Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Great, now I feel like I'm on a watchlist somewhere. Christ, that's creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Penismightier, you were so right about The Lego Movie. It's got a Geico ad sense of humor and the structure of a Christmas special where Henry The Littlest Elf teams up with the newest seasonal toys to teach kids a lesson about individuality.

And Everything Is Awesome is the most unendurable song I have ever heard. When the acoustic version came around during the credits, I bolted out of that theater, leaving the rest of my family behind. It is the Trail Of Tears in musical form.

But as chintzy and insincere as it may be it is a visual marvel. My god, those effects.

I Before E fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 30, 2014

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I watched the Lego Movie this weekend and it was p funny and Will Ferrell's character reminded me of my old roommate who got mad if you called them "Legos"

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Is this year's "Prometheus Award for Polarizing CineD" going to go to the friggin Lego Movie?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I doubt anyone will defend it as fervently.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Vargo posted:

Is this year's "Prometheus Award for Polarizing CineD" going to go to the friggin Lego Movie?

Oh god I hadn't even thought of that.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Vargo posted:

You might as well rename it the "Michael Bay achievement in argumentation award", because that poo poo's goin to Trans4mers.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Yoshifan823 posted:

You might as well rename it the "Michael Bay achievement in argumentation award", because that poo poo's goin to Trans4mers.

It could just as easily be TMNT.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Vargo posted:

Eh, probably not. For one I still think way more people like it than dislike it. It's not really an even split. Also I don't think people really came in with expectations so people that liked it were more pleasantly surprised and the people that didn't like it don't really take it personally. There's just not much investment on eith er end of the spectrum here. Really that award would more likely go to something like Transformers or Godzilla.

I think it's going to be more like Could Atlas where people either really liked it or really didn't like it but on both sides they still just didn't talk about it all that much.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I will say this for the Lego movie: Morgan Freeman clearly has not had that much fun in a long-rear end time.

As far as most polarizing movie goes, before it even came out everyone was very dug-in on their feelings about Transformers on both sides, so it's probably Godzilla. Which is fine by me, because my feelings on that movie are right down the middle, so I'm pretty much incapable of arguing about it.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I will say this for the Lego movie: Morgan Freeman clearly has not had that much fun in a long-rear end time.

As far as most polarizing movie goes, before it even came out everyone was very dug-in on their feelings about Transformers on both sides, so it's probably Godzilla.

Blew my mind that the Lego Movie is the first time Morgan Freeman has done an animated film.

Also that it's the first time Wonder Woman has ever appeared in a movie.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Most polarizing this year has gotta be Godzilla. At least both people who love and who hate Trans4mers will be able to agree on a lot about it.

But the Lego movie, insincere? Huh?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Crappy Jack posted:

Blew my mind that the Lego Movie is the first time Morgan Freeman has done an animated film.

Speaking of, the cast in that movie is so great, Freeman and Liam Neeson especially. They put their all into it, and in the parts where they have good material, they shine.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I have a feeling my viewing of the Lego movie was at least in part influenced by watching it on DVD, where it's preceded by 20+ minutes worth of commercials for Lego Land theme parks, Lego: The Movie: The Video Game, Lego The Hobbit: The Movie: The Video Game, and another Lego movie about a farting skunk.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I have a feeling my viewing of the Lego movie was at least in part influenced by watching it on DVD, where it's preceded by 20+ minutes worth of commercials for Lego Land theme parks, Lego: The Movie: The Video Game, Lego The Hobbit: The Movie: The Video Game, and another Lego movie about a farting skunk.

You don't skip that poo poo?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lord Krangdar posted:

I have a feeling this is one of those questions you already know the answer to, but I'll humor you: No.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I have a feeling this is one of those questions you already know the answer to, but I'll humor you: No.

But like not just for that movie but normally, you always watch all the previews and stuff? That's bizarre to me.

In this case that's exactly the context in which the actual Lego Movie stood out. It could have easily been more of that, but it wasn't.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lord Krangdar posted:

But like not just for that movie but normally, you always watch all the previews and stuff? That's bizarre to me.

I have a feeling this is one of those questions you already know the answer to, but I'll humor you: Yes.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Lord Krangdar posted:

That's exactly the context in which the actual movie stood out. It could have easily been more of that, but it wasn't.

Really? It came off as trying not to be an advertisement while still totally being an advertisement. The part where the Star Wars guys popped in for a cup of coffee is what kind of cinched it for me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I Before E posted:

Really? It came off as trying not to be an advertisement while still totally being an advertisement. The part where the Star Wars guys popped in for a cup of coffee is what kind of cinched it for me.

The extra oogy bit was popping into Lego: The Movie: The Thread afterwards and seeing how many posts there are along the lines of "I can't wait to go out and buy some Legos!"

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Lord Krangdar posted:

Most polarizing this year has gotta be Godzilla. At least both people who love and who hate Trans4mers will be able to agree on a lot about it.

But the Lego movie, insincere? Huh?

Yeah, I'm a little surprised about it, because rather than being a movie about selling Lego to kids, it's a movie that taps into what makes Lego special. I've never seen a movie about another toy brand that features a character using the toy in real life to help him connect with his father and bring two people together.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's weird to me that people don't think Godzilla is exciting enough. It's paced so well.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The extra oogy bit was popping into Lego: The Movie: The Thread afterwards and seeing how many posts there are along the lines of "I can't wait to go out and buy some Legos!"

Legos are cool though. They gots simpsons ones now.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, I'm a little surprised about it, because rather than being a movie about selling Lego to kids, it's a movie that taps into what makes Lego special. I've never seen a movie about another toy brand that features a character using the toy in real life to help him connect with his father and bring two people together.

This is exactly what icked me out about it though.

"Get your child to love you - With Legos!"

FishBulb posted:

Legos are cool though. They gots simpsons ones now.

I will not deny the coolness of legos.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's weird to me that people don't think Godzilla is exciting enough. It's paced so well.

The problem is after awhile it has a sort of "when are they gonna get to the fireworks factory?" feel. It doesn't matter how exciting the action is that's happening, people want to see giant monsters fighting giant monsters and anything else is just categorized as not that, therefore boring.

I have to admit that I'm still not sure how much I liked it. I didn't think it was bad and was with it for a while but I still managed to stop giving a poo poo before the movie really started delivering stuff to pull me back in.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I might try and see Godzilla another time before it goes out of theaters. I'm still not sure how I feel about it, and it seems like a movie that'd lose a lot of punch at home.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I don't know if "insincere" is the right way to put it, but I would definitely agree that The Lego Movie has mixed messages. It starts of heavily anti-consumerist, but then by the end explains that judging people based on what they do or do not buy is pretentious and stupid, which ties into its "you can be individual, or part of a team, or both" mentality. It argues that consumerism isn't necessarily evil or wrong (which you can definitely say is cynical for a toy commercial movie), but it also ties it into a greater statement of individuality. Individuality which is forced is another form of conformity, as is the case with Wyldstlye, bu hey, conformity is also conformity. The end result is The Lego Movie saying "Follow the rules, or don't. Live this way, or that way. It's cool. You're awesome. Also, there is no wrong way to play with Lego" Which is not a particularly deep sentiment, but it's miles above what anyone was expecting from a toy commercial.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, that part was good. Maybe I'm just an easy mark for father/son relationship stories. Now that I think about it, I'm probably letting my distaste for a good half of the jokes color my recollection of it.

But in the end, it is an ad for Lego products, and the Star Wars people popping in for a cameo was one of the more blatant, irritating instances of that advertisement.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

axleblaze posted:

The problem is after awhile it has a sort of "when are they gonna get to the fireworks factory?" feel. It doesn't matter how exciting the action is that's happening, people want to see giant monsters fighting giant monsters and anything else is just categorized as not that, therefore boring.

I have to admit that I'm still not sure how much I liked it. I didn't think it was bad and was with it for a while but I still managed to stop giving a poo poo before the movie really started delivering stuff to pull me back in.

I guess I've never been that person. The action in these kinds of films is the payoff and always has been and the opposite of that is like, Saturday morning cartoon crap.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

I Before E posted:

Yeah, that part was good. Maybe I'm just an easy mark for father/son relationship stories. Now that I think about it, I'm probably letting my distaste for a good half of the jokes color my recollection of it.

But in the end, it is an ad for Lego products, and the Star Wars people popping in for a cameo was one of the more blatant, irritating instances of that advertisement.

Well, on the other hand, the reason that stuff didn't bother me was because that was exactly the kind of stuff I'd be doing. Like, if I had a Millennium Falcon when I was 8, you'd better believe that every time the brave knights were about to be eaten by ye olde dragon, they'd be saved at the last minute by Luke Skywalker, or Harry Potter would show up and save the day. The mixing of brands came off as less cynical and more honest to the spirit of the product, honestly. If it was a different product, I'd be more up in arms about it, I'm sure, but that sort of thing just worked, because that's how you'd actually do it as a kid. The adventures of Construction Guy and Cool Girl and Hippie Guy and 80's Spaceman and Giant Pirate is like the apex of being 8 years old and playing around.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I kind of wish that Lord and Miller had been allowed to go with the original scripted ending, where Will Ferrell successfully glues down all the Legos and the little boy learns to appreciate playing outside with friends as opposed to hanging out in a dark basement with thousands of dollars worth of toys. I mean, not hard to see why the folks at Lego didn't let them go with that, but still.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

I think the thing I liked about The LEGO Movie is it was able to accurately simulate the actual dynamics of play, with all of the surprise cameos, mixed franchises, melodramatic shifts in tone and character that goes with it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Me too, but Henry really doesn't fall under any definition of fun. As HUNDU said, essential viewing, but steel yrself for that one.

The most fun on the list are the first and last, Evil Dead II and Sleepaway Camp II.

Henry kind of hosed me up. I saw it right after SLiTHER because I thought Rooker was one of the coolest actors I've ever seen, so I hunted down his earlier work.

Scene with the broken down car was creepy as poo poo. I ended up going with my dad to pick up some dinner...and he decided to stop for a man who's car had broken down. I was like :ohdear: ing the whole time.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

This is exactly what icked me out about it though.

"Get your child to love you - With Legos!"

Wouldn't have hurt for my dad to try that.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The Lego Movie was explicitly made for children with ADHD, I'm certain.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Allright, y'all, I'm guilty of it, too, but there is a LEGO movie thread we can take this to.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I Before E posted:

Speaking of, the cast in that movie is so great, Freeman and Liam Neeson especially. They put their all into it, and in the parts where they have good material, they shine.

For me it's another example of Charlie Day being the best part of an excruciating movie. I should send him a fruit cake.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

penismightier posted:

For me it's another example of Charlie Day being the best part of an excruciating movie. I should send him a fruit cake.
With Charlie Day's film track record, I'm a little worried he'll pull a George Clooney and outgrow IASIP.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CloseFriend posted:

With Charlie Day's film track record, I'm a little worried he'll pull a George Clooney and outgrow IASIP.

I think they've said they're only doing one more season of Always Sunny anyway, so I'm just glad his film career is taking off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I hope he keeps finding time for animated films amongst the other work he does. He nailed both characters he played in the last year or so (Art in Monsters University as well as 80's Astronaut)

• Locked thread