Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Because that guy is probably going to get promoted before you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I've known someone for years, and this person has been in IT for maybe 6 months less than I, but that person has still not figured out how IT works. Why is this pissing me off so much? This person is just sitting back, doing a decent but unspectacular job at work, thinking that they're going to be singled out and promoted up the chain. Of course they are still on the helpdesk, still convinced that they're going to be promoted any day now. Never any work on certifications, never studying after hours or on the weekend, just 40 hours of work then head home to watch TV (they're single, so this isn't a "family is more important than work" thing). This person is not me, so why does it bother me so much?

It actually annoys me that IT is the one field where all responsibility for professional development is put on the worker.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

guppy posted:

It actually annoys me that IT is the one field where all responsibility for professional development is put on the worker.

It's a bum deal, but everyone on this forum and everyone else I work with realizes it, so how can one person just walk around thinking "management cares about me and will demonstrate this with more money"? It's shocking to me.

e: I mean, to give more context, this person has a bit of a money shortage happening, and I'm like, the obvious solution to this is to buckle down, knock out maybe a Net+ or a MCSA, and climb the ladder by bouncing between a few companies for a few years. But they're like, nah I'll just ride this out.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
We all know people like that. I made every effort to help a guy out of a bad situation a few months back. I told him to get his Sec+, at minimum, lined up. As we all know it takes even a neophyte three weeks to study for that cert and pass it. I'm still waiting six months later. He apparently doesn't think his situation is that bad.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

goon_in_a_well.txt

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Caged posted:

goon_in_a_well.txt

Instead of working on my certs I'm going to focus on my ticket stats.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Alereon posted:

Hey guys how about we don't compete for who can make posts that most resemble what would be found in the Daily Mail?

Man way to kill it before I even got warmed up :downs:

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I've known someone for years, and this person has been in IT for maybe 6 months less than I, but that person has still not figured out how IT works. Why is this pissing me off so much? This person is just sitting back, doing a decent but unspectacular job at work, thinking that they're going to be singled out and promoted up the chain. Of course they are still on the helpdesk, still convinced that they're going to be promoted any day now. Never any work on certifications, never studying after hours or on the weekend, just 40 hours of work then head home to watch TV (they're single, so this isn't a "family is more important than work" thing). This person is not me, so why does it bother me so much?

Maybe it bothers you because its annoying to see potential that isn't being realised, that annoys me.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

guppy posted:

Yea, what is even worse about it is a ton of training beyond entry level stuff is insanely expensive. Since I know work will never pay for a SANS course for anyone but 1-2 specific people, I'm out ever getting that. Coworker wants to take the VCP, keeps getting stonewalled.

However we did manage to send some managers across country for a vendor "training" thing that somehow involves going to a NFL game.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

CitizenKain posted:

However we did manage to send some managers across country for a vendor "training" thing that somehow involves going to a NFL game.
I have a similar story which is too long, too winding, and too whiny to share, suffice to say: yep. :(

dogstile posted:

Maybe it bothers you because its annoying to see potential that isn't being realised, that annoys me.
I think I am going to walk away from it. I got two messages from them today - one was that they noticed something in a 20 year old movie, the other was about something they noticed in an old Seinfeld episode. I casually mentioned hey maybe there's better things you could be doing, and they took it poorly. Boohoo.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

guppy posted:

If you train the IT people they'll just take those skills and get a new job!

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

Inspector_666 posted:

The sad thing is, it's true. But it wouldn't be if IT weren't treated like second class citizens in most workplaces.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

CitizenKain posted:

Yea, what is even worse about it is a ton of training beyond entry level stuff is insanely expensive. Since I know work will never pay for a SANS course for anyone but 1-2 specific people, I'm out ever getting that. Coworker wants to take the VCP, keeps getting stonewalled.
My new place gives everyone in my department/team/whatever we are two SANS courses per year plus a conference (Blackhat and Defcon are popular choices). Course/travel/lodging/food/whatever else paid for. Also the cert test if you want it. :smug: Of course, we're the exception as no other IT areas get any expensive training anymore so who knows how long we'll get special treatment.

My team gets treated pretty well overall and as a result we work hard and get poo poo done. The other IT groups don't get treated all that well and don't really give a poo poo if things get done right or at all. I'm sure those two things are unrelated.

Galler fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 30, 2014

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Finally got windows 7 pushed to my work desktop as part of the glacially slow rollout, first thing I notice is that cleartype is not enabled in the build so everything looks like garbage :suicide:

On the other hand I am genuinely excited about having Visio 2010 which is probably the most tragic statement of my life.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm actually talking to PD folks about this stuff at the moment. I don't know how everyone else feels, but my take is this: people want to advance their careers. They don't like disruptions to their lives if they don't have to have them. So if you give them professional development and a path for advancement in a reasonable timeframe, they will want to stay.

If you give them PD and no way to advance, they will use their new skills to leave. If you give them no PD, they will get fed up and leave.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Galler posted:

My team gets treated pretty well overall and as a result we work hard and get poo poo done. The other IT groups don't get treated all that well and don't really give a poo poo if things get done right or at all. I'm sure those two things are unrelated.

110% unrelated. You can totally pay whatever you want and get top notch IT support services! You just need to make sure you collect and manage via the appropriate metrics! And everyone knows tickets closed per day is the most effective way to determine if those shifty lazy bums in IT are doing anything at all each day.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

110% unrelated. You can totally pay whatever you want and get top notch IT support services! You just need to make sure you collect and manage via the appropriate metrics! And everyone knows tickets closed per day is the most effective way to determine if those shifty lazy bums in IT are doing anything at all each day.

Exactly how it is! After all, if the big "resolved ticket" number is less than the arbitary number you've come up with as a support goal (or was the average number of tickets closed when said manager was doing helpdesk work 7 years ago, despite the program having received 7 years of features/patches since then) than that engineer must be underperforming!

Hell, if the entire group, even the best engineers who have been there for years are under your number and are averaging less tickets a day, that means they're all just lazy! No point walking in during the day and seeing how they work, those numbers on the screen tell you everything you need to know!

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

dogstile posted:

Hell, if the entire group, even the best engineers who have been there for years are under your number and are averaging less tickets a day, that means they're all just lazy! No point walking in during the day and seeing how they work, those numbers on the screen tell you everything you need to know!

Walk in? What, and leave the grand management citadel that is the C suite floors? I bet you expect me to use a non-executive bathroom too? I have a perfectly good system for denying raises and reducing company costs right here at my solid mahogany desk. If they fail to meet my metrics, then obviously we need to outsource this to a firm that can meet our demands for total quality improvement. A good friend of mine at the country club is on the board of a great BPOs firm, and he says we can get the same service from Indian engineers for less than 10k a year! What savings! My bonus this year is gonna be huge once we roll this out.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

CitizenKain posted:

CitizenKain, I just happened across your tales of BYOD fun and wondered what you ended up doing about your work phone.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Finally got windows 7 pushed to my work desktop as part of the glacially slow rollout, first thing I notice is that cleartype is not enabled in the build so everything looks like garbage :suicide:

On the other hand I am genuinely excited about having Visio 2010 which is probably the most tragic statement of my life.
Funny part is that ClearType is on by default in Windows 7. During the build process somebody, probably a manager, turned it off.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Exchange is the poo poo that's pissing me off.

After Friday evenings power fuckery (long story short, gently caress PAINTERS!!!) the exchange server is not responding and transport mail services are not working and the datatore services crash after a grand total of 5 seconds runtime. Currently working on restoring it and all the other servers that were shutdown less than gracefully spastically failing. Apparently the power outage also ate the configs on our VPN server requiring me to come in yesterday and get it back up and running whilst also allowing the Sysadmin to remote in from the rear end end of nowhere. Today is already sucking

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I just stayed up all night restoring pretty much all of a test environment because it turns out that we were running on snapshots and none of us noticed, so the VHDs (Hyper-V in this test environment) ballooneed up and used up all the freespace. Good times. As a sys admin, that's my fault whether I clicked snapshot or not. I honestly can not believe no one noticed that until it blew up in our faces.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I just stayed up all night restoring pretty much all of a test environment because it turns out that we were running on snapshots and none of us noticed, so the VHDs (Hyper-V in this test environment) ballooneed up and used up all the freespace. Good times. As a sys admin, that's my fault whether I clicked snapshot or not. I honestly can not believe no one noticed that until it blew up in our faces.

I feel like this is actually a pretty regular occurrence for places that use a lot of virtualized stuff. Well, I mean it happens once, everybody slaps themselves on the forehead and then it shouldn't happen again.

You're far from the first person to post this story, and I doubt you'll be the last.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Inspector_666 posted:

I feel like this is actually a pretty regular occurrence for places that use a lot of virtualized stuff. Well, I mean it happens once, everybody slaps themselves on the forehead and then it shouldn't happen again.

You're far from the first person to post this story, and I doubt you'll be the last.
Yeah I've caught it once or twice, but each time it was well before it became an issue. I've even had to give the "snapshots are not backups" lecture. But I've never had it just completely ruin an environment - monitoring is pretty lax because it's test, but the 10k or so emails to my "test" subfolder tipped me off, as half of the services complained about being unable to hit the other half. Oy.

It's 9:41am, uh, guess I'll go to bed?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
YOTJ! :toot:

My current boss helped me get in touch with a few of his fellow co-workers at a gigantic tech company in the Valley. They have a memory testing application that runs on dos that they are replacing in a few months with Linux, and they need a guy who can has experience with traversing the Linux kernel source and writing drivers/custom IOCTLs.

It's only for 200 hours to start, but in the meantime I am going to contract with my current boss and he has work for me to do after I am done with my short term stint at gigantic company. Pay is increased by 120%, but the commute time increases from 10 minutes on a main road to 45 minutes on main roads and a freeway at the new company. I think I can deal with it.

When I come back to my current job pay is going to increase 60% over my current salary.

Good Monday so far!

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

It bothers you because any IT person who isn't poo poo at their job has a complex about doing things the right way and getting poo poo fixed properly. This extends to people as well, which is why it drives us up the wall when a user sends us a screenshot that was pasted into Word and printed and scanned to PDF. If the end result is readable, who cares? We all do, because it's non-optimal and that's just how it works.

Basically, you have the human equivalent of a spotty PSU sitting next to you and that's why it's making you crazy. The best advice is try not to care; you can fix machines but you can't fix people.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Weatherman posted:

CitizenKain, I just happened across your tales of BYOD fun and wondered what you ended up doing about your work phone.

Company made a decision that we get 2 options:
1. Take calls on our personal phone for $40 a month, or calls and emails for $50.
2. Get a StraightTalk plan, get $50 a month for the service, but the company will only cover up to $20 on actually buying a phone. For a fun time, look at what phones are for sale on StraightTalk's plan for under $20 dollars.

The only good news is someone up top managed to figure out a way automatically credit people's account instead of us filling out a expense reimbursement every month, and then waiting 2 weeks for the money to show up.
I realized that I can't really fight this, the decision was made before it ever got to us, the biggest supporters of it are all people in my management line.

Now we just have to hope the BYOD laptop thing doesn't happen.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

CitizenKain posted:

Now we just have to hope the BYOD laptop thing doesn't happen.

There is no way that giving people no money at all to go and buy a Best Buy shitbox will result in a bunch of Windows 8 non-Pro machines appearing and being wholly unsuitable for any sort of actual work.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Caged posted:

There is no way that giving people no money at all to go and buy a Best Buy shitbox will result in a bunch of Windows 8 non-Pro machines appearing and being wholly unsuitable for any sort of actual work.

I think it would be restricted to IT only. People seem to think Citrix is the answer for everything, so the actual machine doesn't matter.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

When I come back to my current job pay is going to increase 60% over my current salary.

My suggestion is that you make as many contacts as possible during that brief engagement and either find a way to stay on full time or get an even better paying job with yet someone else. What I'm basically saying is don't go back to your current gig.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

stubblyhead posted:

My suggestion is that you make as many contacts as possible during that brief engagement and either find a way to stay on full time or get an even better paying job with yet someone else. What I'm basically saying is don't go back to your current gig.

Oh I don't plan to if I can find another job in the meantime, but money is money and my family has got to eat. :smith:

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

CitizenKain posted:

For a fun time, look at what phones are for sale on StraightTalk's plan for under $20 dollars.

You should spring the extra $20 and pick up this bad boy.

Fixed link because StraightTalk has a lovely website.

Big Button Flip Phone
    3G Connectivity
    One Touch My Phone Number Button
    2.4" TFT Display
    2 MP Camera
    Mobile Web
    Text and Picture Messaging
    Large Lighted Keys
    Bluetooth® 2.1 Wireless Technology
    MP3 Player (not included)
    FM Radio
    External Caller ID
    Hands-Free Speaker
    Supports microSD™ Card up to 32GB (not included)
    Voice & Sound Recorder
    Hearing Aid Compatible (HAC) Rating: M4/T3
    Phone Book with up to 1,000 Entries
    Battery Talk Time up to 3 hours
    Standby Time up to 10 days
    Includes Battery, Charger, Activation Card and Services Guide

Look at those pro features

Laphroaig fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 30, 2014

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

PLEASE GOD GET A JITTERBUG ONETOUCH.

It has three buttons. Operator, Tow, and 911.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
I can still text faster on those phones than I can on an iPhone :v:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Laphroaig posted:

You should spring the extra $20 and pick up this bad boy.

That's a TracFone. I only see one $20 Straight Talk phone.

CitizenKain posted:

For a fun time, look at what phones are for sale on StraightTalk's plan for under $20 dollars.

I did last week while looking for a cheap "phone" to use for gps tracking (strava) and navigation while mounted to bike handlebars.

You may as well pitch in the $10 and get the only one running KitKat.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Roargasm posted:

I can still text faster on those phones than I can on an iPhone :v:

A couple weeks ago I was digging around in a wardrobe and found my old Sony Ericsson, for shits and giggles I tried to turn it on and the little blighter had a silver of power left in it; I haven't used that phone in something like 6 years.

Also it's funny but getting kinda freakishly predictable that literally every time I'm away from the office, all hell breaks loose and poo poo gets hosed up.

I booked this Monday off to have a three day weekend with my wife for our wedding anniversary, then 9:00am rolls around with us waking up in the posh hotel room and I get a SMS from my colleague/friend; The main printer won't work at all and needs a waste toner cartridge. Well can't do poo poo about that, no client print jobs today since someone will have to order and wait another day for delivery. Tell her to get remote support to configure peoples machines to use the Telesales printer instead, and to tell people not give her poo poo about computer things not working.

Remote into the terminal server to have a peep at E-mails later in the day, shitstorm of generous proportions since the big shot new client of 4000 employees just went live (we're an employment law advice firm, good thing I adapted the massive records file they sent to our CRM on Friday).

And the cherry on the cake, apparently the power went out to the office and a few other blocks of the tower; Hope the UPS has a good battery, because gently caress if I know. Kinda ironic since I've been asked to piece together a business continuity plan for all the tech.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

guppy posted:

I'm actually talking to PD folks about this stuff at the moment. I don't know how everyone else feels, but my take is this: people want to advance their careers. They don't like disruptions to their lives if they don't have to have them. So if you give them professional development and a path for advancement in a reasonable timeframe, they will want to stay.

If you give them PD and no way to advance, they will use their new skills to leave. If you give them no PD, they will get fed up and leave.

This seems obvious to me, and it boils down to, "Treat your employer/employee relationship like a mutually beneficial partnership wherein they help you advance your business and you help them advance their career. Show loyalty to the employee and he will return it."

But in this scenario, that costs money in the short term. Since it's cheaper to treat your employees like a disposable resource that you can strip mine, your quarterly reports look better, you as a manager gets a bigger bonus and stock options, and when the company loses all its customer loyalty because it cranks out middling-to-poo poo products, you don't give a poo poo and cash out, moving on to the next company to do it all over again.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
End of day fuckery notes, exchange back up, McAfee mail scanner decided to commit suicide upon the gears of a full restore to ensure that the odious machine of the exchange server stayed down. Awesome!

Working with Microsoft to clear the blockage and uninstall McAffe caused it murder the spam filter in its death throes. Brilliant!

The combined weight of their corpses mutually prevent reinstallation and uninstalation Wow!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

End of day fuckery notes, exchange back up, McAfee mail scanner decided to commit suicide upon the gears of a full restore to ensure that the odious machine of the exchange server stayed down. Awesome!

Working with Microsoft to clear the blockage and uninstall McAffe caused it murder the spam filter in its death throes. Brilliant!

The combined weight of their corpses mutually prevent reinstallation and uninstalation Wow!

Dear God why did you have McAfee prodcuts within 100 meters of a server environment?

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Che Delilas posted:

Dear God why did you have McAfee prodcuts within 100 meters of a server environment?

Management gotta manage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Che Delilas posted:

Ask me about our 30 Server 2003 Citrix app servers all running McAfee. Go on, ask me :unsmigghh: