Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dynamic Cloth Technology
This poll is closed.
Dynamic 18 18.56%
Cloth 58 59.79%
Technology 21 21.65%
Total: 97 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

soggybagel posted:

Haha. Dude. I'm just loving with you guys. Sorry if that wasn't clear. If it wasn't clear I'm on the side of the consumer. EA has hosed around too long on this series and I reported it as such. Don't buy this game.

You baaaaaaaastard! :argh: I totally read it as all seriousposting by you combined with my utter contempt for EA's business model = fell for your puppet master.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

soggybagel posted:

Also something that was funny and has been in recent games across the EA board is the weird collision physics. SO say a guy goes down to block a shot or say he fell when he got checked. Another skater who tries to skate over the fallen guy will trip and kind of fall in that weird sort of too slow to be real body rag doll fall and it looks loving stupid. As it does in recent FIFA games and the past NHL games.

Or you check the guy and you can't get the puck in time for him to get back up and take possession of it once again.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

The thing I am looking most forward to is the combination of 20 year waits to be matched up, only to be matched up against the 2002 Red Wings.

It's their most consistent feature.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
I just feel I would be remiss in not notifying this thread that I wear dynamic cloth every day.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

This Dynamic Cloth Technology could revolutionize sailing.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Duke Chin posted:

I just feel I would be remiss in not notifying this thread that I wear dynamic cloth every day.

So you walk around wearing silk screened hockey jerseys while carrying a portable fan in your pocket at all times? That's weird man.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
Also is there anything stopping a eurotrash from joining an american EASHL team? Besides latency issues, of course.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

nothing at all.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

KiddieGrinder posted:

Also is there anything stopping a eurotrash from joining an american EASHL team?

Unwillingness to do the dirty work in the corners, lack of truculence, etc

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

KiddieGrinder posted:

Also is there anything stopping a eurotrash from joining an american EASHL team? Besides latency issues, of course.

I dont really remember Rutkowski or his brother complaining about latency and theyre floaty euros. The only real barrier was timezones. And an ability to understand drunk Quebecois.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

KiddieGrinder posted:

Just don't play goalie or center.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

Furnaceface posted:

I dont really remember Rutkowski or his brother complaining about latency and theyre floaty euros. The only real barrier was timezones. And an ability to understand drunk Quebecois.
We had lag but almost only when playing with random people and not with the team.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

A norwegian magazine had a story on NHL15 (with video that I can't comment on, because I don't have audio at work) http://www.pressfire.no/spesialer/E3-2014/8643/Dommedagsfysiker-gjorde-ball-til-puck

Baaaaad bad bad Google translate posted:

LOS ANGELES (PressFire.no): "NHL" games have historically been a niche in this country, and reserved a bunch of hockey fans with American orientation.

It is possible franchise from EA Sports is not a cash cow here on the mountain today either, but the quality of the virtual ice is unsurpassed.

Since the function Skill Stick was introduced a few years back, a control system where you almost total control of the hockey stick, the "NHL" games have been among the foremost in the specific competitive sports genre.

NB! See also video interview with "NHL 15" s chief designer in this case.

Hail, hail!
Just what has resulted in much praise from critics, including from me . Just admit it, I have been and am very fond of these hockey games. Ice intrinsic and little forgiving inertia, the tough tackling and the immense satisfaction when you finally pushed the puck behind the keeper's impossible - it's magic!

At this year's E3 spoke many of the developers hot on the new power consoles PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. Why? Yes, because more horsepower offers far more opportunities to include all the features you want in the games.

This is about so much more than simple graphics and just what is "NHL 15" is a very good example.

EA Sports claim the game is built from the ground up on these consoles, and there are plenty primarily on the physics one will really notice the major differences.

Firstly players skeleton and it is under uniform totally changed. In previous games, every single player a bit like the Michelin man in the polyester, body and protection went in one, and the players looked more like balls than highly trained athletes.

By then the players an entirely constant mass, which also included the uniform they wore.

Not so anymore. Now the figures on the ice three layers. You have the athletic body underneath, so several different sets of protective and finally the suit outside again.

The more accurate out, and the puck behaves differently when it hits players. Before it stopped anyway, only it lightly bumped uniform. Now it will have a unique path depending on where it hits, and it's actually possible to sneie goalkeeper's outfit so armpit sweat splatters on the way into the cage. Such details enhances the overall experience noticeably.

Full control
For the first time players have been separated movement of the lower and upper body. Along with a more responsive control system for Skill Stick (steering arms and lever), it is easy to note that this really is a remastered version of "NHL" game.

It feels like a small dream to have the puck, and really being able to do everything that they want to as ice hockey star. You really know the physics, all the time, and so it has not been before.

It helps too well that it is now thoroughbred physics on all 12 players on the ice at a time, not a rotation between two and two at a time as in "NHL 14". Before we got him in front of our press four camera for a chat (see video window), then also told the chief designer of "NHL 15" Us, Sean Ramjagsingh, that they had made ​​a really big signing to the staff about a year ago.

Staff Physicist
- Previously puck a ball, if we consider game physics. We wanted to change that. We obtained a physicist who worked on artikkelakseleratoren in CERN . We had calculated that it would take two to three years to fix puck physics, he spent ten months grins Ramjagsingh.

In sum, making this violent fysikkoverhalingen 'NHL 15' more true to the real sport. Why?

Yes, chance becomes larger, the puck path becomes more difficult to predict. Shot is more than a shot, especially if you have bodies and sticks in front of the net - then anything can happen.

Based on what we've tested so far, the powers of "NHL 15" all this without it being comical random, and that the poorer players can win on the physics decide "everything" going on late ice. One must still have the skills, insight and understanding hockey to truly shine in this game. Exactly this is obviously very important!

The physics is one element, the second that I really particularly noted during testing at E3 was the AI. Previously, players' decisions taken linearly, one by one thought at a time. Thus did all of Ideation quite slow. Not so anymore.

Light in the tunnel
According to EA Sports takes players reach thousands of decisions every second. This depends partly on its own position on the pitch with and opponents' position, what position is and whether you play over or under the number.

I knew it very well how computerized opponents constantly try to move out of the so-called shadow pass, to make themselves available for those with the puck.

Exactly this has been a great loss, both in the "NHL" and "FIFA" - now it immensely announced at the end of the tunnel.

As a digital home
There is another minus the "NHL" games I've hung me up in a long time. I myself have been in place in several venues across the pond and seen combat. It is quite an experience, which is unique depending on where you go on the match. It has not been in the game before, where it has felt pretty much the same whether played in Detroit or Florida.

In "NHL 15" we were promised that every arena are more true to the way it is perceived in reality. This applies to details that look and fixtures in the arena and how the crowd behaves. EA Sports has in fact pulled over tigangen the number of separate spectators at every game, for a total of nine thousand.

Where they had cloned and synchronous cardboard people in the stands, you really feel the atmosphere of the crowd in "NHL 15". The frame is just right, as it will and should be on NHL match.

Overall, the new elements in "NHL 15," first and foremost on the Xbox and PlayStation 4 One, many. When building a game from scratch, however, increases the number of error sources. I did not notice anything to it during my test drive, but I'm still excited about how the finished product will be when it comes out September 11.

It is only when we really get the answer on whether EA Sports has managed to revolutionize what was already a gullforgyllet game series.

The review read, of course, here at PressFire.no around the time of release date. In the meantime, I encourage you to take a look at the interview with the lead designer on "NHL 15," Sean Ramjagsingh, the video window!

Photo and editing: Torbjørn Brænde Kvenseth.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Was that article written by Dr Horse PhD?

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

norwegian magazine story on NHL15 posted:

goalkeeper's outfit so armpit sweat splatters on the way into the cage. Such details enhances the overall experience noticeably.

Dynamic Sweat Technology™! :aaaaa:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wonder if they'll have Dynamic Fluid Technology so that when the goalie takes a drink, he's not just squeezing air at his face.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

xzzy posted:

I wonder if they'll have Dynamic Fluid Technology so that when the goalie takes a drink, he's not just squeezing air at his face.

Hold up tex, gotta save something for 16.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Zip! posted:

Might as well been, it wasn't a well written article in Norwegian either, and Google translate is... imperfect

The only thing to take away from it I guess, is that the models are remade from the ground up. Hopefully it means more than just flappy jerseys. Also the AI stuff is maybe something that might be an improvement.

I wonder when the sports game journalists will realize that the only reason the NHL series are more fun than the other EA series is because hockey is the best sport, and not because of the games themselves

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
That shabbily translated article is 10x more clear and informative than EA's buzzwordy taglines and quotes.

Texas A. Wreckus
Aug 20, 2006

Welcome to the OVal Office

Zip! posted:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

not enough slurs in that to be written by the horse. i wonder whose fault that is

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

This is Dr_Horse speak:
doctor_butts not react until i was funny character taken prisoner to assemble the first complaint about ryan dunn, it's okay i'm just a drop or have it remember to do attendance extra credit on your 3d

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

sellouts posted:

not enough slurs in that to be written by the horse. i wonder whose fault that is

jigglin jowls

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Just a reminder that NHL series is actually pretty good and I've bought every one of them since 07 :getin:

Anyone who complains is probably just bad at the game.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

I'm going to play the poo poo out of 15. Biggest reason I'm getting ps4. Then I'm going to complain. A lot.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Just a reminder that NHL series is actually pretty good and I've bought every one of them since 07 :getin:

I spotted someone who doesn't play goalie. :laugh:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

KiddieGrinder posted:

I spotted someone who doesn't play online. :laugh:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I actually only play 1v1 online versus :smug:

I don't know, I guess I just don't share the constant pessimism that you guys do.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I don't know, I guess I just don't share the constant pessimism that you guys do.

I guess if you look at them on their own they arent bad, but when you compare them to other EA sports games you really start to notice all the flaws and lack of innovation from year to year.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
This must be some grass is greener poo poo because I hear nothing but constant bitching about Fifa being the same thing year after year

Southpaw
Mar 9, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

This actually goes a long way towards explaining your view.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

I guess if you look at them on their own they arent bad, but when you compare them to other EA sports games you really start to notice all the flaws and lack of innovation from year to year.

Is the only EA Sports game besides hockey you play each year...

Uh, actually, I don't have an example to use here because it's not true of any of them.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

1v1 still suffers from the same bullshit. The game's line selection and forecheck menus still hang on screen if you press a certain combo of buttons, a problem since NHL 11 that hasn't even been addressed.

They should just hire a new producer.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jun 29, 2014

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Man, I thought this was going to be a troll and you got it but then you posted again. Shame.

But yeah I dunno I've played on pretty high ranked eashl teams and with people who don't care. The game is kinda poo poo across the board in the eashl mode.

I took last year off. Might snag this year but unlike myplayer in nba2k14 I will need to put in (personally) unrealistic amounts of time to have my player do basic level poo poo. It was so refreshing to lose games in nba2k14 but still be able to score points when the other team left you open or played poor d.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

You've never skated directly through the puck, multiple times in a row, in a failed effort to regain possession?

You've never once shouted "JUST PUT YOUR loving STICK ON THE PUCK! YOUR RIGHT loving THERE! ITS IN FRONT OF YOU!" at the TV, in frustration?

You've never had perfect passes bounce off the person you were trying to pass to?

Really?

cname fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 30, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

cname posted:

You've never skated directly through the puck, multiple times in a row, in a failed effort to regain possession?

Happens all the time with beginner skaters, so obviously it's a realistic behavior in a game designed to simulate the best hockey players in the world.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

xzzy posted:

Happens all the time with beginner skaters, so obviously it's a realistic behavior in a game designed to simulate the best hockey players in the world.

My mistake, so which button do I hold to keep my stick on the ice? :ironicat:

I love how there's actually a button to hug the boards with the puck between your feet. Like, you don't get stapled against the boards, oh no no, not how it works! First, you elect to press yourself up against the boards. Then someone from the other team also must elect to press himself up against you, thus pinning you to the boards.

I'm just pessimistic, though.

Edit: It's these drat menials and their wussy, boomer parents who promote soft, cupcake coaches! The folks at EA Sports didn't have the advantage of growing up with an alcoholic coach who would literally duct tape the player's hands to their stick and make them do a push up for every second they skated with their stick off the ice, during practice.

cname fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 30, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's right next to the "bend your knees more" button.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009
did he make you do the pushups on the ice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
No, he would just count them up/yell out "THAT'S ANOTHER 10 PUSHUPS!" or some poo poo then completely forget who had x number of pushups, so we would just go home without doing any.

• Locked thread