Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

ayn rand hand job posted:

They can't be publicly traded.

RBG seems to dispute that this is the case in her dissent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

evilweasel posted:

It would mean the Court more closely mirrored the other two branches as they exist now, rather than as they existed decades ago.

That makes sense.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Mo_Steel posted:

Ginsburgs dissents are at least a consolation prize for this poo poo sandwich, emphasis in bold is mine:

:glomp:

It ignores the fact that many corporate RFRA claims would having nothing to do with the employees (like a theoretical Jewish butcher affected by a Kosher slaughter ban). Her argument more rightfully applies to the strict scrutiny part.

Emanuel Collective posted:

I'm a little unclear on this point: if RFRA were repealed, would Hobby Lobby still be good law?

No.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

TheReverend posted:

Would Hobby Lobby even be able to buy insurance plans without it? I don't imagine Blue Cross and the rest making a "religious/Hobby Lobby" plan when 99% of the country is mandated to have it.

I'm not arguing a point here I'm just genuinely ignorant to how this would work.

Hobby Lobby self insures so that's not an issue.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Emanuel Collective posted:

I'm a little unclear on this point: if RFRA were repealed, would Hobby Lobby still be good law?

This case is about how the RFRA applies to this situation. Its only based on the law, not the constitution.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

duz posted:

That is an issue because Hobby Lobby almost certainly does not manage their own plan. They just pay for it.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

computer parts posted:

You should go try it.

We should just wait and see how this Ebola thing pans out.

I still think the Supreme Court needs their own version of a 'We the People' petition page, just so Justices can see how completely out of touch they are with most of the country.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

hobbesmaster posted:

This case is about how the RFRA applies to this situation. Its only based on the law, not the constitution.

Thanks. I wasn't sure if the ruling was broad enough to impact the Free Exercise clause too, but I just read this line: "By enacting RFRA, Congress went far beyond what this Court has held is constitutionally required"

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

McDowell posted:

We should just wait and see how this Ebola thing pans out.

I still think the Supreme Court needs their own version of a 'We the People' petition page, just so Justices can see how completely out of touch they are with most of the country.

It doesn't matter if Justices are out of touch, though, because their interpretation of the law should be the same regardless?(Yes, in theory, I know.)

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Gregor Samsa posted:

RBG seems to dispute that this is the case in her dissent.

There are a lot of good parts in there:

quote:

Why should decisions of this order be made by Congress or the regulatory authority, and not this Court? Hobby Lobby and Conestoga surely do not stand alone as commercial enterprises seeking exemptions from generally applicable laws on the basis of their religious beliefs. See, e.g., Newman v. Piggie Park Enterprises, Inc., 256 F. Supp. 941, 945 (SC 1966) (owner of restaurant chain refused to serve black patrons based on his religious beliefs opposing racial integration), aff ’d in relevant part and rev’d in part on other grounds, 377 F. 2d 433 (CA4 1967), aff ’d and modified on other grounds, 390 U. S. 400 (1968); In re Minnesota ex rel. McClure, 370 N. W. 2d 844, 847 (Minn.1985) (born-again Christians who owned closely held, for profit health clubs believed that the Bible proscribed hiring or retaining an “individua[l] living with but not married to a person of the opposite sex,” “a young, single woman working without her father’s consent or a married woman working without her husband’s consent,” and any person “antagonistic to the Bible,” including “fornicatorsand homosexuals” (internal quotation marks omitted)), appeal dismissed, 478 U. S. 1015 (1986); Elane Photography, LLC v. Willock, 2013–NMSC–040, ___ N. M. ___, 309 P. 3d 53 (for-profit photography business owned by a husband and wife refused to photograph a lesbian couple’s commitment ceremony based on the religious beliefs of the company’s owners), cert. denied, 572 U. S. ___ (2014). Would RFRA require exemptions in cases of this ilk? And if not, how does the Court divine which religious beliefs are worthy of accommodation, and which are not? Isn’t the Court disarmed from making such a judgment given its recognition that “courts must not presume to determine . . . the plausibility of a religious claim”? Ante, at 37.

Would the exemption the Court holds RFRA demands for employers with religiously grounded objections to the use of certain contraceptives extend to employers with religiously grounded objections to blood transfusions (Jehovah’s Witnesses); antidepressants (Scientologists); medications derived from pigs, including anesthesia, intravenous fluids, and pills coated with gelatin (certain Muslims, Jews, and Hindus); and vaccinations (Christian Scientists, among others)?31 According to counsel for Hobby Lobby, “each one of these cases . . . would have to be evaluated on its own . . . apply[ing] the compelling interest-least restrictive alternative test.” Tr. of Oral Arg. 6. Not much help there for the lower courts bound by today’s decision.

How should the lower courts look at other religious claims if the Supreme Court is extending religious liberties to for-profit businesses? :shrug: says Supreme Court.

e: More Ginsburg:

quote:

The Court’s determination that RFRA extends to for profit corporations is bound to have untoward effects. Although the Court attempts to cabin its language to closely held corporations, its logic extends to corporations of any size, public or private. Little doubt that RFRA claims will proliferate, for the Court’s expansive notion of corporate personhood—combined with its other errors in construing RFRA—invites for-profit entities to seek religion-based exemptions from regulations they deem offensive to their faith.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 30, 2014

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

duz posted:

Well, it's probably not an issue one way or the other, but it should be noted that "self-insured" doesn't mean "makes up the entirety of their insurance plan". A company that is "self-insured" always (well always as far as I know) still pays an insurance company to do all the work, but doesn't pay for underwriting (except possibly as a stop-loss deal). Thus, the money for your broken leg is ultimately paid out by the employer, who also pays the insurance company for the claims processing, mailing the check, etc.

Anyway in this case it'd be pretty easy for the insurer to devise a plan option to include or not include contraceptives.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Beamed posted:

It doesn't matter if Justices are out of touch, though, because their interpretation of the law should be the same regardless?(Yes, in theory, I know.)

Not really. You can always make an argument that the law is in favor of X, or the law is against X. The law is complex and self-contradictory and lawyers and judges pick and choose what parts of it they pay attention to and make interpretations about what those those parts of the law mean. There is no platonic "right interpretation" of the law that everyone knows (somehow), that's grade-school level fantasy bullshit. Insofar as a small minority of cases exist where the law is indeed so cut and dry, those are the 9-0 rulings, not the 5-4 party-line rulings.

In fact lawyers rather notoriously can always find some basis to make a stand on, even if it's just a last-ditch delaying maneuver.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 30, 2014

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

emfive posted:

Anyway in this case it'd be pretty easy for the insurer to devise a plan option to include or not include contraceptives.

Pretty much, if a company is large enough or will bring in enough premium, insurance companies will design whatever plan setup they want. It's a pretty common thing.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for clarifying the "closely held" part. It seems that a lot of companies could be considered "closely held". Aren't companies like Wal Mart and Best Buy owned by very few people with a relative minority of stock actually owned and traded by other people? Would this law apply to them?

Would a case that found taxes against their religion hold traction with this ruling and be correct in refusing to pay taxes?

Also it bothers me that this court is so lovely and we refer to this court as "The Worst". RBG, Kagan, Breyer, and Sotomoyer have had outstanding dissents in many of these recent cases and are everything right with judicial analysis. The Supreme Court is terrible, but those 4 are pretty kick rear end, particularly RBG.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Well, since the statistics on this confound the issue (because the large majority of incorporated entities are single-person businesses or whatever), can we start ticking off closely-held corporations subject to the ACA to which this decision can actually be applied?

Basically I'm asking for a list of companies I can start giving the evil-eye to. :tough guy:

Edit: they need to be subject to ACA, forgot that

mdemone fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 30, 2014

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Haha Jesus Christ was a terribly reasoned opinion.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Jastiger posted:

Thanks for clarifying the "closely held" part. It seems that a lot of companies could be considered "closely held". Aren't companies like Wal Mart and Best Buy owned by very few people with a relative minority of stock actually owned and traded by other people? Would this law apply to them?

mdemone posted:

Well, since the statistics on this confound the issue (because the large majority of incorporated entities are single-person businesses or whatever), can we start ticking off closely-held corporations to which this decision can actually be applied?

Basically I'm asking for a list of companies I can start giving the evil-eye to. :toughguy:

Fried Chicken posted:

:stare:

gently caress me running, apparently the irs definition of "closely held" covers 90% of all companies in America

http://verdict.justia.com/2014/05/15/lessons-new-mississippi-rfra-shed-light-hobby-lobby-conestoga-wood-cases-pending-supreme-court

Far and away most of these 90% are less than 50 employees, but still

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Sorry, I meant closely-held corporations to which the ACA also applies. :doh:

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Can closely held corporations owned by Jehovah Witnesses stop paying for blood transfusions?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fried Chicken posted:

Far and away most of these 90% are less than 50 employees, but still

Right, but even large corporations with tons of employees...aren't the stocks held either directly or indirectly through a very small cadre of shareholders? SO if there is a massive spike in the price, day traders can make money, but the high ups rake in most of the benefit since they are majority shareholders between them?

I only ask because if that is the case then companies like Hobby Lobby slip through, but so would Walmart, Best Buy, etc. Other LARGE companies could begin to exempt themselves from parts of the law.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ZenVulgarity posted:

Haha Jesus Christ was a terribly reasoned opinion.
Yes, but it's more about the result for them than the process (see also: VRA, Citizens United).

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

John Kruk posted:

Can closely held corporations owned by Jehovah Witnesses stop paying for blood transfusions?

No, this only applies to religious beliefs held by Hobby Lobby and 5 SCOTUS members because reasons

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

John Kruk posted:

They explicitly say no in the decision but I can't see how they could defend the reasoning (of which there is literally none) if challenged.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

silvergoose posted:

And that means the decision doesn't have *insanely* bad consequences, just that the decision itself is incredibly bad in all ways.

So for now we don't have to worry about companies using this BS to justify ignoring other laws?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I only read part of it: do they justify why closely held companies get this exemption?

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

John Kruk posted:

Basically no.

1. The court specifically say that the decision applies only to contraceptives and not blood transfusions (their example). This technically means that the issue is still open, but it's a pretty good sign.
2. The RFRA test failed on the "least restrictive means" provision of the law. There is a separate program set up so that employees of religious employers can get free contraception through a different source - and this is less restrictive on religious beliefs than requiring that the employer cover it. There is no such program set up for blood transfusions, and it may not be practical.

esquilax fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 30, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jastiger posted:

I only ask because if that is the case then companies like Hobby Lobby slip through, but so would Walmart, Best Buy, etc. Other LARGE companies could begin to exempt themselves from parts of the law.

The key thing is also that it only seems to apply to self-insured companies.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes, but it's more about the result for them than the process (see also: VRA, Citizens United).

The lovely reasoning giving an ultimately awful result with nothing really behind it to back it up which can be challenged to open up even dumber opinions.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
So, what the hell is a closely-held corporation? It doesn't seem to mean privately held, so where is the clear distinction? Is there any? God this reads terribly.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Can a corporation go to heaven? Can the Pope excommunicate corporations?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Judakel posted:

So, what the hell is a closely-held corporation? It doesn't seem to mean privately held, so where is the clear distinction? Is there any? God this reads terribly.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3590854&perpage=40&pagenumber=55#post431570724

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

Can a corporation go to heaven? Can the Pope excommunicate corporations?

Sounds like a job for Pope Francis.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

I've read that vasectomies are still covered for men, but does anyone have any information on whether or not Hobby Lobby would cover tubal ligation?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Thank you! It still seems like such an arbitrary distinction, but at least there is now a clear line.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

redcheval posted:

I've read that vasectomies are still covered for men, but does anyone have any information on whether or not Hobby Lobby would cover tubal ligation?

Covering vasectomies was never a requirement, though most companies do cover it (usually with a copay though). Tubal ligation is required to be covered and they did not mention it in the court case, so more than likely they are covering it.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

quote:

It is HHS’s apparent belief that no insurance-coverage mandate would violate RFRA—no matter how significantly it impinges on the religious liberties of employers—that would lead to intolerable consequences. Under HHS’s view, RFRA would permit the Government to require all employers to provide coverage for any medical procedure allowed by law in the jurisdiction in question—for instance, third-trimester abortions or assisted suicide. The owners of many closely held corporations could not in good conscience provide such coverage, and thus HHS would effectively exclude these people from full participation in the economic life of the Nation. RFRA was enacted to prevent such an outcome."

I really like the examples used.

John Kruk posted:

quote:

In any event, our decision in these cases is concerned solely with the contraceptive mandate. Our decision should not be understood to hold that an insurance-coverage mandate must necessarily fall if it conflicts with an employer’s religious beliefs. Other coverage requirements, such as immunizations, may be supported by different interests (for example, the need to combat the spread of infectious diseases) and may involve different arguments about the least restrictive means of providing them.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

esquilax posted:

Covering vasectomies was never a requirement, though most companies do cover it (usually with a copay though). Tubal ligation is required to be covered and they did not mention it in the court case, so more than likely they are covering it.

Great, thank you!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

FilthyImp posted:

Sounds like a job for Pope Francis.

He already excommunicated the Mafia so multinational corporations wouldn't be too different.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

esquilax posted:

Basically no.

1. The court specifically say that the decision applies only to contraceptives and not blood transfusions (their example). This technically means that the issue is still open, but it's a pretty good sign.
2. The RFRA test failed on the "least restrictive means" provision of the law. There is a separate program set up so that employees of religious employers can get free contraception through a different source - and this is less restrictive on religious beliefs than requiring that the employer cover it. There is no such program set up for blood transfusions, and it may not be practical.

This is good, because an employer denying someone blood transfusions would give that employer too much power over an employee's life. Also, if someone had the misfortune of working for an employer who was a Scientologist, forget psychiatric care. Of course, restricting women's access to contraceptives also gives an employer too much power over their employee's life. Women use contraceptives for more than preventing pregnancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
So the Roberts court has Bush v Gore, Citizens United, VRA, and now this abortion of a ruling.

I mean any of those taken on their own aren't as bad as Dred Scott, Plessy v. Ferguson, or Korematsu v. United States, but combined I think it's fair to say that Roberts has been the worst Chief Justice of all time.