Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

dj_clawson posted:

I would just plan to cheat behind Tenzin's back.

If the Shaolin Kung Fu flicks I watched as a kid are any indication, it happened all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

dj_clawson posted:

I would just plan to cheat behind Tenzin's back.
Kai knows what's up.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Superstring posted:

Gotta admit. The vegetarian thing would give me pause.

He really did sell it poorly. He could have told them that they'd be able to wander the world as awesome nomads who could fly and commune with the spirits and other cool poo poo oh and you can't eat meat b/c spiritual reasons.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Does anyone have a screencap of Ryu, the goony airbender?

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Skybison Burgers.

Naw, they're like regular burgers but a little gamey and $4 more.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Superstring posted:

If the Shaolin Kung Fu flicks I watched as a kid are any indication, it happened all the time.

I actually know a bunch of Buddhist monks and nuns who try to be vegetarian, but they end up cheating, either out of hunger or desperately needing more protein/iron in their diet.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

dj_clawson posted:

Naw, they're like regular burgers but a little gamey and $4 more.

If my burger could float to me before I eat it, it's worth the price hike.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Can you imagine what a skybison slaughterhouse would be like.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Just watched the first two episodes. Bolin's grandma speech was funnier than anything I'd seen out of Korra in previous seasons and all of the bending was really good. I'm excited to watch the rest of this season.

Also the new airbenders who don't already have an entrenched life should jump at the opportunity. The skybison line would have gotten me immediately.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

nutranurse posted:

Can you imagine what a skybison slaughterhouse would be like.

The tiny cages and mandatory shaving makes this idea tedious and inane.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I am sure you could train someone to simply bend the meat out of any creature on an industrial scale.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

DrSunshine posted:

I am sure you could train someone to simply bend the meat out of any creature on an industrial scale.

Get some Firebenders in on it too and you could sell the meat pre-cooked.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Man, I cannot wait until the final fight where Korra rips Mecha Kaiju Spirit Amon's spine out and crushes it in her fist. :allears:

:black101:RULES:black101:
:supaburn:OF:supaburn:
:ssj:BENDING:ssj:

:rock:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

dj_clawson posted:

On Tenzin and airbending: I know this had to had to happen the way it did for plot/character reasons, but Tenzin really could have sold airbending school much better.

"Hi! I see you have a power you currently can't control. Well, it turns out I'm the only airbending teacher on the planet, so why don't you come to my temple for a couple months, all expenses paid, and I'll show you how to properly airbend so you can use it in your life without destroying everything around you?"

That's how cults get people in.

I'm just disappointed that in that sequence we didn't have him do the marble spinning trick to try and impress people about airbending

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel

Fried Chicken posted:

I'm just disappointed that in that sequence we didn't have him do the marble spinning trick to try and impress people about airbending

Nah, that would convert anyone. When Aang pulled it the first time someone passed out in awe.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm going to be honest: when Kai launched into his orphan story, I was waiting for him to get to the part where his parents were killed by firebenders. :v:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Sydin posted:

I'm going to be honest: when Kai launched into his orphan story, I was waiting for him to get to the part where his parents were killed by firebenders. :v:

That they weren't is perhaps the biggest indicator that this season wont be weird and terrible.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Pfft, the fact that he didn't say his parents were killed by firebenders was the biggest indication that he was lying.

I like how the little play they put on with Mako the firebending villain was probably hella racist by this world's standards.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

BrianWilly posted:

Pfft, the fact that he didn't say his parents were killed by firebenders was the biggest indication that he was lying.

I like how the little play they put on with Mako the firebending villain was probably hella racist by this world's standards.

A man from the crowd shouts "Hey! That's offensive! Some of my best friends are firebenders!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

A man from the crowd shouts "Hey! That's offensive! Some of my best friends are firebenders!"

Only three of them murdered someone's parents!

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Just watched the first three episodes and I'm not too hot on this season's villains being the Legion of Doom. C'mon, the last season ended with the manifestation of evil in the universe being defeated. A quartet of benders each with specialized bending in one of the elements doesn't seem nearly that bad. At least the evil water bender doesn't appear to be a blood bender, yet!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I've always liked how the firebenders running around killing everyone's families were just in backtories, too, since the actual main villains of Books 1 and 2 were waterbenders, and the leader of the villains in Book 3 is an airbender.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

AlmightyPants posted:

Just watched the first three episodes and I'm not too hot on this season's villains being the Legion of Doom. C'mon, the last season ended with the manifestation of evil in the universe being defeated. A quartet of benders each with specialized bending in one of the elements doesn't seem nearly that bad. At least the evil water bender doesn't appear to be a blood bender, yet!

This isn't Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, we're not going to get Super Saiyan Giant Korra throwing planets at God or whatever just because they decided that the manifestation of evil in the world was a great idea for a mere season 2 villain.

e: at least I hope not

Four Score fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jun 30, 2014

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
So tumblr is good for stuff sometimes :the goony airbender is based the producer at least in looks. From some of the tumblr posts attached to it they're having fun poking at him saying it's not too far off from reality as far as personality.

http://michaeldantedimartino.tumblr.com/post/90127458900/its-the-real-life-ryu-the-scene-with-ryu-voiced

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I liked this better than season 2 so far, but man I hate that airbender kid. The whole "lovable scamp who just can't keep himself from stealing and scamming and gets everyone into trouble" thing is a trope I just can't deal with.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Well now he's going to be a brainwashed child soldier*

*I haven't seen the leaked episodes

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Count me in as a returning season-2 despairer looking forward to more Season three after seeing the first three episodes last night (I was out of town all weekend; rule number one why you don't release new seasons in the summer, people Got poo poo To Do(tm)).

The Korra/Asami/Mako stuff seemed a bit forced/too 'see guys we totally heard you down with teen drama everyone's okay with everyone and Mako's a socially-awkward retard now girl power!' but as long as its over I'm cool with it. Liked Bolin's grandma speech to get Mako on board, liked even more it turned out to be prophetic.

Hated Bumi's stupid sweater, spirit pet, falling into airbending schtick. Hate that he's a fiftysomething year old still acting like he's 12. Go away, Bumi, you are not funny (ok, the line about how being stuffed into a sack and kidnapped is how they got him to join the Navy was good. More of that understated stuff, less GOOFY ANIME FACE SWEATER-MAKING SPIRIT-BOO shenanigans).

Baby throwing up on Kaya schtick tired and played out. At least she used water bending to clean up the mess.

Earth kingdom shaping up to be interesting. Kai is borderline annoying. Gotta agree with whoever said Dowager Empress is the template. Also they said she's the daughter of the Earth King in ATLA for those wondering. Hope she's got a bit more shrewdness under the stereotypical shrill evil old lady exterior.

Bad guys are looking quite awesome. Good to see Zuko again; voice is just bleh though. Could hear that elevator line delivery in Dante Basco's voice and it worked much better. They could have at least gotten someone who sounded like they'd gargled gravel for 100 years to match up wtih that aspect of the voice Basco gave him if he (admittedly) sounded too young for the role.

Also agree with previous poster who said the CGI was jarring. Airships, Korra manipulating the falling building after trying and failing to purify the vines away, it was all just glaring as all poo poo. Other little details look solid though.

I think the spirit/airbender stuff is all connected and will come into play later in the series, I don't think they're ignoring it so much as Korra is just throwing her hands up in the air after giving it the old college try and going to do something she CAN be successful at (recruiting new airbenders). I also think it's most prevalent in Republic City because that's where the big fight went down, and will probably also be pretty prevalent at the poles and then slowly spread from there into the wider world and that's how it'll come into play later.

Anyway, the first three eps having left me wanting more and filled with hope that this is going to be a good season. The art (apart from the the cgi) is stellar, the characterization is much better, and the gang seems much more unified and mature. Which is good, because the bad guys seem to be unified and mature and have very concrete goals in mind.

One of the things I noticed was they kept saying they hadn't had any visitors in 13 years. What happened thirteen years ago? Was that when Korra was discovered to be the new Avatar? Or when Aang died? Could these guys have had something to do with Aang's death? Do we know for sure how he died? I'm pretty sure it wasn't entirely natural but I don't remember and don't want to go poking around because spoilers for the next three episodes are everywhere.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Aang would have died right when Korra was born 17 years ago.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rincewind posted:

Aang would have died right when Korra was born 17 years ago.

So they probably made an attempt on her life when she was 4 (maybe they're former White Lotus) and then got locked up.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Oracle posted:

Hated Bumi's stupid sweater, spirit pet, falling into airbending schtick. Hate that he's a fiftysomething year old still acting like he's 12. Go away, Bumi, you are not funny (ok, the line about how being stuffed into a sack and kidnapped is how they got him to join the Navy was good. More of that understated stuff, less GOOFY ANIME FACE SWEATER-MAKING SPIRIT-BOO shenanigans).

I agree with this 1000%. Of all the disappointments in Korra, I think Bumi is the biggest. I guess when he was described as a wild man and the bravest commander you'll ever see in season 1, they actually meant that he's a man-child who can't go three seconds without having some kind of 'hilarious' pratfall. Is this character popular with the younger demographic or something? I can't believe they keep giving him larger roles while characters that are actually interesting only show up relatively sparingly.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Oracle posted:

One of the things I noticed was they kept saying they hadn't had any visitors in 13 years. What happened thirteen years ago? Was that when Korra was discovered to be the new Avatar? Or when Aang died? Could these guys have had something to do with Aang's death? Do we know for sure how he died? I'm pretty sure it wasn't entirely natural but I don't remember and don't want to go poking around because spoilers for the next three episodes are everywhere.

Aang died sixteen or seventeen years ago, depending on Korra's current age. However, she was a toddler when the White Lotus found her, so that could work. Also, I am pretty sure that they said Aang died die of natural cause at a ratehr young age, due to being stuck in the ice for 100 years.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

First Bass posted:

This isn't Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, we're not going to get Super Saiyan Giant Korra throwing planets at God or whatever just because they decided that the manifestation of evil in the world was a great idea for a mere season 2 villain.

e: at least I hope not

I would have preferred that to the real season 2 honestly

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Level Slide posted:

Well now he's going to be a brainwashed child soldier*

*I haven't seen the leaked episodes

I haven't seen the leaked episodes either. I predict Kai will end up just like Jet.

"Did he just die?"

"You know, it was very unclear."

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

e X posted:

Also, I am pretty sure that they said Aang died die of natural cause at a ratehr young age, due to being stuck in the ice for 100 years.

I don't recall them saying that in the show, and even if they did, they could be covering it up, since they're already established the paparazzi as a thing that loves to sell a negative story and it wouldn't get much worse than "Assassins Actually Assassinate Avatar". So it makes sense that his death remains somewhat unclear at this point, and won't be relevant until they need it to be.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm not sure how I feel about Kai yet. It depends on when he goes, but I don't dislike him that much. He's sort of hilariously shameless which I appreciate but he could easily wander off into annoying-town real quickly.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about Kai yet. It depends on when he goes, but I don't dislike him that much. He's sort of hilariously shameless which I appreciate but he could easily wander off into annoying-town real quickly.
I get the feeling getting thrown in prison training camp will be his wake up call. Just a thought.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
not reading the thread yet but I am still waiting for them to put the episodes on nick.com. they were really good about it in book 2, but are they gonna do a "air a new episode, put last week's up online the day after" format? I just want to watch it on my terms is all

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I get the feeling getting thrown in prison training camp will be his wake up call. Just a thought.

A wake up call does not preclude him getting annoying as hell.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

ImpAtom posted:

A wake up call does not preclude him getting annoying as hell.

Jinora needs to be kept occupied now that she isn't a weirdo spirit loner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Sithsaber posted:

Jinora needs to be kept occupied now that she isn't a weirdo spirit loner.

Now she can be a weirdo spirit 12 year old in love.

• Locked thread