Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lothar_
Sep 11, 2001

Don't Date Robots!

Chantilly Say posted:

Special rule for this thread only.

Okay, but let's not let this spread. Much of the world's GDP relies on rage and the clicks they generate, to say nothing of psychiatric drugs prescribed to control ragefits. If folks start apologizing everywhere on the Internet, whole industries will be ruined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Radium infused paints used to be an industry.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I think a lot of comedians can be conservative and just leave it out of their act. It's not like every comedian is outright pushing progressive ideas with every bit. Sometimes it's just goofy slice of life, apolitical poo poo.

Whenever people bring up conservative comedians they bring up comedians who make their whole bit about being conservative which of course that's not funny.

lothar_ posted:

:stonk: You can't do that on the Internet!

R mute is a reasonable dude.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Conservative comedians aren't comedians, they're just guys who become popular because they say a lot of racist things with a funny look on their face.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Can we just redirect Fishmech's posts to a gaschamber thread again? There's threads here where 1/3 of a page is just JERK DETECTED.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

SedanChair posted:

Conservative comedians aren't comedians, they're just guys who become popular because they say a lot of racist things with a funny look on their face.

Clarkson is hilarious until it sets in that he's not a character created to take the piss out of people like him.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Can we just redirect Fishmech's posts to a gaschamber thread again? There's threads here where 1/3 of a page is just JERK DETECTED.

I don't think that's what this thread is for.

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 30, 2014

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I only enjoy ideologically correct media.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Much like embedding music into threads, I believe that's no longer an option.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

XyloJW posted:

Good comedy punches up, etc.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Chantilly Say posted:

Clarkson is hilarious until it sets in that he's not a character created to take the piss out of people like him.
most of it is an act, really. his actual views are like an even worse version of a tory, but most of his rants and columns are just pure batches of cynicism aimed at the frothing audience of the sun et al. i guess laughing about the pc police and about the gays is easier than saying that all poors should be shot and that britain should be more like america. it's a shame, really, because top gear used to feel more like three idiots being idiots (and also the occasional car) but i feel like his persona has been gobbling up more and more of the show. even in contrast to the old bits they did, it all just feels forced now. shame.

XyloJW posted:

same. the only show worth watching is the one where a rotating head of stalin reads the scum manifesto

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

XyloJW posted:

Top Gear is legitimately one of the best shows Britain's ever produced, and Clarkson is legitimately quite funny. He's just also a twit, and sometimes the two things meet.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Jeremy Clarkson needs other people to play off of, or else he's insufferable. He's funny on Top Gear, he's funny in a couple of game/chat shows I've seen where he's with other comedians, but his written columns and solo acts (that I've seen anyway) are bleah.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SedanChair posted:

I don't know much about Clarkson because I don't give two shits about cars and I only watch BBC for TNG reruns, but holy hell his teeth look like something you'd expect from a racist caricature of a British person.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
does anyone have any booze recommendations to cope with today's supreme court rulings :twisted:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
For those who don't want to wade through the SCotUS thread, what happened?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Hobby Lobby won and everybody keeping up with the scotus thread pretended they wouldn't win now reacting to them winning.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Who What Now posted:

"Closely held" (i.e. private, majority ownership) corporations whose owners have strong religious beliefs about contraception cannot be forced to provide it to employees if they manage employee health insurance.

This ruling does not apply to vaccines or blood transfusions because Justice Kennedy thinks that people with those religious beliefs are nutty.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

R. Mute posted:

same. the only show worth watching is the one where a rotating head of stalin reads the scum manifesto

*invites beautiful woman back to his apartment, turns down the lights, pours some fine wine, puts on a record of traditional Khmer folk songs as played by the survivors of the Cambodian genocide.*

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Also unions of government workers aren't allowed to demand money from non-members for collective bargaining purposes, I think. Something bad for public sector unions at any rate.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Nonsense posted:

Hobby Lobby won and everybody keeping up with the scotus thread pretended they wouldn't win now reacting to them winning.
"hmm surely the american supreme court will do the right thing" - some goons in 2014 somehow

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I think we should move to a new planet.

One with dinosaurs.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

SedanChair posted:

Good comedy punches up, etc.

actually, good comedy is funny

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

forbidden lesbian posted:

Yeah the whole "comedy punches up" thing is a silly trope. Plenty of good comedy is mean spirited or just doesn't punch up or down, it's irrelevant.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

That explains why no one ever calls your posts good.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

actually, good comedy does punch up *uppercuts you and laughs*

but really though *serious face* jokes need to be funny

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

XyloJW posted:

Yeah the whole "comedy punches up" thing is a silly trope. Plenty of good comedy is mean spirited or just doesn't punch up or down, it's irrelevant.

Assuming by good comedy you mean comedy that accomplished the goal of being comic or funny and not comedy that is ideologically correct. Because if that's your definition of good comedy, boy howdy does Daily Kos have some knee slappers.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I wish I could be funny.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Joementum posted:

This ruling does not apply to vaccines or blood transfusions because Justice Kennedy thinks that people with those religious beliefs are nutty.

Is this stated somewhere in the decision? It'd be fun to point out how some religions are considered more legitimate than others by the federal government.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Only just noticed this thread. Finally, somewhere to tell people to gently caress off to when they argue in the UKMT for several pages over something utterly loving banal.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

XyloJW posted:

Well mod opinions like this sure does provide insight into why GBS is "lol niggers and faggots and kikes".

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

nutranurse posted:

Well mod opinions like this sure does provide insight into why GBS is "lol niggers and faggots and kikes".

GBS is terrible, but they're right.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

nutranurse posted:

Yes if only we punished for that, repeatedly and often.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
GBS rules get owned you crybaby dorks.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Are there actually any popular right leaning comedians? The only one I can think of is Jeff Dunham, and everybody seem to hate him.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

e X posted:

Are there actually any popular right leaning comedians? The only one I can think of is Jeff Dunham, and everybody seem to hate him.
i don't know how popular they are, but larry the cable guy and his ilk?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Victoria Jackson is running for Williamson Country Tennessee Commissioner this year, so we'll get a numerical gauge of her popularity in at least one region.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

XyloJW posted:

*invites beautiful woman back to his apartment, turns down the lights, pours some fine wine, puts on a record of traditional Khmer folk songs as played by the survivors of the Cambodian genocide.*

It's tough, kid, but it's life.
(In honor of your avatar)

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Joementum posted:

Victoria Jackson is running for Williamson Country Tennessee Commissioner this year, so we'll get a numerical gauge of her popularity in at least one region.
i've never heard of her but it does lead me to the following question: do people actually consider saturday night live to be funny? i mean, i've only seen clips, but it always seems like they have a bland joke and then stretch that joke into a ten minute sketch.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
The punch-up/punch down thing mostly comes into play with the unfunny "STRONG TAKE masquerading as joke". When those come from a liberal it is just boring or irritating. When they come from a conservative it is often stomach-turning.

edit: Just got peek into future: Coulter's next column is going to be why conservatives are more funny than liberals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
There are a lot of bad SNL sketches, but then there are a lot of really good ones.

Victoria Jackson is incredibly crazy and dumb. I think I heard that they thought that was her "character" when they hired her.

• Locked thread