Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

OssiansFolly posted:

Hmmm that is a really nice ability. Do you think the cost on it is justified by the ability though? I'm not sure I would use it in Standard because of the cost.

Absolutely yes. Too bad it can't search up bestow creatures. This tutoring up a Chromanticore would be sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Chorocojo posted:

Hot off the European MTG twitter:

Supposing you cast Gifts Ungiven for this and Unburial Rites, with Eldrazi Conscription somewhere in the deck or hand. Is there a better Rites-able Eldrazi?

Dungeon Ecology posted:

He seems like a Convoke posterboy.

How so?

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

kizudarake posted:

Also, if your store normally charges less than 3.99 for packs, such as 3 for 10 bucks, and they do charge 25 for this prerelease, (if the prerelease is done with just booster packs this time), they absolutely are fleecing you. The promos are provided free of charge, and Wizards provides prize support for free, based on the amount of prerelease slots the store orders for.

It's seeded packs. Those cost more to the sore than normal packs. It's also customary for many store to give prize support beyond 2 packs/player. (And if a store is giving you a deal on one product, it's "fleecing" for them not to give you a deal on another product? Really?)

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Emerson Cod posted:

Absolutely yes. Too bad it can't search up bestow creatures. This tutoring up a Chromanticore would be sick.

Yeah, my first two thoughts were "Oh, cool with bestow creatures" and then "poo poo, not cool with bestow creatures." Gift of Immortality would be a fun fetch with this guy, maybe.

In that he costs 7 mana. (wait, I see what you're saying. Never mind.)

Sarcastro fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 30, 2014

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Emerson Cod posted:

Yea I think Bestow creatures would DEFINITELY take it too far. If it could the cost would be more justifiable. I just don't see anything in Standard currently that could justify the CMC for a 4/4 that brings a game changing aura into play. Now, if there is a way to Convoke him into play as Dungeon Ecology hints at then we may have a good card...

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
After GP Washington this past weekend, all I want to say is my favorite new format is Wacky Draft. Just the insanity that comes out of that format is amazing and worth every penny. I did four of them and had the following for my packs:
1. Gatecrash, M13, Modern Masters
2. Born of the Gods, Gatecrash, Legions
3. Theros, M10, Avacyn Restored
4. Innistrad, M11, Lowryn :getin: (Didn't get any money out of the packs though while the dude across from me wheel slammed a Garruk, Wild Speaker P1P1.) :gbsmith:

It is just hilarious to open Theros for pack 1 and have the dude to my right hand me a rainbow bright Shards of Alara pack for pick 2 to be followed up by a Conspiracy pack for pick 3. So awesome.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

OssiansFolly posted:

Yea I think Bestow creatures would DEFINITELY take it too far. If it could the cost would be more justifiable. I just don't see anything in Standard currently that could justify the CMC for a 4/4 that brings a game changing aura into play. Now, if there is a way to Convoke him into play as Dungeon Ecology hints at then we may have a good card...

Chord of Calling, although it's 3 extra mana.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

New Garruk is really awesome and I'm glad they turned the power and cost to 11. We didn't need another midrange Garruk. This one was battered, fried, and seasoned with flavor.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
How do people like the new Ajani? Might drop it into my BW deck, it seems to do a lot, with an ultimate that seems achievable and can't be ignored.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Just the other day, I was looking for a spell to let my Kresh EDH eat target creature and gain life equal to its toughness. Lookin' forward to Garruk, King of the Monsters!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Chorocojo posted:

Hot off the European MTG twitter:

CHROMANTICORE!!!!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

mcmagic posted:

CHROMANTICORE!!!!

literally doesnt work

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

mcmagic posted:

CHROMANTICORE!!!!

Not an Aura until you pay its Bestow cost and it goes on the stack and then on the battlefield. It's an Enchantment Creature card in all other zones.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

LordSaturn posted:

Just the other day, I was looking for a spell to let my Kresh EDH eat target creature and gain life equal to its toughness. Lookin' forward to Garruk, King of the Monsters!

I eagerly await someone trying being one point off their Kiora/Elspeth/Jace ultimate and just saying, "Haha, no." slamming Garruk and murdering them.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

mcmagic posted:

CHROMANTICORE!!!!
NO MAN....ticore.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Not an Aura until you pay its Bestow cost and it goes on the stack and then on the battlefield. It's an Enchantment Creature card in all other zones.

I thought it was both an enchantment and a creature. Crap. NM then.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

mcmagic posted:

It is both an enchantment and a creature! It is not, however, an Aura.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

mcmagic posted:

It is. But it's not an Aura until you Bestow it and Boonweaver Giant only hits Aura's.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

mcmagic posted:

It is both an Enchantment and a Creature but Enchanment is not the same as Enchantment - Aura

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Any high profile examples of this being used tactically or to play mind games?

I know there's people who have conceded at the sight of a combo deck having assembled its pieces, despite the opponent not being very good (and possibly whiffling due to player incompetence), so maybe something of that sort? Os if they only have one spell as their out, showing them a Force of Will, but not letting them know you don't have a blue card?

Can't think of specific examples right now though, sorry.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you're in a UW Control/Esper mirror and worried about going to time, you can just leave your hand revealed after they Thoughtsieze you so they don't need to spend a minute writing your cards down.

I know there are a few fairly-high-profile players who leave their cards showing after their opponent has seen them, though I suspect that's more out of courtesy than any actual worries about time.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Any high profile examples of this being used tactically or to play mind games?

Usually you see people do it if the opponent has seen their hand and they don't feel like wasting time making their opponent write it down. You can leave the cards they have seen face up. Can't think of exactly when, but I've seen it done on camera at pro-rel events.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

How do people like the new Ajani? Might drop it into my BW deck, it seems to do a lot, with an ultimate that seems achievable and can't be ignored.

It's really bad, the first and second abilities do literally nothing on an empty board.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's really bad, the first and second abilities do literally nothing on an empty board.

Is an empty board the correct context to determine a rating for the new Ajani?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

LordSaturn posted:

Supposing you cast Gifts Ungiven for this and Unburial Rites, with Eldrazi Conscription somewhere in the deck or hand. Is there a better Rites-able Eldrazi?

So, you get a 14/14 Trample Annihilator 2 with Boon Giant, vs. It That Betrays 11/11 Annihilator 2 and you get what they sacrifice vs. Pathrazer of Ulamog 9/9 Annihilator 3, cannot be blocked by less than 3 dudes. ITB and Pathrazer have different abilites, but Boon Giant seems stronger in the raw power department.

The better question is making a 14/14 Trample Annihilator 2 better than say Norn or Iona?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The March Hare posted:

Is an empty board the correct context to determine a rating for the new Ajani?

Considering that at 4 mana you want whatever you drop to make an impact, and Ajani only does things when you already have a good position on the table?

Yes.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
When does the full M15 spoiler drop?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Probably at the end of this week/next Monday.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Rinkles posted:

When does the full M15 spoiler drop?

Probably end of this week/beginning of next; it's usually about a week before the prerelease.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

TheKingofSprings posted:

Considering that at 4 mana you want whatever you drop to make an impact, and Ajani only does things when you already have a good position on the table?

Yes.

At least right now, there looks to be three types of decks that want Ajani. The first is probably mono white and has Ajani or the new Obelisk thing as a curve topper and uses the -2 as the older b/w tokens decks did to pump the team. The second deck is more mid range and maybe played a Courser/Brimaz/Sooze before hand and can make use of the +1 or use the -2 later to pump the team to attack or to boost say an Elspeth up a turn. The third one wants to use the -2 to pump up multiple walkers at once. Against another control deck Jace -2 would probably be a better turn 4 play, but that depends on what the board is. Time will tell if the superfriends style deck is any good, but at least right now it looks a little clunky to me.

Playing Ajani onto a board with no creatures to support him is probably a bad idea anyways (especially against an aggro deck) unless you just got verdicted, but most of the time you aren't going to going to play draw go for the first 3 turns either.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

White in M15 is encouraging aggro players to go wide rather than have powerful answers. Raise the alarm, triplicate spirits, launch the fleet can pump out a lot of tokens, including brimaz and premiment captain as bigger threats, you can produce a very large field fast, combining this with obelisk of urd and ajani as curve topper, unless the opponent has a reliable wrath on t4, it's going to be hard not being facerolled.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Samael posted:

White in M15 is encouraging aggro players to go wide rather than have powerful answers. Raise the alarm, triplicate spirits, launch the fleet can pump out a lot of tokens, including brimaz and premiment captain as bigger threats, you can produce a very large field fast, combining this with obelisk of urd and ajani as curve topper, unless the opponent has a reliable wrath on t4, it's going to be hard not being facerolled.

If there's any control deck playing black or red, Anger of the Gods/Drown in Sorrow are turn 3 wraths against most of this deck.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Can't wait for RW murdertokens in super standard, although there won't be much murdering going on now. (Just YP and purphoros jank)

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Promoted Pawn posted:

If there's any control deck playing black or red, Anger of the Gods/Drown in Sorrow are turn 3 wraths against most of this deck.

Which is why T1 dude -> T2 dude dude -> T3 Obelisk of Urd is going to be such an important curve to hit. Also that Reanimate X Weenies spell seems highly playable, particularly the turn after you resolve Ajani, Mentor of Heroes.

vvv EDIT: God, that's loving glorious. I just GOT my Eternal Witness playmat, though! :(

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 30, 2014

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
GP NJ playmat. Unf.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Promoted Pawn posted:

Most Esper decks don't play Drown in Sorrow and Anger of the Gods blanks to a Brave the Elements. Basically it doesn't matter if a deck can be beaten if no one sideboards against it. See: Naya Hexproof winning the SCG Open this weekend when Glaring Spotlight exists.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Samael posted:

I am actually surprised to say this, but I am looking forward to putting together a W Standard deck of some kind here this month. I'm torn between mono-W or WU for the couple good WU Soldiers.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

OssiansFolly posted:

I am actually surprised to say this, but I am looking forward to putting together a W Standard deck of some kind here this month. I'm torn between mono-W or WU for the couple good WU Soldiers.

Me too. Launch the fleet with a stalled board with Obelisk naming soldiers for the first time is going to put a stupid grin on my face.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

jassi007 posted:

GP NJ playmat. Unf.

That is just beautiful! I want this so much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER

jassi007 posted:

GP NJ playmat. Unf.

Beautiful. I need to get one of these somehow

• Locked thread