Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

DJ Dizzy posted:

Is it possible to magnetize the deathstrike missile launcher so you can also build it as a manticore?

Not without using a poo poo-ton of magnets. The issue is that in addition to the launcher rack being built in an entirely different confguration (Manticore has the targeting sensor thing in the middle, plus one short rack on either side, DS has no targeting thingy and a single double-length rack) the Deathstrike missile itself actually uses some of the parts for the Storm Eagle rockets as the secondary boosters. I suppose it COULD be done, but honestly just the sheer amount of fiddly effort involved makes it very much not worth it - besides magnetizing the rack into a modular configuration you'd need to basically make the storm eagle rockets split into neat halves to build the deathstrike missile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

How's 9 Thallax and 20 Tech-thralls as a starting point for low-point AdMech? And a Prime.

Speaking of Thralls, las-locks or mitralocks?

Thralls are worse than guardsmen. You want to give them the rite of pure thought and that's probably it. Keep them cheap as chips and let them camp the backfield.

x9 Thallax and 20 Thralls is a really solid core for Ad Mech. Consider only getting x6 Thallax and grabbing a Castellax or 2 though.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

ANAmal.net posted:

Hello friends,

I played a couple of 1k games against ShadowDaishi last weekend, and I took some pictures. Mostly I wanted to try out a more mobile Ravenwing list, instead of my usual footsloggers. The game was noteworthy for being the first and to date only time I have played Warhammer 40,000 and not ended up smashed on beers halfway through. Ha ha. In many ways, it was like playing for the first time, since I wasn't just rolling dice and waiting for TheChirurgeon to tell me if the roll passed or not.

I uploaded some pictures but they came out really small for some reason. Deal with it.

Good lookin table! Can't wait to put it through the paces this week.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

twistedmentat posted:

Whoa, I love the overlay you have on the table. Is it something you got online or had custom made?

It's made by frontlinegaming. I've got the same gaming mat. It looks and plays great.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

twistedmentat posted:

Whoa, I love the overlay you have on the table. Is it something you got online or had custom made?

http://www.frontlinegaming.org/product-category/gaming-mats/

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

BULBASAUR posted:

Thralls are worse than guardsmen. You want to give them the rite of pure thought and that's probably it. Keep them cheap as chips and let them camp the backfield.

x9 Thallax and 20 Thralls is a really solid core for Ad Mech. Consider only getting x6 Thallax and grabbing a Castellax or 2 though.

That was my thought on Thralls. Anything that gets the the wood chipper of 9 Thallax gets mopped up by the Thralls if they try to move up. I wasn't sure w/r/t Castellax but I figured at low points the added mobility would be more important and Thallax are still pretty tough.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

WhiteWolf123 posted:

It's made by frontlinegaming. I've got the same gaming mat. It looks and plays great.

Yeah, I have the grassy plains one myself and am very happy with it. I know people who have the city one and the tundra one and we use them all the time.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

TheChirurgeon posted:

Good lookin table! Can't wait to put it through the paces this week.

Thanks! I gave the buildings a quick prime black and a light dusting of gray krylon something or other, since last time you were here, to break up the grey primer cityscape. It's still pretty minimal-effort, but it gives the impression of half-assed quality, for quarter-assed effort, and that's about as far as I'm willing to go in this hobby or life in general.

That's the one, specifically the 6x4 Urban Combat. I like it because a) I didn't have to build and paint a whole table worth of "the ground", and b) the roads are 12" out from the long edges, and 24" from the short ones, so I don't have to measure for deployment zones in either direction.

ANAmal.net fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 30, 2014

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
Just played my third game of 7th edition with a total stranger. My Space Marines (Minotaurs) vs his flying Tyranids. It was a great game, where I only killed one flying monstrous creature and two gant squads. All I had left was two terminators. I won thanks to the Maelstrom mission cards. I really like the mission cards because they provided more inspired choices than shoot x or stand on y at the end of the game. Once I'd gained a lead, I just had to try and stay on the board. It was a fun game, my opponent and I shook hands, talked about some of the cooler moments in the game and parted ways. :unsmith: I think I'm enjoying 40k again.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Went to a tourney today (24 players) and went 3-0 though I didn't win. Still, I got best painted so I was pretty happy about that, I'll post some pics of the army as a whole tomorrow.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Boon posted:

Went to a tourney today (24 players) and went 3-0 though I didn't win. Still, I got best painted so I was pretty happy about that, I'll post some pics of the army as a whole tomorrow.
How'd that work? Tie breakers and points calculated into the total? (We run into that sometimes locally - we get two 3/0 players, and the one who had the most points overall would take first.)

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
24 players in 3 games should leave 3 undefeated players. Can't all be first place.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

ANAmal.net posted:

*pictures*

Man, I need more terrain. This poo poo looks great even unpainted; the designs on those modular City kits are awesome. Also Landspeeders are 100% supercool and now I'm probably going to end up getting 3 for my BA army.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 30, 2014

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

MasterSlowPoke posted:

24 players in 3 games should leave 3 undefeated players. Can't all be first place.

This basically, I didn't get full points on a couple of the missions and got eked out. Also, guys, I just want to let you know that a D-Cannon Battery (3) with a Conceal Warlock and a Farseer is really, really good for 300 points.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Zark the Damned posted:

This is GW we are talking about, but technically as it stands this needs an FAQ. RAI he can take one, RAW he can't.

Noo, gently caress you, I put up with this poo poo for like 10 years and I'm not even entertaining the notion that we are going to have ANOTHER one of these stupid arguments in the new book. Especially since I literally just converted up a loving GORGEOUS tankbusta nob with a powerklaw and a kickass custom grenade launcher yesterday.

I am in NO MOOD.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Ignite Memories posted:

Noo, gently caress you, I put up with this poo poo for like 10 years and I'm not even entertaining the notion that we are going to have ANOTHER one of these stupid arguments in the new book. Especially since I literally just converted up a loving GORGEOUS tankbusta nob with a powerklaw and a kickass custom grenade launcher yesterday.

I am in NO MOOD.

sorry dude, might as well just play Unbound all Masters of Ordnance or some homebrew woman tiger space marines you found on deviant art. You're out of the RAW ZONE now, buddy

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pacheeco posted:

Also Landspeeders are 100% supercool and now I'm probably going to end up getting 3 for my BA army.

Land speeders are great. Typhoons are probably my favorite though. They've got good firepower and long range and can engage just about any target. They can just sit outside of small arms range and can be surprisingly survivable with jink. I've thought about running some assault cannon tornadoes, but I'm not sure if they're worth it in comparison. They'd have to get within bolter range. :ohdear:

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Safety Factor posted:

Land speeders are great. Typhoons are probably my favorite though. They've got good firepower and long range and can engage just about any target. They can just sit outside of small arms range and can be surprisingly survivable with jink. I've thought about running some assault cannon tornadoes, but I'm not sure if they're worth it in comparison. They'd have to get within bolter range. :ohdear:

I'm a huge fan of a full unit of 2x Heavy Bolter Speeders. They are pure anti-infantry but 18 S5 AP4 36" shots, 48" really because they are Fast vehicles, just obliterates infantry units while staying pretty much out of harms way. Plus they are absolutely dirt cheap. I like filling out my Fast Attack with 2 Shooty Baal Predators and a full 2xHB Landspeeder unit and just creating a huge infantry denial area. Now that vehicles score all the time that combo just became that much better. The only problem is I don't have any space for my Multi-Melta Attack Bike unit.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 30, 2014

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Drake_263 posted:

Not without using a poo poo-ton of magnets. The issue is that in addition to the launcher rack being built in an entirely different confguration (Manticore has the targeting sensor thing in the middle, plus one short rack on either side, DS has no targeting thingy and a single double-length rack) the Deathstrike missile itself actually uses some of the parts for the Storm Eagle rockets as the secondary boosters. I suppose it COULD be done, but honestly just the sheer amount of fiddly effort involved makes it very much not worth it - besides magnetizing the rack into a modular configuration you'd need to basically make the storm eagle rockets split into neat halves to build the deathstrike missile.

I've done it and it's very simple if you buy duplicates of the bits that are used in both kits. Specifically you'll need the two missile rack pieces and four missile outer-halves (the halves that don't have slots in them). Mind you it might be hard to find just these particular bits considering their importance, but I was able to do so so keep your eyes peeled and check bitz stores.

With these you can build both types of missile racks, a complete deathstrike missile and four complete storm eagle rockets, and use a handful of magnets to swap between what you need.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Rich person isn't rich enough to pay plebes to paint his minis for him. Get hosed, poor person ANAmal.net (nice batrep, though).

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

AgentF posted:

I've done it and it's very simple if you buy duplicates of the bits that are used in both kits. Specifically you'll need the two missile rack pieces and four missile outer-halves (the halves that don't have slots in them). Mind you it might be hard to find just these particular bits considering their importance, but I was able to do so so keep your eyes peeled and check bitz stores.

With these you can build both types of missile racks, a complete deathstrike missile and four complete storm eagle rockets, and use a handful of magnets to swap between what you need.

Well sure, if you want to go the easy route and buy extra bits.. ;)

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
So, glancing through the ork book and I'm thinking of running this at 1750

HQ
Ork warboss - Mega armour, lucky stikk, bosspole, Cybork - 135
Big Mek SAG Eavy Armour cybork 2 x ammo runt - 100

Troops
20 ork shoota boyz - nob with bp and pk - 174
20 ork shoota boyz - nob with bp and pk - 174
10 ork shoota boyz - nob with bp and pk - 114

Elites
4 x Meganobz BP - 165
trukk - 30

Fast
Dakkajet + extra gun - 130
5 koptas rokkits - 150
9 bikes pk boss pole 202

Heavy
lootas x 8 112
lootas x 8 112
kanz with rokkits x 3 150

total 1748

I know some of it's not ideal (kanz) but apart from the bikes and koptas it's what I own that is painted. thoughts? what do you think I should have on my painting table next (probably more boyz)

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I think your MANZ trukk has a giant 'shoot me' sign painted on it, but I get that it's what you have painted so give it a go.

If I were playing you I'd probably give you a turn's grace before shooting the trukk, for a chance of the hilarity of the MANZ getting into combat.

But then, I'm a fellow ork player at heart.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

ineptmule posted:

I think your MANZ trukk has a giant 'shoot me' sign painted on it, but I get that it's what you have painted so give it a go.

If I were playing you I'd probably give you a turn's grace before shooting the trukk, for a chance of the hilarity of the MANZ getting into combat.

But then, I'm a fellow ork player at heart.

I figure if I can grab the first turn the trukk can skoot flat out and it'll be fine to take fire at that point.. if i roll second turn I'll hide it behind the kanz or something.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Yeah, I'm always amazed if any of my trukks reach Turn 2. Their job is to get up in there.

Overall, I think the new codex is petty OK. Nothing amazing, nothing terrible, which is petty standard for Orks, really. I could do with more Heavy Support choices though. fun game: Look at the army photos and count the HSs. Not the 'massive horde' ones, the ons that re supposed to be actual armies.

I'm going to be getting a new big gun kit (and making 1, then converting the others... possibly using those card-guns linked earlier), since my old Grot Artillery worked out quite nicely. They can take the points of my old Kans, and I can fit in the *Orknaught.

A shame my Nob Bikers can't count as troops now. With a painboy too they were hell to shift off objectives. Cybork bodies being NP seems a bit redundant now there's finally actual doc choices, even if they could have done with being 1-3 docs for a slot, like with D. Eldar haemonculi.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Approps of nothing, I think Orks should get a speceial rule that lets them field anyone's vehicle (or Monstrous Creature) as part of their force, because of lootin'.

It'd probably be hilariously unbalanced, but THE NARRATIVE.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Esser-Z posted:

Approps of nothing, I think Orks should get a speceial rule that lets them field anyone's vehicle (or Monstrous Creature) as part of their force, because of lootin'.

This rule is called Unbound. :geno:

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN
I think if I do a Warboss/Nob squad the Warboss will be getting the Lucky Stixx instead of the relic bike.

Has anything else been leaked from the Ghazzy thing besides the super relics?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Power Player posted:

I think if I do a Warboss/Nob squad the Warboss will be getting the Lucky Stixx instead of the relic bike.

Most/all of the other supplements are only the super relics, plus maybe one or two other rules. That's all, so I wouldn't expect any more from the Ork one.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Power Player posted:

Supplement: Waaagh! Ghazghkull
Special rules

- Warlord must always issue and accept challenges.
- If your warlord kills a character in challenge, he rerolls to wound for the rest of the game.
- +2 to mob rule result, but causes d3+3 rather than d6 hits.

Warlord Traits

1. Supa-Shootist: Warlord has increased BS
2. Waaagh! Mongerer: Warlord's unit has crusader
3. Madboy: Warlord has the Rage USR
4. Kunnin' Plan: Warlord and his unit gain outflank
5. Kalling in a Favour: One of the warlord's weapons becomes master-crafted. Can't be a relic.
6. Dead 'ard: Warlord gains FNP

Relics

- Choppa of da Ragnarork: Big choppa that gets +1S -1AP at end of turn if it caused a casualty.
- Big Bosspole: Fearless
- Da Supa-Cybork: FNP, EW, Relentless
- Da Killa-Klaw: PK, can chose to trade all attacks for 1 Attack with the instant death special rule
- Mega Force Field: 4++ KFF
- Killa-Dakka: Random weapon, decide before game. Can be Deff Gun, Skorcha, Supa-Shoota, Zzap Gun, Grotzooka or Bubblechucka

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Esser-Z posted:

Orks had a restricted version of this rule in 3rd. I'm guessing hat since they haven't since is a sign on how it is for balancxe.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
Played a tournament this weekend. So I got four games in. Lost three and won once. I should have had a second win, but I was too cocky with a deepstrike mishap. I placed a unit of GK Paladins with Draigo in range for FRFSRF, a plasma-cutioner, and was planning on sealing the deal with a basilisk shell and a manticore barrage. This was turn two, and I had already killed a strike squad - leaving him with only a vindicare, these terminators that I had placed in range of all my shooting, and a another strike squad hiding behind an LoS blocking building.

Well, don't you know the vindicare goes and shakes my plasma tank so I can't fire templates. I widdle a bunch of the terminators down to one wound and am feeling pretty confident I'll just get them next turn.

His following turn and every subsequent one after that he gets invisibility off on his paladins.

...welp.

So I snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, and a lesson was learned. I didn't expect to win anything, I had only played two games of 7th up to that point and had never been a very competitive or competent general. I had fun, and I'd do it again though because four 40K games in one day was really fun. Just gotta step my game up.

Low lights include some of the younger and goonier players using the expressions, "rape face" and "anally raped" all the damned morning. I think they cut it out in the afternoon because I was visibly cringing every single time.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I thought ard boys in a trukk weren't bad for a unit kept in reserve then launched onto the board to coincide with a waagh. The reach they have is considerable and reserve means they don't get shot up until they slam into something and beat it up.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Esser-Z posted:

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Orks had a restricted version of this rule in 3rd. I'm guessing hat since they haven't since is a sign on how it is for balancxe.

Lootas could, in fact, loot heavy weapons from other Codexes, as well, with the downside that any roll of 1 on a to-hit hit one of the other Orks in the squad because, well, Orks.

I'm told one of the most popular Loota configurations was a bunch of Lootas with all plasma cannons - since a to-hit of 1 also triggered Gets Hot! you tended to end up with a hilarious squad that'd poo poo plasma blasts left and right for a bit before immolating itself in a giant blue mushroom cloud.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Esser-Z posted:

So many of my friends just assume this is how it works I was wondering about just making a house rule about it a la:

Looted Wagon Profle:

-1 armor to all sides
BS2
Don't Press Dat!
Maybe requires a mek?

Also: visibly cringing at "rape" is I think a fantastic way to communicate to the socially-challenged that such poo poo doesn't fly in public, or anywhere else, really. Nonverbal communication is always more effective than verbal, especially at expressing disgust.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Hey, the wife is looking for a way to convert a Sammael riding his boss-rear end 14AV Land Speeder. Any conversion suggestions or examples? Not exactly looking to spend $30 on the LS then like $40 on the duder.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
BOLS just had a article that there may not in fact be anymore GamesDays, ever. :( I've never gotten to go to a Gamesday.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Hey, the wife is looking for a way to convert a Sammael riding his boss-rear end 14AV Land Speeder. Any conversion suggestions or examples? Not exactly looking to spend $30 on the LS then like $40 on the duder.

I think the Ravenwing conversion kit thing has enough poo poo to make it convincingly.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I think the Ravenwing conversion kit thing has enough poo poo to make it convincingly.

Yeah, the Dark Angels conversion sprue comes with a bunch of extra gubbins you can put on a Land Speeder, including several heavy bolters and assault cannons that make it pretty easy to make the conversion. I bought one of those Ravenwing battleforce kits that comes with like.. what, six bikes, an attack bike and a land speeder, plus three of those conversion sprues. Downside is that the speeder in that kit is one of the old sprues that's more annoying to put together than the 'modern' one - plus it only comes with the heavy bolter and multimelta. The conversion sprue has the extra guns on it, except the heavy flamer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyarlothotep
Apr 14, 2007
Don't fail to see Nyarlathotep if he comes to Providence. He is horrible — horrible beyond anything you can imagine — but wonderful. He haunts one for hours afterward. I am still shuddering at what he showed.
Looks like a new battlebox is coming out next week?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9j98esnpuM

• Locked thread