Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Trying out 3-player games...because we often have 3 players available in our group and I get tired of 2-on-1 games. Today we tried a diagonal setup (2 corners on the same long edge, and a triangle section in the middle of the opposite long edge) that had just over 24" between each deployment area. Deployment roll-off decided who picked the first deployment area, and for this game we went with kill points only, with Slay the Warlord as the only bonus objective points. First Blood is unfair to the 3rd player to go, and Line Breaker is irrelevant with multiple deployment areas, I think.

We handled the psychic phase by having the active player roll the warp charge dice as normal, and the other 2 players added the bonus dice to their warp charge points, then divided by 2 (rounding up) and rolled to deny whatever power they wanted. This seemed to work out well, we didn't have many psykers on the board so a CSM/CD army would overpower it like it would a normal game, and dividing the psyker dice by 2 gave roughly the same amount of opposing psyker dice to the inactive players. I had 2 Tervigons on the table for most of the game, so usually I had 3 or 4 dice to oppose. No one denied anything and there were only a few powers that went off anyway.

I want to try using the tactical objective cards and 6 objectives, but make it a separate scenario to the ones in the book by making each player's tactical objectives visible to all players, and we'll have to figure out how to draw and discard cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Raphus C posted:

Too many toys. I would spent nothing on the trukks as they will always be coffins, embrace their purpose. Instead of Stormboyz I would take buggies with Rokkits. I like SBs with a tide but I don't think they compliment the rest of your stuff. I always found a ton of buggies works well with a Trukk army. You can have 15 t-l Rokkits for the price of those Stormboyz with change left over. They can crack open the vehicles for your Trukk-boyz to charge into. They can also give cover for your Trukks. 25point rokkit buggies is silly.

I would try and keep the Trukk boyz cheap and squeeze more in.

I was going to tell you about how I don't like buggies, but then I saw they have outflank too and holy poo poo that's crazy.

Definitely gonna get some buggies.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

CyberLord XP posted:

I was going to tell you about how I don't like buggies, but then I saw they have outflank too and holy poo poo that's crazy.

So what's people's thoughts with buggies vs koptas?

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
code:
Warboss	Heavy Armour	Big Choppa			69
Weirdboy	ML2				        70
10 boyz	        Nob	PK	Bosspole	Trukk	130
10 boyz 	Nob	PK	Bosspole	Trukk	130
11 boyz	        Nob	PK	Bosspole	Trukk	136
10 Tank bustas	Nob	PK	Bosspole	Trukk	205
8 Tank bustas	Nob	PK	Bosspole	Trukk	179

TOTAL	1849
I kinda want to run this. Stupid spammy but I bet it could be fun.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

CyberLord XP posted:

125pts for 5 TL rokkits on a fast vehicle chassis is stupidly good. Losing the KFF emanating from vehicles may look bad, but buggies have been better since 6th. A cover save that doesn't waste a HQ slot and can also shoot back. 90pts for 5 Kannon is silly. Orks can put a lot of S7 and S8 firepower out there.

10 Kannon with ammogrotz 210
15 buggies 375
15 lootas 210

800pts for the Dakka and then fill in with troops. You have 10 bs s8 shots with 10 re-rolls. 15 TL rokkits and 15-45 s7 shots. The Kannon can also fire small blast templates (unless that has changed).

Flood the table and make them choose between quick moving vehicles or tough artillery.

edit:

Cataphract posted:

Buggies are cheaper and won't take hits from moral failures. Buggies are harder to kill with anti-infantry fire.
You may want to use Koptas if you are running them as a screen for Battlewagons. They can probably grant a cover save and take one themselves from jink. They can also assault so may be useful in tying up a unit of backfield infantry.

Both are pretty flexible now that you can outflank with buggies. I am not sure the premium on koptas make them worth it. They will never be a good assault unit so those points are probably better spent elsewhere. Now that failing a moral test can cause even more casualties I think Koptas are less attractive given their premium.

Raphus C fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 29, 2014

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cataphract posted:

About the same, honestly.
The general best use is shooting, which they both are good at (or at least cheap enough for twin-linked rokkits). Both have the speed to hit what they want. Both are roughly the same on defense (koptas are slightly tougher in general, but have moral).

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
How's 9 Thallax and 20 Tech-thralls as a starting point for low-point AdMech? And a Prime.

Speaking of Thralls, las-locks or mitralocks?

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 29, 2014

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

LordAba posted:

About the same, honestly.
The general best use is shooting, which they both are good at (or at least cheap enough for twin-linked rokkits). Both have the speed to hit what they want. Both are roughly the same on defense (koptas are slightly tougher in general, but have moral).

Cheers. I own six koptas but could definitely canabalise my old gorkamorka kits to make buggies. I might see how the koptas fair for now

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Cataphract posted:

Cheers. I own six koptas but could definitely canabalise my old gorkamorka kits to make buggies. I might see how the koptas fair for now

It would be suitable to crudely glue lego wheels to koptas and make buggies.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Did I hear right that you can now have a SAG bike mek? And here I thought conversion beam bikers could be fun.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Playing against my mate whose a veteran Ork player in a bit - I'm running IG/SM bound list. Can't wait to see what horrors the new codex brings!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Did I hear right that you can now have a SAG bike mek? And here I thought conversion beam bikers could be fun.

Yup, you sure can!

I noticed something annoying. It looks like Tankbusta Nobz can't actually take Power Klaws any more.

The section for Melee weapons says that models can exchange a Melee weapon for a PK/Big Choppa, but a Tankbusta Nob doesn't have a melee weapon to exchange! (unless their Tankbusta Bombs count maybe?)

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

There's only two weapons in that section, and the tankbustas entry clearly states that he can take weapons from that section. They wouldn't even write that if he wasn't supposed to get them.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
How many more books are in Horus Heresy? From Forgeworld? I read that the next books are going to retread the older legions in order to not get ahead of themselves with not having made everything from the previous books, then they'd be doing a Ad Mech only book at some point.

krushgroove posted:

Trying out 3-player games...because we often have 3 players available in our group and I get tired of 2-on-1 games. Today we tried a diagonal setup (2 corners on the same long edge, and a triangle section in the middle of the opposite long edge) that had just over 24" between each deployment area. Deployment roll-off decided who picked the first deployment area, and for this game we went with kill points only, with Slay the Warlord as the only bonus objective points. First Blood is unfair to the 3rd player to go, and Line Breaker is irrelevant with multiple deployment areas, I think.

We handled the psychic phase by having the active player roll the warp charge dice as normal, and the other 2 players added the bonus dice to their warp charge points, then divided by 2 (rounding up) and rolled to deny whatever power they wanted. This seemed to work out well, we didn't have many psykers on the board so a CSM/CD army would overpower it like it would a normal game, and dividing the psyker dice by 2 gave roughly the same amount of opposing psyker dice to the inactive players. I had 2 Tervigons on the table for most of the game, so usually I had 3 or 4 dice to oppose. No one denied anything and there were only a few powers that went off anyway.

I want to try using the tactical objective cards and 6 objectives, but make it a separate scenario to the ones in the book by making each player's tactical objectives visible to all players, and we'll have to figure out how to draw and discard cards.

The best way I've seen to do this is with 3 people, always assault to the left or the right, meaning the Player that is to your left is who you are actually opposing and you assault.

It's a little weird, at first, but then becomes really interesting because your not reall playing against that person defensively but all offense and defending against the player to your right.

It makes it interesting.

I've played it a few times, it prevents the game from becoming " 2 Players tag team one player then kill each other".

I've played "Bubble" deployment, where everyone rolls off and then the player who wins picks a 12 to 24 inch bubble on the board to be his deployment zone and then you have to stay that many inches away from that.
Oh wait now I remember, you can't set up closer than 24 to the person who's your nominated "enemy".

It makes the game way more tactical. As with deployment if you go first you don't want to proper gently caress yourself by selecting the center of the board.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 29, 2014

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Question:

Can you take multiple force org charts in a single bound army now as long as you fulfil the min requirements?

And if so, could you split the Ork Warband (which gives you extra waaghs etc) between 2 force orgs?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
You can take as many detachments as you want. You can't split up the Ork Warband, however, as it is a detachment in of itself.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

So Kans now have their little morale rule, and Stompas give Fearless to all models within 6". If I have Kans near a Stompa do I not have to pay any attention to their new morale rule?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Hollismason posted:

How many more books are in Horus Heresy? From Forgeworld? I read that the next books are going to retread the older legions in order to not get ahead of themselves with not having made everything from the previous books, then they'd be doing a Ad Mech only book at some point.

It's supposed to be a set of 9 main books in the end, plus a bunch of the smaller condensed ones for people who just want the lists.

The next book is HH4: Conquest, featuring the Sons of Horus, Death Guard, Iron Hands, Salamanders, Imperial Fists, Mechanicum, Dark Mechanicum, Solar Auxilia, Knights, and unspecified Titan Legions.

I'd expect a Mechanicum heavy book to be in the last trio, focusing on the war on Mars

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 29, 2014

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

DO IT TO IT posted:

So Kans now have their little morale rule, and Stompas give Fearless to all models within 6". If I have Kans near a Stompa do I not have to pay any attention to their new morale rule?

Nope, the only way to mitigate it is to have a Deff Dread nearby. Stompas and Naughts don't help. They killed Kans this edition; their Klaws are only S7.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Nope, the only way to mitigate it is to have a Deff Dread nearby. Stompas and Naughts don't help.

Well that's silly. My Dreads are (hopefully) up in CC, not hanging around the Kans. I guess at least they pass it on a 3+ by default or whatever.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Ignite Memories posted:

There's only two weapons in that section, and the tankbustas entry clearly states that he can take weapons from that section. They wouldn't even write that if he wasn't supposed to get them.

This is GW we are talking about, but technically as it stands this needs an FAQ. RAI he can take one, RAW he can't.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Nope, the only way to mitigate it is to have a Deff Dread nearby. Stompas and Naughts don't help. They killed Kans this edition; their Klaws are only S7.

I hadn't even considered that; time to break out the Grot Tanks.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Have some Morkanaut progress:

Removing the skull from the doors is fairly tedious. Anyone thinking of doing something similar, note that around the bottom part of the skull the surface of the door is bowed in a little bit. After you've sanded the last of the teeth away you've actually got a little dent to fill if you want it flat.

Didn't have to sacrifice a whole other kit for the base by the way - you get left with spare outer hull parts if you build a Deimos pattern Rhino.

As well as the obvious missing bits, I need to restore the rivets lost when sanding away the door skull, and build up grit around the scrap on the base.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That is awesome work. I love Ork conversions and you goons who play and convert Orks are like a whole other breed of Warhams (the good kind). Looking forward to seeing your Morkanaut when it's complete and painted.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Crosspost from the oath thread, I converted Reaper Bones Wyrmgear into a Black Legion Maulerfiend:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Job's a good-un.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

AndyElusive posted:

That is awesome work. I love Ork conversions and you goons who play and convert Orks are like a whole other breed of Warhams (the good kind). Looking forward to seeing your Morkanaut when it's complete and painted.

I've found generally that Ork players are generally the better players. There needs to be a certain attitude of "I'm going to have fun no matter what" because they tend to be more unpredictable than other armies. They can be dominating one turn, and completely useless in the next. Plus they tend to make the most demented looking models.

Did the Mek's CFF get removed? I remember that being the main source of invulns in the ork army.

I was trying to do the helmets on my sternguard, and found mixing asurman blue with lahmian medium worked perfectly to thin it down the best. This stuff is great.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 29, 2014

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Did the Mek's CFF get removed? I remember that being the main source of invulns in the ork army.

They get the save per-model now, not per unit, and if its in a vehicle it is the vehicle only, not everything 6" from the hull or whatever. So, still there, just nerfed.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
That Maulerfiend is really awesome, grats on thinking outside of the box when probably everyone else (like me) was trying to figure out how it could make a Heldrake, and being foiled by the pose.

Now I want to do it myself but HS is probably the worst spot for that sort of thing to be in, in terms of fitting it into an army alongside everything else you're incentivized to take. :shepicide:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Hollismason posted:

The best way I've seen to do this is with 3 people, always assault to the left or the right, meaning the Player that is to your left is who you are actually opposing and you assault.

It's a little weird, at first, but then becomes really interesting because your not reall playing against that person defensively but all offense and defending against the player to your right.

It makes it interesting.

I've played it a few times, it prevents the game from becoming " 2 Players tag team one player then kill each other".

I was going to do the split deployment that someone posted a while back the last time I brought this up, but the other players didn't want to do that, mainly because it would have put the half-size deployment areas only 8" or 12" from each other, depending on the size we'd used.

I honestly don't think we'll ever try the split assault/shoot rule you mention, though - it sounds pretty strange to me and if I can't sell it I don't think it'll happen.

quote:

I've played "Bubble" deployment, where everyone rolls off and then the player who wins picks a 12 to 24 inch bubble on the board to be his deployment zone and then you have to stay that many inches away from that.
Oh wait now I remember, you can't set up closer than 24 to the person who's your nominated "enemy".

It makes the game way more tactical. As with deployment if you go first you don't want to proper gently caress yourself by selecting the center of the board.

I...might see this working, but if it's a FFA game everyone is your enemy. I think having the 7E tactical objectives would make it more even because you and the guy next to you might want to go for an objective. Spacing the deployment areas seems to be a critical thing. Obviously a hex-shaped table would be the best thing!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dagon posted:

They get the save per-model now, not per unit, and if its in a vehicle it is the vehicle only, not everything 6" from the hull or whatever. So, still there, just nerfed.

That's less nerfed than not OP'd. I fought some mek armies with them with 3+ invuln on everyone.

I never liked team games, because someone always takes over on one side and you end up being micromanaged to hell. I remember playing one where that guy got upset I wasn't spaceing every single one of my guys by 2" and shoved me out of the way and started moving them for me. I took my ball and went home at that point, because gently caress you.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Dagon posted:

Pretty sure it didn't use to be an invulnerable save though, so it sticks a finger up to my command squad orders

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Lord Twisted posted:

Pretty sure it didn't use to be an invulnerable save though, so it sticks a finger up to my command squad orders

It was an invul against shooting only IIRC

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

KFF used to be a cover save. In the new book it's an invuln save.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

S.J. posted:

It was an invul against shooting only IIRC

I could have sworn it was a 5+ cover save.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Crosspost from the oath thread, I converted Reaper Bones Wyrmgear into a Black Legion Maulerfiend:

This looks great. I like how sinewy it is. It fits with the maulerfiend's speed.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

PeterWeller posted:

I could have sworn it was a 5+ cover save.

Right my bad, the old book was a cover save against stuff originating from >6" away or w/e

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Is it possible to magnetize the deathstrike missile launcher so you can also build it as a manticore?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zark the Damned posted:

This is GW we are talking about, but technically as it stands this needs an FAQ. RAI he can take one, RAW he can't.

Buy a boy a tankhammer, upgrade him to a nob, trade it in for a klaw?

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Hello friends,

I played a couple of 1k games against ShadowDaishi last weekend, and I took some pictures. Mostly I wanted to try out a more mobile Ravenwing list, instead of my usual footsloggers. The game was noteworthy for being the first and to date only time I have played Warhammer 40,000 and not ended up smashed on beers halfway through. Ha ha. In many ways, it was like playing for the first time, since I wasn't just rolling dice and waiting for TheChirurgeon to tell me if the roll passed or not.

I uploaded some pictures but they came out really small for some reason. Deal with it.

Jets trying to rack what's left of a tactical squad before they get bolter-glanced to death:

Foreground: bikes getting stuck in with bloodclaws because I forgot they had Hit and Run until like turn 4.
Background: bikes getting merced by his Thunderwolf Lord (who has like 6 S7/AP2 attacks on the charge) (i killed him with assault cannons later).

Here's his dudes about to charge the poo poo out of my bikes while the dudes in the back get him linebreaker.

End of the game, I had a single jet bike left alive.

The scenario was Purge the Alien, with linebreaker, first blood, and slay the warlord. Despite getting my poo poo purged pretty bad, I managed to eke out 5-5 tie because I got first blood and killed his warlord - if Sammeal hadn't rolled stupid good and managed to survive to peace out at the end there, I'd have lost 7-4, so really despite not being drunk I'm still bad at 40k and only managed a tie against a guy who never played before because I got lucky.

We played a second game where we basically just added a shitload of tanks to the existing lists. This was the set up:

I didn't take any more pictures because I didn't care. The high point of that game was on the very first shot, I fired the lascannon off a razorback and blew up his land raider. I felt really bad and let him bring it back in from reserves, after that.

ANAmal.net fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Whoa, I love the overlay you have on the table. Is it something you got online or had custom made?

• Locked thread