Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Nurge posted:

It's really really terrible. Essentially just the games go on forever and ever and ever and the ruleset is even more boring than a majority of Zen's fare. If you want good PFX2 tables Mars and Fear Itself are probably the best. Some of the newer tables are kind of ok too, but those are my personal favourites for cool rulesets and balanced scoring.

That's unfortunate to hear. I already have Mars and Fear Itself, I believe. At least TPA's season 1 was 25% off. I love Attack from Mars soooo much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

mattfl posted:

Busy weekend!

It keeps looking better and better. Great job!

I'm hoping you switch gears and recreate Bill Paxton Pinball, though.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Chinook posted:

Thanks!

Not gonna happen lol.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
Asked this in the Steam summersale topic, but no reply;

What are the best Pinball FX-2 tables?

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Grawl posted:

My personal favorites are Paranormal and Mars. The Marvel Avengers pack has the Hulk table, which I think is great.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Grawl posted:

There honestly aren't too many bad ones. Personal favorites of mine are Deadpool, Fantastic Four, and all the Star Wars ones.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Grawl posted:

I have them all, and played the poo poo out of the m all, on PS3. The ones I rebought for iPad are Hulk, Epic Quest, and Super League Football. So I'd recommend those three. I've seen some hate for Epic Quest, though.

Hulk is really good.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

mattfl posted:

Busy weekend!

So remember the coin door I bought?

It looked like crap, a few hours and a dremel with a wire wheel and we now have a nice fresh coin door! I'll get some kinda of sticker to put on it to break up the black a little. It's a really early midway door so maybe I can find a nice midway sticker.

Were you looking for that specific coin door? Just curious since most people end up buying new coin doors rather than refurbing old ones.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Grawl posted:

I like Mars and Spider-Man. I don't understand Biolab, but I seem to have fun playing it once in a while. Fantastic Four and Captain America are pretty good. There are a few interesting Marvel tables (not Civil War), but also some real turds (not a fan of Iron Man or Thor).

I want to love Doctor Strange, but it's got that thing where the characters on the sides float over the fuckin' table while you're playing. :argh:

I hate Boba Fett and Masters of the Force, but I like the ones that are based on actual movies, and the Starfighter one. (They've got the sound effects from the original movies, and it does something to my brain that requires me to love it.)

Paranormal is good, although the table feels really cramped and small. V12, I think, is literally impossible to score points on.

And Ms. Splosion Man seems to be screaming "it's for girls" so hard it's kinda creepy.

prefect fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 30, 2014

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Were you looking for that specific coin door? Just curious since most people end up buying new coin doors rather than refurbing old ones.

Was really just looking for a good deal. A new door was gonna cost me anywhere from $75-160, this one cost me $9 and a few hours today cleaning it up and painting it. While I would have loved a new door, the money saved will be used on other more important things.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

mattfl posted:

Was really just looking for a good deal. A new door was gonna cost me anywhere from $75-160, this one cost me $9 and a few hours today cleaning it up and painting it. While I would have loved a new door, the money saved will be used on other more important things.

Fair enough. Is it a working door with the mechs and everything?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Fair enough. Is it a working door with the mechs and everything?

Yup!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

prefect posted:

V12, I think, is literally impossible to score points on.

And Ms. Splosion Man seems to be screaming "it's for girls" so hard it's kinda creepy.

Took me a while to "get" V12, but it is a pretty hard table and can be frustrating. Rewards smart play.

Love Ms Splosion Man, and it's possibly the easiest table Zen makes. For some reason the voice-overs don't make me angry, and they really should. Lots of pink, but also lots of points and extra balls.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

loving ace! For $9, steal of the pinball century.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

loving ace! For $9, steal of the pinball century.

Ya I couldn't believe it didn't get any bids except for mine. Sure it's an older style coin door but who cares!

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?
I recently started playing Ms. Splosion Man and it's a nice table for beginners I think. You don't have to nudge much, getting to the last mode isn't hard and the rules are fairly simple (with a good amount of multiballs and bonus balls.) My only problem is shooting for a high score seems to really rely on your willingness to play for a long time but I guess you could say that about most tables.

In general I really like Mars (except the drat pyramid ramp, I suck), Epic Quest, and the marvel tables.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Chinook posted:

Ben Heck just sold his, word is that it will be on location in the Twin Cities area.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Joiny posted:

I recently started playing Ms. Splosion Man and it's a nice table for beginners I think. You don't have to nudge much, getting to the last mode isn't hard and the rules are fairly simple (with a good amount of multiballs and bonus balls.) My only problem is shooting for a high score seems to really rely on your willingness to play for a long time but I guess you could say that about most tables.

In general I really like Mars (except the drat pyramid ramp, I suck), Epic Quest, and the marvel tables.

You don't have to nudge at all on any Zen table.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
I went to Vegas this weekend and stopped by the Pinball Hall of Fame, but I really should've gone earlier in the day because I only had about 40 minutes to dick around before they closed. Real pinball is hard, but a lot more fun than the video game version - even as much as I sucked at it. The employees called last game just as I put some quarters into BK2000, and they were singing along with it as they started closing :3:.

Still got a few hours on the Steam sale, debating on whether or not to pull the trigger on one of the seasons. Probably S1.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
My buddies Road Show machine is having an issue that he hasn't been able to solve. He has a few tables and generally knows what he is doing, knows forums to search/ask on, but hasn't figured out this issue. I'm gonna ask here in case anyone has any suggestions.

The right flipper delays coming down for split second after the button is released. It really throws off drop catches and just gets in the way of a good game now and again. You can flick the button and get good quick action, but when you hold the button it just sort of sticks for a second before coming down. Any thoughts?

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Darke GBF posted:

I went to Vegas this weekend and stopped by the Pinball Hall of Fame, but I really should've gone earlier in the day because I only had about 40 minutes to dick around before they closed. Real pinball is hard, but a lot more fun than the video game version - even as much as I sucked at it. The employees called last game just as I put some quarters into BK2000, and they were singing along with it as they started closing :3:.

Still got a few hours on the Steam sale, debating on whether or not to pull the trigger on one of the seasons. Probably S1.

If you get one season definitely get the first one. It has the highest concentration of great tables by a fair margin. S2 only really has pin*bot and centaur that are really stellar I can remember offhand. Probably forgetting about a couple though.

VVVVVVVV
Yeah and Whirlwind was S2 too I guess.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 30, 2014

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah, White Water :colbert:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
And Champion Pub!

Champion Pub/Whirlwind, Centaur/Pin*Bot and White Water/Space Shuttle are the must-have packs from Season 2, everything else is skippable unless you just want passably-good tables to goof around with. The other tables are... "interesting", just not essential.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Table Pack 17 was pretty good. :shrug:

This was the table that finally convinced me to start nudging, because if you don't make it up the left ramp, the ball goes straight down the center drain.

prefect fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 30, 2014

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Jewce posted:

My buddies Road Show machine is having an issue that he hasn't been able to solve. He has a few tables and generally knows what he is doing, knows forums to search/ask on, but hasn't figured out this issue. I'm gonna ask here in case anyone has any suggestions.

The right flipper delays coming down for split second after the button is released. It really throws off drop catches and just gets in the way of a good game now and again. You can flick the button and get good quick action, but when you hold the button it just sort of sticks for a second before coming down. Any thoughts?
Worn coil sleeve, worn flipper bushing, weak return spring, mushroomed coil plunger or a combination of the above.

Unscrew the coil stop and slide the coil off the plunger. Check the plunger and coil stop for mushrooming. Replace the coil sleeve. Remove the return spring and wiggle the flipper to check the bushing. It should move smoothly and without resistance. Replace the return spring with a new one. Both coil stops sleeves and return springs are less than a dollar each, or you can get a complete flipper rebuild kit for both flippers that includes new springs, sleeves, plungers, coil stops, EoS switches etc.

e: I meant sleeves are less than a dollar. The stops aren't expensive either but you don't need to replace that unless it's damaged. Sleeves and springs are practically consumables.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 30, 2014

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Season 2 is way better than people give it credit for in my dumb ol' opinion. Add "Cactus Canyon" to the list of legitimately good tables in it.

There are really only 3 tables in it that I don't enjoy, and another (Goin' Nuts) that's just so drat strange that I don't even care that I don't find it that fun.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Collateral Damage posted:

Worn coil sleeve, worn flipper bushing, weak return spring, mushroomed coil plunger or a combination of the above.

Unscrew the coil stop and slide the coil off the plunger. Check the plunger and coil stop for mushrooming. Replace the coil sleeve. Remove the return spring and wiggle the flipper to check the bushing. It should move smoothly and without resistance. Replace the return spring with a new one. Both coil stops and return springs are less than a dollar each, or you can get a complete flipper rebuild kit for both flippers that includes new springs, sleeves, plungers, coil stops, EoS switches etc.

Sweet, thanks! I'll pass this information on to him and see if we can't get this fixed. Much appreciated!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Tony Phillips posted:

Season 2 is way better than people give it credit for in my dumb ol' opinion. Add "Cactus Canyon" to the list of legitimately good tables in it.

There are really only 3 tables in it that I don't enjoy, and another (Goin' Nuts) that's just so drat strange that I don't even care that I don't find it that fun.

Cue Ball Wizard is surprisingly good, and El Dorado is better than Goin' Nuts.

Boy, looking at the table lists, season 2 seemed to be pretty Gottlieb-heavy. I feel bad picking on them, but drat they really loved putting an emphasis on hard targets. (As opposed to drop-down targets.) I hate those.

And even though Firepower isn't a lot of fun, their description makes it sound so historically significant that skipping it would be a mistake. First lane-switching table, which doesn't seem like a big deal until you play one that doesn't have it. (I want to like Dr. Dude because it's so stupid-silly, but it's also really hard. :argh:)

prefect fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 30, 2014

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I just downloaded pinbot and played a few games. More than half my balls have gone directly down the left drain after bouncing around the pop bumpers where they land after launch. I don't think it has anything to do with the skill shot since it seems to end up in the pop bumpers regardless of which hole you hit. Are you supposed to have to nudge the thing or what?

tonedef131 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 30, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Pinbot's Left Outlane is pretty infamous for that, so don't worry too much! :argh:

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
It'd be cool if TPA were somehow able to get the Jurassic Park table in. Never got to play it myself growing up, only watched others play it.

Also, I'm trying to get better at Attack From Mars, but the thing that always kills me is that I don't know how to nudge the table to get the ball back into the playing field when it goes down on either of the side drains. Is there a special way to nudge the table that I'm missing?

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Ryuga Death posted:

It'd be cool if TPA were somehow able to get the Jurassic Park table in. Never got to play it myself growing up, only watched others play it.

Also, I'm trying to get better at Attack From Mars, but the thing that always kills me is that I don't know how to nudge the table to get the ball back into the playing field when it goes down on either of the side drains. Is there a special way to nudge the table that I'm missing?

Being able to reliably death save from an outlane drain is really more of zen thing. I think i've managed to do it like... once in my entire TPA career across all tables. And I may've hallucinated it.

If you want to get better at Attack From Mars, you'll need to start learning which situations are (eventually) causing the ball to go to the outlane and avoid them before they ever start. When people talk about nudging to save on TPA they (almost universally) mean a nudge to avoid a straight-down-the-middle.

Edit : Or nudging to knock it away from the entrance of the outlane, that can work too. But once it's in the outlane, ball's over.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Same Great Paste posted:

Being able to reliably death save from an outlane drain is really more of zen thing. I think i've managed to do it like... once in my entire TPA career across all tables. And I may've hallucinated it.

If you want to get better at Attack From Mars, you'll need to start learning which situations are (eventually) causing the ball to go to the outlane and avoid them before they ever start. When people talk about nudging to save on TPA they (almost universally) mean a nudge to avoid a straight-down-the-middle.

Edit : Or nudging to knock it away from the entrance of the outlane, that can work too. But once it's in the outlane, ball's over.

That explains it. Pinball FX2 is definitely a lot easier in that regard (and a lot more video game-y in terms of their table design). So if I nudge the table left, does that mean the ball will go more towards the right?

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Ryuga Death posted:

That explains it. Pinball FX2 is definitely a lot easier in that regard (and a lot more video game-y in terms of their table design). So if I nudge the table left, does that mean the ball will go more towards the right?

Yep, exactly.

So if the ball is screaming STDM, a good way to save would be to nudge the table left (moving the ball towards the right, relatively) and trying to catch a piece of it with the right flipper.

Regarding saving from entering the outlanes, I've never had reliable luck with anything but nudging straight forward/up, basically trying to hit the ball with the top of the outlane divider itself. I assume other people have some better advice in this regard.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the advice. Those side lane drains and me sitting there like a doofus staring at the ball going straight down the middle has killed me plenty. Also, panic flipping.

A question, are the pro table season packs as dumb as they seem? I don't really understand what they offer. Being able to mess with the table settings?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

You've got to nudge it BEFORE it goes down the outlane... if it takes a weird bounce, there isn't much you can do, but most of time I see it taking this gentle arc up over and in. On AFM, I've got certain spots on the artwork I use as visual cues to know when it's going that way.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Ryuga Death posted:

Thanks for the advice. Those side lane drains and me sitting there like a doofus staring at the ball going straight down the middle has killed me plenty. Also, panic flipping.

A question, are the pro table season packs as dumb as they seem? I don't really understand what they offer. Being able to mess with the table settings?

The pro tables let you get into the operator's menu, which lets you change thing like number of balls per play, how often free games hit, stuff like that. Since you're not paying to play, none of it is really thrilling to me.

The pro version of Scared Stiff lets you turn off family mode, so there's some very slightly more risque jokes and sound effects, and a DMD animation of Elvira's cleavage that you don't see otherwise.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Pro version sounds rather silly, then.

Is there any way to get a preview of the custom balls before you purchase them?

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Ryuga Death: Check out PAPA's site and look through their "Learning Center" section. It really helped me understand and develop pinball techniques.

Also, just be aware that you probably won't be able to do a lot of the tricks on most physical tables. It took me a long time to get comfortable doing dead bounces (letting the ball bounce from one idle flipper to the other) as a lot of tables had dead rubber and the ball would drain instead of bounce.

I was fortunate enough to play a few collector tables that were in TIP-TOP shape, and I was really able to exercise a lot of tricks and techniques that I couldn't have done on a lot of other tables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

DevCore posted:

Ryuga Death: Check out PAPA's site and look through their "Learning Center" section. It really helped me understand and develop pinball techniques.

Also, just be aware that you probably won't be able to do a lot of the tricks on most physical tables. It took me a long time to get comfortable doing dead bounces (letting the ball bounce from one idle flipper to the other) as a lot of tables had dead rubber and the ball would drain instead of bounce.

I was fortunate enough to play a few collector tables that were in TIP-TOP shape, and I was really able to exercise a lot of tricks and techniques that I couldn't have done on a lot of other tables.

Sounds good to me.

Is the Twilight Zone table really buggy? Anytime I got a multiball for that table, the camera would stay stuck on the ball plunger thing instead of focusing on the table.