Nil
  val mimsmimemdSized = Sized[List](mi, ms, mi, mExist, md)

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

the guy i work with has a habit of sending out manifestos to the company whenever he's mad, and one came out last night about how we're a small startup that can't afford big company development practices, and i think it's in direct response to me asking him in code review for a unit test

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i like doing this in perl

code:
next if $thing_i_dont_want
but you can't do it all in one nice line like that with python's continue :saddowns:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
ruby has a lot of cogent oneliners like that and i love them very much

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i really liked unless until i started working on a large and bad code base

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

i really liked thing until i started working

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
same except any art analysis course in college

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Mods?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
we have a lot of code like this at my job
code:
unless condition && condition && condition
 if condition && condition && condition  
     if condition && condition && condition
       unless condition && condition && condition
          return if condition 
          return unless condition
          return if condition 
          return unless condition 
       end 
     unless condition 
          return if condition 
          return unless condition
          return if condition 
          return unless condition 
     end 
    end 
  end 
  repeat in the same manner for 200 lines 
end 

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

Squinty Applebottom posted:

webdev is fine if you ignore everything thats happened in the past 5 years
i agree, use ajax forever

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MeruFM posted:

it kinda just sounds like you guys hate writing code

there's nothing inherently worse about webdev. all in all, the inanity of software development slowly kills us all

you could only think this if you've only ever done webdev or p-langs. webdev is poo poo. p-langs are poo poo.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
some languages are good. unfortunately they aren't the ones people are paying me money to write in. so it goes.

javascript is uniquely bad, though. it has the lack of safety and halfassed design of a typical plang, without the robust standard library that makes most plangs usable.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

a long time ago i remember downloading this program that was an x86 assembler (fasm i think) plus a built-in emulator that gave you PC hardware plus VGA output. so you'd write an asm program, press a button, and it would assemble it and load it into a PC emulator and debugger. you could write C modules that integrated with the program's parallel/serial outputs too. it was pretty neat to mess with. is there anything modern like that?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

a long time ago i remember downloading this program that was an x86 assembler (fasm i think) plus a built-in emulator that gave you PC hardware plus VGA output. so you'd write an asm program, press a button, and it would assemble it and load it into a PC emulator and debugger. you could write C modules that integrated with the program's parallel/serial outputs too. it was pretty neat to mess with. is there anything modern like that?
get an arduino, write asm code to drive a robot control your hvac blink an led?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Soricidus posted:

get an arduino, write asm code to drive a robot control your hvac blink an led?

i have one but i don't have video output and i want to write "boner" on a tv

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
you could get an lcd display for it and make it scroll "boner" instead maybe

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

get an fpga, shave the poo poo out of a yak, write you own vga|dvi|hdmi controller

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Soricidus posted:

you could get an lcd display for it and make it scroll "boner" instead maybe

already got one and done that. i can make my own poo poo to sell on kickstarter now

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
well gently caress im out of ideas then, sorry

bloodys idea sounds pretty cool but if you can do that then you're probably in the wrong thread

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

tbf its not difficult to find a vga or dvi core or w/e for an fpga (lol you cant link to subsections of opencores)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

here have a vga controller (b y o dac) http://ece.wpi.edu/~rjduck/vga_controller_640_60.vhd

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Shaggar posted:

you could only think this if you've only ever done webdev or p-langs. webdev is poo poo. p-langs are poo poo.

what do you mean by 'doing p-langs'?

what else is there?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Shaggar posted:

webdev is poo poo.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

syntaxrigger posted:

what do you mean by 'doing p-langs'?

what else is there?

your mom

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

clearly you have never met her

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

LARD LORD posted:

it wouldnt if people who nailed poo poo together got paid what they deserve

Yep. If I could make this money doing something other than IT i would leave IT immediately. I hate IT and it makes me unhappy.

but i like money

*fartz*

Apr 7, 2003

z0rlandi viSSer posted:

Yep. If I could make this money doing something other than IT i would leave IT immediately. I hate IT and it makes me unhappy.

but i like money

*fartz*

I like working in IT.

Apr 7, 2003

Then again I spend more time talking to the business people than to the IT people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

the worst part of programming is programmers.

• Locked thread