Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I'm the worst King Crimson fan. I got into them through 80's and 90's stuff and other than Court and Red never really listened to early stuff. I like Nightwatch, and I own Islands although I never listen to it. I don't think I've ever heard Lizard or Wake of Poseidon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I think my favourite is Starless And Bible Black, although I really like Red as well. There's something so unique about Fripp's writing and playing. Like on Fallen Angel from Red, he plays the chords by using harmonics instead of just chunking away on two and four or playing power chords like other guitarists would. Great Deceiver comes to mind also - he plays the opening riff in unison with the bass, as is usual, but there's also this overdriven glissando figure that he plays that adds a lot of drive to it. His melodies are always really great too, I wish I could write melodies like that.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
:smug:

Oh yeah.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I've always felt like Larks' Tongues in Aspic is almost on a whole other level from the rest of Crimson's work—just an unceasingly fascinating masterpiece of controlled chaos. I don't mean to give Jamie Muir all the credit for that, but I love how the group as a whole sounded with him as part of it, and I wish they could have done more together.

I really do need to finally get the 40th Anniversary edition of Lizard and see how that changes my perspective on it. Cirkus is great, but the rest of the album I've never felt too strongly about one way or the other. Well, except for Gordon Haskell's lovely voice.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Thought you guys might be interested.

http://universalchoir.insideoutmusic.com

Devin Townsend invites fellow humans to sing some stuff for his upcoming Ziltoid sequel. And you don't even have to be a good singer!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Rollersnake posted:

I've always felt like Larks' Tongues in Aspic is almost on a whole other level from the rest of Crimson's work—just an unceasingly fascinating masterpiece of controlled chaos. I don't mean to give Jamie Muir all the credit for that, but I love how the group as a whole sounded with him as part of it, and I wish they could have done more together.

I really do need to finally get the 40th Anniversary edition of Lizard and see how that changes my perspective on it. Cirkus is great, but the rest of the album I've never felt too strongly about one way or the other. Well, except for Gordon Haskell's lovely voice.

That live performance of Starless with Muir is better than the album version so I could imagine some pretty great things.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama

Rollersnake posted:

Ladies of the Road is loving embarrassing, but that didn't stop them from playing it constantly the first time around and, much later naming a compilation album after it. Though I suppose the odds of that getting performed without Boz are slim to none.

I wouldn't mind them dragging out Formentera Lady, though, and the other two songs are good but have never been performed live. Though neither has Happy Family, so anything's possible, I guess.

The 21st Century Schizoid Band performed Formentera Lady and Ladies of the Road. With Jakko in the current lineup, it can be seen retroactively as a KC Projekct. jakko sang lead, Ian McDonald, Peter and Michael Giles, and Mel Collins were in that band. Sounded pretty good. I don't see where the Islands songs would sound all that different with Fripp on guitar.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Finally got around to Ayreon's Into the Electric Castle, I ended up listening to it on repeat for a few twelve hour shifts this past week. Just goddamned awesome, every bit as good as Flight of the Migrator and 1011001. I don't know why I find this poo poo as fascinating as I do.

I've been working my way backwards through his discography, so the only two I have left to check out now are Actual Fantasy and The Final Experiment. Going to buy the last two albums now and hope they're even half as good.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

My fiancée surprised me with tickets to the Seattle KC show. I'm incredibly excited!

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
One month ago i have been to a concert of the Crimson Projekct... well i can say that it was quite an awesome place to be. Crazy to see Tony Levin with his stick and Adrian with his crazy band playing together. They did play many songs from the classic albums, plus some from their respective new albums.
Don't miss them if you are able to get a ticket for their concerts

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:
If I'm looking for something that's kinda similar to the early Genesis albums (Foxtrot, Trespass and Nursery Cryme) are there any obvious bands I should check out?

(As far as prog bands go I already have King Crimson, Emerson/Lake/Palmer, Yes, Jethro Thull in my playlist)

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Maybe check out some albums by Big Big Train...I particularly like English Electric 1 and Gathering Speed. There's also The Garden by Unitopia. None of the Genesis-alikes really seem to capture the eccentricity of the band though, especially the Peter Gabriel days.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

feraltennisprodigy posted:

If I'm looking for something that's kinda similar to the early Genesis albums (Foxtrot, Trespass and Nursery Cryme) are there any obvious bands I should check out?

(As far as prog bands go I already have King Crimson, Emerson/Lake/Palmer, Yes, Jethro Thull in my playlist)

The whole neo-prog movement always struck me as way more like Genesis than anything else (although not as good). Marillion are probably the most obvious one from there.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Love Sailor's Tale. I hope they do the transition from something soft though. I love they way it transitions out of Formentera Lady.

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:
Thanks, I'll check those bands out :)

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
I just aired a remix of Phish's really wacky concept album "The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday" on my college radio station using live, studio recordings as well as some original and some of my own narrations. You can hear it on the archives on the website.

http://www.wusb.fm
http://stream.wusb.stonybrook.edu:8090/content/1Mon-0300.pls
http://stream.wusb.stonybrook.edu:8090/content/1Mon-0300.1.pls

It gets replaced after a week though.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Paladinus posted:

Thought you guys might be interested.

http://universalchoir.insideoutmusic.com

Devin Townsend invites fellow humans to sing some stuff for his upcoming Ziltoid sequel. And you don't even have to be a good singer!

If I knew about this days earlier, I would have participated.

I need to check NMD more often.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

DGM posted a minute snippet of what appears to be LTIA Pt I from the rehearsals today.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Marillion is the most obvious but I would forego them for now and check out IQ - get the new remaster of Tales From the Lush Attic, which is very much in the vein of the older, more high-octane Genesis. I've heard their later albums are better but I don't have any of them yet.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Genesis is my favorite prog rock band and I've found it very difficult to find a band that "sounds like" them without being poor imitations. That being said, there are other great prog/related bands that I like almost as much. The bands you listed are all on that list.

I'm assuming you've discovered Pink Floyd already. If not, you should, one of the best and most popular prog bands of all time. Check out, well all of their albums. I suppose you can skip More and Ummagumma, but, really don't because even though they're experimental and have some filler tracks, they have some cool stuff on them.

Van Der Graaf Generator, they were contemporaries of Genesis and their early stuff is very theatrical and gothic like Genesis, in particular Pawn Hearts.

Renaissance is also a great symphonic prog band that were contemporaries of Genesis you should check out if you haven't already try Ashes Are Burning, Turn of the Cards, Scheherazade, Novella, and A Song For All Seasons (the first two albums Innocence and Illusion are also very good but almost a completely different band).

Another contemporary of Genesis was Focus. They're another little known symphonic prog/fusion band from Holland that focused more on instrumental suites but had a lot of instrumental sections with flute playing that reminded me of early Genesis and Jethro Tull.

I really could go on and on listing bands, but I don't want to overwhelm you. But before I end this post, other great bands I should mention include The Moody Blues (big influence on Genesis), Rush (influenced by Genesis) , Phish (influenced by Genesis/same weirdness and dark humor - honestly this is my second favorite band after Genesis, but for very different reasons so I'll leave it up to you) , Strawbs (had similar folk backgrounds), Opeth (influenced by Genesis) and Gentle Giant (a lot of the same weirdness and dark humor).

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 30, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I think In the Court is probably the closest that another band really comes to getting to Genesis. If you want a more modern band, Wobbler's Rites at Dawn reminds me a lot of Genesis in places.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Noise Machine posted:

DGM posted a minute snippet of what appears to be LTIA Pt I from the rehearsals today.

where

Cory and Trevor
Feb 22, 2006
^Look under Mister Stormy's Monday selection.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Gianthogweed posted:

I just aired a remix of Phish's really wacky concept album "The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday" on my college radio station using live, studio recordings as well as some original and some of my own narrations. You can hear it on the archives on the website.

http://www.wusb.fm
http://stream.wusb.stonybrook.edu:8090/content/1Mon-0300.pls

It gets replaced after a week though.

I'm going to playing a slightly shorter version of this at 2:30 this afternoon (July 3rd Eastern time), I'll be doing the narrations again. Tune in if you want to hear how progressive and Genesisy Phish can be and why they're my second favorite band. http://www.wusb.fm.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Nick Beggs mentioned on FB he has submitted ideas for a new SW record.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Debuting a newly narrated remix of Gamehendge on my college radio station in a few minutes. http://wusb.fm
here's the full show for those who missed it. https://www.dropbox.com/s/dp2p8stjokvzzql/Gamehendge%20%28July%204th%20Edition%20With%20Narrations%29.zip

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 4, 2014

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010
Pink Floyd are releasing a new album! It will be Dave and Nick overdubbing parts to some Rick jams from the Division Bell sessions. No word yet on if Roger will be involved.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/jul/07/pink-floyd-new-album-2014-the-endless-river

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
No discussion on the new Yes album? :haw:

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I'm pretty sure Waters will be staying far away from the Pink Floyd album. There was a documentary made after they played at the Live Aid gig some years ago, and he seemed pretty sure that he wouldn't be working with them again.

E: New Yes album? they haven't made much good music in 40 years, i doubt they'll start now.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I have absolutely zero expectations for the new "Pink Floyd" album or any interest in new Yes material, although I might see them with my dad just because we have cheap lawn seat vouchers and it's five minutes from home.

Today I listened to Los Jaivas' "Alturas de Macchu Picchu," which I had never heard of before, and it ruled. Anybody else a fan?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

Today I listened to Los Jaivas' "Alturas de Macchu Picchu," which I had never heard of before, and it ruled. Anybody else a fan?

I listened to them ages ago and really liked them, thanks for reminding me!

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Prog Doctor posted:

Pink Floyd are releasing a new album! It will be Dave and Nick overdubbing parts to some Rick jams from the Division Bell sessions. No word yet on if Roger will be involved.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/jul/07/pink-floyd-new-album-2014-the-endless-river

On the surface this sounds like an awful "leftover crap from division bell" album, but I was really pleasantly surprised by On an Island, and Division Bell was a great album. David Gilmour doesn't half rear end things, it seems, and I'm sure if it has the Pink Floyd name it'll be good. I like that he's making an effort to ensure that Rick Wright's voice is on the album too. Too bad Roger Waters probably won't be involved though. This could also mean another Pink Floyd Tour. Pink Floyd was one of my first concerts, and it was incredible. Can't wait to see them again.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

JAMOOOL posted:

No discussion on the new Yes album? :haw:

How much of a Yes album is it, actually? Like, who's playing on it?

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Howe, Squire, White, Downes, Davison.

Yes has been uneven these passed 20 or so years, but every album has had something good on it so I'll definitely check it out.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Even the ever-positive founder of Progressive Ears is politely making GBS threads on the new Yes album, so my expectations are preeeetty low.

I'm actually a fan of Fly from Here, but I won't pretend that the whole album wasn't carried by the Trevor Horn compositions. I have little faith in Squire's songwriting ability these days, and zero in Howe's.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 9, 2014

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I'm looking for some music similar to Comus' First Utterance. I'm mostly seeking the dark and bizarre kind of mood they've got going. Any ideas?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Trees and Squids posted:

I'm looking for some music similar to Comus' First Utterance. I'm mostly seeking the dark and bizarre kind of mood they've got going. Any ideas?

Magma - mekanik destruktiv kommando maybe?

Curious to see what others suggest for this. Comus is awesome and pretty unique.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

alnilam posted:

Magma - mekanik destruktiv kommando maybe?

Curious to see what others suggest for this. Comus is awesome and pretty unique.

Yeah, I definitely had Magma in mind when writing that post. I've only dug into their 2004 and 2009 albums though, so I'll check that one out as well.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

I posted this in the Phish thread but I thought you guys might want to read this:

You can probably break the Phish studio recordings into four different periods.

Early Phish is 1985-88 and Includes:

The White Tape - Recorded 1985-1986
The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday - 1987
Union Federal and the Oh Kee Pah Ceromonies (Bonus Tracks on Junta) - 1985-1988

This is the more experimental Phish. They were still finding their feet and the recordings had a bit of a Frank Zappa / Brian Wilson Smile vibe to it. Their sense of humor was strange to say the least. It wasn't quite Frank Zappa, it wasn't as dark as early Genesis. It was ... well, goofy, but there was an intelligence to it all the same. As for the music, well there was a lot of free form stuff, and even a concept album with a title so long that even the acronym is a chore to type (tmwsiy is frequently referred to as gamehendge). Since they weren't signed to a record label, Phish recorded this stuff themselves so the recording quality is all over the place. Their often recorded lengthy practice sessions, or Oh Kee Pah Ceremonies, would make way for the next era ...

Progressive Phish 1988-1993:

Junta - 1988
Lawn Boy - 1990
A Picture of Nectar - 1991
Rift - 1993

This is my favorite era. They were at the top of their game musically at this point and they had just gotten a recording contract. Even though they were a jam band, a lot of their "jams" were actually composed pieces. These lengthy "epics" were reminiscent of the progressive rock of the 70s a la Genesis and Yes, with complex instrumental arrangements that incorporated elements of jazz, classical and many other styles of music. They were also adding more pieces to their earlier gamehendge concept sprinkled throughout their impressive live performances and albums as their cult following grew sizeably. And they did it all with that strange, dark and downright goofy sense of humor that Phish was known for. But, at heart, they were still a jam band, and the jams came through in the studio just as much as it did live. Rift, their next and final concept album, would probably be the most progressive of their careers, but was also turning point for them. Phish were beginning to shift away from the lengthy prog epics and instead were trying to record shorter and more accessible songs. They wanted a hit ...

Popular Phish 1994-2000:

Hoist - 1994
Billy Breathes -1996
The Story of the Ghost - 1998
The Siket Disc - 1999
Farmhouse - 2000

Phish had had a minor hit with Chalkdust Torture in 1991. Rift had several shorter songs like Fast Enough For You and The Wedge that they released as singles, but it wasn't until Hoist that they really went the whole MTV hit singles route. They decided to keep the songs short on the records and extend them in live jams instead. The strategy worked. Down With Disease and Sample in a Jar were both hits and Hoist was their best selling album yet. The albums during this era are probably the most accessible Phish albums of all, and Billy Breathes is often regarded as their best. This was Phish's most successful period, both for record sales and in ticket sales. They had become the most successful touring band in the world. But what was sacrificed for accessibility? Well the goofy humor was toned down a lot (although you still had songs like Scent of Mule) the lengthy prog epics were fewer (although you still had songs like Guyute) and a lot of the complex instrumental jams were shortened (but you still had songs like first tube). So, Phish was still Phish, just more accessible (with the exception of the Siket Disc - a post rock free form jam album). And in concert Phish was better than ever, quite possibly the best live band of all time. By the end of 2000 it seemed that Phish had reached such great heights that there was nowhere they could go but downhill. Trey thought it was in the band's best interest to break up and try different projects for awhile. So that's what they did, and we reached a new turning point...

Post Breakup Phish 2002-Present

Round Room 2002
The Victor Disc 2002
Undermind 2004
Joy 2009
Fuego 2014

Now I know that the Phish break up in 2000 was brief and, on the surface looks rather insignificant in comparison to the one in 2004 which lasted five years, and from a touring standpoint the 2004 breakup probably is more significant. But, I would argue, that from a creative standpoint, the 2000 breakpoint was more significant. By 2000 the band had, admittedly, reached their peak. Up to that point they were young men who were trying to prove something. After 2000 they had nothing to prove. They were proven. Now they were middle aged men with families of their own. It was time to slow down a bit, experiment with other projects and take a break from Phish here and there. Phish wasn't a spent force by a long stretch, there were still some great things to be done with them, and they still had great chemistry together and were still great friends. The albums of this post breakup period reflect this. Great songs, nothing too pretentious, nothing too edgy, nothing too crazy, just four guys having a great time making music together. The albums are a more relaxed and there's a longer space between the releases. The guys have families that they want to spend more time with, but it's clear they still get along great together and can't go too many years without getting the band together for another tour. Still, they take frequent breaks from each other so they can try new things out with other musicians too. There's less pressure on them to constantly tour and release albums each year. People have compared Phish to Grateful Dead a lot and I never thought they sounded much like them other than them both being jam bands (yes I know Phish was influenced by them, but GD is just of many influences on them), but on these albums I can definitely see some similarities. There's a laid back quality to these albums that definitely is reminiscent of the dead, especially on a song like Devotion to a Dream. They're having more fun with the vocal arrangements too. Some really chill stuff in this era, I can dig it.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Themistocles
Nov 7, 2003

Fighting for democracy since 483 BC
So, Phish aside, who wants to talk about Camel?

Camel is definitely not getting enough love. The only Camel album my local record store had on hand for quite some time was Rain Dances. Rain Dances is a phenomenal album. Tough to describe: maybe a more "focused/compressed" Another Green World? Eno pulled to Earth?

A recent trip to the store and I returned with Mirage in hand. Another great grab – Mirage is somewhere throttling between Gabriel Genesis and Rush. Dragons on one side, more traditional rock riffs on the other. Curiously, no "cigarette" cover for me...

And of course I get back to the lab and there's no Mirage to speak of on iTunes. So I download The Snow Goose. Four days later I'm still drinking it in. Will I read the book? Probably not...I've already felt Dunkirk thanks to Andrew Latimer and the crew.

So, pretty much that. I need to complete my Camel discography. In the meantime: thoughts? Maybe time to discuss some more second-stringers from the "golden" era?