Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

axeil posted:

Nothing's ever really gonna top Dred Scott, Plessy v. Ferguson or the one that said interning the Japanese during WWII was cool. So at least the Roberts Court won't be the worst in all of history.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here, Roberts may not be a spring chicken, but he's got some years left in him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorilla Desperado
Oct 9, 2012

evilweasel posted:

He wants the decision, but is canny enough to know there's no way to write it that isn't idiotic. So Alito takes the fall, but he still gets his decision.

Yep, exactly.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

euphronius posted:

A large public company could transfer all employment contracts to a closely held subsidiary and then pay the closely held company a contract price to provide employment. Ta da.

Don't give them ideas!

ElrondHubbard posted:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here, Roberts may not be a spring chicken, but he's got some years left in him.

The Roberts court writing something worse than the Dred Scott "black people aren't people" decision would be pretty tough.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
Holy motherfucking poo poo.

Justice Alito posted:

Corporations are people, but their religious convictions only matter with relation to hoo-haas. Because reasons.

:stonklol:

Facebook is going to be motherfucking insufferable.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

axeil posted:

The Roberts court writing something worse than the Dred Scott "black people aren't people" decision would be pretty tough.

"Racism is over" was a good first try.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Because of the accommodation that already exists for religious nonprofits.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

euphronius posted:

A large public company could transfer all employment contracts to a closely held subsidiary and then pay the closely held company a contract price to provide employment. Ta da.

A S-Corporation can not be held by a C-Corporation.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

axeil posted:

Nothing's ever really gonna top Dred Scott, Plessy v. Ferguson or the one that said interning the Japanese during WWII was cool. So at least the Roberts Court won't be the worst in all of history.

Yeah I mentioned hundred years to factor out those two monstrosities, but I didn't know about the Japanese internment going to the Supreme Court so horray for Roberts, he still has some way to go.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

axeil posted:

No, but I'd argue the VRA decision is right up there.

Radish posted:

Yeah I mentioned hundred years to factor out those two monstrosities, but I didn't know about the Japanese internment going to the Supreme Court so horray for Roberts, he still has some way to go.

That's the worst decision that has never explicitly been overturned, basically. Korematsu v. United States

Korematsu's personal conviction was overturned because the government lied to the Supreme Court, but the actual holding of Korematsu has never explicitly been overturned despite widespread agreement it's wrong (and probably won't ever, mostly because nobody would dare rely on it anymore and give the court an opening).

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

karthun posted:

The S/C distinction isn't relevant to the decision.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

karthun posted:

Transfer employment contracts to a closely held company that just so happens to be owned by some of the same people in charge of Wal-Mart, say.

There's gonna be some serious attempts to get around the restrictions on 'closely held,' or some non-closely-held company will bring suit.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

evilweasel posted:

No, but I'd argue the VRA decision is right up there.

This plus the VRA decision are pretty out there. I'm not sure if they're in the Top 10 of Bad Decisions though because I don't know enough about law/SCOTUS though. Those 3 were the only really monstrous decisions I could think of.

Bush v. Gore was bad too.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Because of the accommodation that already exists for religious nonprofits.

No. That is the excuse, but we shouldn't have even gotten to the excuse.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

There's gonna be some serious attempts to get around the restrictions on 'closely held,' or some non-closely-held company will bring suit.

No there's not because it's about one part of one law that only applies if you're self insuring.

If it was an exemption on the ACA entirely maybe, but the effort to put this through will only exist for legitimate crazy people (and no, corporate overlords don't count).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Zeroisanumber posted:

People wonder why I'm excited for President Hillary. Simply speaking, some of these fuckers have to die sometime.

Anyone who says democrats and republicans are the same and you shouldn't vote should be smacked in the face with one of Robert's despicable 5-4's from the last few years.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

evilweasel posted:

No. That is the excuse, but we shouldn't have even gotten to the excuse.

RFRA already applied to nonprofits and HHS didn't argue that that was wrong. I don't see how you can read a split between the two into RFRA.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

quote:

With respect to implications for other kinds of religious-based discrimination, the Court writes that discrimination in hiring will not be permitted under RFRA because "The Government has a compelling interest in providing equal opportunity to participate in the workforce without regard to race, and prohibitions on racial discrimination are precisely tailored to achieve that critical goal." Note that this leave open the question of whether the Government has a similarly compelling interest in preventing discrimination on the basis of sex or sexual orientation. - See more at: http://live.scotusblog.com/Event/Live_blog_of_opinions__June_30_2014#sthash.zZmLbbG8.dpuf
laffo

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Yea that's completely retarded.

But of course its not mentioned because they'd have to explain how contraception totally isn't a women's issue.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

euphronius posted:

It wouldn't really save them any money. Contraception coverage on the margin is cheap and accidental pregnancies can be expensive so insurance companies aren't going to give much of a discount, if any. Hobby Lobby's self-insured so it can do whatever idiotic policies it wants even if it costs them more in practice. That's to say nothing of how an unplanned pregnancy can affect project timelines among other real world consequences.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

So at this point is the Court just banking on the "legalize gay marriage nationwide" decision they'll have either next year or the year after being their legacy and what gets them on everybody's good side again? Because I don't think even that will work. This SCOTUS is awful.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Just popping in to say that yes, this is one of the worst decisions SCOTUS could have handed down. The gymnastics these Conservative justices deploy is quite stunning, really.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

I hate the Roberts court :smith:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Silly Alito, Roberts says racism is dead!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Congress already covered it in Title 7

quote:

APPLICABILITY TO FOREIGN AND RELIGIOUS EMPLOYMENT

SEC. 2000e-1. [Section 702]

(a) Inapplicability of subchapter to certain aliens and employees of religious entities

This subchapter shall not apply to an employer with respect to the employment of aliens outside any State, or to a religious corporation, association, educational institution, or society with respect to the employment of individuals of a particular religion to perform work connected with the carrying on by such corporation, association, educational institution, or society of its activities.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

1337JiveTurkey posted:

It wouldn't really save them any money. Contraception coverage on the margin is cheap and accidental pregnancies can be expensive so insurance companies aren't going to give much of a discount, if any. Hobby Lobby's self-insured so it can do whatever idiotic policies it wants even if it costs them more in practice. That's to say nothing of how an unplanned pregnancy can affect project timelines among other real world consequences.

Yes but what if the sincerely held religious belief of the company is that unionism is evil.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Chris James 2 posted:

So at this point is the Court just banking on the "legalize gay marriage nationwide" decision they'll have either next year or the year after being their legacy and what gets them on everybody's good side again? Because I don't think even that will work. This SCOTUS is awful.

Why do you think the GOP hacks care about their "legacy?" This has been their agenda their entire professional lives and they are carrying it out.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

euphronius posted:

Yes but what if the sincerely held religious belief of the company is that unionism is evil.

Then nothing would happen because this decision is specifically about contraception.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Hey friends, do some protest-donating to your local Planned Parenthood chapters. tia, they needed it anyway. :unsmith:

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

computer parts posted:

Then nothing would happen because this decision is specifically about contraception.

I don't understand how this can be. What justification can there possibly be for limiting it to just contraception?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

computer parts posted:

While this is true today, you honestly don't think these shills will knowingly expand this limitation if they can build a consensus in the future, and use this decision as a justification?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

RFRA already applied to nonprofits and HHS didn't argue that that was wrong. I don't see how you can read a split between the two into RFRA.

Because the RFRA applying to non-profits is an expansion to cover something necessary to achieve Congress's intent. Covering for-profit corporations is not.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Why do you think the GOP hacks care about their "legacy?" This has been their agenda their entire professional lives and they are carrying it out.

Seriously. Roberts was trying to gut the VRA since the 80's when he worked for Reagan and finally was able to enact his dream.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

computer parts posted:

I am sorry I was following a line of posts that included the part where the Circuits will expand this.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

AhhYes posted:

I don't understand how this can be. What justification can there possibly be for limiting it to just contraception?

"Because we said so".

It's a lovely reason but they specifically say it doesn't apply to other religious beliefs (like anti-vaxers or blood transfusions).

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

AhhYes posted:

I'm pretty sure the court's justification is sticking its fingers in its ears and going LALALALALA loudly until people stop asking this.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

AhhYes posted:

Jesus said so.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

euphronius posted:

I am sorry I was following a line of posts that included the part where the Circuits will expand this.

No it wasn't, the quote chain began with you making a dumb hypothetical.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Gun nuts who argue that the right to bear arms protects against a tyrannical government: I see some tyranny right now.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

AhhYes posted:

Could have sworn it was mentioned somewhere that they straight up said there was no compelling interest to cover birth control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

AhhYes posted:

You think that the right-wing five give any fucks about a slippery slope argument?