Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

matrix ripoff posted:

Speaking of which, is it possible to buy a replacement stylus for the gamepad? I tried using a 3DS stylus, and it fits, but it's juuuust small enough to make it a pain to dig out of the gamepad.

This is one of the very minor things that annoys me about Nintendo. The charging connectors for the 3DS XL and Gamepad are just different enough to be incompatible. Same for the stylus'. I wonder if they have a rationale for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

SyHopeful posted:

This is one of the very minor things that annoys me about Nintendo. The charging connectors for the 3DS XL and Gamepad are just different enough to be incompatible. Same for the stylus'. I wonder if they have a rationale for that.

If history is any indication, Nintendo LOVES making money on peripherals.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Fremry posted:

It reminds of all the stupid proprietary cell phone charging ports in the pre-smartphone days. SO happy that most phones today are all on MicroUSB.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

SyHopeful posted:

Oh, even the stylus is different? I can't wait until I lose mine! Even the OG DS, DS Lite, and 3DS have slightly different stylus'. They did this poo poo on purpose. It's been the same drat thing for 10 years now, why bother changing it in manufacturing?

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

enojy posted:

Oh, even the stylus is different? I can't wait until I lose mine! Even the OG DS, DS Lite, and 3DS have slightly different stylus'.

Charging ports too :suicide:

E: the DS Fat's stylus is comically small and cheap. I still have mine and can't help but chuckle every time I use it.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Fremry posted:

Man, I am so glad consoles now come with built-in storage and can use USB thumb drives if you need more. I hated memory cards with a passion during the PS1/N64 and PS2/GCN/Xbox eras. "Oh you want to save the game? Better pony up the cash!" :shepspends:

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Starhawk64 posted:

Man, I am so glad consoles now come with built-in storage and can use USB thumb drives if you need more. I hated memory cards with a passion during the PS1/N64 and PS2/GCN/Xbox eras. "Oh you want to save the game? Better pony up the cash!" :shepspends:

Or the PSP :lol:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

SyHopeful posted:

Or the PSP :lol:

Or even the loving Vita.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

Or even the loving Vita.

As if anyone cares about the Vita.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

SyHopeful posted:

For the charging adapters, the gamepad power brick outputs at a slightly higher voltage (4.6v vs. 4.75v)and higher current (900ma vs. 1600ma). I suppose they aimed for a specific rate of charge for the gamepad and didn't want to leave any ability for someone to plug in another adapter that would affect this. Also to reduce the ability of someone claiming that their gamepad charger fried their 3DS or something.

At least every portable since the DSi has used the exact same charger. :shobon:

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Ziddar posted:

For the charging adapters, the gamepad power brick outputs at a slightly higher voltage (4.6v vs. 4.75v)and higher current (900ma vs. 1600ma). I suppose they aimed for a specific rate of charge for the gamepad and didn't want to leave any ability for someone to plug in another adapter that would affect this. Also to reduce the ability of someone claiming that their gamepad charger fried their 3DS or something.

At least every portable since the DSi has used the exact same charger. :shobon:

Thanks for the info! I assumed there was some rationale for that.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Does anyone know which ports the Wii U needs to be open? I swear it's impossible to google...

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
443 & 3074

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Thanks. 3074 is required by by Xbox 360 too though, how do I work around that?

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
For Wii games with restricted save copying, Brawl is one of them.

Wii homebrew lets you export/import any save though, so I imagine the same can be done on the Wii U's Wii mode.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Dr. Dos posted:

Wii homebrew lets you export/import any save though, so I imagine the same can be done on the Wii U's Wii mode.

That requires an exploit not possible on Wii U's Wii mode, I believe.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Dr. Dos posted:

That sucks, but at the same time, lets you experience the fun of playing through the game to unlock content again. :v:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Do system updates always take this long, or have i managed to do something wrong in the 5 minutes since I turned the thing on?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Pomp posted:

Do system updates always take this long, or have i managed to do something wrong in the 5 minutes since I turned the thing on?

Sometimes they just take a while

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Just the first one really. After that they're going to download and install in the background from now on.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Mr. Neutron posted:

I've never heard of someone having issues with Xbox and port forwarding.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

noirstronaut posted:

His link should go directly to it on desktop (no idea why YouTube doesn't allow it on mobile) but it's around 3:09.

For some reason it didn't work on my desktop, either. Thanks.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Mr. Neutron posted:

Get a router that's not garbage and can forward each device seperately

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

greatn posted:

No. I've missed five, but reading over them, I remember getting them. My problem is I'm combining multiple play throughs in my memory. I'm going to have to check one by one. I checked about seven where I wasn't completely sure and ended up with two more pieces, the rest I WAS sure on but I'll have to check them one by one manually now.

Semi-related, I just had to do this for Metroid Prime 2 in my current Trilogy playthrough. I was missing one god drat missile expansion, so I started visiting each site personally, until I got to the last one, which was the missile I left in a pretty easy spot to find so I knew where the absolute last one would be. Guess that turned out pretty well... Anyway it was in Torvus Bog, the worst environment in that game.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I keep going over the list and can't make sense of it. No way I missed five of these. I must have left a heart in a boss room somewhere for some reason and actually have only one piece left.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Pomp posted:

Do system updates always take this long, or have i managed to do something wrong in the 5 minutes hours since I turned the thing on?

No, that is a normal time frame for Wii U updates.

I picked up Raymond Legends on sale on the eShop and I can't believe how polished this game is, totally worth the $20. I was surprised when I saw this game come up on Steam, I suppose only the Wii U version has the touch-enabled levels? I really like those levels :3:

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
So I know this is mentioned in the OP and probably asked a lot, but I have a question about quitting downloads.

Is it really possible to brick a Wii U by shutting it off while anything is downloading (System update, game update, or game in general)? I understand why it would happen during the installation process of a system update, but I hate feeling anxious and paranoid any time my Wii U is downloading.... anything at all :(

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Bass Bottles posted:

So I know this is mentioned in the OP and probably asked a lot, but I have a question about quitting downloads.

Is it really possible to brick a Wii U by shutting it off while anything is downloading (System update, game update, or game in general)? I understand why it would happen during the installation process of a system update, but I hate feeling anxious and paranoid any time my Wii U is downloading.... anything at all :(

Not while downloading, no. I'm not sure if Nintendo marks it one process though (I don't remember when I updated my Wii U) but if it's just one singular thing between downloading and installing, you'll never know when it's doing either or and that will create a risk.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Bass Bottles posted:

Nope! I was downloading Pikmin 3 from the Mario Kart 8 promo, and it had issues probably cause my internet was choking at the time, but I just turned it on later and it picked right back up.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Ultigonio posted:

Here's a rough preview as to what the new F.A.Q. will look like. It'll be divided by topic, and each question will have a "number." Since I realized that some questions may fit in multiple different sections, numbering these questions gives a way to make the answer easy to find for whoever is looking for it while not sacrificing overall organization. In this example, section III is the "New Owner" section of the FAQ. Naturally, a new owner wants to know what kind of controllers they should be picking up, but it's arguably a question that fits better in the Controller section. Each section has a small-sized graphic header (for style and spacing), followed by a numbered, titled, and bolded text header (for function). If anyone has any ideas, suggestions, or critique, I'm all ears. The full F.A.Q. should be done pretty soon, at which point I'll post it for feedback, but I wanted to get some feedback on the general ideas present before I put too much time into some of these elements.

Nice, Ultigonio! Definitely like the controller compatibility chart, I hope there will be more opportunities to graphically display information like that. For the questions though, rather than having questions that direct to other questions just having a good table of contents should take care of that. If people know there's a section specifically for controller questions, but don't look there, then it's their own drat fault.

Though it's technically redundant with the compatibility chart, it might be worthwhile to point out you do need to separately get a Wii Remote for Wii games in the "What extra controllers will I need?" question. For the Wii U though you don't actually need any controllers besides the GamePad, so it might be better to say "want" instead of "need."

Mr. Neutron posted:

Does anyone know which ports the Wii U needs to be open? I swear it's impossible to google...

Pomp posted:

greatn posted:

Just the first one really. After that they're going to download and install in the background from now on.

These both seem like good Q&A things as well. I can vouch for the latter, went shopping during the initial update - it was done when I came back and I haven't had to wait for any other updates after that.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

noirstronaut posted:

Not while downloading, no. I'm not sure if Nintendo marks it one process though (I don't remember when I updated my Wii U) but if it's just one singular thing between downloading and installing, you'll never know when it's doing either or and that will create a risk.

It does say specifically if it's downloading or installing, actually. So that's a relief.

I wouldn't purposefully turn it off, anyway. I'm just stupidly paranoid about a random power outage at a bad moment.

bladeworksmaster posted:

Nope! I was downloading Pikmin 3 from the Mario Kart 8 promo, and it had issues probably cause my internet was choking at the time, but I just turned it on later and it picked right back up.

Sweet. :)

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 1, 2014

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Well poo poo. I got my refurbished Wii U in, but I have an issue: after I sync my gamepad, the picture does ths vertical roll thing. The weird thing is, before the pad syncs its fine. The startup logo and the screen where you input the card suits to sync the pad is fine. Once that happens I get a jittery mess. Anyone run into this issue, or am I going to have to send this drat thing back?

I'd call Nintendo Support, but of course UPS ran late and dropped it off right before they closed for the day.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bass Bottles posted:

It does say specifically if it's downloading or installing, actually. So that's a relief.

I wouldn't purposefully turn it off, anyway. I'm just stupidly paranoid about a random power outage at a bad moment.

Sweet. :)

I also lost gamepad connection no less than 5 times while I was installing the initial system update, which stopped the whole thing. All that happened was it rolled back a few %, and continued from there. Gamepad disconnects also cleared up as soon as the update finished, by the way.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That was the first update they had where the gamepad itself was getting a firmware update. Mine failed too a couple of times, but each time just went back a couple percent like you said. I guess updating the gamepad is a little rough. Wish they had added a "menu/info" and "record" button to the cable remote though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Was there an update?

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Zonekeeper posted:

Well poo poo. I got my refurbished Wii U in, but I have an issue: after I sync my gamepad, the picture does ths vertical roll thing. The weird thing is, before the pad syncs its fine. The startup logo and the screen where you input the card suits to sync the pad is fine. Once that happens I get a jittery mess. Anyone run into this issue, or am I going to have to send this drat thing back?

I'd call Nintendo Support, but of course UPS ran late and dropped it off right before they closed for the day.

Update: I tried updating the console to see if that would fix it and it only made things worse. Now I'm getting weird flashing patterns and lines with no discernable picture at all. Guess I got a dud. :(

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zonekeeper posted:

Update: I tried updating the console to see if that would fix it and it only made things worse. Now I'm getting weird flashing patterns and lines with no discernable picture at all. Guess I got a dud. :(

Condolences potential wii u gamer. May Nintendo repay you for these frustrating times.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't think having to poo poo halfway through a round of Mario Kart and being able to just poke the screen and keep playing would be the highlight of my week, but whelp here we are.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

bef posted:

Condolences potential wii u gamer. May Nintendo repay you for these frustrating times.

The worst part is that I've had Mario Kart 8, Mario 3D World, and DK Tropical freeze sitting on my shelf for the past week (Target deal) begging me to play them. Having the drat thing finally arrive and be a dud made it hurt worse. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Got my refurb today and had an overall positive experience. Mario Kart controls quite well with the Wiimote + nunchuck, and I'm kind of regretting ordering two pro controllers from playasia instead of just getting two more Wiimote refurb combos from Nintendo. Perhaps I won't feel that way when they arrive.

Also, in all my time playing a Wii Sports back in the day I NEVER knocked down all 100 pins in the bowling challenge. I got the Wii U for my significant other who isn't that into games and ended up getting TWO strikes on the 100 pin game in Wii Sports Resort. I got one too, but it definitely set the right mood and made it more pleasant to move on to a more complicated game like MK8.

• Locked thread