Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
The third season of Lost Girl is actually pretty decent. It starts to become a bit more like buffy the vampire slayer and deals with the character relationships better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

"What About Bob?" is on Netflix. I just noticed, and obviously I need to watch it immediately.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

British Netflix has season 5 of Archer (now Archer Vice). It's not bad. They harp on a lot of the same jokes as this season is nearly just one story. Not sure how many more seasons the show is getting but it feels like it's running out of steam.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I've watched about 1/3 of S5 and don't feel I need to watch the rest. It's not even mildly amusing to me anymore.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
I like watching stand-up specials. I saw that Maria Bamford had one on Nextflix. I recognized her from Arrested Development, and I was curious about the description, so I put it on.

First off, it's not really stand-up, it's more like performance art. She's performing to an audience of only her parents, at her own house. The jokes are all strange and seem to lack any actual humor, just focusing on total strangeness. It's audience torture, plain and simple. Imagine if Samuel Beckett did stand-up comedy. On one hand, I'm gonna ask that nobody actually click on it, as I'm sure they make revenue off every click. On the other, it seems so surreal that it would be nice to have someone else confirm that it actually exists. Also, I'm curious if it gets any better, as I had to turn it off after about 15 minutes.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

trapped mouse posted:

I like watching stand-up specials. I saw that Maria Bamford had one on Nextflix. I recognized her from Arrested Development, and I was curious about the description, so I put it on.

First off, it's not really stand-up, it's more like performance art. She's performing to an audience of only her parents, at her own house. The jokes are all strange and seem to lack any actual humor, just focusing on total strangeness. It's audience torture, plain and simple. Imagine if Samuel Beckett did stand-up comedy. On one hand, I'm gonna ask that nobody actually click on it, as I'm sure they make revenue off every click. On the other, it seems so surreal that it would be nice to have someone else confirm that it actually exists. Also, I'm curious if it gets any better, as I had to turn it off after about 15 minutes.

That special is really good. I guess it's subjective. Bamford's stuff is really polarizing, and that special is the worst if you don't like her brand of comedy. She's a nutcase and that's what makes it interesting to me.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

trapped mouse posted:

Yes it exists. I love Maria Bamford's stand up from previous experience, but this 'Special' is probably not a good way to introduce yourself to her.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

bunky posted:

That special is really good. I guess it's subjective. Bamford's stuff is really polarizing, and that special is the worst if you don't like her brand of comedy. She's a nutcase and that's what makes it interesting to me.

I am a huge fan of nutcases. I love Emo Philips, Tyler the Creator, people who are strange and have actual talent are my jam. I didn't get that vibe from this special.

Meow Cadet posted:

Yes it exists. I love Maria Bamford's stand up from previous experience, but this 'Special' is probably not a good way to introduce yourself to her.

I am open to finding other stuff from her!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Meow Cadet posted:

Exactly. If you're interested in Bamford, look into the Comedians of Comedy DVD. It doesn't seem to be on streaming right now.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
I bought that special on purpose and enjoyed it a lot. I especially loved hearing how on-point her impression of her mom turned out to be in the end.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Season 2, episodes 11-20 of Comedy Bang Bang got up sometime recently. Some really good ones in there.

I love that show. Every rating is either 1 star or 5.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

trapped mouse posted:

[...]

The way you describe it makes it sound sort of like Todd Barry's Crowd Work Tour, which is one of the best standup specials I've ever seen.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

trapped mouse posted:

I actually enjoyed this performance. Yes, she's performing directly to her parents, but there's also production people there who laugh along with her material.

She is funny, but a lot of her material is based on her voice/accent work (she is incredibly talented in mimicry). And this special is experimental, so don't expect the normal set up of "comic on stage doing bits for an hour."

I liked it and don't regret watching.

Greggy posted:

I bought that special on purpose and enjoyed it a lot. I especially loved hearing how on-point her impression of her mom turned out to be in the end.

Haha yessss that was awesome, a surprise laugh.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

ALSO

:siren: Three Men and a Baby :siren: is on Netflix streaming.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

trapped mouse posted:

I didn't think it was that great, but it does turn into something closer to traditional stand-up. It did inspire this imdb review, though:

quote:

Obvious reptilian.

She's an obvious reptilian, and it's obvious to anybody who's seen Just For Laughs/Stand-Up V2 (which I found at Blockbuster). Her pupils are slits more often than they're round. You can witness this especially well if your DVD player has the zoom feature.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

fork bomb posted:

ALSO

:siren: Three Men and a Baby :siren: is on Netflix streaming.

I watched this again recently and was shocked to see the whole coke deal gone wrong subplot. I had no recollection of that at all.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
I always thought Maria Bamford was interesting, but I was never completely on board with her until I heard her interview on the Mental Illness Happy Hour podcast. It was only then that I felt like I understood where she was coming from, and I've been able to connect with her stand-up a lot more after hearing what she's like off-stage, and why she does what she does.

Her album Ask Me About My New God is really good.

Also, I think I remember reading that in addition to the special at her parents house, she recorded the same material in front of an actual audience.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

The parents house special was funny but also illuminating because you actually meet her parents and then you realize her "characters" aren't caricatures of them, but literally exactly them.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Coffee and Cigarettes is available on Netflix. A great Jim Jarmusch film with a ton of famous people having coffee and cigarettes. The RZA/GZA/Bill Murray scene is a classic.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Coffee and cigarettes is uneven, but some of the segments are fantastic. Like all Jarmusch films, it's quiet and requires a bit of attention. If you're looking at your phone, you probably won't enjoy it much. But if you get into its rhythm, it's really funny and strong.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Twenty movies that are leaving Netflix Streaming July 1. You have 10 hours to watch them, so set up an ipad and laptop in the living room so you can multitask.
  1. As Good As It Gets
  2. Bang the Drum Slowly
  3. Chinatown
  4. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
  5. Dr. Strangelove
  6. Event Horizon
  7. Evil Dead II
  8. From Russia With Love
  9. Gattaca
  10. Goldfinger
  11. Lars and the Real Girl
  12. Rocky
  13. Rocky II
  14. Rocky III
  15. Rocky IV
  16. Spaceballs
  17. Taxi Driver
  18. The Odd Couple
  19. The Running Man
  20. The Terminator

What's coming July 1 to fill the void:
http://www.vulture.com/2014/06/whats-new-on-netflix-streaming-july-2014.html

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I know it isn't entirely Netflix fault but their selection continues to degrade. If it weren't for a few tv series I would probably drop the service. I spend way more time on Amazon now.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

wormil posted:

I know it isn't entirely Netflix fault but their selection continues to degrade. If it weren't for a few tv series I would probably drop the service. I spend way more time on Amazon now.

It's unfortunate because I get the impression that Amazon is using streaming as a loss leader right now and at the same time Netflix is getting hosed by all the media companies jacking up their rates + open internet/bandwidth costs.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

wormil posted:

People have been saying this for about as long as the service has existed but I still never run out of good things to watch v:shobon:v

Totally TWISTED posted:

It's unfortunate because I get the impression that Amazon is using streaming as a loss leader right now and at the same time Netflix is getting hosed by all the media companies jacking up their rates + open internet/bandwidth costs.

It feels like it's not as bad as it was a few years ago when everybody was trying to make their own streaming service, but Amazon snapping up exclusivity for shows is definitely getting to be a noticeable pain in the rear end with all the holes its making in Netflix's television lineup.

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
Finally got around to watching Ken Burns: The Civil War which is fantastic. Also, I guess you could call it a companion piece but Death and the Civil War is very well done and obviously pretty grim. It shows how they dealt with the scores of corpses left after battles.

Based on some web article I decided to give The Returned a shot. It's a 'people reappear years after dying story' which apparently is all the rage these days, but it is pretty great so far! French with subs. Watch it before Hollywood shits out the remake.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Getting XxX: State of the Union

Yesssssssssssss.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

PowderKeg posted:

Finally got around to watching Ken Burns: The Civil War which is fantastic. Also, I guess you could call it a companion piece but Death and the Civil War is very well done and obviously pretty grim. It shows how they dealt with the scores of corpses left after battles.

Based on some web article I decided to give The Returned a shot. It's a 'people reappear years after dying story' which apparently is all the rage these days, but it is pretty great so far! French with subs. Watch it before Hollywood shits out the remake.

Too late, they already did a TV series starring the dad from that 70s show.

Edit: oh haha that was the link, whoops.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

wormil posted:

I haven't noticed this, do you watch double region or just US/UK?

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Amazon Prime has 15 seasons of Comedy Central Presents on. Some seasons have 2 dozen different shows. Anyone got any recommendations on some of the lesser known comedians it has? I've seen all the ones that have/had/been in a TV series. Also, Maria Bamford is season 5 episode 2.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Reign Of Pain posted:

Amazon Prime has 15 seasons of Comedy Central Presents on. Some seasons have 2 dozen different shows. Anyone got any recommendations on some of the lesser known comedians it has? I've seen all the ones that have/had/been in a TV series. Also, Maria Bamford is season 5 episode 2.

Just start watching them all in order. They're only like 22 mins long, if you put them on while you're doing something else you'll fly through them really fast.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
Apparently 12 Angry Men is going to on streaming July 1. Everyone should watch it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

wormil posted:

It couldn't possibly be that you've already watched most of the good movies..

Chinatown is pretty good however after a lifetime of watching movies the vaunted nose-cutting scene was supremely underwhelming, and I knew most of what had and would happen, the first time Jack met the gardener. :(

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

gently caress you Netflix! You couldn't have kept Rocky IV until Friday?

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Reign Of Pain posted:

Holy poo poo, I had no idea, thank you for telling me.

It was a long time ago, but I remember thinking Bonnie McFarlane was really funny. Also, fun fact, she's married to Rich Vos!

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
So this just turned up in an unrelated search. I don't know anything about this, but the cast seems interesting at least.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Deadite posted:

So this just turned up in an unrelated search. I don't know anything about this, but the cast seems interesting at least.

Is that up now? I have to wonder about some of these, you get the big Netflix originals like House of Cards and Orange is the New Black, and they make the rounds, and there's a lot of hype. You also get the second tier which I think Hemlock Grove is the only thing on that, Netflix advertises it, but that's about it.

Then there's this, and one I spotted and never watched called Bad Samaritans. It feels like they greenlit it, and then realized it sucked, so they put it in the Saturday night at 11 burnout slot.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I guess it starts in late August, which makes me wonder why it has such a low rating right now.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

I watched Lady Vengeance last night. It was pretty good, it took me a minute to figure out what the hell was going on but once I was in, it was great. Kind of a Girl With the Dragon Tattoo feel, minus the female lead getting assaulted every 5 minutes.

Bad Santa is being added this month and I firmly feel everyone should see it at least once.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Big Centipede posted:

Apparently 12 Angry Men is going to on streaming July 1. Everyone should watch it.

Thanks for the heads up. I just watched it again to see if it was still as good as it was when I watched it years ago.

Yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.
Basically 12 angry men is one of the best films of all time and you should check it out, even if you are the sort of mans man something awful forums goon who don't usually want none of that black and white old stuff

• Locked thread