Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
The added pet types are from the DLC patches, so they'll be missing if you don't have those activated.

At one point I think I was going to make a tutorial for people to add their own pet types, but halfway through I realized that it was so incredibly involved that anyone who could do it wouldn't need the tutorial. That one in particular is pretty rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Mr. Carrier Pigeon posted:

So I don't know if this has been asked before, but is there a mod out there that allows you to get to the Word Walls that are stuck behind Guild quests without having to join that guild?
Freedom of speech.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Is there a good mod that issues murder/death?

I can kill someone in a shop and someone else will stroll over and go 'oh my!......' Then walk off (even loot the body).

Maybe I'm expecting too much, but maybe they can walk to a guard or go into attack mode (if in a dungeon).

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013

YOURFRIEND posted:

Please play skyrim unmodded the first time around. Mod it after you have two hundred hours, it is a fine game.

you are incredibly wrong, YOURFRIEND.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!
I knew there was something like this but just couldn't remember the name of the mod. Thanks.

For the time being, though, I'll be using this. I love the idea behind it. Besides, Seorin mods are Good Mods.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
Just when I was getting worried about Skyrim modding since half of the Hot Files on Nexus are sexy statue replacers, this comes along. Familiar Faces lets you import your saved player characters to other saved games as companions. Sounds absolutely awesome.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Alasyre posted:

Just when I was getting worried about Skyrim modding since half of the Hot Files on Nexus are sexy statue replacers, this comes along. Familiar Faces lets you import your saved player characters to other saved games as companions. Sounds absolutely awesome.

Yeah, I just saw that on Brodual's feature. I've been wanting that since release, and people always told me it couldn't be done, so I'm totally :neckbeard: right now about this. Before getting back into Skyrim after a long break, I was asking around for an RPG that was small-party based and had total class freedom, and Skyrim would've fit the bill except for the multiple created characters bit. Now that's solved. Apparently the author is also working on something where you can share items between characters too.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
edit: nevermind!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I was thinking of going through my bi-annual tradition of reinstalling the latest Elder Scrolls, installing a shitload of mods and deleting everything when the game crashed. But this time, smartly :eng101:

So I've downloaded the latest Mod Organizer and basically every mod in the OP. But then I cannot launch the game from Mod Manager (launches Steam but doesn't launch Skyrim) nor SKSE (it crashes). Both the game and SKSE work perfectly well when launched from ther own shortcuts. :eng99:

Any non-obvious thing I should be doing? I'm running Windows 7, and everything is a fresh install.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Are there any mods that actually gently caress with the combat system, rather than just the leveling or whatever? Coming back this after the souls games just makes the combat floaty and mushy in comparison, nothing feels like it connects.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

cat doter posted:

Are there any mods that actually gently caress with the combat system, rather than just the leveling or whatever? Coming back this after the souls games just makes the combat floaty and mushy in comparison, nothing feels like it connects.

Interested in hearing mods like this too, the only one I've found is one that adds a camera-jolt when you hit something, you can also get it to blur also. Guess what, I don't have the link :(

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

So I've downloaded the latest Mod Organizer and basically every mod in the OP. But then I cannot launch the game from Mod Manager (launches Steam but doesn't launch Skyrim) nor SKSE (it crashes).
First rule of modding: Start small. The number one mistake people new to modding these games make is installing 100+ mods at once. If something goes wrong, you'll have no way to troubleshoot things. Install & test mods one at the time, or at least in small batches.
Second rule of modding: Read the readmes and the description pages of mods.

A crash on startup with mods is most likely a missing masterfile. You can try posting your loadorder (with MO you can just copy a txt file under \ModOrganizer\profiles\<profile name>) and maybe someone here will spot your problem. But it can be a good idea to start over with the above two rules firmly in mind.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Raygereio posted:

A crash on startup with mods is most likely a missing masterfile. You can try posting your loadorder (with MO you can just copy a txt file under \ModOrganizer\profiles\<profile name>) and maybe someone here will spot your problem. But it can be a good idea to start over with the above two rules firmly in mind.

Yeah, I know, the above post was (mostly) exageration, althought there are times where I just say "gently caress it" and throw everything in. I have basically no problem starting over, but I was just hoping I was missing something like "start in Admin mode".

Problem seems to be in the interaction of Mod Manager and SKSE, though, because the crash happens even with no mods activated in Mod Manager.

I'll make fresh installs of SKSE and Mod Manager and see if it helps any. Given that Mod Manager doesn't mess with the Data folder I should be able to keep the Skyrim installation alone, right?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Titty Warlord posted:

you are incredibly wrong, YOURFRIEND.
I agree with Titty Warlord. At the very least you should be using SkyUI and the unofficial patches on a first PC playthrough. They don't alter the mechanics of the game or add any new content and ensure you'll have a much more stable and functional game than you otherwise would.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

simosimo posted:

Interested in hearing mods like this too, the only one I've found is one that adds a camera-jolt when you hit something, you can also get it to blur also. Guess what, I don't have the link :(

TK Hitstop

I didn't like this at all when I tried it a year ago, but I also didn't try playing with the settings at all. A lot of people swear by it for making the combat more interesting.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Fat Samurai posted:

Yeah, I know, the above post was (mostly) exageration, althought there are times where I just say "gently caress it" and throw everything in. I have basically no problem starting over, but I was just hoping I was missing something like "start in Admin mode".

Problem seems to be in the interaction of Mod Manager and SKSE, though, because the crash happens even with no mods activated in Mod Manager.

I'll make fresh installs of SKSE and Mod Manager and see if it helps any. Given that Mod Manager doesn't mess with the Data folder I should be able to keep the Skyrim installation alone, right?

Is steam running before you start skyrim/skse through MO? If not that's probably what's happening because skyrim requires steam and while it tries to start it MO confuses the situation. Second is skyrim installed in your program files folder? If so move it out since UAC interferes with MO/skse because they are basically trying to hack skyrim the same way a trojan would.

MO doesn't mess with the skyrim install and can and probably should be installed outside the skyrim folder. So unless you installed anything besides skse before using MO your data folder should be intact and you shouldn't need to reinstall skyrim. But if you do need to nuke the whole skyrim folder and start from scratch, make sure skyrim runs correctly and then use steam to backup your skyrim install so you don't have to wait for it to download if something goes wrong again.

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar

cat doter posted:

Duel - Combat Realism works pretty well for me, although it doesn't really address the floatiness. Bigger emphasis on smart blocking and stick-n-move combat. Also it makes being outnumbered a real bummer.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

What's making the Nexus so slow these days?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

omg chael crash posted:

What's making the Nexus so slow these days?

I'm gonna guess the Skyrim sales during the Steam summer event. Many more copies out there means a lot more traffic for those big titty anime mods.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I had an odd issue with the newst version of Mod Organizer and SkyUI: MO 1.2.8 was unable to install SkyUI 4.1 correctly no matter what. Game would just complaing about missing .swf:s when going to inventory. I had to downgrade back to MO 1.2.6, and that one could install from the same SkyUI 4.1 archive completely fine and working.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
If I change settings with the default skyrim launcher do they stick or do I need to tinker things with Mod Organizer to have them work? For whatever reason it feels like no matter what settings I screw with and turn down the game runs at 45-50ish fps which is fine but I really feel as though I should be able to run it consistently at 60fps.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Tracula posted:

If I change settings with the default skyrim launcher do they stick or do I need to tinker things with Mod Organizer to have them work? For whatever reason it feels like no matter what settings I screw with and turn down the game runs at 45-50ish fps which is fine but I really feel as though I should be able to run it consistently at 60fps.

Run the launcher through Mod Organizer to get it to stick. Add it manually as an executable.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
God I love MO but sometimes I wonder if it's being managed by a moron. With the massive rush of bugfix releases lately he was bound to break something horribly. I started up my game today with 1.2.8 and was baffled that SkyUI wasn't working properly. In fact, several of my mods weren't working properly. MO reported no conflicts so I went to the nexus page and found this.

quote:

Version 1.2.9

- bugfix: update.bsa is again treated like a regular bsa because hiding it from the archive-list made it impossible (in managed bsa mode) to overwrite files from update.bsa

:cripes:

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Forgedbow posted:

Duel - Combat Realism works pretty well for me, although it doesn't really address the floatiness. Bigger emphasis on smart blocking and stick-n-move combat. Also it makes being outnumbered a real bummer.

This changes nothing much mechanically, it just makes things 'harder' while providing no tactical utility to speak of. There's only so many times you can block something with a 2 handed weapon that can kill you in 1-2 hits.

This is what every bloody mod does that claims to make the combat better, it just makes poo poo harder, and it's artificial difficulty at its loving finest because the underlying combat is so mechanically shallow that there's no actual skillful play required or even possible. You either swing at someone and heal yourself when you're low, or you just eventually die.

I guess this is why dark souls has stuff like rolling/parrying/backstabs and the rigid animation priority style, actual tactical utility and clear win/fail states and relatively clearly observable combat influence.

It's probably a really unfair comparison and comparisons to dark souls is kinda tired these days, but I play those games a lot and it's making going back to crappy RPG combat really difficult.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I'm getting this each time I try to install SkyUI:

I swear everything is placed as it should be. I've tried installing with every version of ModManager from 1.2.6 to 1.2.9 (after reading Lunksu's post), and the error keeps appearing. And installing anyway (which I can) leads to SkyUI complaining that SKSE isn't running.

Everything else is a fresh install in a non-Program Files folder.

Fake edit: Installing everything manually (putting the .esp and .bsa files in the data folder) worked perfectly well. Any other mods that behave like this I souuld be aware of?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

The OP posted:

Q:When I try to install SkyUI, it tells me it can't find SKSE. What gives?
A: Are you using Mod Organizer? If so, then ignore the message. SkyUI will install just fine.
Because of how MO works (specifically: it keeps mods seperate and out of the Data folder), SkyUI's installer can't find SKSE. But as long as you have SKSE installed and launch SKSE's executable through MO, it should work just fine.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 1, 2014

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
Hmmm... you shouldn't have to put any mods .bsa or .esp in Skyrim's data folder, so something is amiss. I know SkyUI throws up an error when installing with MO even if you're doing it right. Is it complaining in-game about SKSE?

Edit: Probably what Raygereio said, but your post seems to suggest it's complaining in-game.

Alasyre fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 1, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Alasyre posted:

Hmmm... you shouldn't have to put any mods .bsa or .esp in Skyrim's data folder, so something is amiss. I know SkyUI throws up an error when installing with MO even if you're doing it right. Is it complaining in-game about SKSE?

Edit: Probably what Raygereio said, but your post seems to suggest it's complaining in-game.

Yeah, the UI wasn't working in game, so I had to do a manual install (putting stuff in Data folder). The unnoficial patches have gone without any problem, though. Hopefully just a hiccup with the latest MO.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

Yeah, the UI wasn't working in game, so I had to do a manual install (putting stuff in Data folder). The unnoficial patches have gone without any problem, though. Hopefully just a hiccup with the latest MO.
If you read my post above it probably had your reason. Get rid of the manual installation and upgrade to 1.2.9 (Or downgrade to 1.1.2 since that version is still up) and try installing SkyUI through MO again.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Ok, question. Should I install SKSE through MO, too? Because if MO is looking at it's own folder structure and not looking at Data, of course it's going to give problems.

"SKES? That's not a mod. It's not even in the Nexus! Of course you install it as you have always done." :eng99:

VVVVV

Crap. Thanks for the help, I'll try downgrading to MO 1.1.2, see what happens. And if not I'll just soldier on with SkyUI in the Data folder.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 1, 2014

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

Ok, question. Should I install SKSE through MO, too? Because if MO is looking at it's own folder structure and not looking at Data, of course it's going to give problems.

"SKES? That's not a mod. It's not even in the Nexus! Of course you install it as you have always done." :eng99:

No. ENB and SKSE are the only things that you have to absolutely install in the root Skyrim folder if you use Mod Organizer.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

How do I use Lootification with MO?

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

"We Must Dissent"

omg chael crash posted:

How do I use Lootification with MO?

Install and activate it through MO and then go to the data tab in the right panel and find the .jar. Right click it and choose add as executable. Then run it through MO.

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan
Lately I've been trying to increase magic damage taken across the board for all actors in the game. Changing the damage-difficulty multipliers work well enough for combat between the players and NPCs, but have no effect on NPCs fighting each other which bugs me. I looked around and it seems as if there isn't an easy way to increase magic damage globally without getting into scripting. The best solution I could come up with using my limited knowledge of the CK was to create a magic effect that damages Magic Resistance, which I then used to create an ability that I tediously applied as a trait to every race in the game one by one (was a good way to find out that the CK doesn't recognize an added ability as a change if the race has none to begin with).

Anyway, my crude edit works well enough in-game; the only problem is that it overwrites any other mods that edit race data, which I noticed when the wolves I'd edited earlier to deal 10 damage per hit were only doing 5 again. So yeah: is there a way to add a racial ability to every race in the game without causing mod conflicts?

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
I picked up all the DLC during the summer sale, what are some mods I can use now that I have them? I'm already eyeing Deadly Dragons but I know there are quite a few worthwhile ones that have just opened up to me.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

fibblins posted:

Lately I've been trying to increase magic damage taken across the board for all actors in the game. Changing the damage-difficulty multipliers work well enough for combat between the players and NPCs, but have no effect on NPCs fighting each other which bugs me. I looked around and it seems as if there isn't an easy way to increase magic damage globally without getting into scripting. The best solution I could come up with using my limited knowledge of the CK was to create a magic effect that damages Magic Resistance, which I then used to create an ability that I tediously applied as a trait to every race in the game one by one (was a good way to find out that the CK doesn't recognize an added ability as a change if the race has none to begin with).

Anyway, my crude edit works well enough in-game; the only problem is that it overwrites any other mods that edit race data, which I noticed when the wolves I'd edited earlier to deal 10 damage per hit were only doing 5 again. So yeah: is there a way to add a racial ability to every race in the game without causing mod conflicts?

SkyTweak allows you increase magic scaling, though that probably won't have quite the effect you're after at low levels. Your quick and dirty weakness to magic effects on everything can work if you use TES5Edit to merge the changes with your other mods. I think a straight up MergedPatch will pick up on Race records but you may have to do it manually.

Heavy Lobster posted:

I picked up all the DLC during the summer sale, what are some mods I can use now that I have them? I'm already eyeing Deadly Dragons but I know there are quite a few worthwhile ones that have just opened up to me.

In terms of general, not DLC-content specific mods, the first one to come to my mind is Complete Crafting Overhaul Redone.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

fibblins posted:

A skyproc or tesedit script could add abilities to races easily if there isn't a way to directly adjust magic damage. I don't know tesedit scripting but for skyproc make an esp with your ability in it, then set skyproc to import races and spells and the body of the patcher should look something like
code:
FormID abilityID = new FormID("012345", "yourPlugin.esp); // replace with the last 6 digits of your ability's formID and the name of the esp its in
for(RACE r : merger.getRaces()){
r.addSpell(abilityID);
patch.addRecord(r);
}

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Salutations Skyrim Modgoons. I'm starting my yearly playthrough of Skyrim and have decided to mod the hell out of it this go-round. I'd like to really get as much going as I can with the below mods. Are there any obvious issues/conflicts with the list below? I know to take it slow and add a few at a time (I started last evening with ASIS, SPERG, the Unofficial patches and Immersive Patrols). Thanks for any advice you can give.

In addition, if you could recommend any other mods that would fit in with this batch that'd be spectacular. I don't have the kind of VRAM to really get the most out of some of the texture mods/changes, but plenty to play smoothly on vanilla.

Frostfall
Realistic Needs & Diseases
Alternate Start-Live another life
SPERG
Skyrim-Community-Uncapper
ASIS
Trade & Barter
Timing is Everything
The Choice is Yours
Thieves Guild requirements
Hunterborn
Immersive Armors
Immersive Weapons
Run for your Lives
When vampires attack
Uncle Sheogorath
Better Quest Objectives
A Quality World Map - With Roads
SkyUI
Brawl Bugs Patch
Flora Respawn Fix
The Unofficial Patches
Weapons and Armor Fixes
Bounty Gold
Immersive animations
Dual Sheath Redux
Cloaks of Skyrim
Better Bows
Apocalypse Spell Package
Vanilla Followers Enhanced
Immersive Patrols
Interesting NPC's
Static Mesh Improvement mod
Faster mining
Clothing & Clutter fixes
Climates of Tamriel
Supreme Storms
Weather patch for CoT - Fog and Overcast
Consistant Stars - CoT patch
XCE - Xenius Character Enhancement
Skyrim HD - LITE
AOF Believable Hair

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012

cat doter posted:

This changes nothing much mechanically, it just makes things 'harder' while providing no tactical utility to speak of. There's only so many times you can block something with a 2 handed weapon that can kill you in 1-2 hits.

This is what every bloody mod does that claims to make the combat better, it just makes poo poo harder, and it's artificial difficulty at its loving finest because the underlying combat is so mechanically shallow that there's no actual skillful play required or even possible. You either swing at someone and heal yourself when you're low, or you just eventually die.

I guess this is why dark souls has stuff like rolling/parrying/backstabs and the rigid animation priority style, actual tactical utility and clear win/fail states and relatively clearly observable combat influence.

It's probably a really unfair comparison and comparisons to dark souls is kinda tired these days, but I play those games a lot and it's making going back to crappy RPG combat really difficult.

there's TK dodge, which adds a dodge move, and most combat mods offer a bonus stun if you block at the right time, which adds something. It'll never be dark souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Talmonis posted:

Realistic Needs & Diseases

I highly recommend iNeed instead of RND. It's more configurable, less intrusive, and just as immersive but with a better UI. I particularly like that all I have to do is keep my inventory stocked with food and drink, and it'll make me automatically eat and drink when needed without interrupting the adventure.

I'd also suggest the Epic Gameplay Overhaul package... or at the very least, the Dragon AI component thereof, but the Fire/Ice Overhaul is good too, the Combat Drama Overhaul has a nice MCM, nothing wrong with the Epic Music Overhaul... some people complain about the Civil War Overhaul being a bit wonky, but I haven't tried it yet, so I can't say. His mod descriptions are idiotic, but the mods themselves are pretty well written so far as I've seen.

I'm also a huge fan of Immerive College of Winterhold, which completely revamps the college without changing the lore. I've had a teensy bit of trouble combining it with Live Another Life using the Winterhold Start, in that the tutorial xp script keeps firing if I go into the practice hall during the day, but otherwise it's a wonderful mod.

• Locked thread