Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

paradoxGentleman posted:

Do you think the King is going to mind that we fused two of his subjects into an horrible abomination against nature?

It's our first day. Hopefully he'll cut us some slack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Marlon did it. I swear.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

paradoxGentleman posted:

Do you think the King is going to mind that His Wizard fused two of his subjects into an horrible abomination against nature?

Let's get our facts straight here. :colbert:

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Entering and exiting a building usually fixes the sidekick morph, although I'm pretty sure they once just teleported inside a house still fused in my game. It wouldn't surprise me.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!

paradoxGentleman posted:

Do you think the King is going to mind that we fused two of his subjects into an horrible abomination against nature?

If the abomination can appreciate cupcakes, then the king won't mind in the slightest. If it doesn't like cupcakes though, then OFF WITH YOUR HEAD! :colbert:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

ousire posted:

If the abomination can appreciate cupcakes, then the king won't mind in the slightest. If it doesn't like cupcakes though, then OFF WITH YOUR HEAD! :colbert:

Even if it likes cupcakes, I expect his opinion will hinge entirely on whether it eats enough cupcakes for one person or two.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 17: Fishing For A Good Fishing Pun To Use In This Title

So: the fishing minigame. You all knew there had to be one.

It's pretty simple. Sam moves the bobber out over one of those pale fish-like shadows.

They start pulling on it, startling the heck out of Sam.

When the bobber goes completely underwater, Sam yanks back on the fishing rod. (This is done by jerking up the Wiimote and hurting my wrist.)

Whatever we caught comes flying out to land in Sam's magic pockets.

With a joyful cry of "Pleeka!"--or just a happy laugh--Sam reveals that we caught a catfish!

And then he caught a jellyfish. And... another jellyfish. And another catfish. There's no way to predict or control what Sam catches; if we need a thing, we just have to keep fishing until we find it.

Ah ha! A bass at last! We just need to catch five more. Four more to complete the gearbelt scroll, and one extra to take back to Barney.

Oh, hey, our pals stopped having their terrible teleportation accident. Isn't that nice?

... what?

: Alright, let's talk to Renee and get those gear belts! This should make connecting gears a lot easier!

The wand is granted Gear Belts in Short, Medium, and Long! Let's go check in with Renee.

: Be careful though, it may require mixing and matching the different sizes of belts to make them reach the bull!

For the record: Sims will continue to tutorialize at Sam for an ungodly amount of time. I can't believe I'm being lectured at by Renee. Uh, anyway: the camera shows us the windmill.

: To power the bull, start by hooking up a belt to the windmill here.

The camera pans over to the bull.

: Once you have an initial belt hooked up, just keep connecting belts together until you reach the Bull Ride over here! Good luck, Sam!

Anything else I should know?

Ooh, good point.

Here's the bull, with the international symbol for No Gears over it. We need to connect it to the windmill in the background.

Good thing gearbelts hover.

Sam chains long gearbelts over to the windmill.

He then adds a couple of gears to make the final connection.

That, uh. That is making a mockery of gravity. Well, I guess it is magic.

Also, please note the King Points measure in the upper left corner, slowly filling with pale blue King Points! We are earning our keep, by golly.

Oh, boy! Our reward is... that Renee likes us better. She doesn't even fountain out any Mana. Weaksauce!

Let's abandon her for the mechanical bull.

The bull ride is apparently not very well-made, as Spring Essences keep breaking off and jumping into Sam's pockets as he rides.

Eventually Sam gets bucked off, which makes him squirt out some Sad Essences. Well! That was fun. Let's go check out these crabs.

... so, what you're saying is, no crabs?

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: Yes crabs!

---

Video: Fishing
Watch Sam pull a few random fish out of this fishing spot, complete with whoops and giggling.

Video: The Mechanical Bull
Sam tries to master the bull ride and fails. It's perfectly possible for him to ride the bull to a stop, thus succeeding and producing some Happy Essences, but this is Sam we're talking about here.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Putting fish in your pockets is a terrible idea, Sam. Especially jelly fish.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
But, but... he has fish. In his pockets. Now he can get embroiled in international intrigue without even realizing it!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Glazius posted:

But, but... he has fish. In his pockets. Now he can get embroiled in international intrigue without even realizing it!

I thought you needed a single red shoe to do that.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Just finished reading the Agents LP. I really enjoyed it, except for the beach area which I understand is the low-point of the game.

Can't wait for more from Kingdom!

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
I like Renee's reasoning about the mechanical bull.

Also, I'm really glad Buddy and Lyndsay have become their own people again. Seeing them conjoined was just...unsettling.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If she's worried about gears frightening the animals, why not just move the mechanical bull closer to the windmill? :colbert: Renee doesn't think things through. Now there are dangerous belts running through the middle of the petting zoo.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Crap, wrong thread.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 18: Exit, Pursued By A Bear

oh well that's too bad--

--welp

So into the water we go. Sam finds a lot of Stone and Amber, just like on Capital Island.

And, eventually, one of the things that bounces out of a freshly-dug hole is a Crab Cage Key! Let's take it back to Renee.

Hooray! Now you can let the crabs out of their cages--

--ooooor Sam could do it!

: We'll need to find all the crabs and let them out of their cages before we can observe them in their natural habitat. Be sure to check all the tide pools on the island for them; they're bound to be in more pools than just this one! Hurry!

Sam pulls out a magnifying glass and inspects the cage closely. Just because it's a crab in a cage doesn't mean it's a crab cage, right? Gotta be thorough.

Sam opens the cage and the crab promptly freaks out and burrows under the sand. Oh, well. Four to go!

Fun fact: if you inspect one of the cages before you get this task, Sam peers at the cage for a while and then goes LOL IUNNO WHAT THIS THING IS

There are two tidepools on Renee's island, one to the northwest and one to the southwest, and crab cages are hidden in both. The northwest tidepool also has giant clams.

Which explode into Mana, Simoleons, and Onyx when pried open! Anyway, Sam finds all the hidden crab cages and opens them. Let's go check in with Renee and see what other makework she's come up with.

Yay!

Sam follows Renee up to the little grove of cherry trees.

Sam's work in progress, you mean.

: Say, Sam, you've been such an amazing help so far, would you mind helping me out again?

The camera pans left.

And again.

: And remember, this is a Nature Walk, so please add bits of Nature here and there! Good luck!

See those red shapes? They mean that Sam's required to build this bridge by the numbers, instead of just doing whatever. Booooo. However, he's allowed to put in his Nature Essences in whatever form he likes. ... not that he has more than three or four forms at this point.

There. Nice bridge, good railings.

Awww, it's a baby bear.

... Sam, are you between a baby bear and its mama?

And some Roses for Nature. There!

: Wow, I'm sure my visitors will just love this! Thanks, Sam!

Well, sure, I--

--oh no

no no no

nooooooooo

And then Sam got eaten by a bear, the end.

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: A magically-uneaten Sam meets a famous cat!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I know I'm not supposed to ask these kind of questions, but without a bridge how did the baby bear get over there in the first place?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Psion posted:

I know I'm not supposed to ask these kind of questions, but without a bridge how did the baby bear get over there in the first place?
It was delivered on that side. Due to a certain someones incompetence.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Psion posted:

Like everything else in life, blame wizards. Particularly Marlon.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
This little island is simply the natural habitat of a baby bear. Nature is amazing.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Picayune posted:

Exit, Pursued By A Bear

:golfclap:

Waffleman_ posted:

Like everything else in life, blame wizards. Particularly Marlon.

:science: Did someone say beeeeeeaaaaaaaaars?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Psion posted:

Jetpack.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I have to say, I didn't take the post title nearly as literally as I could have.

There's nothing that can't happen in this game.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Glazius posted:

I have to say, I didn't take the post title nearly as literally as I could have.

There's nothing that can't happen in this game.

Well, violence.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 19: The Fabulous Ms. Prissykins

oh crap

crap crap crap

craaaaa--wait, Sam's still alive?

... WHO WANTS A FISHIE

BEAR WANTS A FISHIE

nom nom

Aw, good bear. ... uh anyway let's go check in with Renee.

: Thanks so much for reuniting the bears. They seem much happier now!

And Sam didn't get mauled at all!

: Come on, she's right this way!

Sam follows Renee over to an area right by the fishing spot.

... huh. A giant pig, a bunch of crabs, some square bees, two bears, and a big fluffy white cat. Okay!

: She is only happy living high above the ground overlooking the whole island. A tower needs to be constructed to her liking!

Well, I guess she is a cat.

: Here's a Scroll for the pieces you'll need. Good luck!

We're going to build a cat condo out of Cherry Blossoms, Amber, and Onyx! This is not weird at all! MAGIC!

Buddy likes it when Sam kills trees.

Everybody likes it when Sam kills trees!

So: let's take a moment to talk about the 'hidden' gameplay mechanic that is serial weeding. If Sam pulls up this weed on the right side of the screen:

It plays a low tone, flings out a bunch of dandelion seeds, and spits out a cherry blossom. If Sam hurries over and pulls up another weed in a generally-timely manner:

It plays a slightly higher tone and spits out cherries instead! Every island, with the exception of Capital Island, has its own unique 'weeding chain' that is four steps long. (Capital Island has only three weeds on it. I blame Marlon.)

There are some Essences Sam can only get this way--some hidden items, too--and we are left to discover serial weeding for ourselves instead of going through a tutorial about it.

To finish: the third weed in the Nature Preserve chain plays a higher tone yet and drops Simoleons...

And the fourth and final weed in the chain plays a high tone and a soft fanfare and drops Mana! Sam has to hustle, though. If he waits too long in between weeds, the chain resets.

Aaaaanyway. doop de doo huntin' for Onyx

huntin' for--wait, what's that thing that just bubbled up under the water?

Not helpful. ... anyway, Tuffy is a cow! Sam dug up a cow action figure to go with our King Roland!

And also dug up enough Onyx to complete Ms. Prissykins' Scroll.

Lo, Sam is granted a Small Base Block, a Ramp Base Block, a Monarch Butterfly lawn-ornament thing, and, uh, Argyle Paint. Let's talk to Renee.

: Yay! Now that you have everything you need, go ahead and build Ms. Prissykins' tower! She'll be so happy!

Well, I guess I can--

--HOLY CRAP

Wow. That is one spoiled cat. Sam slept in a corner of the pigpen all his life. ... anyway.

: That's a wonderful palace! Good job, Sam! I'm sure Ms. Prissykins will approve.

Hey, kitty. ... I guess Sam never really gets away from his humble herding origins.

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: Having installed Ms. Prissykins in her tower overlooking the sea, the Assistant Pig-Boy... is done here?

---

Video: Let's Pet Some Bears
Now with bear noises!

Video: Serial Weeding
I have become conditioned to respond with joy to the little 'ping! doo-doo-doo-doop!' fanfare.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
This is an accurate portrayal of cat behavior. It's obvious the developers had cats. Or cats had developers, is how that usually works.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Perhaps they are cats.

No, cats wouldn't do work.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

That cat is totally going to hand out in the box the magic wand came in.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, so the ramp block can be a ramp and a poor man's flying buttress?

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
Yup...that is one spoiled cat. About par on course for cats, at any rate.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Picayune posted:

Buddy likes it when Sam kills trees.

Everybody likes it when Sam kills trees!

Don't you know? Lumberjacking is this kingdom's official sport!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 20: Some Pig

C'mon, Ms. Prissykins. Up you go.

Sam leads Ms. Prissykins all the way up to the cat balcony. (And then he has to jump over her to get back out. Guess he should have made that thing a little wider!)

Awyeah. Let's motor.

We have pacified the wild Renee! She leads us all back to the Visitor Center.

I... guess that when a crab freaks out and burrows into the sand to get away from you, that means it's happy.

The crab's antics make Renee giggle.

: I don't know how to thank you guys enough!

: Bye, guys! Oh, and visit the park whenever you want. I'm giving you guys free passes for life!!!

: Neat! Thanks!

Sam waves goodbye. Probably in relief.

Right.

Let's... let's just go.

Well, okay, first let's paint Ms. Prissykins' tower a delightful shade of green argyle under cover of darkness. Then we'll go.

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: Let's wrap things up here, for it is time to move on!

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Before you leave, you should go and talk to Renee once she's gone to bed. I got an interesting comment about her true feelings about pigs.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Renee, this is almost certainly medieval times. Every food product is organic.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
And I object to cruelty-free. It's not a meal unless my vegetables have suffered.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Wrap-Up: Renee's Nature Preserve

Renee is the only Sim on this island! Animals apparently do not count.

I see Renee has remembered that she has a pig.

... so! What else is here?

If we keep pulling up weeds all through the night, we will eventually get a figure of Tim, who is a cute kid in a puppy hat! His figure will randomly turn up under the second weed in a weeding chain.

And if we keep fishing at the fishing spot, we will eventually pull out Chef Watanabe, because this is a thing that happens. (There is something else that we can fish up here, as well, but I'm still keeping that a secret for increasingly-silly reasons.)

If Sam slinks off behind the giant cat tower and turns the camera juuuuust right... huh.

Yoink! We have an orchid! What we'll do with this, I have no idea!

Also, while there are several clams on this island, only this one drops anything interesting.

A present! It is...

A new scroll!

In point of fact, a Clam Shell Scroll! HEY LYNDSAY

: Great! Let's see what new wand powers we'll unlock!

It contains a Garden Gnome, a Lucky Kitty, and BACON PAINT. BACON PAAAAAINT

And... I guess we should probably finish up this Garden Scroll that Lyndsay has been carrying around for ages.

And lo, Sam gets a Tidy Flowerbed, a Jardiniere, and some Floral Wallpaper Paint.

That's all! Let's go say goodbye to Renee what do you mean she went to bed already

Gasp!

Starting next update we will all have a yee-haw good time at Cowboy Junction!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Can you paint the entire cat tower bacon?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

SelenicMartian posted:

Can you paint the entire cat tower bacon?

Or the interior of Renées new house.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

This game is wonderful and I love it. :allears:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Air is lava! posted:

Or the interior of Renées new house.

Do this. The thread has spoken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You know, there is turkey bacon. It's not really the same, but.

• Locked thread