Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

DontAskKant posted:

Eagerly awaiting the ajwain update.

I finally got a source of curry leaves smuggled into Korea and think I was thinking about that in a saison. The Sichuan peppercorns in a saison with some grapefruit might be nice.

Just a warning about peppercorns, But I used 1.5 tsp (uncrushed) in 2 gallons of saison mead and it killed it. Way too much, and i need to dump it. So I'd be very wary on peppercorn levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

rockcity posted:

Picked up a 10 gallon kettle with a ball valve and ingredients to do my first all grain batch in my dual cooler rig. It's going to be a hoppy wheat beer that I'll be brewing on the 4th of July.

5 lbs 2 Row Malt
3 lbs White Wheat Malt
1 lb Crystal 15
.5lb Rice Hulls

I'm still not 100% on how I'm doing the hops yet, but I bought 2 oz of Cascade and 1 oz each of Nelson Sauvin and Sorachi Ace. Right now I'm thinking something like this which would land around 43 IBU.

.5 oz Cascade 30 min
1 oz Nelson Sauvin 10 min
1 oz Sorachi Ace 5 min
.5 oz Cascade 1 min
1 oz Cascade dry hop

Wyeast 1010 American Wheat

Apparently wheat beers are dicey for your first all grain attempt because of their ability to go full paste. I know the rice hulls should help that, but my second all grain batch got stuck and it wasn't pleasant.

What are Nelson Sauvin hops like? Never heard of them.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Just a warning about peppercorns, But I used 1.5 tsp (uncrushed) in 2 gallons of saison mead and it killed it. Way too much, and i need to dump it. So I'd be very wary on peppercorn levels.

1/2 tbsp whole peppercorns and 1/2 tbsp crushed peppercorns has been my addition in 5 gallons of saison. I dig that flavor a lot in there so maybe that's a bit too much for other folks but it's been my starting point.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

pugnax posted:

Apparently wheat beers are dicey for your first all grain attempt because of their ability to go full paste. I know the rice hulls should help that, but my second all grain batch got stuck and it wasn't pleasant.

What are Nelson Sauvin hops like? Never heard of them.

Nelson Sauvin is supposed to taste like Sauvignon Blanc. I had a braggot single-hopped with it and it was very interesting. Unique flavor for sure.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Been hunting around but can't seem to find my answer. Any idea how long brett normally takes to be ready to bottle, it's been 8weeks+ now.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Fluo posted:

Been hunting around but can't seem to find my answer. Any idea how long brett normally takes to be ready to bottle, it's been 8weeks+ now.

It's a gravity over time thing. Once the gravity has held stable for a week or two (or 3 or 4 to be extra safe), I'd say it's safe. But this also depends on if it was 100% Primary or a secondary thing. I think the secondary additions need longer time.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Marshmallow Blue posted:

It's a gravity over time thing. Once the gravity has held stable for a week or two (or 3 or 4 to be extra safe), I'd say it's safe. But this also depends on if it was 100% Primary or a secondary thing. I think the secondary additions need longer time.

Ok cool, I've just taken the gravity now and its like 1.002. So give it another two weeks or so and see if it budges right?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

more falafel please posted:

Nelson Sauvin is supposed to taste like Sauvignon Blanc. I had a braggot single-hopped with it and it was very interesting. Unique flavor for sure.

Yeah, it's supposed to be sort of a citrusy wine taste. Certainly smelled that way. All three have a bit of a citrus/fruit component to them which is what I'm going for.

I have heard that about wheat beers, which is definitely why I only made the wheat 31% of the grain bill and added the rice hulls. I bought a full pound of the rice hulls, but the guy at the shop said I'd probably only need half of it because the grain bill isn't very large. I'm definitely expecting having to really baby how quickly I'm draining the cooler and possibly having the give things a stir. The main reason I'm doing a wheat is that this is also going to be my inaugural kegged batch and I wanted something fairly approachable for the not-so-adventurous. I didn't want to go straight up wheat beer though which is why it's sort of a wheat meets APA.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Has anybody here dabbled in making dark belgian candi sugar syrup? Something like a year and a half ago I was trying it and wound up mostly just darkening and then burning the mixture. I suspect in retrospect I wasn't doing the initial inversion step. This last time I managed to get up to the around the butter/toffee phase. It tasted like the crusty bits left on a pan after making chocolate chip cookies.

The overall reaction was much different this time too. All the sugar started to crystalize together and boil, and there was no obvious water left in the pot. Then it all kind of just melted down into a syrup in roughly 5 seconds.

What I'm reading is if you're not getting some whiffs of ammonia, it's not doing the Maillard reaction. I got that in the early parts when I first put in the yeast nutrient in particular, but I didn't add any more as time went on. So I suspect I got an initial push out of it, and then the rest was basically caramelization. I think I could have kept it going if I was keeping a lime/protein solution on standby rather than just water. The temperature would rise too quickly and it would be on it's way to hard crack phase, so I'd have to throw in some water to drop it back down.

Generally it was something like this. For 1# of turbinado sugar (consider straight up white sugar):
1/4# water (1/2 cup)
1/2 tsp wyeast yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp pickling lime
1 tsp extra light dried malt extract
1 tsp treacle

Start with just the sugar and water and make an inverted syrup out of it. Then add the remaining ingredients and hold in the 275F-290F range until it tastes how you want it, but it should progress. I think I got what it was going to give me all in the first 20 minutes or so, and I could have taken it further if I had given it bursts of extra lime and such. I also put all the dry ingredients in directly--with an emphasis on the lime--which I think caused little darkened bits.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

rockcity posted:

I'm still not 100% on how I'm doing the hops yet, but I bought 2 oz of Cascade and 1 oz each of Nelson Sauvin and Sorachi Ace. Right now I'm thinking something like this which would land around 43 IBU.

First, my first all grain brew was a wheat beer in a bucket with a nylon bag. No idea what the hell was going on, or what I was thinking, but it worked. I made beer. So fret not. As for the hops: I'd move Nelson to the dry hop/0min addition as it's more of the "designer" flavor whereas cascade will taste like everything, so I'd shuffle that around.

Also: sorry to disappoint, but the thyme at work absolutely exploded with flowers and couldn't not use them instead of the Ajwain.

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

burning airlines give you so much more

internet celebrity posted:

Speaking of brett, does anyone have advice for cleaning a brett infested keg? I figure I'll boil all the small stuff, cook the dip tube in the oven, and replace the lines. The keg itself is too big for my dishwasher so I can't steam it. I'm considering filling it with boiling water and then soaking it with bleach, rinsing, and soaking with Star San. I have an expensive batch going into this keg so I really want to make sure the brett is gone.

Don't use bleach on stainless steel, it's pretty corrosive. Use a strong pbw (or caustic) solution and rinse thoroughly with water and then starsan.

If you have a pressure cooker, that's much more effective than boiling, otherwise boil everything once a day for a few days to be sure. Definitely replace all your seals with new ones as well.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I work in a sterile processing department at a hospital. If your pressure cooker runs at 15psi, you can put the metal small parts on a veggie steamer or something inside above the water. I guess make sure there is enough water to boil for about 30 minutes, I'd probably equate a pressure cooker to a gravity cycle on an autoclave. In the USA and Europe 15psi at 250° F for 30 minutes will be sterile on a gravity cycle.

Internet suggests boiling objects for 15 minutes, but I can't really vouch for the efficacy of that. 15 psi at 250°F is capable verified for killing Bacillus stearothermophilus which has an optimal temperture much higher then brett, I don't think it denatures until ~160°F.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Is there a way to keep brett alive and remove other bugs? (Lacto pedio) in order to move the brett to a new batch

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Is there a way to keep brett alive and remove other bugs? (Lacto pedio) in order to move the brett to a new batch

Do a starter with a fuckload of hops?

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Marshmallow Blue posted:

lysozyme should work, no idea how much to use etc though

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Jesus christ people brett is just yeast. I've done 20 gallons of brett beers (two 100%, two 50/50 brett/sach) this year and I've had no cross contamination issues. My secret is I wash and sanitize everything like I always do.

Toxx
Aug 25, 2002
Hey Josh WoW, didn't you used to work for or currently work for Terrapin? You wouldn't happen to have any MooHoo clone suggestions would you? I haven't had that beer in awhile and don't currently have access to it, but I remember really liking it. All I know off the top of my head is obviously lactose and secondary with cocoa nibs.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Toxx posted:

Hey Josh WoW, didn't you used to work for or currently work for Terrapin? You wouldn't happen to have any MooHoo clone suggestions would you? I haven't had that beer in awhile and don't currently have access to it, but I remember really liking it. All I know off the top of my head is obviously lactose and secondary with cocoa nibs.

I used to work for Terrapin although I was in packaging and not brewing. I can give you a little insight though. Here's the list of hops and malt from the website:

2 row
flaked oats
crystal 85
chocolate
carafa III
roasted barley

Nugget
Willamette

As you said they also use lactose and cocoa shells and nibs. The shells and nibs they used came from Olive and Sinclair. They also used chocolate and vanilla extract at the very end. The yeast they used is American Ale II from Wyeast.

They most likely did Nugget at 60 and Willamette at 30 to get to 30 IBU although with this beer you could just use either one to hit the IBU. OG is 1.064 and FG is 1.018.

As I was typing this out I realized it seems really similar to the recipe I have for Wake N Bake. It's similar enough that I could definitely see them scaling this down and tweaking it to make Moo Hoo, so this might help too:

2 row - 69%
crystal 85 - 8%
flaked oats - 7%
flaked barley - 7%
black malt - 3%
chocolate - 3%
roast barley - 3%

Nugget @ 60 for 40 IBU
Nugget @ 30 for 10 IBU

Wyeast American Ale II

OG 1.086
FG 1.018-1.020

Mash at 152*

Roughly ground coffee added directly to secondary.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Josh Wow posted:

Jesus christ people brett is just yeast. I've done 20 gallons of brett beers (two 100%, two 50/50 brett/sach) this year and I've had no cross contamination issues. My secret is I wash and sanitize everything like I always do.

I think the reason people are so fearful of brett contamination vs other yeast contamination is that brett will keep on fermenting your beer well after a sacc yeast would finish. You never hear people complain about their beer being "infected" with US-05 because even if the contamination was there, it wouldn't be able to take hold in the face of a good pitch.

That said, I may experiment by doing a brett beer in one of my "clean" carboys and then doing a beer afterward that may benefit from brett in some way (witbier?) in the same carboy to see if an infection takes hold despite good sanitation.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

Toebone posted:

My brew club is having a malt liquor party at the end of the summer. Anyone have any tips for brewing one and not having it turn out like rear end? I was thinking just 2-row, some crystal, and a poo poo-load of corn sugar. We're supposed to be aiming for at least 50% of our gravity coming from adjuncts.

I remember listening to a Can you Brew it? Episode on Rogue's Daddy's Little Helper. It was a very simple recipe with some flaked corn I think.

e: Found it http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you-brew-recipe-rogue-daddys-little-helper-175557/

Toxx
Aug 25, 2002

Josh Wow posted:

I used to work for Terrapin although I was in packaging and not brewing. I can give you a little insight though. Here's the list of hops and malt from the website:

Sweet, thank you sir.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

crazyfish posted:

I think the reason people are so fearful of brett contamination vs other yeast contamination is that brett will keep on fermenting your beer well after a sacc yeast would finish. You never hear people complain about their beer being "infected" with US-05 because even if the contamination was there, it wouldn't be able to take hold in the face of a good pitch.

That said, I may experiment by doing a brett beer in one of my "clean" carboys and then doing a beer afterward that may benefit from brett in some way (witbier?) in the same carboy to see if an infection takes hold despite good sanitation.

People should worry about Brett pretty much as much as they should worry about French Saison.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Josh Wow posted:

People should worry about Brett pretty much as much as they should worry about French Saison.

I kinda disagree with this, brett can be much smaller than sacch and can more easily get into micro cracks and little crevices more easily. And since brett can eat things that sacch cannot, a brett infection can quickly build up to noticeable levels even if the sacch ferments out most of the simple sugars, where as unwanted sacch would be out competed by whatever other sacch you pitched. The American Sour Beers book actually goes into detail about this and how the comparison is not really accurate. If your fermenter is glass/SS and not easily scratched like plastic then it is less of an issue since the brett won't have many places to hide.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

I did primary for all my brett beers in plastic buckets, leaving them for 3 weeks each. I use the same autosiphon for all my brett and sach beers. I've since done a farmhouse IPA, english pale ale, cream ale, blonde ale and a black saison in those same buckets using the same autosiphon with no cross contamination. It really is ok to just do your normal washing and sanitizing routine. This assumes your normal routine doesn't suck of course.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
I also think that any contamination that would go through wouldn't have the time spoil your batch unless it was something you're aging. Like barley wines, RIS, mead /wine, etc.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Marshmallow Blue posted:

I also think that any contamination that would go through wouldn't have the time spoil your batch unless it was something you're aging. Like barley wines, RIS, mead /wine, etc.

Even then I kinda wonder. Dominion had some Millenium barelywine get infected, and after 5+ years it's apparently only just barely starting to funk up. I should probably take my bottle out of the fridge for 6 months and then give it a shot.

(PS Millenium is a bad beer, too sweet - I bought this for the brett curiosity)

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/citrus-saison-a-caison

Need to add the lemongrass and maybe ginger to boil. Then splitting it into 3 with secondary additions, one with kaffir lime and maybe galangal, one with curry leaves, and one plain maybe dry hopped.

WAIL
Jan 31, 2007

I Dunno
Does anyone have any experience with the fruit wine bases by Vitners Harvest? I've got a few sours in the pipeline that I would like to fruit, and if the quality is any good I could use a can to expand my options on what fruits I could use.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Has anyone used Mangrove Jack's M10 Workhorse yeast?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

WAIL posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the fruit wine bases by Vitners Harvest? I've got a few sours in the pipeline that I would like to fruit, and if the quality is any good I could use a can to expand my options on what fruits I could use.

I added a can of the black currant fruit wine base to a sour red a few months ago. I pulled my first sample about a week ago and the flavor was great but it seemed overly tannic. I'm sure it's just young and will eventually mellow out but I would probably use less than a full can next time.

One weird thing about those fruit wine bases is that there's hardly any sugar in them, I think I measured it around 1.010.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

Josh Wow posted:

His question was about how to keep brett, but drop the lacto/pedio. Get a grip.

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Also, Josh, just because "it didn't happen to me" doesn't mean it's not entirely possible. Jerome is right that brett can be significantly smaller (3x) than sacc, and in this case lacto & pedio is smaller still. I haven't had a brett cross contamination either, but that doesn't mean I'm not careful.

WAIL posted:

Those are available via our group buy and people love them. I haven't used them as I like fresh, so I can't speak first hand of their quality.

Jacobey000 fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 3, 2014

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Brewday went very well on Tuesday, ended up with 21liters (just over 5 US gallons) of soon to be lambic beer. I hit over 100% brewing efficiency though and ended up with the OG being 1.082 so I'm abit worried it may be abit strong for some of the bugs, hopefully not though as I've seen some 8 and 9% lambics. I think though I'll do a couple more lambics and start with a lower grainbill (over the four hour boil I lost about half the wort, was going to do 6hours but I would have been left with 3gallons). Most likely going to be blended with less strong lambics in future depending on how it seems to be in 3 years time. All round good brewday, brewing American IPA Lemongrass on Saturday and in a couple of weeks time a Flemish red. :)

DontAskKant posted:

https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/citrus-saison-a-caison

Need to add the lemongrass and maybe ginger to boil. Then splitting it into 3 with secondary additions, one with kaffir lime and maybe galangal, one with curry leaves, and one plain maybe dry hopped.

Sounds good man! The curry leaves one will be interesting to hear how it turned out!!

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Fluo posted:

Brewday went very well on Tuesday, ended up with 21liters (just over 5 US gallons) of soon to be lambic beer. I hit over 100% brewing efficiency though and ended up with the OG being 1.082 so I'm abit worried it may be abit strong for some of the bugs, hopefully not though as I've seen some 8 and 9% lambics. I think though I'll do a couple more lambics and start with a lower grainbill (over the four hour boil I lost about half the wort, was going to do 6hours but I would have been left with 3gallons). Most likely going to be blended with less strong lambics in future depending on how it seems to be in 3 years time. All round good brewday, brewing American IPA Lemongrass on Saturday and in a couple of weeks time a Flemish red. :)

Sounds good man! The curry leaves one will be interesting to hear how it turned out!!

You could dilute a tiny bit, but If I recall, my lambic mead started at 1.065 then I added malto-dextrin on top of that. So you're probably fine.

I wish I had the :homebrew: to continue doing batches every month, but my wife is a teacher so I'm the only bread maker in the house til September. But I am pushing to get a couple brett vials (C and B) to use for 100% Brett meads of my leftover honey supplies. I've decided that this is a better way to go instead of separating the brett from my bug yeast blend (which is currently making some super sour mead).

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Marshmallow Blue posted:

You could dilute a tiny bit, but If I recall, my lambic mead started at 1.065 then I added malto-dextrin on top of that. So you're probably fine.

I wish I had the :homebrew: to continue doing batches every month, but my wife is a teacher so I'm the only bread maker in the house til September. But I am pushing to get a couple brett vials (C and B) to use for 100% Brett meads of my leftover honey supplies. I've decided that this is a better way to go instead of separating the brett from my bug yeast blend (which is currently making some super sour mead).

Oh I know the feeling, for me its more so "loving hell I'm out of bottles" "gently caress I don't have enough buckets / carboys". :(
So its a juggling act between having the carboys used and having enough bottles. Hopefully in a couple of months I will get some more buckets and carboys, aswell as bottles. A mate who runs a pub gives me tons every once in awhile which I have to hype myself to get around to delabelling. :(
That mead sounds great by the way! :D

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Fluo posted:

100% brewing efficiency

Uh what?
E: I suppose I should explain, 100% mash efficiency is not really possible on a homebrew scale, so your calculations must be wrong somewhere.

Flea Bargain fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 3, 2014

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
I think he just means he overshot his OG calculation.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Marshmallow Blue posted:

OK, so he just needs to dilute down I guess? No need to stress about doing a high gravity beer when you can just add the water you boiled away back in.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I brewed up the hibiscus wit from Mad Fermentationist fermented with Belle Saison and hot drat if this isn't the best summer beer I've ever made. :c00l:

My only criticism is that the hibiscus flavor is slightly subdued, so if I were to do it again I would probably mash a little lower to maintain a bit more residual sugar, and then ultra-concentrate the tea (or just use more). Other than that it's exactly what I was shooting for.

I'm bringing 5 gallons of this and 5 gallons of carbonated skeeterpee on a 4th of July trip to Maine with a bunch of buddies. It's always exciting to watch your friends get poo poo housed on your hard work.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Fluo posted:

All round good brewday, brewing American IPA Lemongrass on Saturday and in a couple of weeks time a Flemish red.

How much lemongrass are you planning on?
I have a gallon of sour bugs and trying to figure out how to use them. Maybe half into a saison at first pitch and then save the other half for something else.

How do people usually manage yeasts blending with soleras. Like if my first is a saison yeast should I stay close to type for the lifetime of the solera? Maybe i should put that in quotes because we're pulling it after 3 months and adding another batch in so we should have 4 beers in that carboy 'solera' by a year.

All you guys talking about costs... I didn't appreciate how cheap brewing was in America until i came to Korea. You guys don't even want to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Yeah, we've had this come up before - there was someone who was claiming >100% pretty regularly as I recall. There's some piece of software, I forget which one, that presents an "efficiency" number which is really meta-efficiency: how efficient the mash was compared to your expected efficiency. So if that software says 100%, it's because you actually got 75% or whatever you expected to get.