Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What are you trying to be?

Dammit guys, now look what you've done. :mad:

Ka0 posted:

Break from all the movie spoiler talk; you guys sure I'm supposed to hate Energon toys?

Realtalk: Energon Insecticon is pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Movie was ok, not nearly as bad as I was expecting but not that great either. I think I enjoyed it more than I did the previous three, but as I've said, I absolutely can not stand the first one anymore. I liked how Bumblebee was still the 'human relations' guy a little but mostly just saved them, and Hound was good. Lockdown was good, if suddenly dumb for plot, but I really liked that thing Vangelus pointed out where he has sort of a quiet theme in some scenes. Movie could use better editing and better connective scenes instead of derping around.

Galvatron - they really should have written a short scene to pick up on the implication he named himself. It is sort of maybe in the film, but if they'd had a shot of Joshua realizing he was making his own body and naming himself, maybe say 'wait when did we focus group that name?' it would have added a bit more to the scene with Attinger where he's putting it together

I liked the design of the "drones" and I liked how they moved, but the morphing animation is absolutely awful and just really stupid.

Inversely Optimus - said he was going to kill Attinger earlier in the film but they never really show him reacting to the knowledge. The KSI scene should have emphasized the idea he wants revenge on the right person rather than him just getting moody and wandering off, and then Cade should have in some way told him "this is the guy" and put it together. It's weird that critical plot points like that are ignored while dumb stuff like THE BIGGEST CITY is repeated over and over and over.

Oh and yeah the Dinobots - could have used a couple minutes of them talking, especially at the end. The scenes were written very strangely - the CGI was excellent and I liked the little details, like Strafe swooping in to grab Slug, and his refusing to be pulled up while 'walking' upside down on that building. I don't understand at all why they didn't. It really worsened the film, I think, and it seems like such a minor litle thing. Just have Scorn say a few words then bonk Crosshairs on the head before leaving. Inversely where the gently caress were they even going? The ending to this movie is just loving surreal on som many levels.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
In the very first Transformers film, ex-thief Mikaela calls Sam out on his privilege:

"When have you had to sacrifice anything in your perfect little life?"

TF1 is explicitly and unambiguously about class.

The entirety of Transformers 3 is about Sam freaking the gently caress out because his sense of entitlement does not match reality. Mikaela's dumped him, and he's having a prolonged mental breakdown. He realizes he has accomplished very little, and is worse off than ever before. Everything he was taught to value is worth very little.

TF3 is explicitly and unambiguously about the ideological failures of the previous films.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Please return to the Cinema Discusso Pacific Rim ghetto, SMG.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I am very interested in Transformers 4: Age Of Extinction.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Please return to the Cinema Discusso Pacific Rim ghetto, SMG.

No way, he heard people were saying good things about giant robots and that just cannot stand.

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012
Transformers 4 was about the shift from concentrated power (old military, dinosaurs) to diffuse power (drones, social media, etc.) and everything it entails. Good movie.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Blackheart posted:

Nobody could ever hate Energon Mirage. Unless you don't have a heart.

He's pretty much the only goof Energon toy.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
It was fun guys, but SMG has invaded the thread, it's time to close it before it's too late and it becomes Cinema Discusso in here.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Gammatron 64 posted:

It was fun guys, but SMG has invaded the thread, it's time to close it before it's too late and it becomes Cinema Discusso in here.

"invaded"

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

"Infected" might be more accurate.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blackheart posted:

"Infected" might be more accurate.

Is that what this rash is?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

S-Alpha posted:

No way, he heard people were saying good things about giant robots and that just cannot stand.

Transformers 3 is one of the top films of 2011 you goof.

Most people in this thread have a weird hatred of these films - "shallow, repulsive," etc. I think they're great.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

I think they're great.

Oh dear guys he said they are great let's all freak out and give him more attention!

SMG I actually like reading your posts but we all have a lot of genuine enthusiasm for our dumb plastic toys for babies and comic books for manchildren so please stop trying to post here.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Most people in this thread have a weird hatred of these films - "shallow, repulsive," etc. I think they're great.

Can you keep this in the CineD thread, SMG? This thread isn't just for the films, it's for the toys and comics and shows, too, so unless you have Big Opinions about those, kindly frogout.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

There's been quite a few people who have expressed their like for the movies in this thread.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Sorry if this is too niche but can I run a dumb custom idea past you guys? I'm slowly but surely putting together a Classics Liokaiser, and I've been trying to puzzle out what mold(s) to use for Jallguar (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Jallguar). So far I'd been planning to use Universe Hound, but it's really more of a "can't think of a better option" choice. Jallguar has such a weird alt-mode I just can't figure out a better base mold. Any ideas?

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
Well, there's Cybertron Hardtop/Swindle, whose altmode looks really quite similar to Jallguar's. Being a scout he's probably a touch smaller than your other components, but since he's the waist and not a limb perhaps it's not too critical.

Sounds like a really interesting/imposing project. Can you share a bit more on how you're going about it?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Art creates a reaction. It's not always positive, and it makes a statement about the viewer.

My reaction to transforming robot toys and the media surrounding them are generally positive.

More movie stuff about Lockdown: He has a gently caress deficit; that is how many fucks he gives about all of this. If the stupid humans want to kill themselves to bring him his prize and then kill themselves some more afterwards with theirs, that's their business. He has been charged by the Creators to fulfill his purpose, and says as much to Prime before their final fight. He feels both factions have strayed from their purpose (similar to the Quintessons' purpose for the G1 Cybertronians) and that he is the only one with a sense of honor. Prime disagrees, and holds to his code (which isn't the Superman code, it's that of a fairly benevolent warlord who tries to limit civilian casualties or fatalities) and that's why he says "Honor to the last." That, and several lines in the movie probably sound better in Mandarin, like "Biggest City (Hail The Glorious People's Republic Of China!"

I don't know, I went into the movie knowing all the negative things some of you were saying and, as usual, things weren't as bad as a Goon said it would be. I could follow everything, it was long enough to justify the movie ticket price and continuity errors from the last couple of movies were there but that's part of the "reboot" I guess.

So, Maketoys' Quantron and Green Giant, are taunting me something fierce. Has anyone heard if Hasbro/Takara is going to make new Generations versions of those? Those are the combiners from each side I really want the most, having nearly completed them as a kid. I just can't spend nearly a thousand dollars on transforming robots.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Terry van Feleday posted:

Well, there's Cybertron Hardtop/Swindle, whose altmode looks really quite similar to Jallguar's. Being a scout he's probably a touch smaller than your other components, but since he's the waist and not a limb perhaps it's not too critical.

Sounds like a really interesting/imposing project. Can you share a bit more on how you're going about it?

You're right, I'm generally trying to stay away from scouts. I appreciate the idea but it feels kind of like a lateral move to me. Your suggestion made me realize that part of what's missing is the big dumb leg cannons in vehicle mode, which calls for Energon Onslaught. Maybe? He's just so drat chunky.

So far my plan is:

1. Complete a decent Leozack years ago.
2. Plan the other guys obsessively, not pulling the trigger until starting work on Jallguar's head this past weekend.
3. Make all the dudes.
4. Worry about making the giant robot form some time before I die.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
What moulds have you picked out for the other guys so far?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

His altmode kinda reminds me of this guy?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

and that's why he says "Honor to the last." That, and several lines in the movie probably sound better in Mandarin, like "Biggest City (Hail The Glorious People's Republic Of China!"
Nah, that line is a reference to a sort of half implied idea that Lockdown is one of the knights who betrayed the order or at least a reference to Prime's membership in the knights, who were looking for cyberutopia their creators. Hence the line 'the legends are true'.

Oh and it is worth noting that there is a very direct parallel between the scene where Lockdown extracts Ratchet's spark and then they point at it and call it a soul. So Ratchet and some of the others may not actually be 'dead' just yet.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Sorry if this is too niche but can I run a dumb custom idea past you guys? I'm slowly but surely putting together a Classics Liokaiser, and I've been trying to puzzle out what mold(s) to use for Jallguar (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Jallguar). So far I'd been planning to use Universe Hound, but it's really more of a "can't think of a better option" choice. Jallguar has such a weird alt-mode I just can't figure out a better base mold. Any ideas?

If you just want to make the characters and don't care about size or making them combine, there's Energon Beachcomber.

drat it, I'm going to seriously engage SMG.

A lot of Transformers fans hate the movies for the same reason why a lot of Godzilla fans hate the '98 Godzilla. It's natural to take artistic liberties when you update something but there's also making something completely different and then slapping a familiar name on it. People expected to see robots with similar characterization to the source material (and in many cases, any characterization at all beyond a single line or two) so it should come as no surprise that the movies really disappointed people.

You think that it's really weird that people in this thread tend to dislike the movies, but I think it's only natural that a lot of people who were really into Transformers prior to the movies wouldn't be so keen on them. The vast majority of the film's audience aren't bothered by Optimus Prime being a psychopath, Starscream never trying to rebel or most of the robots having no characterization because they just don't care about that kind of stuff as they're not diehard fans of the prior material. Those diehard fans are sometimes really disappointed by what they see, though. And that disappointment often manifests itself as anger.

Now, you can have movies that differ wildly from the source material so much that they barely resemble it and still have them be good. X-Men: First Class shits all over the comics but it's still a decent movie overall. Starship Troopers goes to far as to parody Heinlein's fascist leanings and is a million times better than the book.

The Transformers movies just aren't great movies aside from that, though. The narratives of the second and third movies are such a mess that I don't even feel like going into it and you've probably heard it all already, anyway. The plots make no sense, the action scenes are chaotic and hard to follow, characters are often obnoxious and we aren't rooting for them (Shia LeBeef, the twins, etc.), a lot of the humor is often racist\sexist or simply falls flat... you've heard this all a million times from a million reviews.

If you like the movies and like to extrapolate some brilliant subtext from them then great. But not everyone interprets them the same way and not everyone enjoys them.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 30, 2014

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Terry van Feleday posted:

What moulds have you picked out for the other guys so far?

All will have custom heads/appurtenances but for core molds:

Astrotrain for Drillhorn
Deluxe 2006 Megatron for Killbison
DOTM Space Case for Hellbat
gently caress if I Know but Not The Goddam Classic Seeker Mold for Guyhawk
GDO Springer for Deathcobra (if I'm feeling sassy)

Here's my big dumb thread about making Leozack:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/542034-leozack-wip-i-could-use-some-input.html

Blackheart posted:

His altmode kinda reminds me of this guy?

Ooh neat, I like that idea. I wonder if I can find a kitty head/hat that big.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Why cookie Rocket posted:

The Energon Cliffjumper/Beachcomber mold seems to fit the alt mode fairly well, just tweak bot mode a bit:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Spiderdrake posted:

Nah, that line is a reference to a sort of half implied idea that Lockdown is one of the knights who betrayed the order or at least a reference to Prime's membership in the knights, who were looking for cyberutopia their creators. Hence the line 'the legends are true'.

Oh and it is worth noting that there is a very direct parallel between the scene where Lockdown extracts Ratchet's spark and then they point at it and call it a soul. So Ratchet and some of the others may not actually be 'dead' just yet.

Or both. Lockdown could be the Cybertronian equivalent of a blackguard. That's a good observation, I had forgotten about that.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Is that person who did the "I actually like Bay's TF movies" thread going to update to include TF4?

Can we commission that project, if it's not already in the works??

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

3 posted:

The Energon Cliffjumper/Beachcomber mold seems to fit the alt mode fairly well, just tweak bot mode a bit:

What's funny about this is when I started, I was at a level where my response was "It's cool but the shoulders are too big :(" and now my response is "yeah that could work, I can just chop those dumbass shoulders off and shorten up the cockpit." This is why I asked for everyone's advice, a fresh set of eyes/ideas.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

DoctorWhat posted:

Can you keep this in the CineD thread, SMG? This thread isn't just for the films, it's for the toys and comics and shows, too, so unless you have Big Opinions about those, kindly frogout.

I have opinions on toys.

Gammatron 64 posted:

People expected to see robots with similar characterization to the source material [...] a lot of the humor is often racist\sexist or simply falls flat...

The films aren't that different. You actually are seeing the same characters from a different perspective. Bay's films underline the subjective experiences of the protagonists. When people complain that events are unrealistic or cartoonish, this is because we are seeing them through the eyes of various people. Optimus in the first film paints himself as a hero - literally. When he appears drastically different (as a psychopath, in later films) you are seeing him more from the perspective of the Decepticons.

The infamous scene of Mikaela bent over under the hood of Sam's Camaro, for example: that is how Sam sees her. He pretty much ignores what she's saying and looks at her as an object. She is actually saying complex stuff about her relationships and her experiences growing up. That's when Sam drops the groanworthy line: 'I think there's a lot more than meets the eye with you.' That impresses her, but the problem is that his words don't match his behavior. The message is that this is going to be a bad relationship, and Bumblebee has been subtly manipulating the whole thing. Proof that it's a bad relationship: she dumps him and he's very bitter over it.

In the second film, Bee aggressively fends off Sam's would-be new girlfriend. At the end of the third film, Bee showers the couple with wedding rings.

The idea that Sam's material possessions have a life of their own and are manipulating his behavior is the entire point of the films. They are making fun of him. Objectification is not good. When Bee is in car mode, he acts like loving Christine.

There isn't a contradiction between this character and Bumblebee in the original cartoon. His role there was also to serve as a liason, inducting Spike (and, thus, the child audience) into the world of the Autobots. Optimus Prime could then deliver fatherly advice and teach kids right and wrong while also selling toys and justifications for war. The films simply offer a slightly different perspective, where this is fairly insidious. Maybe dad's not such a good guy.

It isn't that the humor is racist/sexist or falls flat. The humor is racist/sexist and falls flat. Sam is usually the one 'telling' the jokes. He is a racist character.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 30, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Again, tying yourself into the knot of every single protagonist in a series that is primarily a tentpole blockbuster/toy ad being secretly the villain and mocking YOU THE VIEWER is, at best, assuming everyone from Bay, to Paramount, to Hasbro are secretly laughing at the audience. You're not presenting this as your reading, you're presenting it as THE reading, and everyone else is wrong. Which, if you truly buy that, fine, but a good comedian can 'feel' the room. If no-one's laughing at the jokes? It's the wrong set for the room, if not a bad set entirely.

No-one's laughing at Transformers in the way you're saying. And that's aside from the structural and filmmaking issues, which, I sincerely disagree with Gammatron. The first movie is way more of a mess than DOTM. DOTM at least knows Sam and Carly are nominally the protagonists. TF1 can barely decide who we're supposed to care about. Sam. Mikaela? His parents? The army guys? Jon Voight, Secretary of Giant Robots? Australian hacker chick and her sidekick, popular character actor Anthony Anderson? I know, I know, ensemble... except that ensembles are supposed to be woven together and they barely even try to do that in act 3. It's full-on Roland Emmerich 'cast of thousands' mode, and NO-ONE barring Sam gets an arc.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Again, tying yourself into the knot of every single protagonist in a series that is primarily a tentpole blockbuster/toy ad being secretly the villain and mocking YOU THE VIEWER is, at best, assuming everyone from Bay, to Paramount, to Hasbro are secretly laughing at the audience. You're not presenting this as your reading, you're presenting it as THE reading, and everyone else is wrong. Which, if you truly buy that, fine, but a good comedian can 'feel' the room. If no-one's laughing at the jokes? It's the wrong set for the room, if not a bad set entirely.

No-one's laughing at Transformers in the way you're saying. And that's aside from the structural and filmmaking issues, which, I sincerely disagree with Gammatron. The first movie is way more of a mess than DOTM. DOTM at least knows Sam and Carly are nominally the protagonists. TF1 can barely decide who we're supposed to care about. Sam. Mikaela? His parents? The army guys? Jon Voight, Secretary of Giant Robots? Australian hacker chick and her sidekick, popular character actor Anthony Anderson? I know, I know, ensemble... except that ensembles are supposed to be woven together and they barely even try to do that in act 3. It's full-on Roland Emmerich 'cast of thousands' mode, and NO-ONE barring Sam gets an arc.

No, you're honestly right. I used to think the first movie was actually pretty okay, but then I watched it again and realized it was a mess. Had it simply followed Sam and Mikaela and cut the army guys and hackers it would have been a much stronger film. Seriously, what did the Aussie chick and her sidekick even add to the movie at all? You could probably cut all of their scenes from the movie and the overall plot would have lost nothing.

Likewise I feel that if Transformers 4 cut down on unnecessary scenes (i.e. the China pandering) and dropped the runtime by 30 mins to an hour it would probably be a fairly enjoyable movie. I was engaged for the first hour or so, but after that I just started getting really, really bored.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

Likewise I feel that if Transformers 4 cut down on unnecessary scenes (i.e. the China pandering) and dropped the runtime by 30 mins to an hour it would probably be a fairly enjoyable movie. I was engaged for the first hour or so, but after that I just started getting really, really bored.
Yeah, it really could have done better if it cut a good 30 minutes of pandering and nonsense, then added maybe 15 minutes of the missing explanations for a couple of the key things hinted at or underdeveloped.

I did really appreciate that the boyfriend wasn't presented as some ultra-bad rear end but still tried and by the end the dad said yeah, you're alright instead of going for some lovely comedy or something involving Bumblebee. Like things on, on top of, or coming out of Bumblebee.

Oh related to that the bumblebee toy does not have satanic star hands - those are 5mm post weapons, I think, and his hands are molded in legion class style from the looks of it.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

I have opinions on toys.

Oh, do tell.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The Target Grimlock/Optimus 2 pack had AOE instructions not unchanged Classics Generations instructions. :negative:

I kinda wish they would use the G2 color scheme because all 3 molds look honestly around the same. Now I've got 3 mostly looking the same grimlocks. I feel obligated to get all the Non-Classics Generations repaints of Generation molds for the Movie Generations line so he's just not the odd man out generally speaking.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 30, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

The Taint Reaper posted:

The Target Grimlock/Optimus 2 pack had AOE instructions not unchanged Classics Generations instructions. :negative:

I kinda wish they would use the G2 color scheme because all 3 molds look honestly around the same. Now I've got 3 mostly looking the same grimlocks. I feel obligated to get all the Non-Classics Generations repaints of Generation molds for the Movie Generations line so he's just not the odd man out generally speaking.

Just give me the Grimlock, everybody wins.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

It's OK if you just write "generations" somewhere on the instruction sheet or box? Just see what happens.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

No, you're honestly right. I used to think the first movie was actually pretty okay, but then I watched it again and realized it was a mess. Had it simply followed Sam and Mikaela and cut the army guys and hackers it would have been a much stronger film. Seriously, what did the Aussie chick and her sidekick even add to the movie at all? You could probably cut all of their scenes from the movie and the overall plot would have lost nothing.

Ironically, I think I find the Aussie girl more endearing AND more attractive that Mikaela (and yeesh, the Mikaela Baynes thing barely requires psychoanalysis to be creepy) mostly because Bay barely acknowledges other women are women when Fox is in the film, so she gets to just be a character instead. A thinly drawn one that devolves into comic relief at the end, but still... I'd rather watch 90 minutes of her uncovering a conspiracy to keep the Transformers under wraps than the Beef.

It'd also be so easy to solve both that issue AND the robots having no personality. Just do the Prime thing and have a human pair off with an Autobot early on. Instead of Sam getting Bumblebee and that's it, have the army guys team up with Ratchet. Have Aussie chick meet Arcee. And you can have some mini-arcs between human and robot. (And y'know, make Anderson and Bernie Mac's characters less racist.)

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Mikaela (and yeesh, the Mikaela Baynes thing barely requires psychoanalysis to be creepy)

:aaaaa:

I never realized until now. Holy moly that is gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This thread's current trajectory: