Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

paragon1 posted:

Radium infused paints used to be an industry.

Their attempt to branch out into Radium infused forums code went about as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
When the servers reached a high enough temperature, the glue holding them together evaporated. This released the radium into the air, lethally poisoning everyone in the data-center.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

XyloJW posted:

Yeah the whole "comedy punches up" thing is a silly trope. Plenty of good comedy is mean spirited or just doesn't punch up or down, it's irrelevant.

Oh, okay, load me up with examples of funny comedy that makes fun of poor people and minorities.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

R. Mute posted:

i've never heard of her but it does lead me to the following question: do people actually consider saturday night live to be funny? i mean, i've only seen clips, but it always seems like they have a bland joke and then stretch that joke into a ten minute sketch.
With SNL, the older the better. 70's had Bill Murray, John Belushi, Dan Ackroyd, Gilda Radner. 80's had Eddie Murphy, Dana Carvey, Mike Meyers. You'll notice that people from the 80's are no longer funny :( 90's and onward is more bad than good IMO.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

SedanChair posted:

Oh, okay, load me up with examples of funny comedy that makes fun of poor people and minorities.
Oh yeah, I remember that thread. Well the experiment was going okay until...

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I mean, failing that, I'll take examples of comedy that makes fun of the underside of any dualistic power relation.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

if you're 15 years old: south park?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

XyloJW posted:

Much like embedding music into threads, I believe that's no longer an option.

If the code is gone, I will rewrite it myself.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SedanChair posted:

I mean, failing that, I'll take examples of comedy that makes fun of the underside of any dualistic power relation.

You ever notice how the proletariate walk like this, but the bourgeoisie walk like this?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Who What Now posted:

You ever notice how the proletariate walk like this, but the bourgeoisie walk like this?

trick question, walking is for poor people

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

SedanChair posted:

Well, obviously you're not going to find it funny/are going to find it offensive but I think Bill Burr's "You people are all the same" is great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BSlqZYtWzQ

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I obviously can't watch the entire thing to pick out examples right now, but Bill Burr is hilarious. What in particular are you thinking of that is punching down? He is constantly making fun of yuppies and hipsters and white folks and people who worship Steve Jobs.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

SedanChair posted:

I obviously can't watch the entire thing to pick out examples right now, but Bill Burr is hilarious. What in particular are you thinking of that is punching down? He is constantly making fun of yuppies and hipsters and white folks and people who worship Steve Jobs.
(Gold-diggers and wife-beating are the two that come to mind.)

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlvvCYUDHrQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0gaYyNk7QA

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

SubponticatePoster posted:

With SNL, the older the better. 70's had Bill Murray, John Belushi, Dan Ackroyd, Gilda Radner. 80's had Eddie Murphy, Dana Carvey, Mike Meyers. You'll notice that people from the 80's are no longer funny :( 90's and onward is more bad than good IMO.

Dan Ackroyd isn't that funny anymore either. Remember his rant in Blues Brothers 2000--it's okay if you don't--where he goes off for a few minutes about how kids these days all listen to rap and hip-hop and that's not real music?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Chantilly Say posted:

Dan Ackroyd isn't that funny anymore either. Remember his rant in Blues Brothers 2000--it's okay if you don't--where he goes off for a few minutes about how kids these days all listen to rap and hip-hop and that's not real music?

When I think of how Dan Ackroyd isn't funny anymore I think of his insane alien conspiracy rants and how 9/11 scared away all the extraterrestrials and now they won't talk to us.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Chantilly Say posted:

Ackroyd kinda lost it when he decided that Ghostbusters was a documentary, and has gone down hill ever since.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

pangstrom posted:

(Gold-diggers and wife-beating are the two that come to mind.)

You're putting me in the position of having to explain jokes here, but that entire first bit is in the context of making fun of himself and all men for being hair-trigger morons.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

XyloJW posted:

Yeah the whole "comedy punches up" thing is a silly trope. Plenty of good comedy is mean spirited or just doesn't punch up or down, it's irrelevant.

SedanChair posted:

I'm saying comedy is not dependent on the politics. You're asking for explicitly political comedy that you will subjectively think is funny, which is utterly missing my point. There's no "punching up" with slapstick, which admittedly isn't a very sophisticated form of comedy but it's easy to discuss. It's, as you say, making funny faces. It's bereft of politics, and thus, there probably are plenty of conservative comedians, who have a very good sense of what will make people laugh, who just entirely avoid politics.

There's also shock comedy, which again, not terribly sophisticated and more often done poorly than done well, but still proves the point that a joke can be mean spirited and funny.

I'm saying the whole "comedy has to punch up to be funny" is not true.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

e X posted:

Are there actually any popular right leaning comedians? The only one I can think of is Jeff Dunham, and everybody seem to hate him.

P. J. O'Rourke can be hilarious. He's a satirist though.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

SedanChair posted:

You're putting me in the position of having to explain jokes here, but that entire first bit is in the context of making fun of himself and all men for being hair-trigger morons.
Yeah, no. He switches gears here and there and there is a lot of "finessing" to keep the room from revolting but there are large chunks where the context really is just "society doesn't judge women enough"/"judges great men too much"/"there are reasons to hit women"

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Maybe you just lack a sense of humor. You seem to be too angry for humor. Some of the best humor is self a deprecatory, but you need self awareness for that.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Self-deprecating humor is great, like that Bill Burr bit. And I think a lot of you mistake "writing clearly" for "anger" tbh

XyloJW posted:

I'm saying the whole "comedy has to punch up to be funny" is not true.

Well I mean obviously there is comedy that is just about a dog falling off a pier or something. The point is that a powerful person making fun of a powerless one isn't funny. The "not punching down" part is more important than the "punching up" part.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

that actually reminds me of another piece of downwards punching comedy and that's eddie murphy. both raw and delirious have some very 80's jokes about homosexuals. and there's definitely some stuff in there that could be seen as misogynistic (especially in raw), but i'm more inclined to just saying that it's down to murphy being incredibly jaded during that time. funny, tho.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Dan now spends his days trying to sell overpriced vodka in ridiculous packaging.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

R. Mute posted:

that actually reminds me of another piece of downwards punching comedy and that's eddie murphy. both raw and delirious have some very 80's jokes about homosexuals. and there's definitely some stuff in there that could be seen as misogynistic (especially in raw), but i'm more inclined to just saying that it's down to murphy being incredibly jaded during that time. funny, tho.

The "faggots can't look at my rear end when I walk, I can tell because it gets hot" bit is funny because of his massive paranoia about being called homosexual. He said that the worst part about getting AIDS was that the doctor would think he was gay. Turned out there was a little behind his homophobia.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Someone prove me wrong on this completely subjective matter. I dare you.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I think a lot of the Freep thread is punching down. Freepers are often very old, sickly, dirt poor, and impotent in more ways than one. But that doesn't make making fun of them any less funny or satisfying.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Joementum posted:

Dan now spends his days trying to sell overpriced vodka in ridiculous packaging.

The fact that it's not named Cristal Skull is a real missed opportunity.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

R. Mute posted:

i don't know how popular they are, but larry the cable guy and his ilk?

Pretty sure Larry hasn't been popular for almost a decade now. Blue Collar Comedy Tour was in '03, Cars was '06. I guess Scott Adams technically qualifies?

Oh that's right Ben Stein was in Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

SedanChair posted:

The "faggots can't look at my rear end when I walk, I can tell because it gets hot" bit is funny because of his massive paranoia about being called homosexual. He said that the worst part about getting AIDS was that the doctor would think he was gay. Turned out there was a little behind his homophobia.
i don't know what you're saying. it isn't homophobia? it isn't funny? what? what? what?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
It's inadvertently funny.

I actually remember having this discussion and coming up with honest-to-goodness, conservative, down-punching humor: bear-baiting.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Who What Now posted:

I think a lot of the Freep thread is punching down. Freepers are often very old, sickly, dirt poor, and impotent in more ways than one. But that doesn't make making fun of them any less funny or satisfying.

Are there people who think the Freep thread is funny and not a horrifying, cautionary look into a culture of end-stage psychopathic hatred of everything in three-dimensional physical reality? :stare:

Because that thread's about as funny as a tour of a loving death camp circa 1944. I LOL pretty often at what I read on SA and I honestly had to stop reading the Freep thread because it was just so incredibly depressing to be reminded that people who have demonstrably learned at least the basics of reading and writing at some point can be so unbelievably vile towards the entire world outside of themselves.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i don't think that's why all those people at his shows were laughing

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

JonathonSpectre posted:

Are there people who think the Freep thread is funny and not a horrifying, cautionary look into a culture of end-stage psychopathic hatred of everything in three-dimensional physical reality? :stare:

Because that thread's about as funny as a tour of a loving death camp circa 1944. I LOL pretty often at what I read on SA and I honestly had to stop reading the Freep thread because it was just so incredibly depressing to be reminded that people who have demonstrably learned at least the basics of reading and writing at some point can be so unbelievably vile towards the entire world outside of themselves.

Freepers themselves are not funny. Jokes at the expense of Freepers are. But it's certainly an acquired humor, and not really one you should want to acquire. :smith:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Who What Now posted:

Freepers themselves are not funny. Jokes at the expense of Freepers are. But it's certainly an acquired humor, and not really one you should want to acquire. :smith:

We laugh, because the alternative is uncontrollable sobbing.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'm just saying maybe we should give that whole Logan's Run society thing a shot until I get old then we can stop.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Who What Now posted:

I don't see much humor in gathering a bunch of like-minded people to mock someone unpopular, as abhorrent as that person pr group is. Seems pathetic and lemminglike. Definitely not cracking debate.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

TheImmigrant posted:

I don't see much humor in gathering a bunch of like-minded people to mock someone unpopular, as abhorrent as that person is. Seems pathetic and lemminglike.

You clearly are unfamiliar with the personality cult of dalereed.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

TheImmigrant posted:

I don't see much humor in gathering a bunch of like-minded people to mock someone unpopular, as abhorrent as that person pr group is. Seems pathetic and lemminglike. Definitely not cracking debate.

It's not meant to be a debate. So I'm guessing the entire point just flew way over your head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lothar_
Sep 11, 2001

Don't Date Robots!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

We laugh, because the alternative is uncontrollable sobbing.

Or not reading the thread, but, whatever.

• Locked thread