Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Think you have to be L10 and do enough of the story quest to unlock the ability to do other classes, including crafting and gathering. And then you have to hit L15 and do enough story quest to unlock travel to other cities and be able to access classes there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Skeezy posted:

So I can change my class on the fly whenever I want? Is that how this works? Is there a benefit to the class I pick during character creation or what.

Sorry for all the questions :unsmith:

Yeah, you switch classes by changing your equipped weapon, so pretty much the only restriction is that you have to have the class unlocked and not be in combat or an instance. Whatever class you start out as will be the class you have to play for at least 10 levels, as you can't start unlocking other classes until level 10 (and in some cases get to a new city, which will happen around level 15). Your starting city will be based on the class you choose at character creation as well, though the only difference that has is that the story will be slightly different for the first 15 levels or so.

Arcanist is one of the more complicated classes since you've got debuff timers and a pet to manage. But honestly they introduce new skills for all classes at a pretty reasonable pace and this game is very well balanced as to how classes perform, so basically just choose what you think you might like the best. Wanna blow stuff up? Thaumaturge. Wanna smash people in the face with an axe? Marauder. Punch things to death? Monk. I liked using this reference before I started to get a rough idea of what kinds of abilities each class had available. Just know that each class also has a "Job" that you can unlock at level 30, so Thaumaturge will turn into a Black Mage... there are also "cross-class abilities" in this game, so you can use certain abilities from one class while playing another. If you just take a quick look through that link at the main class abilities though, it should give you a pretty good idea of what each class does.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I really appreciate all the help with this stuff. Thanks so much.

Bulk Slabhead
Oct 18, 2013

bleuraindrops posted:

IMO THM/BLM are the squishiest class too and I found it hardest to solo (until you get AOE sleep/choco buddy). I main BRD. I love BRD, but it is easy.

I solo'd it (other than dungeons) to 50 and had no issues and never used my chocobro for anything. Hell, I never use the drat chocobo really, and I've been soloing WHM just fine too.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mega64 posted:

Think you have to be L10 and do enough of the story quest to unlock the ability to do other classes

It's unlocked from your level 10 class quest. Technically you could skip the story entirely! (don't do this)

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Seeing this in the Steam sale made me think of coming back because I've pretty much been searching constantly for a single player game that could replace this as far as pure engagement goes but I can't find one and I'm starting to think that maybe I should just loving play this one again.

I quit back when Soldiery Tomes were first starting to be a thing. If I wanted to completely level a new class (Warrior, BLM is loving boring and probably why I quit) and/or just start a new character (used my fantasia, really regretted my race choice), how much of a pain would it be to catch up to current content?

Edit: Oh yeah, have they started selling Fantasia yet? I last heard "we're definitely going to do it eventually"

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 29, 2014

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012

Daily Forecast posted:

Seeing this in the Steam sale made me think of coming back because I've pretty much been searching constantly for a single player game that could replace this as far as pure engagement goes but I can't find one and I'm starting to think that maybe I should just loving play this one again.

I quit back when Soldiery Tomes were first starting to be a thing. If I wanted to completely level a new class (Warrior, BLM is loving boring and probably why I quit) and/or just start a new character (used my fantasia, really regretted my race choice), how much of a pain would it be to catch up to current content?

Not too bad with roulettes it's pretty common to get from 1 to 50 in a couple weeks with just casual play.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Got some Turn 6 numbers? :smug:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Daily Forecast posted:

Edit: Oh yeah, have they started selling Fantasia yet? I last heard "we're definitely going to do it eventually"

Yes, on Mog Station.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Daily Forecast posted:

2.3 is due out in a little over a week, which will introduce Syrcus Tower (CT2) with ilvl 100 drops. That should be enough to get you full ilvl 100 on any class in 5-6 weeks (CT2 drops + sol spent on accessories).

If you want to actually get into endgame raiding, it might be an uphill battle. If you haven't already cleared t5, finding a competent group willing to take you will be an exercise in frustration. Once that's done, you'll mostly be stuck with party finder groups that can clear turn 6 and then wipe on turn 7 for hours on end, getting nowhere. You might luck out and get into a static that gets farther, but I wouldn't count on it.

Progression options outside of coil are next to nonexistent. There's everyone's favorite 5 page derail, and then there's farming leviathan ex - the latter will get easier in 2.3, but it's mostly just farming the same encounter over and over for a rare drop mirror, then praying you win the roll.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
^ Welp, pretty much killed my desire to play, so I suppose thanks on that. All of that bullshit is why I quit so glad to see nothing has changed!

Oh well, thanks for all the answers anyway.

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

Yes, on Mog Station.

Oh, fantastic, no need to start a new character then!

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
Quick question about loot: I just hit level 30 and my characters inventory is starting to get full. So far I've sold nothing as I'm a notorious hoarder. Is there anything I should avoid selling? I have so many different monster drops that I'm sure are used for crafting or something but I'm not sure where to begin.

edit: Is there a stash like spot in the game for item storage?

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

seannykun posted:

I solo'd it (other than dungeons) to 50 and had no issues and never used my chocobro for anything. Hell, I never use the drat chocobo really, and I've been soloing WHM just fine too.

Oh soloing is definitely doable, but Crooked was asking for an easy class and I thought THM's squishiness should be taken into account.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Apparition posted:

Quick question about loot: I just hit level 30 and my characters inventory is starting to get full. So far I've sold nothing as I'm a notorious hoarder. Is there anything I should avoid selling? I have so many different monster drops that I'm sure are used for crafting or something but I'm not sure where to begin.

edit: Is there a stash like spot in the game for item storage?

You get retainers at a point, but I can't recall what level.

Here's how you can tell if something is safe to sell. Go to the market board in any city. Look up the item. If it sells at or below it's selling price: sell that poo poo to a vendor or discard it. If it sells for a few hundred gil or more, hang on to it until you get a retainer to sell it.

Maus
Apr 15, 2010

VAC ban(s) on record.

seorin posted:

If you want to actually get into endgame raiding, it might be an uphill battle. If you haven't already cleared t5, finding a competent group willing to take you will be an exercise in frustration. Once that's done, you'll mostly be stuck with party finder groups that can clear turn 6 and then wipe on turn 7 for hours on end, getting nowhere. You might luck out and get into a static that gets farther, but I wouldn't count on it.

Progression options outside of coil are next to nonexistent. There's everyone's favorite 5 page derail, and then there's farming leviathan ex - the latter will get easier in 2.3, but it's mostly just farming the same encounter over and over for a rare drop mirror, then praying you win the roll.

:qq:

Daily Forecast, if you resub, message Al Jazeera ingame and I can get a t5 group together, or post in the Football School thread in the organization subforum on ffgoons. There are multiple goon statics in the same forum that are working on Second Coil and recruiting, though scheduling could be an issue for you, dunno. Even if you do end up doing Second Coil through party finder, I've cleared turns 6-8 with pubbie PF groups, and have cleared turn 9 multiple times with people we picked up via PF. If you're actually interested in raiding and are willing to put in some effort, it's still very possible to get into.

Maus fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 29, 2014

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Thanks for the offer, but the post you quoted killed my sudden desire to get back into the game. All of that stuff is pretty much exactly why I quit the first time so all that's gonna happen is that I might play for a couple of months and get super frustrated with everything and just quit again so I'm not sure what the point is.

A lot of people like that kind of thing I guess? But I dunno if MMOs are really for me anymore.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Daily Forecast posted:

Thanks for the offer, but the post you quoted killed my sudden desire to get back into the game. All of that stuff is pretty much exactly why I quit the first time so all that's gonna happen is that I might play for a couple of months and get super frustrated with everything and just quit again so I'm not sure what the point is.

A lot of people like that kind of thing I guess? But I dunno if MMOs are really for me anymore.

The post was from Seorin, if you read his previous history the last two pages of his post have been nothing but :qq:.

The game is about to enter a catch up phase, its nothing but downhill from now on till the next progression patch hits. Its the best time to re-up to the game.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Daily Forecast posted:

Yeah it's super easy to gear up classes right now for endgame stuff. You can reliably DF turns 1-4 of the original coil and I know there's almost always a group of people that can help with a T5 clear.

New coil still is best done with a static, but it'll get even easier once the next patch hits and the soldiery/CT drops raise everyone's ilevel up a bunch.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
Endgame options are a little sparse right now -- I'm currently in the Second Coil/Levi EX/Thornmarch EX doldrums myself -- but Syrcus will be fun, Frontlines might be fun, and Ramuh EX will at least be one more fight to do. Also, Expert roulette will be less bullshit with six dungeons in it instead of three.

I'll probably do Ramuh EX and a bunch of Syrcus, then maaaaaybe try and suck it up for a few weeks to clear Second Coil (playing 4+ nights a week for 3+ hours is no longer my cup of tea), but then I expect my sub to lapse between patches. 3.0 will probably be where all the good endgame poo poo happens.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
My retainer is a beast, they just brought back 1x Odin's Mantle :aaaaa:

I was clicking way too fast or I would have taken a screenshot

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

URL grey tea posted:

My retainer is a beast, they just brought back 1x Odin's Mantle :aaaaa:

I was clicking way too fast or I would have taken a screenshot

They only got silver? Slacker-rear end retainer.

Thern
Aug 12, 2006

Say Hello To My Little Friend

Mr. Nice! posted:

You get retainers at a point, but I can't recall what level.

Here's how you can tell if something is safe to sell. Go to the market board in any city. Look up the item. If it sells at or below it's selling price: sell that poo poo to a vendor or discard it. If it sells for a few hundred gil or more, hang on to it until you get a retainer to sell it.

When you attempt to sell something with your retainer, at the pricing screen there is a little button on the top right, hit that to get a sale history of the item you are selling. No need to go to the market board.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The post was from Seorin, if you read his previous history the last two pages of his post have been nothing but :qq:.

The game is about to enter a catch up phase, its nothing but downhill from now on till the next progression patch hits. Its the best time to re-up to the game.

Oh. Well then that gives me some more hope.

15 to resub, 10 for a fantasia, 18 for a server move... goddamn. It'll be a bit of a down payment on the whole experience if I go for it!

vv Yeah I didn't realize who the post was by, I haven't read this thread in a long time but I do seem to remember that guy being a bit of a whiney downer. If the game's about to get a rash of new content then I think that's enough to make me interested. Reinstalling now.

edit edit: and yeah, I kind of don't care that much about my dude, the coolest thing he had was that totally stupid looking ilvl 100 BLM coat. The clown suit. Think I'll just reroll a pretty pretty catboy.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 29, 2014

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Daily Forecast posted:

I have the feeling that you were just looking for a reason to not play again, honestly, and that's fine, but don't take seorin's description as gospel because every time he posts in this thread it's about how he hates the endgame in this game he's been playing continually for 10 months now over on Faerie for some stubborn reason

edit: if you're really not that tied to your original character like you said, don't bother with the transfer and the fantasia and just reroll on Excalibur

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

pksage posted:

I'll probably do Ramuh EX and a bunch of Syrcus, then maaaaaybe try and suck it up for a few weeks to clear Second Coil (playing 4+ nights a week for 3+ hours is no longer my cup of tea), but then I expect my sub to lapse between patches. 3.0 will probably be where all the good endgame poo poo happens.

I'm just hoping that Syrcus isn't as time consuming as CT is, because I fully expect to do quite a few runs before getting a couple cracks at a tomestone. Probably focusing on as many runs as possible at the start of the week when you're still sitting on the majority of players that are after armor over a tomestone.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

The general rundown of new stuff in 2.3 and what it means to the casual player:

• Continuation of the main story, part 3 of the Hildebrand story and a new story about the mail moogles, so a few hours worth of new story and cutscenes to check out
  • Crystal Tower: Syrcus Tower, the second phase of CT with ilvl 100 drops and a chance at getting the item to upgrade Soldiery gear
  • Three new dungeons in the Expert roulette
  • A new primal, Ramuh EX, and the easing on entry requirements for Moogle EX and Leviathan EX, so you're no longer stuck behind Titan EX
  • The Hunt, open-world solo and party content that'll earn you a new currency (Allied marks) for gear and cosmetics
  • Frontlines, a 24 v 24 v 24 PVP instance that auto-scales your gear and rewards various currencies
  • A means of turning old Hard primal weapons into newer, better ones
  • Personal rooms in the FC house, a cheaper alternative to the personal houses coming in 2.3x
  • Increased Mythology tome drops all around

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 29, 2014

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Varance posted:

No, because my last few T6 numbers utterly sucked since I don't particularly care about 6/7. I'll give you some on Tuesday.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Niton posted:

Man, I know it's just a throwaway joke, but that's basically spot-on with the Eorzean clock, where 3 seconds = 1 Eorzean Minute. This also has the side effect of making DoT effects extremely metal, since something like Miasma basically causes your target to start coughing its lungs out for 8 minutes.

Someone got my joke :>

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Daily Forecast posted:

vv Yeah I didn't realize who the post was by, I haven't read this thread in a long time but I do seem to remember that guy being a bit of a whiney downer. If the game's about to get a rash of new content then I think that's enough to make me interested. Reinstalling now.

I was just providing an alternate viewpoint to the several posts I knew would follow so you could make up your own mind on what to believe. If a bunch of blatant ad hominem attacks are enough to make you write it off, by all means, it's your money. In my opinion, simply the process of leveling 1-max in nearly any MMO is always worth the box price, so if you're interested in doing that part again, you'll get your money's worth.

I did forget about frontlines, which seem like they'll actually be fun if you can enjoy some light PvP. Finding endgame groups (supposedly) is easier on Excalibur, so if you're planning on rerolling there, that's another plus. However, if you look, you'll still find posts from Excalibur goons in this thread who are still having trouble finding endgame groups, so the potential for problems is still there.

The Chairman posted:

every time he posts in this thread it's about how he hates the endgame in this game he's been playing continually for 10 months now over on Faerie for some stubborn reason

I'm flattered you pay enough attention to me to follow literally every post I make in here.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

seorin posted:

However, if you look, you'll still find posts from Excalibur goons in this thread who are still having trouble finding endgame groups, so the potential for problems is still there.

Please link some. (Volt Catfish doesn't count)

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

seorin posted:

I'm flattered you pay enough attention to me to follow literally every post I make in here.

I serve the community

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

seorin posted:

However, if you look, you'll still find posts from Excalibur goons in this thread who are still having trouble finding endgame groups, so the potential for problems is still there.

Yes, and most of those are people whose schedules don't line up with the various statics running Second Coil. It's a thing. Hell, I'm in that position myself and I know it's no one's fault but my own.

I agree with you to an extent about some things but the post that people are deriding was a bunch of crap. I mean poo poo, my friend that I got into the game killed Twin with Football School a week or so ago and he just hit 50 like three weeks ago. Now yes, Twin's not "current content" but it's definitely one of the two fights that's usually despised as a "gatekeeper", so saying that opportunities aren't there is specious as all hell.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
Just wanna throw out that I'm on a server that's not excalibur, I play maybe 15-20 hours a week (I haven't capped soldiery in weeks) with an insane work schedule that has me either at work or sleeping when most people play the game, and I've still managed to clear t6 almost every week since release, t7 nearly as much, and a handful of t8 clears to boot (entirely in pugs since the third week after coil2 came out). None of the people I started playing this game with are around anymore (they've since moved on to other games that I don't really have the time or desire to start up) and my friend list is made up entirely of people I've met doing solo stuff in the last few months.

Last week I made 2million gil by joining up on t5/leviathan kill sale groups, because myself and a bunch of people I met in a random group once can carry someone through that poo poo with only 7 of us. poo poo, we did a sale a couple weeks ago where we took TWO people through TitanEX and IfritEX at the same time. No, my experience isn't the norm by any means, but for every few people whining about spending 20 hours a week on TitanEX without success, there's someone like me out there too. This game is loving easy.

Naelyan fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 29, 2014

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Naelyan posted:

Just wanna throw out that I'm on a server that's not excalibur, I play maybe 15-20 hours a week (I haven't capped soldiery in weeks) with an insane work schedule that has me either at work or sleeping when most people play the game, and I've still managed to clear t6 almost every week since release, t7 nearly as much, and a handful of t8 clears to boot (entirely in pugs since the third week after coil2 came out). None of the people I started playing this game with are around anymore (they've since moved on to other games that I don't really have the time or desire to start up) and my friend list is made up entirely of people I've met doing solo stuff in the last few months.

Last week I made 2million gil by joining up on t5/leviathan kill sale groups, because myself and a bunch of people I met in a random group once can carry someone through that poo poo with only 7 of us. poo poo, we did a sale a couple weeks ago where we took TWO people through TitanEX and IfritEX at the same time. No, my experience isn't the norm by any means, but for every few people whining about spending 20 hours a week on TitanEX without success, there's someone like me out there too. This game is loving easy.

How do you play 15-20 hours and not cap soldiery? It takes like one roulette a day, or like 4 dailies and a few expert speedruns.

I haven't capped it in weeks but that's because I only log in for my static, at least until some of the new content drops. I never had the net severance to grind through Atma or myth for my Relic upgrade. Maybe if they ever get rid of the random element and I can just pick away at it while I surf the net or something.

Moskau
Feb 17, 2011

HEY GUYS DON'T YOU LOVE ANIME?! I LOVE ANIME SO MUCH ESPECIALLY ALL THE PANTY SHOTS AND FAN SERVICE AND MOE MOE MOE! I JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH!

Nice, how much do you deal with mechanics, any towers to pop or mines to sweep?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Moskau posted:

Nice, how much do you deal with mechanics, any towers to pop or mines to sweep?

I take middle mines and dreadnought towers before allagan field and usually one or two towers after too.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Anyone make a character on Excalibur in the past week? Should I get up early-ish on Monday or will I be fine making a character during the day EST? I figure it'd be okay but school is out and it's near a holiday.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

Varance posted:

Turn 6 is actually a good fight for BLM if they're not dumb and you don't get totally dicked by RNG, more flare chances than any other turn. Sorta like Titan EM if you don't get gaoled. 376 was my last parse.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

The short version of this is that BLMs need some love if a tank can out-DPS them in end-game content :(. I haven't been following the thread for the last week or so, have details of the changes to BLM been released yet?

The short version was that when BLMs are bad they're really bad. They have one dot, don't auto-attack and aside from scathe their GCD attacks need to proc off casted attacks; they're doing next to no damage when they are running around in a panic. It's a job people think is easy because it's rotation is simple but they have probably never seen how much they actually parse.

The buffs they need are slight potency or speed speed buffs for an effective buff of their single target DPS, mobility doesn't need to be buffed or you kill the part of BLM that actually takes skill.

Fishious fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 30, 2014

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Kyrosiris posted:

Yes, and most of those are people whose schedules don't line up with the various statics running Second Coil. It's a thing. Hell, I'm in that position myself and I know it's no one's fault but my own.

True dat. I work until late at night, so that automatically disqualifies me from any statics that don't run on my days off. It's a pretty big contributor to me still only being on Turn 7. :smith:

Although I'm currently job hunting to make more money, so fingers crossed on a more game friendly schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Fishious posted:

Turn 6 is actually a good fight for BLM if they're not dumb and you don't get totally dicked by RNG, more flare chances than any other turn. Sorta like Titan EM if you don't get gaoled. 376 was my last parse.

The short version was that when BLMs are bad they're really bad. They have one dot, don't auto-attack and aside from scathe their GCD attacks need to proc off casted attacks; they're doing next to no damage when they are running around in a panic. It's a job people think is easy because it's rotation is simple but they have probably never seen how much they actually parse.

The only thing stopping you from autoattacking, actually, is your willingness to plant yourself next to the boss facing it.

It's not much, but it's there and adds to your DPS.

• Locked thread