Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

shock.wav posted:

This can also go horribly wrong. In Buffy The Vampire Slayer (TV) any scenes with Oz' band playing feature Seth Green on guitar, and he looks like he learnt to play the guitar for that role so he didn't appear to be faking when on camera.

The result is a 'professional' band rocking out on stage while the guitarist looks like he's playing Bad Moon Rising at his 6th grade recital.

This worked out well in House MD because Hugh Laurie, like House, actually does play the piano/guitar/harmonica/whathaveyou. He even composed a couple of songs for the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
That kind of thing sounds perfectly reasonable to do, but from a production standpoint and editing standpoint it's actually a nightmare. Entirely not worth it when this way is faster and 99% of people don't even pay attention.

e: ^^^ Yeah if it's an original piece or the actor can actually play it, go for it. But you wouldn't ask an actor to perform his role and perfectly mimic the instrumentation of some song a dozen times for all the coverage you needed.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Action Tortoise posted:

Why is it Thor can see through his bullshit in the cell but not when he's posing as Odin?

His Glamours are not perfect and impenetrable. The comics show that he has a harder time tricking people who know him really well.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Slim Killington posted:

That kind of thing sounds perfectly reasonable to do, but from a production standpoint and editing standpoint it's actually a nightmare. Entirely not worth it when this way is faster and 99% of people don't even pay attention.

e: ^^^ Yeah if it's an original piece or the actor can actually play it, go for it. But you wouldn't ask an actor to perform his role and perfectly mimic the instrumentation of some song a dozen times for all the coverage you needed.

Amadeus managed it :colbert:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The first Robocop does something that's the opposite of one of my pet peeves. Namely, when Robocop is having his flashbacks in his empty house they're all from first person perspective.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
Finally got around to seeing The Raid 2. My father said it was an awesome flick. And I have to agree with my father. I just didn't expect my father to be mentioned so often, even when my father isn't on screen. Which happens to be 98% of the movie. Sure, you're probably thinking, "stfu about your father already" by now. And I wouldn't blame you. Cause that's exactly how I felt half the time Uco said anything.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

In Batman (1989) Vicky Vale is having dinner with Bruce at Wayne Manor. After Alfred leaves she says "He reminds me of my grandfather." emphasizing my, as if Alfred is Bruce's grandfather.
Yes, this is irrational.

Conal Cochran has a new favorite as of 20:28 on Jun 22, 2014

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
So in the most recent Star Trek movie why is Khan running away from Spock at the end? The only people who know he's the wanted criminal are the crew of the Enterprise, I mean, everyone else is fleeing in chaotic terror. Earlier in the film, I thought Khan was basically established as Star Trek's Captain America, I mean it didn't look like a team of three including Spock had any chance of beating him in combat when they showed up on that Klingon outpost or whatever. I guess Spock was animated by :ssj: rage or something, but you'd think Khan would just turn around and whoop his rear end and then make his getaway. They'd just established Khan as such a powerful badass earlier that I figured he could easily take out Spock.
At first I thought maybe Khan was running off to the videogame platforming stage because Spock had a phaser and Khan wanted an opportunity to disarm him, but later on you see Uhura giving him a bunch of phaser blasts to the chest and he's handling it more or less. At least to the point where I'm pretty sure he could've turned around and handled Spock armed with a phaser. I'm not sure what Khan was running from. Is it that he thought they'd manage to beam him up if he stopped to fight and so he needs to stop to fight on a moving platform instead?
Either way it was pretty fun, I was imagining the Sega Genesis game they would've made of the movie back in the day and the really annoying final Khan fight stage that I'd eventually slam my controller down and stop playing because I kept loving up the jump.

As someone not really familiar with Star Trek watching the film, I was also tickled by the fact that their modus operandi seems to be sending their most important officers and top chains of command on dangerous combat missions. I mean it makes sense from a narrative standpoint since we want to see the main characters doing poo poo, but it's pretty hilarious when you think about it. SEND THE CAPTAIN AND HIS FIRST OFFICER DOWN. The ship looked like it had a crew of hundreds, I know the Federation or whatever isn't supposed to be militaristic but don't they have people specializing in combat on each ship that they can send down? :v:

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

muscles like this? posted:

The first Robocop does something that's the opposite of one of my pet peeves. Namely, when Robocop is having his flashbacks in his empty house they're all from first person perspective.

How do you feel about the scene in The Running Man where Arnold watches the doctored footage of him murdering civilians, and the footage switches to a first person perspective partway through?

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Star Trek Into Darkness stuff

The reason Khan tanked the shots from Uhura was they were stun shots, Spock didn't know to hold back, he was trying to kill Khan.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That reminds me of how there are points in movies where the character recalling the events is not present and therefore can't know what was said after they left. Or, like, when a character recalls something that was said by another character when they weren't present, or little logical inconsistencies like that.

I'm still chewing through House MD and they make reference to this in pretty much every episode that's told in frame story format. Most recently, House was talking to his therapist about the patient-of-the-week, and in his story he leaves the room. He tells the therapist that after he left, the rest of his team was commenting on how dumb and inept they are compared to him; and when the therapist asks what they really said, he just makes this "come onnn :smug:" face.

And then it cuts to the real scene where they're poo poo talking how he was wrong about his initial diagnosis of the patient.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 08:58 on Jun 26, 2014

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

This was a thing that really bugged me in Ender's Game. Every time they show the footage of the first Formic war it's the same bit of action movie-style footage, switching perspectives from first to third, rotating and moving all around the place for the third-person parts.

I understand doing it in the intro, but somehow I do not believe that what's basically government footage of the war would be cut and edited like that.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Conal Cochran posted:

In Batman (1989) Vicky Vale is having dinner with Bruce at Wayne Manor. After Alfred leaves she says "He reminds me of my grandfather." emphasizing my, as if Alfred is Bruce's grandfather.
Yes, this is irrational.

One of Joker's goons refers to the the man Vivky Vale is dating as "Some guy named Wayne"

Some guy who's the richest man in the city, a visible public figure, an active philanthropist...

Like "some guy named Zuckerberg", or Gates.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

TheFallenEvincar posted:

So in the most recent Star Trek movie why is Khan but don't they have people specializing in combat on each ship that they can send down? :v:

This bit gets extra funny when you remember that Sulu is the only member of the bridge crew that had close combat training. And it was loving fencing.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Smoke posted:

This was a thing that really bugged me in Ender's Game. Every time they show the footage of the first Formic war it's the same bit of action movie-style footage, switching perspectives from first to third, rotating and moving all around the place for the third-person parts.

I understand doing it in the intro, but somehow I do not believe that what's basically government footage of the war would be cut and edited like that.

I haven't seen the movie, but it was a plot point in the book that the government cut basically all footage that was at all informative from the recordings released to the public.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

Dr_Amazing posted:

I haven't seen the movie, but it was a plot point in the book that the government cut basically all footage that was at all informative from the recordings released to the public.

I am aware of this(I've read the book and it's also mentioned in the movie), it's an issue with the style of filming used for those sequences. Makes for an exciting intro, but it just looks weird as something that can be seen as "official" footage.

Most of it's in the trailer too, the aerial combat sequences.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

One of Joker's goons refers to the the man Vivky Vale is dating as "Some guy named Wayne"

Some guy who's the richest man in the city, a visible public figure, an active philanthropist...

Like "some guy named Zuckerberg", or Gates.

Considering Vale doesnt even recognize him in the statue room its not inconceivable that he isnt that much of a public figure in that universe.

Or his information is literally just "dating a guy named Wayne" and didnt include the bruce part.

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious

Smoke posted:

I am aware of this(I've read the book and it's also mentioned in the movie), it's an issue with the style of filming used for those sequences. Makes for an exciting intro, but it just looks weird as something that can be seen as "official" footage.

Most of it's in the trailer too, the aerial combat sequences.

Also haven't seen the movie, but wasn't the footage available mostly a propaganda piece? Even what was available to students at Command School was really just the same propaganda piece because the government didn't accept that the Formics were a hive mind.

edit: Possibly nevermind, I just reread the posts and you were talking about the first Formic war, not the second. As for multiple points of view for an official piece, how third person was the third person? Directly above and behind, or from from one far away angle zoomed in, or just crazily dynamic camera movement. The first two instances have possible explanations.

Sidenote: Why the hell does everyone paint their fighters white or light gray? It's like they want the enemy to see them. The only people doing it right are the Empire and that one stealth ship in Battlestar Galactica.

Fake edit: Also the Disaster Area stunt ship, but that wasn't a fighter.

May Contain Nuts has a new favorite as of 22:36 on Jun 26, 2014

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

May Contain Nuts posted:

edit: Possibly nevermind, I just reread the posts and you were talking about the first Formic war, not the second. As for multiple points of view for an official piece, how third person was the third person? Directly above and behind, or from from one far away angle zoomed in, or just crazily dynamic camera movement. The first two instances have possible explanations.

Crazily dynamic basically. Here's most of the video. The movie opens with the full version of this sequence, then it's shown again at later moments(once as propaganda in Battle School, which is where the clip is from, and once again near the end)

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Nutsngum posted:

Considering Vale doesnt even recognize him in the statue room its not inconceivable that he isnt that much of a public figure in that universe.

Or his information is literally just "dating a guy named Wayne" and didnt include the bruce part.

Yea that's one thing that always bugged me. When they do the reveal of the Wayne murders it's as if Knox is revealing this unknown information. You'd think that would be the first thing he mentions to Vicky after knowing she's falling for Bruce. The Wayne murders are pretty common knowledge.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

May Contain Nuts posted:

Sidenote: Why the hell does everyone paint their fighters white or light gray? It's like they want the enemy to see them. The only people doing it right are the Empire and that one stealth ship in Battlestar Galactica.

If you're in an atmosphere white and light gray are pretty good choices. Also light pink, but even in atmosphere your first level of detection is not going to be visual. I think that would be more true in space so really more of a stylistic thing. Not a space shooter scientist though.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

May Contain Nuts posted:

I think it was in a Mass Effect codex or some other source that space battles would rely more on sensors detecting heat emissions from enemy crafts before visually seeing the targets because the distance between ships would far exceed our ability to see them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, in ME1 the big thing about the Normandy was its stealth systems. Which just made it so that it didn't have any heat signature, it wasn't actually invisible.

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...

May Contain Nuts posted:

Fake edit: Also the Disaster Area stunt ship, but that wasn't a fighter.

:eng101: In the original radio drama, it was the personal cruiser of the admiral of a Haggunenon battle fleet. So it was part of the vanguard of the eventual battle.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Azran posted:

Wasn't the consultant for that movie obsessed with the idea of the T-Rex being a carrion dinosaur? So he wanted to show that by having a TRUE predator kill the T-Rex. I remember he kind of said "my bad" later on.
For some reason, "T-rex was an obligate scavenger" is a hill Jack Horner is determined to die on, even though it's bullshit and even other paleontologists have called him on it :shrug:

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

parque bynch posted:

:eng101: In the original radio drama, it was the personal cruiser of the admiral of a Haggunenon battle fleet. So it was part of the vanguard of the eventual battle.

The car park and subsequent 'strolling off' with that spaceship is probably one of my favorite bits in the first series. So much lovely :techno: in the ship descriptions.

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious

Smoke posted:

Crazily dynamic basically. Here's most of the video. The movie opens with the full version of this sequence, then it's shown again at later moments(once as propaganda in Battle School, which is where the clip is from, and once again near the end)

Yeah only maybe a quarter of those shots could have been made by on-board cameras, but that video raisers a much more pressing issue to me: Are they fighting in atmosphere? That battle took place 'near Saturn' meaning probably in space. Any atmosphere would have been on Saturn or Titan, neither of which would have a blue sky.

parque bynch posted:

Well if we're getting specific the Haggunenon ships are described as chameleoid, so it wasn't designed to be black. Any intentional coloration would have been opportunistic at the time the ship changed its properties.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

May Contain Nuts posted:

Yeah only maybe a quarter of those shots could have been made by on-board cameras, but that video raisers a much more pressing issue to me: Are they fighting in atmosphere? That battle took place 'near Saturn' meaning probably in space. Any atmosphere would have been on Saturn or Titan, neither of which would have a blue sky.

Saturn actually does/can have a blue sky! :eng101:

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious

Byzantine posted:

Saturn actually does/can have a blue sky! :eng101:

Ok, but does Saturn's blue sky come with fluffy white clouds? :colbert:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something that bugs me about Les Miserables is how Jean Valjean keeps telling Javert that he'll come back and turn himself in and that he's a man of his word but never actually does.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Something that bugs me about Les Miserables is how Jean Valjean keeps telling Javert that he'll come back and turn himself in and that he's a man of his word but never actually does.

Javert refuses his offers, though. Presumably if Javert had said, "alright you have three days" Valjean would have showed up.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I know we've talked to death about obviously fake video game playing in movies and shows, but I recently started watching The Sopranos and the fourth episode has Tony and A.J. playing Mario Kart 64 so horribly wrong I couldn't deal with it.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I know we've talked to death about obviously fake video game playing in movies and shows, but I recently started watching The Sopranos and the fourth episode has Tony and A.J. playing Mario Kart 64 so horribly wrong I couldn't deal with it.

Similar thing: I was bored and watching some crime procedural called The Glades, and an episode had the main character talking to some kid saying he saw him playing X-Plane, then in the same breath saying he can't get to level 10. A few episodes later, and they've gone from referring to it as an xbox 360 to calling it an "Xstation". I assume it had something to do with Microsoft, but it was still strange. Oh, and the same show is ridiculous for advertising the Kia Optima. Girl gets held hostage in one, hostage taker comments on all the amenities. They even took to doing car commercial style shots anytime a Kia Optima was on screen. I mean, there's in-show advertisement, and then there's IN-SHOW ADVERTISEMENT.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
NCIS had them working with someone who had the high score in all the MMOs.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Aleph Null posted:

NCIS had them working with someone who had the high score in all the MMOs.

Amazingly, NCIS has had worse.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Also they are profoundly guilty of "zoom and enhance."

But it's still a very good show.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CJacobs posted:

That reminds me of how there are points in movies where the character recalling the events is not present and therefore can't know what was said after they left. Or, like, when a character recalls something that was said by another character when they weren't present, or little logical inconsistencies like that.

I'm still chewing through House MD and they make reference to this in pretty much every episode that's told in frame story format. Most recently, House was talking to his therapist about the patient-of-the-week, and in his story he leaves the room. He tells the therapist that after he left, the rest of his team was commenting on how dumb and inept they are compared to him; and when the therapist asks what they really said, he just makes this "come onnn :smug:" face.

And then it cuts to the real scene where they're poo poo talking how he was wrong about his initial diagnosis of the patient.

In of the Jaws sequels the shark has flashbacks of getting blown up my Roy Scheider.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

In of the Jaws sequels the shark has flashbacks of getting blown up my Roy Scheider.

It's not the shark, it's Roy Scheider's wife.

But to be fair, she wasn't there, either.

Jaws: The Revenge is just one giant shithole of a movie, though. Worse than Jaws 3D.

First off, we have to somehow accept that the shark in this movie is perhaps a descendant of the one from the first and/or second Jaws, otherwise why else would it have a "shark-grudge" against the Brody family? But then that leaves us asking how a shark can even hold a grudge in the first place, and how it knows who the Brody's are, etc...

And then how dose the shark travel nearly as fast as a plane to get to Florida from New England after the Brody's fly there How does it even know to go there in the first place?! It's "Brody-Sense" can span thousands of miles?

And if a killer shark is stalking them, why don't they just never go back into the loving ocean?

Why does the shark roar like a lion crossed with Godzilla?

Why does it loving explode after being rammed by a piece of wood?

Edit: Cleaned up some stuff.

V V V Second edit: Hey ,you got that in there before my first edit...I'm trying to decide if that makes it better or worse...like, till then, the Jaws franchise was relatively grounded in reality...and why dose this Voodoo Witch Doctor care about killing the Brodys? Was HIS mother the shark from the first one? Half-shark Voodoo Witch Doctor? V V V

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 21:55 on Jun 30, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's not the shark, it's Roy Scheider's wife.

But to be fair, she wasn't there, either.

Jaws: The Revenge is just one giant shithole of a movie.

We have to somehow accept that the shark in this movie is perhaps a descendant of the one from the first and/or second Jaws, so that it can hold a "grudge" against the family of the man who killed it's mom an/or dad. And also, it can somehow "sense" the members of the family.

And then how dose the shark travel nearly as fast as a plane to get to Florida from New England? How does it even know to go there in the first place?!

Why doesn't the family just never go back into the loving ocean? Why does the shark roar like a lion crossed with Godzilla?

Why does it loving explode after being rammed by a piece of wood?

Its all explained in the novelization of the movie - The shark may be acting under the influence of a vengeful voodoo witch doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

DrBouvenstein posted:

Why doesn't the family just never go back into the loving ocean?

They do this, but then Jaws 5 is about the shark's other descendant evolving the ability to travel across dry land.

Jaws 6, they sign up to live on an experimental moon colony. Unfortunately, the shark's clone hitched a ride on the shuttle.