Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Wife of nine whole days is crying sitting in our beautiful resort suite, thanks for ruining my honeymoon you loving shits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Lol scotusblog saying the govt can just by regulation provide coverage itself. Congratulations conservatives you just "won" and in return got a little more of your ultra-feared government provided healthcare.

And if the GOP takes aim at that regulation they will just piss off more women which they really don't need to be doing at the moment.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ComradeCosmobot posted:

The second quote makes it sound like Alito is basically asking for a case he can actually overturn Abood with. :getin:

Yeah, that's my reading as well. The dissent also pointed out he randomly attacks Abood in dicta and there's certainly a reason for that.

Gorilla Desperado
Oct 9, 2012

axeil posted:

I'm shocked they didn't apply it to everyone. Alito wrote the thing I was preparing for the worst.

I'm thinking this is what they could get Kennedy to go along with. And Alito gets to write it because Roberts wants to minimize his fingerprints on this mess.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
These 5 GOP hacks are basically the most powerful policy makers in the county right now and they know it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

whitey delenda est posted:

Wife of nine whole days is crying sitting in our beautiful resort suite, thanks for ruining my honeymoon you loving shits.

Turn off the internet you doofus. We will still be here after your honeymoon.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Kennedy's opinion emphasizes that in this particular case, a mechanism for accommodating employers is "already in place" so that the majority opinion does not require the Govt to create "a whole new program or burden on the Govt"
by krussell 10:26 AM
Comment
- See more at: http://live.scotusblog.com/Event/Live_blog_of_opinions__June_30_2014#sthash.4frqIWHA.dpuf

Yeah the accommodation made it really hard to pass strict scrutiny.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Kennedy's concurrence is trying to argue that it's super-limited, huh?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Allaniis posted:

Perhaps, but what's the logic behind that? Jehovah's really don't really want blood transfusions and they really believe that. What's different?

Because this was about a specific provision involving contraception and it was not a general fight about RFPA vs ACA? I mean, SCOTUS could've expanded it to that, but thankfully they didn't despite everything.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Kennedy's opinion emphasizes that in this particular case, a mechanism for accommodating employers is "already in place" so that the majority opinion does not require the Govt to create "a whole new program or burden on the Govt"
by krussell 10:26 AM
Comment
- See more at: http://live.scotusblog.com/Event/Live_blog_of_opinions__June_30_2014#sthash.4frqIWHA.dpuf

Yeah the accommodation made it really hard to pass strict scrutiny.

Strict scrutiny should not apply in the first place.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

ElrondHubbard posted:

So it only applies to contraception, not other religious beliefs like transfusions or vaccinations? I was hoping that if they were going crazy, they would at least go full-on :unsmigghh:

That makes the decision even more absurd. At least if they opened it up to everything it'd be logically consistent.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

Lol scotusblog saying the govt can just by regulation provide coverage itself. Congratulations conservatives you just "won" and in return got a little more of your ultra-feared government provided healthcare.

And if the GOP takes aim at that regulation they will just piss off more women which they really don't need to be doing at the moment.

Next up: Gov can not spend tax dollars on programs that sincere religious taxpayers object to. This holding is limited to only abortion and contraception.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Seriously only having the ruling pertain to contraceptives is so blatantly enforcing their own prejudices it's disgusting. It's one thing if they just said corporations could hold religions because of some ridiculous legal reasoning but singling out a women's issue that conservatives specifically have an issue with is just them enforcing their own set of politics with no shame.

What a joke.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

euphronius posted:

Turn off the internet you doofus. We will still be here after your honeymoon.

She works in reproductive health rights (and I was referring to the court) . This is like her Waterloo.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Gorilla Desperado posted:

I'm thinking this is what they could get Kennedy to go along with. And Alito gets to write it because Roberts wants to minimize his fingerprints on this mess.

As opposed to, you know, Roberts voting against it...

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

euphronius posted:

Next up: Gov can not spend tax dollars on programs that sincere religious taxpayers object to. This holding is limited to only abortion and contraception.
Abortion, contraception, and food stamps.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

axeil posted:

That makes the decision even more absurd. At least if they opened it up to everything it'd be logically consistent.
The argument is there is a stronger governmental interest in people getting vaccines and blood transfusions than contraception.

My secret hope is Kennedy is advocating for single payer healthcare, but that's dumb.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Missing Donut posted:

He wants the decision, but is canny enough to know there's no way to write it that isn't idiotic. So Alito takes the fall, but he still gets his decision.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Missing Donut posted:

Roberts' legacy of corporate fellatio would be so tarnished if he voted against it.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

axeil posted:

The only ethical religious tenet to support is my religious tenet --Alito, J. for the court

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
So corporations CAN find religion now, huh?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Radish posted:

Seriously only having the ruling pertain to contraceptives is so blatantly enforcing their own prejudices it's disgusting. It's one thing if they just said corporations could hold religions because of some ridiculous legal reasoning but singling out a women's issue that conservatives specifically have an issue with is just them enforcing their own set of politics with no shame.

What a joke.
It's really just Bush v. Gore 2.0

'But seriously guys, we're totally not partisan hacks'

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

anonumos posted:

Closely held corporations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Roberts' legacy of corporate fellatio would be so tarnished if he voted against it.

I'd like to think that Roberts in one of the worst SCOTUSes in the last hundred years but I'm sure that's incredibly ignorant and naive.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's really just Bush v. Gore 2.0

Yeah that's the feeling I got. "We know this ruling is bullshit. Don't base much on it, but we know you can't do anything so suck it up."

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

It's Bush v. Gore's "this decision has no precendential value because we're just basically picking Bush and we did it too quickly to be sure our rule is one we ever want to use again" all over again.
Heh, glad I'm not the only one who felt that uncomfortable sense of deja vu.

Please tell me one of these chucklefucks has a heart condition and keeps defiantly smoking/eating red meat because gently caress you Michelle Obama you can't tell me how to be healthy.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
People wonder why I'm excited for President Hillary. Simply speaking, some of these fuckers have to die sometime.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

anonumos posted:

Only if by finding religion they screw over women. Any other reason for finding religion doesn't count.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
The first reactions from other news sources overread Hobby Lobby significantly. The Court makes clear that the government can provide coverage to the female employees. And it strongly suggests it would reject broad religious claims to, for example, discriminate against gay employees. - See more at: http://live.scotusblog.com/Event/Live_blog_of_opinions__June_30_2014#sthash.P1oQmgbh.dpuf

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Allaniis posted:

My secret hope is Kennedy is advocating for single payer healthcare, but that's dumb.
This ruling is a strong argument against tying access to healthcare to the whims of the employer. So maybe it will help a little bit, at least getting people to think "wait, why does Hobby Lobby get to determine the reproductive rights of anybody?"

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Ginsburg is dissenting from the bench

:allears:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

quote:

More on the closely held question: We have no occasion in these cases to consider RFRA's applicability to publicly traded corporations . The companies in the cases before us are closely held corporations each owned and controlled by members of a single family and no one has disputed the sincerity of their religious beliefs. - See more at: http://live.scotusblog.com/Event/Live_blog_of_opinions__June_30_2014#sthash.zZmLbbG8.dpuf

"we'll decide that Wal-Mart is religious next year"

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

anonumos posted:

My new tutoring corporation adheres closely to the strictures of Sharia law; this ensures that, unless our tutors have prehensile toes, no one embezzles twice!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Radish posted:

I'd like to think that Roberts in one of the worst SCOTUSes in the last hundred years but I'm sure that's incredibly ignorant and naive.

Yeah that's the feeling I got. "We know this ruling is bullshit. Don't base much on it, but we know you can't do anything so suck it up."

Nothing's ever really gonna top Dred Scott, Plessy v. Ferguson or the one that said interning the Japanese during WWII was cool. So at least the Roberts Court won't be the worst in all of history.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Anybody remember that clip from The Jerk where he details what you can win at his carnival game? "Everything above the stuffed animals but below the electronics, just to the left of the mugs and to the right of the beach balls, just under the noisemakers and on the shelf just above the picture frames. Now that includes the pencile erasers, but not the chiclets."

What I'm saying is someone redo that scene but with various religious texts and Scalia as Steve Martin.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

ayn rand hand job posted:

Ginsburg is dissenting from the bench

:allears:

God bless and keep Our Lady of the Iron Doily.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
The Notorious RBG.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

You know someone on scotusblog pointed out that by saying "well there is an acceptable exemption for nonprofits" the scotus is kind of saying that the argument by those same nonprofits that they shouldn't have to abide by the terms of that exemption (and provide certifications to their employees to allow them to go purchase the coverage elsewhere) isn't going to fly.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

A large public company could transfer all employment contracts to a closely held subsidiary and then pay the closely held company a contract price to provide employment. Ta da.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The majority opinion, by holding that the nonprofit accommodation is a less restrictive means for accommodating closely held for-profit business suggests (at least to me) that the non-profits who object to that process (because they don't want to have to certify that they object to providing contraceptive coverage) are in trouble. Seems unlikely the Court would say that this is a less restrictive means in this case, only to later hold that it is unconstitutional. But that's a very quick reaction.
- See more at: http://live.scotusblog.com/Event/Live_blog_of_opinions__June_30_2014#sthash.S683655x.dpuf

Curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

euphronius posted:

A large public company could transfer all employment contracts to a closely held subsidiary and then pay the closely held company a contract price to provide employment. Ta da.
That's so loving evil, holy poo poo.

Can't wait.