Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
STO is like a retarded, cartoony "best of" that I don't think can be remotely taken seriously. It's improved a hell of a lot as a game since it launched, but unless you're gaming the system to get spacerich and gently caress with the terrible, truly awful people that infest the community then you're doing it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
In the original timeline, Kirk, Scotty and McCoy are still alive in the 2380's.

McCoy is almost 160 years old, Scotty is like 80 (see: TNG Dyson Sphere episode) and Kirk is Generations-age Kirk through the magic of Borg cloning and time travel.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Everything in STO is fan wanky as hell. Expect any and every thing that has ever appeared in an episode of Star Trek to be connected in some stupid way to that other thing that appeared in that one episode.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Subyng posted:

Everything in STO is fan wanky as hell. Expect any and every thing that has ever appeared in an episode of Star Trek to be connected in some stupid way to that other thing that appeared in that one episode.

That, and Iconians did 9/11.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Haven't there also been novels released that tie in the plot or whatever of ST:O into the current canon non-rebooted timeline?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

If anything, I seriously bet that the tests and academia were exactly what Barclay excelled at. Even the high-pressure ones. Because it's just a test, right? I can easily buy the idea of someone who flew through Starfleet Academy with flying colors, and then got serious nerves when confronted with The Real Thing.

Yeah, Barclay is exactly the kind of guy who annihilates aptitude tests and has all the right answers in the personal interview, but is actually really lovely at his job because he's just a mess of a human being. But goddrat, can he fix a loving pattern buffer!

I think Geordi even says as much in Barclay's first episode. Something about how he's never met anyone so drat good at his job, but it's just too bad Broccoli is such an unreliable spastic.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Yeah, Roddenberry was in the Army Air Corps, not Navy. He flew (and crashed) B-17s. Then after the war he flew (and crashed) Constellations for TWA. Somehow he survived being a pilot and changed careers.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Elron Hubbard was in the Navy, that's why they have SeaOrg.

I like to call him Elron because that sounds like what his alien name would be.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sash! posted:

Elron.

Elrond.

:tinfoil:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I had a dream I was watching Star Trek V and Spock had to rescue Kirk because he'd fallen into a river of molten cheese. Seemed about right, at the time.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Gaz-L posted:

Elron.

Elrond.

:tinfoil:

Strangers from distant lands, friends of old, you have been summoned here to answer the threat of Xenu. Teegeeack stands upon the brink of destruction; none can escape it. You will unite or you will fall. Each race is bound to this fate, this one doom. Bring forth the e-meter, Gaz-L.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

Sash! posted:

PKD has a false messiah character named "Elron Hu" in a short story.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sash! posted:

Have they ever really explored what happened on First Contact Day 2? So the Vulcans land and don't get a facefull of shotgun. What happened next? How did word get out? Did it just start raining Vulcans one day? What compelled the Vulcans to hang around and help lovely old humanity out?
I'd say this is sort of a Rorschach blot question based on current pessimism! Presumably the Vulcans were acting altruistically, if possibly with the anticipation of making humanity a friendly client race over a long period of time and benefitting from that. Considering the Vulcans seem to be big in the Federation, I guess it worked out; I'm pretty sure if some mud-sucking Tellarites wanted to reunify with the Bellarites in Klingon space, they wouldn't get nearly as much support.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Fister Roboto posted:

Is the Academy Starfleet's only commissioning source? Maybe Barclay did Starfleet ROTC.

I seem to recall a background on Barclay at some point indicated he didn't go to the Academy but attended some other institution and got degrees in computer science. Due to his education and skills, Starfleet offered him entry as an officer in order to lure him from whatever other goals he might have had in mind.

edit: Apparently, that's non-canon, though.

Memory Alpha posted:

Barclay appears as a selectable crew member in the non-canon video game Star Trek: Starship Creator, in which his personnel file states he was born in 2340 in Cleveland, Ohio and gained a Masters Degree in Computer Systems from the Daystrom Institute in 2362. It explains he did not attend Starfleet Academy and was instead offered a commission by Starfleet at the rank of Lieutenant Junior Grade, which he accepted. It further states that Barclay's interests are holoprogramming, theater, speculative fiction and self-help books, and that his father is Reginald Barclay II and his mother is Commander Alicia Barclay, both of whom reside in Swansea, Wales.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 30, 2014

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!

AndyElusive posted:

Haven't there also been novels released that tie in the plot or whatever of ST:O into the current canon non-rebooted timeline?

Novels written by none other than "Jake Sisko"

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

What, you think every test is perfect? I mean it was pretty clear that Barclay was considered an abnormally poor performer by his peers, so it's trivial to dismiss it as maybe the test coordinator was having an off day.

I seem to recall that when Riker discussed the "Barclay problem" with Picard, he or Picard mentioned that Barclay came with a strong recommendation from his former Captain. So his personal issues seemed to be manageable until he arrived on Enterprise-D.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

It's a time honored military tradition, getting rid of problem personnel by sending them someplace else with a glowing recommendation.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

FuturePastNow posted:

Yeah, Roddenberry was in the Army Air Corps, not Navy. He flew (and crashed) B-17s. Then after the war he flew (and crashed) Constellations for TWA. Somehow he survived being a pilot and changed careers.

I can't find anything that says Roddenberry crashed a Constellation, but he got a commendation for rescuing passengers in a crash on one he was not flying:

June 19, 1947: Pan Am Flight 121 (NC88845, Clipper Eclipse), crashed near Al Mayadin, Syria on a flight originating in New York and making its inaugural westbound flight of round-the-world service. The aircraft's No. 1 engine failed half-way on a leg from Karachi to Istanbul. Due to closed airports and inadequate repair facilities, the pilot chose to continue to its destination. Several hours later, the remaining engines overheated and the No. 2 engine caught fire, causing the plane to crash. Gene Roddenberry (creator of Star Trek) was a deadheading Pan Am pilot aboard who helped rescue many of the passengers. Fourteen of the 36 people on board were killed.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Alan BStard posted:

Novels written by none other than "Jake Sisko"

What the poo poo.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!

AndyElusive posted:

What the poo poo.

Researching this led me to find http://rappin-siskos-virtual-posse.blogspot.co.uk/ which actually seems to be quite good

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Number_6 posted:

I seem to recall that when Riker discussed the "Barclay problem" with Picard, he or Picard mentioned that Barclay came with a strong recommendation from his former Captain. So his personal issues seemed to be manageable until he arrived on Enterprise-D.

hahahahahaha

hailthefish posted:

It's a time honored military tradition, getting rid of problem personnel by sending them someplace else with a glowing recommendation.

this. Barclay is literally a parody of a trek fan. There is zero chance he was ever not a giant sperge.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Number_6 posted:

I can't find anything that says Roddenberry crashed a Constellation, but he got a commendation for rescuing passengers in a crash on one he was not flying:

June 19, 1947: Pan Am Flight 121 (NC88845, Clipper Eclipse), crashed near Al Mayadin, Syria on a flight originating in New York and making its inaugural westbound flight of round-the-world service. The aircraft's No. 1 engine failed half-way on a leg from Karachi to Istanbul. Due to closed airports and inadequate repair facilities, the pilot chose to continue to its destination. Several hours later, the remaining engines overheated and the No. 2 engine caught fire, causing the plane to crash. Gene Roddenberry (creator of Star Trek) was a deadheading Pan Am pilot aboard who helped rescue many of the passengers. Fourteen of the 36 people on board were killed.

drat, you're right. It's apparently been way too long since I read his autobiography.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

And of the survivors, how many were women? And of those women, how many did Gene attempt to sleep with?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

And of the survivors, how many were women? And of those women, how many did Gene attempt to sleep with?

Only the ones who were very womanly, who had that stripper walk. He could afford to be choosy you see, because Mr. Roddenberry was definitely not a "nerd."

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Alan BStard posted:

Researching this led me to find http://rappin-siskos-virtual-posse.blogspot.co.uk/ which actually seems to be quite good

Rappin' Jake Sisko is one of the best things about the AVClub's DS9 reviews.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Apollodorus posted:

I remember that Worf was the usual CO for the Defiant, and he was a Lt. Commander.

Mostly, I think the "no enlisted personnel, everyone's an officer" thing comes from Roddenberry having an inferiority complex about not being an officer when he was in the Navy.

18th century Royal Navy again. Lieutenant Commanders were lieutenants with at least 8 years experience and could be given command of small ships.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Alan BStard posted:

Literally the only thing worth reading in AVclub

howe_sam posted:

Rappin' Jake Sisko is one of the best things about the AVClub's DS9 reviews.

Dammit.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?
Just watched the episode Ménage à Troi from TNG and saw one of my favourite moments on the bridge when Lwaxana is returned to The Enterprise and Captain Picard tells Wesley Crusher to set a course for Betazed and almost whispers, "Warp 9." Just to get there quicker to save him spending any more time with Lwaxana than is needed. Amazing!

Edit:

FuturePastNow posted:

Strangely, in the very same episode, it turns out after Wesley Crusher was field promoted to Ensign that after the episode was filmed Roddenberry gave his 'bars' from his service in the Air Corps to Will Wheaton in a ceremony with Colin Powell present! His Air Corps rank was the equivalent to a Naval Ensign.

James R fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 30, 2014

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I recently tried to watch Enterprise again ( I couldn't, it was too boring ), but I was struck by a scene of T'Pol eating. T'Pol is a Vulcan, Vulcan's are vegetarian, so naturally, her plate consisted entirely of vegetables. Like five sticks of celery, some cucumbers and maybe some broccoli. Yes, that is the type of food that vegetarians eat. Holy poo poo.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Snak posted:

I recently tried to watch Enterprise again ( I couldn't, it was too boring ), but I was struck by a scene of T'Pol eating. T'Pol is a Vulcan, Vulcan's are vegetarian, so naturally, her plate consisted entirely of vegetables. Like five sticks of celery, some cucumbers and maybe some broccoli. Yes, that is the type of food that vegetarians eat. Holy poo poo.

Listen, Chef Riker doesn't do any of that pussy 'vejutayrian' cookin'! Only good ol' fashioned, red blooded 'Merican Earthican food.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

Sash! posted:

Until 2009, the US didn't fly any enlisted astronauts. I'm pretty sure there haven't actually been any, even after they started allowing enlisted applications. I'm pretty sure no one's astronaut corps draw from enlisted men.

"Man, you are never gonna get to fly the space shuttle if you marry a stripper."

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Number_6 posted:

Go watch that episode again, that "strong recommendation" was so that captain could get Barclay far, far, away from his ship.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Snak posted:

She's not human, so stop forcing your human vegetarian ideals on her.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sash! posted:

She's not human, so stop forcing your human vegetarian ideals on her.

Well she was eating only earth plants. I guess that Vulcans have much more sensitive palates than humans, so maybe the celery was like, her desert, since she can't have been eating it for the nutrition.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

When you see Vulcan food, it's quite clear that they don't eat for aesthetics or flavour, but rather, for sustenance. I guess it's the "logical = unemotional = bland" poo poo again. It's also why I'm convinced they'd enjoy music like Eisterzude Neubauten, simply because of all the jangles and whatnot.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Last night's episode of Robot Chicken featured a pretty funny sketch involving Patrick Stewart (as Picard) and Chris Pine (as the captain of the Enterprise-D's night shift crew). I lol'd.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Vagabundo posted:

When you see Vulcan food, it's quite clear that they don't eat for aesthetics or flavour, but rather, for sustenance. I guess it's the "logical = unemotional = bland" poo poo again. It's also why I'm convinced they'd enjoy music like Eisterzude Neubauten, simply because of all the jangles and whatnot.

Which is why her plate being half celery is so dumb.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

No no no its clearly Vulcan celery. Every earth thing has an exact analogue on other planets, so that people can make future-sounding analogies. Like romulan salmon or cardassian orang utans.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Or swedish meatballs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Borg meatballs.

• Locked thread