Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

neogeo0823 posted:

I think it's supposed to show off how the ctOS is tracking literally every small detail of people's lives. It's supposed to be used as a way to get the player to think "Oh man, this ctOS thing needs to be stopped now!", but instead just turns Aiden into a creepy voyeur.

They could've showed that by just sticking with videos from in the ctOS Tower server rooms and the Bunker. There were usually about three in the tower server rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

dev null posted:

They could've showed that by just sticking with videos from in the ctOS Tower server rooms and the Bunker. There were usually about three in the tower server rooms.

Yeah man but how else were Ubisoft going to fill their collectables quota?

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
I caught this guy working out instead of doing his job.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How do you take out an enemy hacker once you profile them? You can't fire anything from inside a car, and if you get out to shoot then they'll get away.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

The Lone Badger posted:

How do you take out an enemy hacker once you profile them? You can't fire anything from inside a car, and if you get out to shoot then they'll get away.

Grenade Launcher/Destroyer. Also the second you cotton on that they are following you, get out of the drat car! They can't leave the purple area anyways until you profile them, so you should have your gun ready.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

The Lone Badger posted:

Half the time I don't even profile them, I just find and kill them. If they get in a car I chase them down, smash them into something, and jump out the second they're stuck trying to reverse and get clear of an accident and peg their car with the destroyer.

Basically I tend not to let them drive away, ever. If they manage it I give chase and try to hack them and crash them to a standstill.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

They should send the spidertank after you at max heat. And then you steal it.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

So I was supposed to kill a guy so that I could use his identity to do something. I ended up triggering a black out where he was holed up and ran inside to whack him with my stick. I figured if him being in the hospital was just as good as him being dead (especially since Aiden's original assumed that whatever happened to this guy, no one else would find out despite the guy having about a dozen guards at his disposal). The attack even registered as a take-down and not as a kill.

Well, I escaped without any other incident, but after a few objectives later, the dialogue suggested that I killed the guy after all. I guess this brings me to one of my own personal complaints about the game: more often than not, it insists on having things its way. I mean, Aiden stated in no ambiguous terms that he needs to kill the guy. I found a way to circumvent Aiden's demands, but the game treated it as if I had complied.

Also, there was an earlier mission where I had to booby trap an area to ambush some guys. I originally tried taking everyone out non-lethally, but eventually decided to make things quick and just set up two IEDs under the spot where each enemy car was going to park. After blowing up the cars in rapid succession, killing everybody inside, a mysterious ghost guard called reinforcements anyway. It's like the game wanted a long, drawn out shoot out even though I had clearly taken care of everybody in the immediate vicinity. I just kinda wish it rewarded me for thinking outside the box, but that is, in all honesty, probably too much to ask.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
I actually did the exact same as you for both of those things and the identity one I had the hardest time accepting. I'm wondering if the made him die because otherwise it would be way to much of a loose plot thread, but then again it doesn't feel like the wrap everything up all nice and tightly in the end anyways.

As for the ambush I think bringing in the reinforcements was because they had a pretty clear goal in what they wanted to achieve with the music, explosions, and man shooting. It feels like they cheat you pretty hard though because they set it up as you making the perfect ambush and then don't allow you to do that at all.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

What's the best current graphics mod? I tried TheWorse and it's nice at night, but the sun is way too bright during the day.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I finished the story and thought it was kind of weird how little the Bellweather stuff actually fit into the story. If you go around finding all the side stuff you get a good explanation as to what it is/does but if you were just playing the story missions you'd be pretty confused by the whole thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

I finished the story and thought it was kind of weird how little the Bellweather stuff actually fit into the story. If you go around finding all the side stuff you get a good explanation as to what it is/does but if you were just playing the story missions you'd be pretty confused by the whole thing.

It really felt like Bellweather was going to be the original big thing you took down and it got rewritten at some point, which is why the actual reveal A Chicago mayor... is corrupt and (accidentally) murdered someone?! is so lackluster.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
This game is odd. Just finished the main story and what the gently caress with the song choice? So out of place.

Also while watching Lucky talk to the mayor the was a guy kissing a topless girl. Is that supposed to be there or some weird bug?

Just odd choices throughout. Enjoyed it but think I'm pretty done with it now.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Bigsteve posted:

This game is odd. Just finished the main story and what the gently caress with the song choice? So out of place.

Also while watching Lucky talk to the mayor the was a guy kissing a topless girl. Is that supposed to be there or some weird bug?

Just odd choices throughout. Enjoyed it but think I'm pretty done with it now.

I think that was one of lucky's men talking to what basically was a sex slave.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Moochewmoo posted:

I actually did the exact same as you for both of those things and the identity one I had the hardest time accepting. I'm wondering if the made him die because otherwise it would be way to much of a loose plot thread, but then again it doesn't feel like the wrap everything up all nice and tightly in the end anyways.

I think the writers just assumed you were going to do what Aiden said he was going to do ("I need to kill this guy who is only tangentially involved with the people who kidnapped my sister because if I don't kill him then I can't pretend to be him at a party") and didn't plan for any alternative course of action. Which made me realize why people criticize Aiden's writing; he's really inconsistent. Early on, he expresses that he doesn't want to kill the witness at the baseball game and even says that the witness was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Later, he's all too eager to kill someone he's never met just so that he can steal his invitation to a party. When there are many other ways to ensure that the guy doesn't show up at the party to blow Aiden's cover.

Moochewmoo posted:

As for the ambush I think bringing in the reinforcements was because they had a pretty clear goal in what they wanted to achieve with the music, explosions, and man shooting. It feels like they cheat you pretty hard though because they set it up as you making the perfect ambush and then don't allow you to do that at all.

They do reveal later on that there was a guy outside in a car (who you have to chase), so I'll let that one slide. I was just a little disappointed. But then the Clan came on and I couldn't stay mad. :3:

Lanth
Jun 15, 2007
Lipstick Apathy
Didn't see this posted yet, sorry if it's a repost:

Watch_Dogs as a (bad) movie script

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Lanth posted:

This thing is hilarious and belongs at the top of the OP. These sort of point-by point deconstructions are of course a bit unfair, since no plot can hold up to this level of scrutiny, but in this case it's wholly deserved, and the author demonstrates a degree of awareness of writing and design that makes its criticisms absolutely brutal. He's also, rather incredibly, done what I did and at least played enough of the game to collect a large percentage of the optional audiologs.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 30, 2014

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

I don't think a bad movie script would break the fourth wall constantly with narrative-detached protagonists pointing out its flaws.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Do you climb radio towers in this game? Also do I have to hold a button to loot things while I watch the same animation I've seen 1000x play again?

This will actually influence my purchase, please advice

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Do you climb radio towers in this game?
They are called ctOS towers in this game.

quote:

Also do I have to hold a button to loot things while I watch the same animation I've seen 1000x play again?
No, they must have forgot to do this. You just walk over the enemy to loot money and ammo.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Canned animations occur for some interactions, like hacking a control box (you can usually hack these remotely though).

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 30, 2014

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

This is amazing. Added to the 2P.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

This thing is hilarious and belongs at the top of the OP. These sort of point-by point deconstructions are of course a bit unfair, since no plot can hold up to this level of scrutiny, but in this case it's wholly deserved, and the author demonstrates a degree of awareness of writing and design that makes its criticisms absolutely brutal. He's also, rather incredibly, done what I did and at least played enough of the game to collect a large percentage of the optional audiologs.

The graveyard scene near the end is spot on too.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

ShootaBoy posted:

This is amazing. Added to the 2P.

quote:

AIDEN is LATE TO THE PARTY, despite having STOLEN A CAR and RUN OVER TWO PEDESTRIANS to GET THERE FASTER.

:allears:

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Lena's Grave:

2006 - 2012
She was 6 years old.

Thanks for doing the math Ubisoft.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I wouldn't object to Aiden's self-centered sociopathy a fraction as much if he wasn't so hypocritical and self-righteous about it. Give me someone who can take some joy in their profession, like the Boss or Jordi, and I'll roll right along with them.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

I wouldn't object to Aiden's self-centered sociopathy a fraction as much if he wasn't so hypocritical and self-righteous about it. Give me someone who can take some joy in their profession, like the Boss or Jordi, and I'll roll right along with them.

It's funny how Ubisoft made the exact same mistake with Aiden as they did with Altair. That guy's biggest problem wasn't his sulky-teen demeanor, or his (inexplicably) whitebread accent, it's that he was so joyless about everything. Then Ezio dropped off a rooftop and into the haystack of our hearts.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I thought Altair was written pretty well, actually. His character wasn't passive, responded proactively to things, questioned the motives and ideas of others, and never came across as criminally incompetent, unlike Pearce.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I also take issue with the fact that Pearce claims to be this badass manipulator but has all the personality of a mouldy turnip. He's really, really bad at interacting with people.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aiden is just a completely terrible character on all levels. Even if you buy the "he's a massive hypocrite on purpose" part, that doesn't change all the other nonsensical fuckups.

The Lone Badger posted:

I also take issue with the fact that Pearce claims to be this badass manipulator but has all the personality of a mouldy turnip. He's really, really bad at interacting with people.

I like how literally 90% of the plot could have been avoided if Aiden didn't intentionally antagonize a dude for little reason.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Aiden and Clara's relationship is really strange. Like, there are all these scenes where their body language would imply sexual tension, but the things coming out of their mouths do not make any sense.

Pretty sure this would be the Ubisoft writers response if they were directly questioned about why Aiden's relationships with his sister/Clara are so creepy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSlzdnL_zjU

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 30, 2014

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

PantsBandit posted:

Aiden and Clara's relationship is really strange. Like, there are all these scenes where their body language would imply sexual tension, but the things coming out of their mouths do not make any sense.

I was honestly relieved that they didn't follow through with any kind of romantic/sexual stuff with Clara. The plot already uses female characters as one-dimensional framing devices for the two-dimensional male characters, it sure as poo poo doesn't need any cringeworthy flirting between Gravelvoice McLazytrope and Frenchy Mack to boot.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Did anyone else with a season pass (assuming I'm not the only idiot) get any notification of DLC being available last week? My PS4 version said nothing.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

leidend posted:

Did anyone else with a season pass (assuming I'm not the only idiot) get any notification of DLC being available last week? My PS4 version said nothing.

I bought the game (PC digital) and season pass directly from the Ubishop, and I've only got Conspiracy! in my list of DLC.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

They put up some of the pre-order packs (1 mission each, plus outfits/guns/perks). You can download them from within the game, at least on PS4 (main menu -> additional content -> PS store). The ones I got don't match the description in this Eurogamer article. It's all a bit of a mess!

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Lanth posted:

Jesus Christ did you actually read all of this?

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I love when a hacker gets found early and suicides by proxy mine. Go with God, techno warrior :black101:

Lanth
Jun 15, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

circ dick soleil posted:

Jesus Christ did you actually read all of this?

It's not that long, and I was entertained. v:q:v

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

thegloaming posted:

So I was supposed to kill a guy so that I could use his identity to do something. I ended up triggering a black out where he was holed up and ran inside to whack him with my stick. I figured if him being in the hospital was just as good as him being dead (especially since Aiden's original assumed that whatever happened to this guy, no one else would find out despite the guy having about a dozen guards at his disposal). The attack even registered as a take-down and not as a kill.

I did that first, then I restarted the mission specifically so I could shoot him lots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Why is it that every time Damien lets Aiden talks to his sister the conversation is extremely casual and...flirtatious? Like, you would think she'd be flipping out because she'd been kidnapped and her autistic son doesn't know where she is?

gently caress the writing in this game is so weird.

Still enjoying it though.

• Locked thread