Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

You mean like some kind of Dark Avatar?

Dark avatars should have been tied to yin and yang but the show dumped that plot element.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

You mean like some kind of Dark Avatar?

No not evil, just a dick.

Also yea the first episode were really good and fun, I'm cautiously hopeful for the season.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
...I actually kind of liked a lot of last season. Not all of it, but a lot of it. I liked it a lot more than season 1 even if it ultimately made less sense. And it revealed the real secret of the Avatar universe, which is that every Avatar since the first has just been making poo poo up as they go along.

Never figured out Unalaq's plan, though. Raava was clearly just going to destroy the universe. I don't know why he would be up for that. That seems like a bad deal, even for him.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The real question is, is this the season we're finally going to get Korra Legos?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The Taint Reaper posted:

The real question is, is this the season we're finally going to get Korra Legos?

No. It will be... Megabloks. :unsmigghh:

On another note, is there anywhere to legally rewatch these? I ended up having some stuff I had to do at the time of the premiere, and for whatever the hell reason, iTunes is completely clear of everything but the first season OST.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

dj_clawson posted:

Never figured out Unalaq's plan, though. Raava was clearly just going to destroy the universe. I don't know why he would be up for that. That seems like a bad deal, even for him.

Eastern reality is cyclical and symbiotic so he thought he was linking up with a necessary and inevitable cosmic force. Raava gets to be dickish, stale and stiff as her supremecy stagnates, and Vaatu is set to tear that poo poo down. This is evaded through half assed balance (achieved through dissipation and not synthesis) even though korra never articulated what she learned in the tree (reducing Vaatu to plain old corruption) and Korraverse was set up for building societal upheaval the avatar would be increasingly unable to mitigate.

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 29, 2014

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Regalingualius posted:

On another note, is there anywhere to legally rewatch these?
Not at the moment, and yes that is unusual, and no we don't know why.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well I'm hella glad to see that the shrill hyperbole that drove me from the last thread is alive and well here as well :buddy:

Anyway, I thought the episodes were great, though parts of the third episode's animation were as spotty as the stuff book 2 offered. Really loving the villains; I've been wanting an evil airbender on this show forever and now I get what I want~

One thing I did notice, though...when that guy on the bridge in the first episode said that he didn't want to be an airbender and begged Korra to "make it stop," and Korra said that she couldn't? Weeeelllll....technically, she could. She can take his bending away pretty easily, really.

Sithsaber posted:

Eastern reality is cyclical and symbiotic so he thought he was linking up with a necessary and inevitable cosmic force. Raava gets to be dickish, stale and stiff as her supremecy stagnates, and Vaatu is set to tear that poo poo down. This is evaded through half assed balance (achieved through dissipation and not synthesis) even though korra never articulated what she learned in the tree (reducing Vaatu to plain old corruption) and Korraverse was set up for building societal upheaval the avatar would be increasingly unable to mitigate.
Eastern reality is cyclical, but if there's something really bad out there then you go out there and you punch it in the face handle it the best you can. The idea that both good and evil must exist for there to be balance is a huge misrepresentation of eastern ideology. Evils are an inherent aspect of the world, but to overcome those evils is to achieve balance...or, maybe more accurately, harmony. And the whole "balance" part really comes from Buddha preaching the "middle path," which was a direct response against the extreme asceticism as practiced by the Hindus at the time. It has nothing to do with morality per se, and certainly doesn't mean that good things must exist alongside equivocally bad things.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

BrianWilly posted:

Well I'm hella glad to see that the shrill hyperbole that drove me from the last thread is alive and well here as well :buddy:

Anyway, I thought the episodes were great, though parts of the third episode's animation were as spotty as the stuff book 2 offered. Really loving the villains; I've been wanting an evil airbender on this show forever and now I get what I want~

One thing I did notice, though...when that guy on the bridge in the first episode said that he didn't want to be an airbender and begged Korra to "make it stop," and Korra said that she couldn't? Weeeelllll....technically, she could. She can take his bending away pretty easily, really.
Eastern reality is cyclical, but if there's something really bad out there then you go out there and you punch it in the face handle it the best you can. The idea that both good and evil must exist for there to be balance is a huge misrepresentation of eastern ideology. Evils are an inherent aspect of the world, but to overcome those evils is to achieve balance...or, maybe more accurately, harmony. And the whole "balance" part really comes from Buddha preaching the "middle path," which was a direct response against the extreme asceticism as practiced by the Hindus at the time. It has nothing to do with morality per se, and certainly doesn't mean that good things must exist alongside equivocally bad things.

Aren't there good and bad aspects to both yin and yang?

Ps. And the middle path is the path beyond attachment which works when Aang's a "bad" dad or Korra leaves the portals open but falls through when the audience is led to believe that Raava isn't a part of Vaatu just as Vaatu is a part of Raava.Ages end in upheaval and disrupting the process without absorbing it leads to exaggerated positions etc cetera. This show is more taoist than buddhist, and unless I'm wrong the next uber villain is going to be revealed as a antibuddha/ some of those tibetan protector tattva spirits.

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 29, 2014

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Sure, and it's not that "yin" is bad and "yang" is good. They're metaphysical attributes, not moral ones. Yang represents sunlight and laughter and life and joy, but someone who murders a bunch of other people in a fit of rage would still be exhibiting "yang" energy...forceful, fiery, fierce yang energy. Vaatu and Raava visually resemble opposing forces of yin and yang but are not true depictions of those things (nor do I think they were intended to be). I think the closest they get to being yin-yang archetypes is when they say that both of them actually exist within the other.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

BrianWilly posted:

Sure, and it's not that "yin" is bad and "yang" is good. They're metaphysical attributes, not moral ones. Yang represents sunlight and laughter and life and joy, but someone who murders a bunch of other people in a fit of rage would still be exhibiting "yang" energy...forceful, fiery, fierce yang energy. Vaatu and Raava visually resemble opposing forces of yin and yang but are not true depictions of those things (nor do I think they were intended to be). I think the closest they get to being yin-yang archetypes is when they say that both of them actually exist within the other.

The yin and yang dynamic (and overlap) is the angle I would have pursued in season 3, which is why I was kind of disappointed in the end of that season.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

She doesn't have access to her past lives' memories anymore, so unless she learned specifically how to do that from Aang (as opposed to just seeing him do it), she doesn't have the knowledge of how to do it.

Also it is a massive risk to the Avatar spirit to do that which seems like a poor thing to do when you could talk the guy down instead.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

ImpAtom posted:

She doesn't have access to her past lives' memories anymore, so unless she learned specifically how to do that from Aang (as opposed to just seeing him do it), she doesn't have the knowledge of how to do it.

Also it is a massive risk to the Avatar spirit to do that which seems like a poor thing to do when you could talk the guy down instead.

She bore witness to everything in that world tree, at least briefly making her a tao God with a inherent understanding of the energy of the universe etc etc. Energy bending is a epiphenic underlying skill that isn't dependent on training. (Unless the lion turtle just gave Aang his power of energy bending which would mean that the power is gone because the lineage is broken) Instead of that, I'm pretty sure Korra just meant that she "couldn't" take away the future of a people because of the uncertainty of its future forebears.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Sithsaber posted:

She bore witness to everything in that world tree, at least briefly making her a tao God with a inherent understanding of the energy of the universe etc etc. Energy bending is a epiphenic underlying skill that isn't dependent on training. (Unless the lion turtle just gave Aang his power of energy bending which would mean that the power is gone because the lineage is broken) Instead of that, I'm pretty sure Korra just meant that she "couldn't" take away the future of a people because of the uncertainty of its future forebears.

Nonetheless the key challenge for Aang was that his own spirit had to be "unbendable" to not be destroyed by the process of de-bending someone, and Korra is bendable as poo poo. Her mood turns on a dime and she has very little certainty about who she is (other than being the AVATAR, yes, we get it already Korra) and what she's supposed to be doing. I would be very surprised if Korra was able to de-bend someone. It would really take away from Aang's triumph over Ozai.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

She was able to restore people's bending on her own in Republic City after Amon took it away. It stands to reason she could take people's bending away too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AshB posted:

She was able to restore people's bending on her own in Republic City after Amon took it away. It stands to reason she could take people's bending away too.

You're right, my mistake.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

ImpAtom posted:

You're right, my mistake.

Your argument was that that ability stemmed from Aang who was the one who fixed her. She also bended away Vaatu, so that argument is flawed.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Why do I have this terrible theory that Kai's big "change" he was talking about after gaining airbending has something to do with Aang's now disconnected/destroyed spirit?
Unless I am mistaken, Aang's spirit isn't really disconnected; Korra just can't readily access past life memories. Aren't all the Avatars the continually reincarnated spirit of the same entity? Korra is Aang, just as Aang was Roku, and Roku was Kyoshi. And the implications of that concept are actually something that seem largely ignored by both shows. How does Katara, for example, feel about her husband's spirit inhabiting a teenage girl? I mean, it's also a little weird that Tenzin is essentially mentoring a different spiritual facet of his own father.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 30, 2014

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

X_Toad posted:

Book 2 is terrible on the bending front though, easily the worst Book as far as that is concerned. The most interesting fight for me was Unalaq vs. The Ferret Brothers, and that was very short and one-sided. And don't get me started on the twins and how unimpressive their bending was after the way they were hyped!

Tonraq vs. Unalaq was a much more impressive fight, as were the fights between Wan/Korra and Vatuu.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Nichael posted:

Unless I am mistaken, Aang's spirit isn't really disconnected; Korra just can't readily access past life memories. Aren't all the Avatars the continually reincarnated spirit of the same entity? Korra is Aang, just as Aang was Roku, and Roku was Kyoshi. And the implications of that concept are actually something that seem largely ignored by both shows. How does Katara, for example, feel about her husband's spirit inhabiting a teenage girl?

The spirit isn't singular in these types of traditions. Aang also "let go" of Katara, so spirit cheating is copacetic.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

dj_clawson posted:

Nonetheless the key challenge for Aang was that his own spirit had to be "unbendable" to not be destroyed by the process of de-bending someone, and Korra is bendable as poo poo. Her mood turns on a dime and she has very little certainty about who she is (other than being the AVATAR, yes, we get it already Korra) and what she's supposed to be doing. I would be very surprised if Korra was able to de-bend someone. It would really take away from Aang's triumph over Ozai.

We see here energy bend int he fight though? What went down between her and Unalaq was exactly what the Lion Turtle described. Like Aang and Ozai Korra and Unalaq both become colored energy beings. They start pushing their energy at the other and their respective color slowly overwhelmes the other until it covers them completely, with the eyes being last of all. The difference is while Aang didn't destroy Ozai, Korra does destroy Unalaq. The whole threat to energy bending is you corrupt the other and destroy them, and Unalaq and Vatuu were being corrupting force to create dark spirits.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Tonraq vs. Unalaq was a much more impressive fight, as were the fights between Wan/Korra and Vatuu.
Yeah, but when the brothers fight together the showrunners make a point of showing how they use their powers to compliment each other, like Bolin tossing Mako up with a stone pillar so Mako can attack from above, or Mako making someone dodge out of a fire blast directly into Bolin's boulders. Visually it is very interesting, though i expect the reason the fights of the two of them working together are so short because coming up with the teamwork moves without getting repetitive is a lot harder than two benders fighting on the same side.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 30, 2014

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Anyone know why this isn't up on iTunes or Amazon Instant yet? :(

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

thexerox123 posted:

Just out of curiosity, who wrote episodes 4-6? I'm hoping they stuck with getting Tim Hedrick and Joshua Hamilton to write more of this season!

Josh wrote 4.

Brian wrote 5.

A new person I think named Katie Matilla wrote 6.

They're all fantastic though.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

I suspect that Nick is doing such a lousy job of publicity and burning off episodes quickly because this show doesn't make a lot of money for them so they don't give a poo poo, and would rather get back to a show that sells toys. This includes bothering to put it up on iTunes.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Fried Chicken posted:

We see here energy bend int he fight though? What went down between her and Unalaq was exactly what the Lion Turtle described. Like Aang and Ozai Korra and Unalaq both become colored energy beings. They start pushing their energy at the other and their respective color slowly overwhelmes the other until it covers them completely, with the eyes being last of all. The difference is while Aang didn't destroy Ozai, Korra does destroy Unalaq. The whole threat to energy bending is you corrupt the other and destroy them, and Unalaq and Vatuu were being corrupting force to create dark spirits.

That's true.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm still hoping we get a more interesting explanation about why air bending is showing up in random people beyond "Harmonic Convergence". Up until now we've had no evidence that the power to gift humans with the elements is outside the domain of the lion turtles. Honestly I was wondering if the lion turtles were going to come back (they left because Wan separated humans and spirits, but now Korra's collided them back together) but they obviously can't be trolling around giving out airbending without anybody noticing, so it has to be something else.

Also on the note of airbending, I guess I'm one of the few people who really isn't bothered that Bumi got it. I'm just hoping we get a little more introspection about what it actually means to himself and the dynamic of how he's lived his life in Tenzin's shadow. Considering we've just had zany shenanigans so far though, I doubt I'll get my wish.

Also drat do I love these new villains. Particularly Zaheer; I like how they animated his fighting style to show that he's not so much a pure airbender, but a very graceful melee fighter who uses bending to augment his style and land the finisher. I'm hoping we get to see him fight Tenzin or one of the other air benders who are not Korra, simply for the novelty of it being the first pure airbender vs airbender fight across both series.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

dj_clawson posted:

I suspect that Nick is doing such a lousy job of publicity and burning off episodes quickly because this show doesn't make a lot of money for them so they don't give a poo poo, and would rather get back to a show that sells toys. This includes bothering to put it up on iTunes.

Yet they've also removed the seasons that were already on iTunes, too. And so far as I'm aware, it's just Korra that got bumped off; the original series is still up, for example.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sydin posted:

I'm still hoping we get a more interesting explanation about why air bending is showing up in random people beyond "Harmonic Convergence". Up until now we've had no evidence that the power to gift humans with the elements is outside the domain of the lion turtles. Honestly I was wondering if the lion turtles were going to come back (they left because Wan separated humans and spirits, but now Korra's collided them back together) but they obviously can't be trolling around giving out airbending without anybody noticing, so it has to be something else.

I sort of suspect it is going to be connected to lineage somehow. The Airbender villain clearly had knowledge of Airbender 'children stories' despite not being an Airbender himself and Bumi is pretty obvious in that regard. There might be another excuse for it but it could just be that something 'jumpstarted' the latent Airbenderness that these people had but didn't have access to.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

ConfusedUs posted:

They realized that they can't compete with pirates. (Or a cartel member gave their kid a early birthday present and is threatening to leak the rest unless his son gets a cameo next season)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I thought it was established that what Amon did was just a really refined version of bloodbending, not any energy poo poo. As far as that's concerned then she doesn't know how to completely strip someone of their spiritual connection to their element, or whatever the gently caress it is that allows people to bend.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

dj_clawson posted:

I don't quite get how or why this show is seemingly doing poorly ratings wise. What happened? I get that the timeslot change didn't help from season one to two, but did it really impact that much?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nichael posted:

I don't quite get how or why this show is seemingly doing poorly ratings wise. What happened? I get that the timeslot change didn't help from season one to two, but did it really impact that much?

The timeslots are moved around constantly, double-episodes are shown with poor marketing, episodes are leaked online well in advance, episodes are also freely available online shortly after airing, and the show also has problems. It's not a good combo. Literally the only reason I knew the new episodes were airing was because I went looking for information on the Platinum game.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

On Tenzin and airbending: I know this had to had to happen the way it did for plot/character reasons, but Tenzin really could have sold airbending school much better.

"Hi! I see you have a power you currently can't control. Well, it turns out I'm the only airbending teacher on the planet, so why don't you come to my temple for a couple months, all expenses paid, and I'll show you how to properly airbend so you can use it in your life without destroying everything around you?"

That's how cults get people in.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

dj_clawson posted:

On Tenzin and airbending: I know this had to had to happen the way it did for plot/character reasons, but Tenzin really could have sold airbending school much better.

"Hi! I see you have a power you currently can't control. Well, it turns out I'm the only airbending teacher on the planet, so why don't you come to my temple for a couple months, all expenses paid, and I'll show you how to properly airbend so you can use it in your life without destroying everything around you?"

That's how cults get people in.

Tenzin legitimately thinks all the things he mentioned are great. He is legitimately confused why you wouldn't want an Air Bison as a best friend.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.

ConfusedUs posted:

Your guess is as good as mine. Maybe they had it scheleued to go up on september? But rushed to air episodes on cable early after the leak and itunes/amazon release isn't changed.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

ImpAtom posted:

Tenzin legitimately thinks all the things he mentioned are great. He is legitimately confused why you wouldn't want an Air Bison as a best friend.

And to be honest, so am I. <:mad:>

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

nutranurse posted:

And to be honest, so am I. <:mad:>

Gotta admit. The vegetarian thing would give me pause.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Superstring posted:

Gotta admit. The vegetarian thing would give me pause.

I would just plan to cheat behind Tenzin's back.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

Not a fan of "one man vs. monster" fights, and Unalaq/Tonraq was somewhat ruined for me by Tonraq's "strategy", to go in and punch his brother. I also had a hard time accepting that we had that fight at all, it only happens because of Unalaq's hatred of his brother, but that particular angle on the character was treated badly through the season so I couldn't care less about its resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

dj_clawson posted:

I would just plan to cheat behind Tenzin's back.

Skybison Burgers.

• Locked thread