Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLQDNwejRcM

I found this to be pretty funny. Guy stacks crazy resistances to become effectively immune to magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Would Moonlight at +3 (for now, don't have the bones for 5) outdamage the claymore at +10 on my mage character? I can't infuse it with dark weapon right? I'm deciding if I want to put the extra five points in DEX for it or not this time around or just keep pushing it into int/fth for soul spear/GLS sooner rather than later.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Would Moonlight at +3 (for now, don't have the bones for 5) outdamage the claymore at +10 on my mage character? I can't infuse it with dark weapon right? I'm deciding if I want to put the extra five points in DEX for it or not this time around or just keep pushing it into int/fth for soul spear/GLS sooner rather than later.

You can infuse the MLGS. You can't buff it.

MLGS is an extremely good weapon. At +3 Raw (Raw is best unless you have ~50 Int, then Magic is better) its raw AR should be a bit more. Provided what you're fighting isn't especially magic resistant, it will do more damage, although it is also the slowest greatsword.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Finally hit Rank 3 with Blue Sentinels, what a beautiful aura.

Now Targay must die for not giving me his Halberd.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dirty Job posted:

I found this to be pretty funny. Guy stacks crazy resistances to become effectively immune to magic.

This is hilarious, and because of videos like this I'm much less bothered about being invaded because I imagine their end to be like this (dubstep and all). :allears:

Also, between this, lag and havel it's no wonder people think everyone else are cheating.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

By the way...

If any of you get an item that seems too good to be true, be wary of equipping it. I got informed of some dude who equipped an invader's dropped +14 sword and now can't load his save for more than a couple seconds.

Though if you do wind up doing this, talk to me and I will give you something to (hopefully) fix it.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
The whole Way of the Blue/Blue Sentinels thing is so poorly done. It's astoundingly bad.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Bob NewSCART posted:

I really can't understand the philosophy that goes into people smashing their faces into brick walls in this game, except they'll still stand by the "I don't want to run to the wiki", like you'd rather have a miserable time actually playing the game because you feel your being responsible by not spoiling that there's a 20x wooden arrows on a ledge around the corner where you keep getting your skull crushed. Doesn't make any sense to me but whatever. There's enough in these games that you're not gonna really do yourself a disservice by finding out how to not have an absolute poo poo time while playing
Yeah, I'm meant more where I hate running off to the wiki to explain core game mechanics, because it makes me feel like the game is needlessly obtuse more than wondering why I "don't get it".

Working out how to beat the first pursuer was right there in front of your face in in the form of giant crossbows. Of course that fire sword I found will probably work better on the guy made out of a tree, etc. No need to hunt for spoilers or run to a wiki because I'm "smashing my face into a brick wall".

Working out "If I dump six more levels into my Warrior's base adaptability, that brings my Agility stat up a good chunk!... That still won't get me any more I Frames.". Or that Power Stance needs 1.5 the requirments to use, or what weapons are even compatible with eachother for power stance (Oh hello, Red Rust SWORD being an Axe power stance category, boy would I have been called felt stupid for expecting a sword to be sword category.), without a wiki, not so much. And it just really adds up over time. I never really had to look up anything involving the core mechanics work for DS1, or to feel like I had a reasonable handle on the controls.

3D GAY WORLD posted:

You can definitely find a lot more than just one short-sword per play-through. Also, try to find the Heide Knight Sword, it's a straight-sword with a thrusting attack and generally has a great moveset plus inherent lightning damage. The Sunlight Sword is actually not that great.
Really? Cool, Where are the other shortswords? Wiki only stated the existence of that first one I picked up, and the one you start with as a Swordsman (I went Warrior). General internet browsing turned up the Sunlight Sword as the (only?) other Straight Sword with a one handed thrust so far. My interest was in it's moveset more than it's statistics. On a similar note, anywhere you know of to get a second plain ol Dagger? That's another thing that has been turning up as "Only one, unless you are a class start with it".

Looking forward to murdering some heide knights, wherever those guys are. EDIT: Even if it's still lacking an R1 poke, apparently. Free lightning sword!

Genocyber posted:

Not the kind of thrusting attack he's looking for, since the 1handed r2 is slash->poke.

Don't see why you can't just 2hand the longsword if you want pokes.

Because then it is not a safe, readily accessible thrust on an otherwise fast slashing sword, it's a "Drop shield so I can thrust".

EDIT: vvv

Your Computer posted:

I agree with most of this, but the part in bold is pure :psyduck:. DS1 with its horrible menus is goddamn arcane and I definitely had no idea what I was doing without looking things up. Just basic things like equip load, item requirements, what the stats do, defences, poise, stability. DS2 is lightyears ahead in that regard.

On that note regarding menus, how do I look at the equip requirements and other statistics for gear inside my storage chest, or even my Inventory tab in DS2? I have to be missing something right, it's not that you CAN'T look at equip requirements or "This Shield Blocks X percentage of Y" outside of the equip screen... Right? I could browse item requirements and statistics just fine in the DS1 item chest and Inventory screen, so I've been desperately trying to work out how to do this in DS2 but nobody seems to comment on the subject that I can find.

Literally all those stats you say you had trouble finding (unless you mean weapon poise) were easily accessible in DS1. Except for having to personally math out what your current percentage of weight load was. But as a guy who usually mid rolled, "Half of max means I don't flop" wasn't too hard to work out with experimenting.

Nahxela posted:

Tapping triangle, thrusting, and tapping triangle again isn't really that unsafe? If you're thrusting with an R1, you have to drop your shield anyways. Two handing just takes two more button presses, oh no.

Okay, would you settle for a simple "Because I prefer it that way and just really like it"? Busting out a 1 handed stab is still faster than swapping, then stabbing anyways, regardless of how small that difference is.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 29, 2014

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Section Z posted:

Working out "If I dump six more levels into my Warrior's base adaptability, that brings my Agility stat up a good chunk!... That still won't get me any more I Frames.". Or that Power Stance needs 1.5 the requirments to use, or what weapons are even compatible with eachother for power stance (Oh hello, Red Rust SWORD being an Axe power stance category, boy would I have been called felt stupid for expecting a sword to be sword category.), without a wiki, not so much. And it just really adds up over time. I never really had to look up anything involving the core mechanics work for DS1, or to feel like I had a reasonable handle on the controls.

I agree with most of this, but the part in bold is pure :psyduck:. DS1 with its horrible menus is goddamn arcane and I definitely had no idea what I was doing without looking things up. Just basic things like equip load, item requirements, what the stats do, defences, poise, stability. DS2 is lightyears ahead in that regard.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Section Z posted:

Because then it is not a safe, readily accessible thrust on an otherwise fast slashing sword, it's a "Drop shield so I can thrust".
Tapping triangle, thrusting, and tapping triangle again isn't really that unsafe? If you're thrusting with an R1, you have to drop your shield anyways. Two handing just takes two more button presses, oh no.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

You can infuse the MLGS. You can't buff it.

MLGS is an extremely good weapon. At +3 Raw (Raw is best unless you have ~50 Int, then Magic is better) its raw AR should be a bit more. Provided what you're fighting isn't especially magic resistant, it will do more damage, although it is also the slowest greatsword.

Oh right, got the terms backwards. I'm currently using a dark claymore + Dark Weapon, and was weighing it against a potential Magic Moonlight. Maybe I'll just hold off until I hit 40 int then put more into dex. I like its laser blasts, but it is real slow, like you said. I guess I'll just mess around with it and see. I have plenty of soul vessels anyway.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Um, what? Dark Souls had a good menu system, and one that is way better than Dks2. And all those things are explained equally as much in both games.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

By the way...
If any of you get an item that seems too good to be true, be wary of equipping it. I got informed of some dude who equipped an invader's dropped +14 sword and now can't load his save for more than a couple seconds.
Though if you do wind up doing this, talk to me and I will give you something to (hopefully) fix it.

What sort of effect did they put on the item that can wreck a save?

Xavieri
Dec 26, 2008

Raygereio posted:

It's +14, normally weapons can only be upgraded to +10.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Raygereio posted:

Similarly to Dark Souls 1, when you upgrade an item past the max reinforcement level, the game has no idea what to do and it wigs the gently caress out. Apparently in this game it decides that instead of giving you an infinite damage weapon it'll just crash on you instead.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Dirty Job posted:

Just fought one of these guys. I knocked him off a ledge with my sword but I think next time I'll go for force spam.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If you summon a dragon covenant member to fight, is it possible for red or blue invaders to show up and interrupt it, or does it disable all other multiplayer until one of you dies?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

If you summon a dragon covenant member to fight, is it possible for red or blue invaders to show up and interrupt it, or does it disable all other multiplayer until one of you dies?

I'v2 been invaded while fighting a dragon. Killed 'em both.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Thanks for the earlier suggestions. Magic Weapon with a Mace gets some pretty good results, really makes a mess of Old Knights. It also stunlocks those spear assholes in the Lost Bastille. Now if I could just find a reliable way to deal with the zerg rush of armored assholes. Half the time when I summon help they charge right into the middle of ten of those guys and get themselves killed. Or punchh the black powder barrels and get themselves killed.

And I still get my poo poo utterly ruined by the Ruin Sentinels even when I summon two helpers :negative: If you try to drink Estus then you may as well just lay down and die and those guys beat ten shades of crap out of you if you let your guard down for even a moment. I can sort of reliably kill the first one in that knife fight on the platform where you're fighting the camera as much as the actual boss, but when I have to deal with the other two.. yeah they're like "oh hey look at you being cute trying to dodge, don't care, die now, go renew your insurance :byewhore:". I'm not fatrolling they just have lightning fast attacks. Like they bait and telegraph for ages and then their actual attack flashes at you in like four frames.

Getting better though, little by little. Does everyone else refer to mobs as assholes in this game or is it just me?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The NPC summon, Pilgrim Bellclaire, is pretty good. Holy Water Urns, sold by the covenant leader beyond the Old Dragonslayer in the Tower of Heide, really wreck a Ruin Sentinel. And pretty much everything in the game, honestly. :v:

Firebombs, Witching Urns, and other AOE weapons are good against the Royal Soldier mob. Or just try slowly running away and making potshots while they poorly try to run around one another.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mr Dog posted:

Thanks for the earlier suggestions. Magic Weapon with a Mace gets some pretty good results, really makes a mess of Old Knights. It also stunlocks those spear assholes in the Lost Bastille. Now if I could just find a reliable way to deal with the zerg rush of armored assholes. Half the time when I summon help they charge right into the middle of ten of those guys and get themselves killed. Or punchh the black powder barrels and get themselves killed.

It's not much, but there's one soldier you can see through a window from a nook where a dog hides. You can shoot him to make him and 1 other dude run at the door, so you won't have to deal with them at the same time as the others. Then when the 3 in the small room run at you, you can probably kill one with ranged attacks before they get to you so you only have to fight two at once. Then if you take the ladder up the side instead of going straight through, the last soldiers will all be facing the other way so you can ignore them.

The Ruin Sentinels were the second biggest wall in the game for me (pursuer being the first) so it gets better if you can manage to get past the Bastille and the next area. When just fighting one at a time, you actually want to stay right next to them and circle around them with your shield up while they attack. You should be able to get 2 mace hits in after every attack if you can stay close. And definitely run down to the large arena once you kill the first one, you do not want to have to fight 2 at once on the tiny platform. You'll take falling damage but there's time to heal before they come down after you.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

And I still get my poo poo utterly ruined by the Ruin Sentinels even when I summon two helpers :negative: If you try to drink Estus then you may as well just lay down and die and those guys beat ten shades of crap out of you if you let your guard down for even a moment. I can sort of reliably kill the first one in that knife fight on the platform where you're fighting the camera as much as the actual boss, but when I have to deal with the other two.. yeah they're like "oh hey look at you being cute trying to dodge, don't care, die now, go renew your insurance :byewhore:". I'm not fatrolling they just have lightning fast attacks. Like they bait and telegraph for ages and then their actual attack flashes at you in like four frames.

Getting better though, little by little. Does everyone else refer to mobs as assholes in this game or is it just me?

How much agility do you have? Your dodge might just suck. Make sure you don't stay on the platform after killing the first one for too long as well, the other two will both jump up after a bit.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Mr Dog posted:

Now if I could just find a reliable way to deal with the zerg rush of armored assholes.
It helps to stick your head into where they are to aggro them, then immediately back out so they'll follow you through a narrow passageway where you can hit the front one, roll away while the one behind them swings through them, then go forward and hit them again. If your weapon is long enough you can regularly hit multiple enemies while they're stuck in a straight line.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Mr Dog posted:

Now if I could just find a reliable way to deal with the zerg rush of armored assholes.

There is a sneaky way to skip having to fight those guys, though you have to get past them once for this to work, to open the door.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej_LqccsuZY

Don't try to jump or roll, just walking seems to be the best way. You'll take a little falling damage, but still less then fighting all those guys would do.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Huzzah! posted:

Don't try to jump or roll, just walking seems to be the best way. You'll take a little falling damage, but still less then fighting all those guys would do.

Or you can just start from the far tower bonfire and run past them all, down the stairs then up the ladder. They're slow enough that it's not hard.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Huzzah! posted:

There is a sneaky way to skip having to fight those guys, though you have to get past them once for this to work, to open the door.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej_LqccsuZY

This shortcut is half the reason I grab the Cat Ring early. The boss fight itself is the other half, because finding an opening to Estus when there are two Sentinels spinning at you is kind of a pain.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Geeeessssseee...!

This was fun, though I'm new at video editing, if this can even be called that.

Night Blade fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 30, 2014

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp
I'm starting to get frustrated with my inability to do guard breaks and jumping attacks in this game vs DS1... I've heard that this can be a controller issue. What controller can I buy to be sure I'll be able to regularly do those moves? Is there anything else I can do?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Oh hey

So it turns out that when you use an actually good shield like the Dranglaeic shield then shields are actually useful. So that's what I was doing wrong. It made the Ruin Sentinels fight a lot easier than it was when I was trying to dodge everything.

And thank gently caress that's over with at last :woop:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Section Z posted:

Also, I miss longsword having a 1 hand thrust :saddowns: Looks like only one shortsword exists per NG if you are not a Swordsman start, and sunlight sword is off in co-op grinding land whenever the heck I get access to that covenant, again a singular weapon.

Get the Heide Knight Sword, that thing owns bones.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Mr Dog posted:

Oh hey

So it turns out that when you use an actually good shield like the Dranglaeic shield then shields are actually useful. So that's what I was doing wrong. It made the Ruin Sentinels fight a lot easier than it was when I was trying to dodge everything.

And thank gently caress that's over with at last :woop:

Something that's kind of counter-intuitive is that when you're dodging, you generally want to roll towards or into a monster that is making a sweeping attack, and perpendicular to a monster that's doing a straight forward attack. Most monsters don't deal damage just for bumping into them (other than the suicide hollows I don't think any monster hurts you just for clipping your model) and the majority of the time if you roll towards the monster it either overshoots where you are and whiffs completely, or at worst you get hit with a less damaging part of the attack. It's kind of natural to roll away from danger, but it feels like the AI is tuned to track you very accurately if you try to back off, but completely loses you if you move towards it.

The other trick to dodging is that it really does matter which part of an attack animation you begin your dodge in. Almost every attack (every boss attack anyway) has a window where the first part of the attack is just winding up / set dressing, the part that's actually going to hurt you, and then the end part which is also usually just cosmetic. You kind of have to get a sense for which part of an attack animation is actually going to damage you and dodge then, even if it's not the first part that looks like it's going to connect with you.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Section Z posted:

I miss longsword having a 1 hand thrust :saddowns:
If you use rapier-class weapons, you can stab from behind a shield.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The estoc is my favorite longsword, not kidding. D scaling in dex, but it ends up with a B scaling in strength, so it probably evens out. It's mostly got stabs, it's got range, and you can still swing horizontally with it using the 1H R1. It holds buffs well because you can get a lot of attacks in quickly. It's got nice reach and yeah, you can use it from behind a shield.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You can use it from behind a shield because it's a rapier. The longsword is a straight sword, it's a different weapon class.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I know it's a thrusting sword. It is also my favorite longsword, just like how the halberd is the best spear and going naked is the best armor.

:colbert:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
My #1 disappointment with Dark Souls 2 is actually that they apparently took very little or no effort to clear up the game mechanics, and the UI remains as obtuse as before with only marginal improvements. I don't know about anyone else, but I hate when a game tries to hide its mechanics from me, especially if that game also expects me to do some amount of min-maxing to get past difficult obstacles. I thoroughly dislike having to read a third source for information about how to play the drat game correctly, y'know? Funny enough, two of my favorite games/franchises suffer from this in spades (Dark Souls and Dota), which I suppose goes to show that a game can be very, very good despite these failings, but that doesn't mean I like how obtuse they're being.

Dark Souls actually falls into this really strange place, when you think about it. On one hand, they seem to want to evoke this flavorful, immersive feeling where a sword is a sword and it matters more if your armor is light or heavy than when in the game you picked it up. You know, the opposite of how Japanese RPGs typically work, where a late-game cloth tunic can grant more protection than an early-game suit of platemail. They seem to want to discourage "mechanical" gameplay... but then, they also plainly expose the 50 different numbers that determine your character's effectiveness, and equally many numbers on every drat item in the game. It gives you all this information, but not quite enough to let you actually use it effectively without consulting third-party sources.

I wonder if there's any use hoping that Bloodborne will be any different.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Dark Souls 2 is actually worse in that respect in many ways since they took a bunch of systems that were fairly well balanced and worked (after some patching) and hosed around with them for no good reason. The best example of this is how stat scaling on weapons went from being somewhat obscure but understandable to being almost impossible to predict with just the information the game gives you - it's very possible to have 2 weapons, one with a higher damage scaling value than the other, but with the lower-scaling weapon actually gaining more damage from its scaling, because there are a ton of hidden factors that weigh in on how much damage scaling actually happens.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Looking for a fancy looking, decent 1h axe for dressup purposes sucks. :negative:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zedd posted:

Looking for a fancy looking, decent 1h axe for dressup purposes sucks. :negative:

Dragonslayer Crescent Axe :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
The lack of information about Alva annoys me. How am I supposed to use his armor if I don't know what his equipment was?! Right now I'm using a shield and a halberd. He was a knight of the church right?

Guess now he's gonna be a DeS knight of the church.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jun 30, 2014