Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007
Why am I in a BOX?WFT?!

Justice Ginsburg posted:

...In the end, however, the Court is not so sure. In stark contrast to the Court's initial emphasis on this accommodation, it ultimately declines to decide whether the highlighted accommodation is even lawful. See ante, at 44 ("We do not decide today whether an approach of this choice complies with RFRA....").

moreover...

Justice Ginsburg posted:

Any First Amendment Free Exercise Clause claim Hobby Lobby or Conestoga might assert is foreclosed by this Court’s decision in Employment Div., Dept. of Human Resources of Ore. v. Smith, 494 U. S. 872 (1990). In Smith,two members of the Native American Church were dismissed from their jobs and denied unemployment benefits because they ingested peyote at, and as an essential element of, a religious ceremony. Oregon law forbade the consumption of peyote, and this Court, relying on that prohibition, rejected the employees’ claim that the denial of unemployment benefits violated their free exercise rights. The First Amendment is not offended, Smith held, when “prohibiting the exercise of religion...is not the object of [governmental regulation] but merely the incidental effect of a generally applicable and otherwise valid provision."..."an individuals religious beliefs [do not] excuse him from compliance with an otherwise valid law prohibiting conduct the state is free to regulate". The ACA's contraceptive coverage requirement applies generally, it is "otherwise valid" it trains on women's well being, not on the exercise of religion, and any affect it has on religion is incidental.

Even if Smith did not control, the Free Exercise Clause would not require the exemption Hobby Lobby and Conestoga seek. Accommodations to religious beliefs or observances, the Court has clarified, must not significantly impinge on the interests of third parties.

The exemption sought by Hobby Lobby and Conestoga would override significant interests of the corporations' employees and covered dependents. It would deny legions of women who do not hold their employers' beliefs access to contraceptive coverage that the ACA would otherwise secure...

Quantum Cat fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
Is she writing that just incase the RFRA gets amended? I don't understand why she's talking about the first amendment, much less Smith at all, since the privileges asserted here are RFRA privileges and the RFRA was passed specifically to overturn Smith.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Clearly a non-profit church or religious university is different than a for profit company, but you can make a strong argument that Obama doomed this ruling by giving anyone an exemption in the first place. Once you admit that some groups should get an exemption on religious grounds, then the question becomes who should get that exemption, and the courts ruling then is not that surprising.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Was it in here that someone did the effort posts on insurance providers and treatments and how drug costs are impacted by purchasing agreements? I haven't been able to find it.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Little_wh0re posted:

It's interesting how RBG's dissent mirrors Scalias dissent in Windsor.
It's kinda worrying, actually. Because given the specious reasoning for ruling the way they did ("because we said so") there's gonna be a lot of weird, tough legal battles over this.

There's an easy fix: amend the RFRA (right?). But I cannot imagine anything getting through this Congress, especially when Republicans will cry bloody murder about how Democrats want to destroy your freedom to be Christian or whatever.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

kelvron posted:

Was it in here that someone did the effort posts on insurance providers and treatments and how drug costs are impacted by purchasing agreements? I haven't been able to find it.

Yes, it was in this thread. It was quite a ways back though. Probably around when cert was granted.

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007
Why am I in a BOX?WFT?!

KernelSlanders posted:

Is she writing that just incase the RFRA gets amended? I don't understand why she's talking about the first amendment, much less Smith at all, since the privileges asserted here are RFRA privileges and the RFRA was passed specifically to overturn Smith.

Justice Ginsberg posted:

Lacking a tenable claim under the Free exercise Clause, Hobby Lobby and Conestoga rely on RFRA, a statute instructing that "[g]government shall not substantially burden a person's exercise of religion even if the the burden results from a rule of general applicability" unless the government shows that application of the burden is "the least restrictive means" to further a "compelling governmental interest. 2 U. S. C. §2000bb–1(a),(b)(2). In RFRA, Congress “adopt[ed] a statutory rule comparable to
the constitutional rule rejected in Smith.” Gonzales v. O Centro Espírita Beneficente União do Vegetal, 546 U. S.
418, 424 (2006).

RFRA's purpose is specific and written into the statute itself. The Act was crafted to "restore the compelling interest test as set forth in Sherbert v. Verner,... and Wisconsin v. Yoder...and to guarantee its application in all cases where free exercise is substantially burdened."...

The legislative history is correspondingly emphatic on RFRA's aim See, e.g., S. Rep. No. 103–111, p. 12 (1993) (hereinafter Senate Report) (RFRA’s purpose was “only to overturn the Supreme Court’s decision in Smith,” not to “unsettle other areas of the law.”)...Given the Acts moderate purpose, it is hardly surprising that RFRA's enactment in 1993 provoked little controversy...(RFRA was approved by a 97-to-3 vote in the Senate and a voice vote in the House of Representatives).

Despite these authoritative indications the Court sees RFRA as a bold initiative departing from rather than restoring pre-Smith jurisprudence. To support its conception of the RFRA as a measure detached from the this Court's decisions, one that sets a new course, the Court points first to the Religious Land Use and Institutionalized Persons Act of 2000 (RLUIPA, which altered the RFRA's definition of the term "exercise of religion." RFRA as originally enacted, defined that term to mean "the exercise of religion under the First Amendment to the Constitution." As Amended by RLUIPA, RFRA's definition now includes "any exercise of religion, whether or not compelled by, or central to a system of religious belief." That definitional change according to the Court, reflect "an obvious effort to effect a complete separation from First Amendment case law."

The Court's reading is not plausible. RLUIPA's alteration clarifies that courts should not question the centrality of a particular religious exercise. But the amendment in no way suggests that Congress meant to expand the class of entities qualified to mount religious accommodation claims, nor does it relieve the courts of the obligation to inquire whether a government action substantially burdens a religious exercise.

Next the Court highlights RFRA's requirement that the government, if its actions substantially burdens a person's religious observance, must demonstrate that it chose the least restrictive means for furthering a compelling interest. "[B]y imposing a least-restrictive-means test," the Court suggests, RFRA "went beyond what was required by our pre-Smith decisions."...But as RFRA's statements of purpose and legislative history make clear, Congress intended only to restore, not to scrap or alter, the balancing test as this court had applied pre-Smith...

With RFRA's restorative purpose in mind, I turn to the Acts application to the instant lawsuits. That task in view of the positions taken by the Court, requires consideration of several questions, each potentially dispositve of Hobby Lobby's and Conestoga's claims: Do for-profit corporations rank among "person[s]" who exercise...religion"? Assuming that they do ,does the contraceptive coverage requirement "substantially burden" their religious excercise? If so, is the requirement "in furtherance of a compelling government interest"? And last, does the requirement represent the least restrictive means for furthering that interest?

Misguided by its errant premise that the RFRA moved beyond the pre-Smith case law, the Court falters at each step of analysis.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

kelvron posted:

It was McAlister, during March. I don't think anything they wrote had any bearing on the actual legal case, though.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So today could have been far worse. That's what I'm going to tell myself so I can sleep tonight.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So today could have been far worse. That's what I'm going to tell myself so I can sleep tonight.

I thought we all drank a lot so we could sleep at night.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Is it just me, or does this read like Ginsburg had to seriously debate whether or not to write "YOU IDIOTS" on the plaza in gasoline and light it ablaze as the entirety of her dissent?

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007
Why am I in a BOX?WFT?!

KernelSlanders posted:

Basically she's just, one after another, methodically kicking the legs out from under the avenues of reasoning by which the Court could and did rule for Hobby Lobby and Conestoga.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Is it just me, or does this read like Ginsburg had to seriously debate whether or not to write "YOU IDIOTS" on the plaza in gasoline and light it ablaze as the entirety of her dissent?

She always does that, it's nothing new

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007
Why am I in a BOX?WFT?!

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

I'm only an interested layman when it comes to con-law, but it really reads like that.

Quantum Cat fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 30, 2014

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Quantum Cat posted:

I'm only an interested layman when it comes con-law, but it really reads like that.

She's 81 so that may have been the limiting factor.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

KernelSlanders posted:

Yes, it was in this thread. It was quite a ways back though. Probably around when cert was granted.

esquilax posted:

It was McAlister, during March. I don't think anything they wrote had any bearing on the actual legal case, though.

Thanks. No bearing on the case, but possibly helpful in Facebook arguments.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
At least the Roberts Court did one thing that was borderline correct today:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jun/30/high-court-wont-hear-challenges-california-gay-the/

You can no longer make money off of gay conversion therapy for minors in California if you're a licensed professional. I thought for sure SCOTUS would hear it and then issue another poo poo ruling, so hooray for that I guess. Except we'll probably be seeing the same issue again next year when the loser of the Third Circuit case involving New Jersey's ban applies for certiorari.

The Ninth Circuit's reasoning for upholding the ban was pretty shaky, because SCOTUS has reserved the right to declare certain types of speech unprotected (and the dissent from the appellate opinion treats Scalia and SCOTUS like some sort of angry volcano god that gets displeased when lower courts have the hubris to suggest that certain speech should not be protected without SCOTUS' say-so), but on the other hand, speech by a licensed professional in the course of treatment after getting paid to perform professional services should arguably be subject to restrictions (like when it's loving medical treatment lol). I get that it's a tough call from a precedent standpoint, but the proposition that licensed therapists should be able to use techniques that not only don't work but also gently caress with a kid's mind and then charge them for it just because of free speech is goddamn ludicrous from a policy standpoint.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

1 U.S. Code § 1 - Words denoting number, gender, and so forth

In determining the meaning of any Act of Congress, unless the context indicates otherwise—

the words “person” and “whoever” include corporations, companies, associations, firms, partnerships, societies, and joint stock companies, as well as individuals;

You're eliding over the key point.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

KernelSlanders posted:

Pretty much, because they also brought 1st Amendment claims and the majority specifically refused to evaluate them since they held the RFRA applied. Given how specious their reasoning is, I expect they'd have overturned Smith (and Scalia would have joined the opinion despite the niggling little problem he wrote Smith) if they had to.

edit: Nevermind, of course they wouldn't have overturned Smith, they'd have just carved out a narrow exception just for birth control like they did here because overturning Smith would at least be somewhat intellectually coherent.

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007
Why am I in a BOX?WFT?!

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

1 U.S. Code § 1 - Words denoting number, gender, and so forth

In determining the meaning of any Act of Congress, unless the context indicates otherwise—

the words “person” and “whoever” include corporations, companies, associations, firms, partnerships, societies, and joint stock companies, as well as individuals;

evilweasel posted:

Justice Ginsberg posted:

RFRA's compelling interest test, as noted, see supra, at 8, applies to government actions that "substantially burden a person's exercise of religion." 42 U.S.C. §2000bb-1(a) (emphasis added). This reference, the Court submits, incorporates the definition of "person" found in the Dictionary Act, 1 U.S.C. §1, which extends to "corporations, companies, associations, firms, partnerships, societies, and joint stock companies, as well as individuals." See ante, at 19-20. The Dictionary Act's definition, however, controls only where "context" does not "indicat[e] otherwise." §1. Here, context does so indicate...

look Kiwi Ghost Chips, I know you're busy running a hypothetical halal meat-atorium in the U.S. politics thread, but maybe you should take a moment to actually read the opinion and dissent.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
So it looks like Alito basically said that the home healthcare assistant program is staffed by people that don't quite qualify fully as public employees.

Looks like labor is safe, for now.

I can't help but think that opening opinion was really salty though. Like you could tell the guy was just looking for a reason to bring the hammer down.

I feel sorta bad for the home healthcare workers though, doesn't this basically say they don't have any of the normal shop protections because of the structure of their employement?

If anyone wants to read it: http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/13pdf/11-681_j426.pdf

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

TyroneGoldstein posted:

So it looks like Alito basically said that the home healthcare assistant program is staffed by people that don't quite qualify fully as public employees.

Looks like labor is safe, for now.

I can't help but think that opening opinion was really salty though. Like you could tell the guy was just looking for a reason to bring the hammer down.

I feel sorta bad for the home healthcare workers though, doesn't this basically say they don't have any of the normal shop protections because of the structure of their employement?

If anyone wants to read it: http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/13pdf/11-681_j426.pdf

Yeah, we all know, this was discussed in detail a bit ago - basically, Alito has invited any and everyone to bring the case to SCOTUS that will let him actually accomplish the worst-case-scenario.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

How can SCOTUS even say that unions aren't constitutional? I mean, it's an assembly of people, isn't that guaranteed by the First Amendment? Wouldn't they just be saying that workers cannot assemble? And, isn't that just the free market working as intended, without government intervention (whereas SCOTUS ruling IS government intervention)?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Why waste the gasoline on pavement when she could light Scalia and Roberts on fire instead?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Why waste the gasoline on pavement when she could light Scalia and Roberts on fire instead?

Little known fact: Scalia is 80% asbestos. Wouldn't work.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Crows Turn Off posted:

How can SCOTUS even say that unions aren't constitutional? I mean, it's an assembly of people, isn't that guaranteed by the First Amendment? Wouldn't they just be saying that workers cannot assemble? And, isn't that just the free market working as intended, without government intervention (whereas SCOTUS ruling IS government intervention)?

The same way the declared racism to be over... by pulling the opinion out of their rear end to suit their ideological preference, reasonable interpretation of the loving law be damned.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Crows Turn Off posted:

Because the Scalia/Alito/Roberts branch has long since departed from giving a poo poo what the law actually says in favor of just following their ideological preference.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Crows Turn Off posted:

Just go back to the Lochner era. Scalia is already on the record defending it

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Welp:

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Quantum Cat posted:

look Kiwi Ghost Chips, I know you're busy running a hypothetical halal meat-atorium in the U.S. politics thread, but maybe you should take a moment to actually read the opinion and dissent.

Yes I know what she said. The context does not indicate a distinction, and that part of her dissent was willfully obtuse.

Crows Turn Off posted:

They didn't say anything like that.

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost

Bobby Jindal had an equally :smug: tweet that a conservative friend of mine happily trolled me with.
You can pretty easily find his "neener-neener-neener" tweet if you look him up.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Don't feed the trolls.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Crows Turn Off posted:

They cant/wont say they're unconstitutional. What they would be saying it they cant collect union dues as a condition for employment, hamstringing the unions financially. Unions could still assemble, but they wouldn't have the money for organizers, negotiators, mediators, lobbyists, etc., rendering them effectively powerless.

Mind you, none of this has happened yet, but that appears to be the path. They'll have a much harder time enforcing this for private sector unions than they will for public sector ones.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

They didn't say anything like that.
I didn't mean to imply they said that with the current ruling, sorry. I was talking about a future scenario where Alito finally gets to rule on it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

evilweasel posted:

Context? Whats Context? -Roberts

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Yes I know what she said. The context does not indicate a distinction, and that part of her dissent was willfully obtuse.

You're being willfully obtuse, not Ginsburg. First, that a for-profit corporation can have a religious belief is absurd. Second, the RFRA was passed in a specific context that is listed in its preamble, all of which you've willfully ignored because the history and context makes clear that what was being overturned was the rule that a law of general applicability was not a substantial burden on an individual's freedom of religion rights. It was not to make a new rule out of thin air and so your attempt to argue that the context of the words immediately surrounding it is all that one would look at is absurd.

This is the context:

quote:

(a) Findings
The Congress finds that—
(1) the framers of the Constitution, recognizing free exercise of religion as an unalienable right, secured its protection in the First Amendment to the Constitution;
(2) laws “neutral” toward religion may burden religious exercise as surely as laws intended to interfere with religious exercise;
(3) governments should not substantially burden religious exercise without compelling justification;
(4) in Employment Division v. Smith, 494 U.S. 872 (1990) the Supreme Court virtually eliminated the requirement that the government justify burdens on religious exercise imposed by laws neutral toward religion; and
(5) the compelling interest test as set forth in prior Federal court rulings is a workable test for striking sensible balances between religious liberty and competing prior governmental interests.

(b) Purposes
The purposes of this chapter are—
(1) to restore the compelling interest test as set forth in Sherbert v. Verner, 374 U.S. 398 (1963) and Wisconsin v. Yoder, 406 U.S. 205 (1972) and to guarantee its application in all cases where free exercise of religion is substantially burdened; and
(2) to provide a claim or defense to persons whose religious exercise is substantially burdened by government.

None of those cites, naturally, support a for-profit corporation being a "person" under this statute that is protected and make clear such a claim is absurd.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Crows Turn Off posted:

People are skipping a few steps and using language that only makes sense if you understand what's going on. What the Supreme Court would do is rule is that public unions can't charge dues to non-union members. Which would make sense, except that the union is required to negotiate for all workers and can't just negotiate for its members. The court would not ban unions, but it would deliberately put them into a situation they can't function in where they're essentially a public good that has to beg for donations instead of having the beneficiaries of their work pay for it.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Evil Fluffy posted:

OAquinas posted:

Little known fact: Scalia is 80% asbestos. Wouldn't work.
Nah, she just needs the right accelerant: Chlorine Trifluoride!:science:

Here, have a short article by Derek Lowe on just how loving nuts this stuff is.

Sand won't save you this time posted:

The compound also a stronger oxidizing agent than oxygen itself, which also puts it into rare territory. That means that it can potentially go on to “burn” things that you would normally consider already burnt to hell and gone, and a practical consequence of that is that it’ll start roaring reactions with things like bricks and asbestos tile. It’s been used in the semiconductor industry to clean oxides off of surfaces, at which activity it no doubt excels.

There’s a report from the early 1950s (in this PDF) of a one-ton spill of the stuff. It burned its way through a foot of concrete floor and chewed up another meter of sand and gravel beneath, completing a day that I'm sure no one involved ever forgot. That process, I should add, would necessarily have been accompanied by copious amounts of horribly toxic and corrosive by-products: it’s bad enough when your reagent ignites wet sand, but the clouds of hot hydrofluoric acid are your special door prize if you’re foolhardy enough to hang around and watch the fireworks.
So if you want to take this thread's title of "Burn Them All" literally, I'd advise you to mail Ruth Bader Ginsburg a large Dewar of Chlorine Trifluoride. (Please don't actually do this for at least six ten different reasons.)

I'm posting about science because the actuality of these cases really sucks, and mad science is more fun than watching another 5-4 decision that screws us over come down the pipe.:smith:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 30, 2014

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

evilweasel posted:

You're being willfully obtuse, not Ginsburg. First, that a for-profit corporation can have a religious belief is absurd. Second, the RFRA was passed in a specific context that is listed in its preamble, all of which you've willfully ignored because the history and context makes clear that what was being overturned was the rule that a law of general applicability was not a substantial burden on an individual's freedom of religion rights. It was not to make a new rule out of thin air and so your attempt to argue that the context of the words immediately surrounding it is all that one would look at is absurd.

I don't see how the lack of tax exemption suddenly changes things for a corporation. As far as general going into business is concerned, I think the Boy Scouts certainly do have a religious message if they're selling popcorn or whatever.

I'm aware that the goal of RFRA was restoring the pre-Smith decisions. Those decisions didn't explicitly say that for-profit corporations were covered, but they didn't say the opposite either. It was simply an undecided issue. The only (slight) indication one way or the other was the Crown Kosher case (yes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chris James 2 posted:

I like the idea of limiting justice terms, but think 24 years might be a bit long. Maybe 20 years. The possibility of seeing 5 Presidents elected in the span of a SCOTUS justice term seems fair and not excessive to me.

Rick Perry, of all people, had a proposal like this back in 2012. That and his call for the creation of a cheap B.A. program were almost enough to make you forget he was grossly unfit for any position involving more responsibility than county dog catcher.

It'll never happen of course, the right-wing has a vast infrastructure in place dedicated to cultivating movement conservative legal talent specifically because it gives them an opportunity to enact their policy agenda in a way that's completely unresponsive to democratic(small-d democratic) pressure.