Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Man, these past few episodes have been amazing. Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I'm really enjoying this show!

Dalton/Green interactions are so much fun - you just know they're having a different conversation to the one we think they're having due to all the history.

dorian feels like the weakest part of the show to me - it feels like he is just being used as a device for chaos.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Kazanir posted:

It was a pendant of St. Jude, patron saint of the hopeless and of lost causes. His Latin incantation basically amounts to saying, "Saint Jude, blessed apostle, servant of Jesus, ________" (I can't make out the last few words well enough to translate.)

Well also Brona gave it to him, and at that time he was obviously very reluctant to take it from her - I suppose partly because she's about to die of her illness but partly for reasons that are entirely his own.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I'm also a touch confused on Chandler's devil scene. It was just the devil using Chandler's appearance as a disguise, correct?

Yes, and the viewer is also shown pretty bluntly that while Devil Ethan is chatting up Vanessa upstairs, Normal Ethan is sitting downstairs, oblivious.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

WastedJoker posted:

dorian feels like the weakest part of the show to me - it feels like he is just being used as a device for chaos.

I hope they explore more of Dorian in Season 2 if not this season, though I'm content with him remaining a shadowy possible villain. Really, given what/who Dorian Gray is supposed to be, he wouldn't be the kind of guy to go out vampire hunting or monster-making or anything all that action-y. He'd more likely bang it and then take a hit of opium.

I wanna see that portrait.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

nutranurse posted:

I wanna see that portrait.

According to an interview with Reeve Carney the painting exists but he hasn't seen it yet which would mean it's probably coming in season 2

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The recent ep was great, has been waiting for something like this. I wonder if mr Devil really is the same character as Mr Vamp, considering there was two of them... and they don't really seem to have much presence on their own. Mid-boss tier henchmen?

Would seem like a fitting end to season 1 to have them finally kill the head vampire and then whelp, didn't beat/kill the Devil after all. (Assuming here that Mina's odds for survival are fairly low :v:)

Basically, what will be the tie-in to season 2, other than presumably the same cast of "good guys"? Dorian, Caliban and Bronna are the only others, but they serve more as supporting characters for their respective counterpart in the main cast (well Dorian does more). There gotta be more to the baddies, right? I'm positively intrigued by how this can expand :wotwot:

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

Pimpmust posted:

The recent ep was great, has been waiting for something like this. I wonder if mr Devil really is the same character as Mr Vamp, considering there was two of them... and they don't really seem to have much presence on their own. Mid-boss tier henchmen?

Would seem like a fitting end to season 1 to have them finally kill the head vampire and then whelp, didn't beat/kill the Devil after all. (Assuming here that Mina's odds for survival are fairly low :v:)

Basically, what will be the tie-in to season 2, other than presumably the same cast of "good guys"? Dorian, Caliban and Bronna are the only others, but they serve more as supporting characters for their respective counterpart in the main cast (well Dorian does more). There gotta be more to the baddies, right? I'm positively intrigued by how this can expand :wotwot:

They have certainly set up Satan, who is the Devil, as an overarching antagonist. It certainly seems like he is trying to get Dracula (or whatever, representing Amon) to come together with medium/possessed-entity Vanessa (representing Amanuet) to bring about the end of the world, but it seems like other supernatural poo poo could easily be used as a plot driver with the same overarching theme in the next season, even if the vampires are dead.

Meanwhile, didn't the preview for next week show some other probably-werewolves trying to intimidate Ethan? There are a bunch of unresolved plot hooks (Caliban/Brona, Mina Harker if she survives, Dorian doing something with his life, etc.) that will probably play larger roles in a Season 2.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Eh I started watching "300: Rise of an Empire" to get some more Eva Green, but boy do I dislike this fantasy-history-smorgasbord. Maybe I'll check out that Bertolucci-film next, Dreamers, or something. No more abs.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Kazanir posted:

It was a pendant of St. Jude, patron saint of the hopeless and of lost causes. His Latin incantation basically amounts to saying, "Saint Jude, blessed apostle, servant of Jesus, ________" (I can't make out the last few words well enough to translate.)

And it was the same pendant of Brona's that she gave him after he resolved to stick around her despite her worsening disease.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ethan said he believed in everything but God, right? I took his doing the exorcism at the end to indicate that in his last moment of desperation he rediscovered/accepted his faith (I doubt the exorcism would have worked otherwise) or at least his hope - the fact that the pendant was the Patron Saint of Lost Causes just seems to further the idea that this was a last resort on his behalf. His backstory now looks less likely (though not impossible) to be the Wolfman and more like a fallen priest who lost his faith or otherwise was involved in some kind of scandal that forced him to flee America.

The highlight of the episode for me was probably Ethan and Victor goofing around in the basement shooting guns till Momma Sembene came down and told them "Dad" was pissed :allears:

Also I was really hoping that Caliban was going to barrel his way in at some point to try and intimidate or moan at Victor only to realize just how in over his head he actually is.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

Ethan said he believed in everything but God, right? I took his doing the exorcism at the end to indicate that in his last moment of desperation he rediscovered/accepted his faith (I doubt the exorcism would have worked otherwise) or at least his hope - the fact that the pendant was the Patron Saint of Lost Causes just seems to further the idea that this was a last resort on his behalf. His backstory now looks less likely (though not impossible) to be the Wolfman and more like a fallen priest who lost his faith or otherwise was involved in some kind of scandal that forced him to flee America.

The highlight of the episode for me was probably Ethan and Victor goofing around in the basement shooting guns till Momma Sembene came down and told them "Dad" was pissed :allears:

Also I was really hoping that Caliban was going to barrel his way in at some point to try and intimidate or moan at Victor only to realize just how in over his head he actually is.
I was partially hoping that Caliban was not on the street and merely a figment of Victor's drugged-out paranoia and guilt.

But it would have been amazing if Caliban ran in to confront Victor just in time to see Vanessa doing some crazy devil-possessed action. "Uh, I'll talk to you later, Doctor," he says and slowly backs out of the house.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
I don't think the Mina story is going to be resolved next episode. I'm assuming that it continues through next season because we haven't seen the characters (except Frankenstein) learn anything, really, about vampires. I believe we'll see Malcolm and Ethan (and maybe Frankie) go to Egypt to learn more about the weird hieroglyphic markings on the vampire corpse (and perhaps to try to exorcise Vanessa).

Totally think Brona is dying next episode, though.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Mouse Dresser posted:

I don't think the Mina story is going to be resolved next episode.

All the more reason for the trek to Egypt then.

Mouse Dresser posted:

Totally think Brona is dying next episode, though.

Honestly I can't wait for this, I have no doubt it's going to be awesomely corny and over the top.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
I can't wait for it to happen so that it loving happens already. I want to enjoy this show but it's such a slow burn for a short season. It seems like they use any excuse they can to pad out the episode.

I may be the minority opinion, but man, this show needs to get on with it already.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Flesh Forge posted:

Honestly I can't wait for this, I have no doubt it's going to be awesomely corny and over the top.

I hope the closing shot is Frankie starting the process with dead Brona on the slab and Caliban standing there all

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Mouse Dresser posted:

I hope the closing shot is Frankie starting the process with dead Brona on the slab and Caliban standing there all

And then he rips her in half when he finds out the horrible put-on Irish accent survived the process.

"I MUST BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND HER, DEMON!"

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

BIG HEADLINE posted:

And then he rips her in half when he finds out the horrible put-on Irish accent survived the process.

AHAHAHAHA

This, this, a million times this.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

hahahaha oh my god, please let this happen.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Jerusalem posted:

Friendzonestein.

Mods change my name to this, tia.

Eva Green is so so so good in this. I just binged through all seven episodes and I'll be sad if there's only one more episode this season. Tim Dalton is also pretty good but a bit more understated. Also I was iffy on Josh Hartnett until his devil scene.

Anyway I want more.

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

Skeesix posted:

Mods change my name to this, tia.

Eva Green is so so so good in this. I just binged through all seven episodes and I'll be sad if there's only one more episode this season. Tim Dalton is also pretty good but a bit more understated. Also I was iffy on Josh Hartnett until his devil scene.

Anyway I want more.

Honestly I think the show's biggest flaw is that the writing didn't give Hartnett enough to do / work with. His scenes with Brona are decent and the scene with the wolves was good, but his arguing with the rest of the cast about how they are behaving always felt forced and not like real tension. (I observe in light of the exorcism that he was always the one saying, "This is not right," when they did questionable or brutal stuff.) He really sold the hell out of both the devil and the exorcism scenes though. There was no :tviv: big enough for the feeling when he is just talking to her about Heaven and Hell and suddenly goes, "you might say it's where I was flung when your loving oval office OF A GOD CAST ME OUT!"

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Finally had time to watch the latest. I love this show. The deployment of weapons-grade Romantic poetry would be enough, but the rest of it is just so perfect.

:swoon:

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Kazanir posted:

Honestly I think the show's biggest flaw is that the writing didn't give Hartnett enough to do / work with. His scenes with Brona are decent and the scene with the wolves was good, but his arguing with the rest of the cast about how they are behaving always felt forced and not like real tension. (I observe in light of the exorcism that he was always the one saying, "This is not right," when they did questionable or brutal stuff.) He really sold the hell out of both the devil and the exorcism scenes though. There was no :tviv: big enough for the feeling when he is just talking to her about Heaven and Hell and suddenly goes, "you might say it's where I was flung when your loving oval office OF A GOD CAST ME OUT!"

I think the worst has been his scenes as himself with and about Vanessa. What is she to him? Why should we believe that he cares so much about her?

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Skeesix posted:

I think the worst has been his scenes as himself with and about Vanessa. What is she to him? Why should we believe that he cares so much about her?

I think Ethan is just one of those old fashioned, chivalric guys. Remember that Vanessa is the one who approached him to join the group and she charmed him at that pub, so she was the one he trusted enough from the beginning. I think he's just protective of her in the same way he's protective of Brona.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Mouse Dresser posted:

I think Ethan is just one of those old fashioned, chivalric guys. Remember that Vanessa is the one who approached him to join the group and she charmed him at that pub, so she was the one he trusted enough from the beginning. I think he's just protective of her in the same way he's protective of Brona.

Yeah but he's more protective of her than brona!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Skeesix posted:

Yeah but he's more protective of her than brona!

Brona's not possessed by the devil, just TB.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

nutranurse posted:

Brona's not possessed by the devil, just TB.

Seriously, Vanessa's whole hosed-up situation has to inspire a ton of sympathy and empathy from him if even half of the theories & conjecture about his own situation and backstory are true.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I was going to contradict that but y'know, Fates Worse Than Death are actually a big recurring theme in real penny dreadfuls.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Flesh Forge posted:

I was going to contradict that but y'know, Fates Worse Than Death are actually a big recurring theme in real penny dreadfuls.

This! The show has its issues but my god do they stay true to the themes of the source material. Desperation, poverty, death, lust...all the things polite society won't talk about.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well that was cathartic.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Mouse Dresser posted:

This was actually pretty close to how he actually looked.

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

What a great show. Every single one of the denouement scenes was great.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Nailed it.

FINALLY.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It really was :unsmith:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I love the hilarious juxtaposition of Caliban being this horrendous, menacing monster to Frankenstein, and to everyone else he's like the mild-mannered shy dude with a disfigured face that gets poo poo on all the time (because it's his fault).

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
What a shocking twist for totally normal human man Ethan Chandler... said nobody ever.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Sober posted:

I love the hilarious juxtaposition of Caliban being this horrendous, menacing monster to Frankenstein, and to everyone else he's like the mild-mannered shy dude with a disfigured face that gets poo poo on all the time (because it's his fault).

I do have to admit, early on when the hot female lead made the horrible mistake of giving him a pity forehead kiss, I was like, "NO, CALIBAN, THAT WAS A FRIENDLY KISS, DON'T READ INTO IT," and then he had to go and goon himself out. The makeup he used even made him look like a Frankenstein Chris-Chan.

I do think they missed a chance to add in a great line before Ethan changed. Instead of "no, not a monkey," use "you two really chose the wrong night to gently caress with me," then the blood splatter and the pan up to the full moon. I do think it adds a decent plotline - what if Ethan's whole family are werewolves (or given the hoity-toity nature of the show, maybe Loups-Garoux), and that's why his father wants him back?

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jun 30, 2014

w00tuberjedi
Jul 3, 2007

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away...

The most uber of the Jedi
What a god drat excellent show. Ethan's reveal was pretty obvious but man if it wasn't satisfying. I'm curious to see what literary figures make it into season 2. Maybe Jekyll and Hyde.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

w00tuberjedi posted:

Maybe Jekyll and Hyde.

Given the amount of poo poo Frankenstein carries around with him, he's basically two-in-one in this regard. "One pill makes you laaaaarger, and one pill makes you smaaaaaullll..."

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Calico Noose posted:

What a shocking twist for totally normal human man Ethan Chandler... said nobody ever.

To be fair, the thought hadn't crossed my mind the whole season, but it made perfect sense once it started happening. I may have squealed over a mancrush.

This show is so great. Yes, it can be a little uneven in its pacing, but drat if it doesn't know exactly what it is and tries to milk that for everything it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

I enjoy weed references in all the media I consume so when the Lupine-American and Satan lady toked I was all :swoon:.

This show has grown on me since I started watching. At first I thought it wasn't going anywhere especially with all the boring Dorian scenes until I realized he's originally a character from The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. It's pretty good if you like movies. I won't spoil anything but trust me it's going to be crazy.:psyboom:

• Locked thread