Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

HellOnEarth posted:

I thought I would be clever and try and complete FFX as much as I could without bothering with the Dark Aeons because I don't have that in me. And then I got to the Thunder Plains and realized I don't have the Besaid Destruction Sphere. :negative:

Now I don't know if I should restart completely or just soldier on and hope I can beat Dark Valefor.

Dark Valefor is Zanmato-able, so you've got that going for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Dross posted:

I would seriously love to go back and hug whoever designed Zanmato. It's so satisfying to one shot a bonus boss.

:science:"Alright, what if we gave this dude an insta-kill move? Only make it works on EVERYTHING."

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Don Gato posted:

I would seriously love to go back and hug whoever designed Zanmato. It's so satisfying to one shot a bonus boss.

:science:"Alright, what if we gave this dude an insta-kill move? Only make it works on EVERYTHING."

Selphie's The End does the same thing, right? It's been a long time since I've played FF8 so I don't remember.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
The existence of OHKO moves has always baffled me. Like, they're often prohibitively expensive or have a terrible hit rate, so you don't want to use them on most normal enemies. But then in 99% of games anything worth using them on is immune to instant death. I get that the devs don't want you rolling the dice until you oneshot their bosses, but it just seems odd to me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rainuwastaken posted:

The existence of OHKO moves has always baffled me. Like, they're often prohibitively expensive or have a terrible hit rate, so you don't want to use them on most normal enemies. But then in 99% of games anything worth using them on is immune to instant death. I get that the devs don't want you rolling the dice until you oneshot their bosses, but it just seems odd to me.

In well-designed games they are designed as a way around enemies who are otherwise excessively costly to fight, making it more worthwhile to roll the bones. Usually incredibly tanky foes.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Rainuwastaken posted:

This is why FFV is the best Final Fantasy, because lots of bosses are susceptible to poo poo like Petrify and Death and it adds a lot of dimension to the game (stuff like using the Samurai's final ability which inflicts AoE instant death at a 85% rate on the Seal Guardians).

Hell, if bosses weren't vulnerable to instant death I couldn't have done this:

(yes, that's me releasing a captured monster to cast X-Zone on Byblos, because Beastmasters own)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Volt Catfish posted:

Selphie's The End does the same thing, right? It's been a long time since I've played FF8 so I don't remember.

Yeah, it'll work on both Ultimecia and Griever.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, it'll work on both Ultimecia and Griever.

To be more specific, it forces the fight to the next stage. In Ultimecia's final form, it forces her to where she starts speaking.

It doesn't work on Undead, however. I can't remember if it works on Tonberries.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Dross posted:

Dark Valefor isn't even that strong. Only about 1.5M HP IIRC, and can't break 9999 on most of his attacks. You don't need maxed stats to beat him; just having all the default nodes on the sphere grid is plenty. Open with a Mighty Guard and you're good to go. That's assuming you're already doing monster arena stuff though. :v:

On my file I decided to actually save and reset until Dark Valefor gave me a good Break Damage Limit weapon. It only took 5 or 6 tries until I got a BDL + First Strike + 2 empty slots Excalibur.

Don Gato posted:

Funny enough, they also made it significantly easier to use in the International/HD version. In vanilla FFX, you could expect to pay Yojimbo over 1,000,000 gil if you wanted a decent chance at Zanmato. Yojimbo has a hidden compatibility stat with Yuna which slightly increases the chance of getting better attacks, and having a full Overdrive bar for him helps as well, but in the international version they greatly increased the bonus from compatibility and overdrive. I got Zanmato the very first time I summoned him from just Grand Summon + 100,000 gil!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

Is anything coming up with FFXIV in terms of updates and subscriptions or can I just resub and blaze through it without warning?

2.4 has a new class and job to play in Thief → Ninja, so if you're looking to re-sub that would be the time to do it.
Soldiery tomes will probably have replaced Myth ones as the easy tome to get by then, and the new Crystal Tower dungeon should have lost its loot lock out too. That's all presumed, but it's logically the way they're going to go about things, if we think about how things have gone so far and how MMOs usually work.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ImpAtom posted:

In well-designed games they are designed as a way around enemies who are otherwise excessively costly to fight, making it more worthwhile to roll the bones. Usually incredibly tanky foes.
Persona 4 had one of the better implementations of IK spells.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The only things vulnerable to the death spells in Persona 3 and 4 are the things that don't really need them though. In Persona 4, basically everything has a weakness that you can exploit to make it skip turns, and nothing is especially tanky so there wasn't much point in using IK or Naoto in the base game due to that.

I suppose it may be different in P4G though.

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning

maou shoujo posted:

Dark Valefor isn't even that strong. Only about 1.5M HP IIRC, and can't break 9999 on most of his attacks. You don't need maxed stats to beat him; just having all the default nodes on the sphere grid is plenty. Open with a Mighty Guard and you're good to go. That's assuming you're already doing monster arena stuff though. :v:

On my file I decided to actually save and reset until Dark Valefor gave me a good Break Damage Limit weapon. It only took 5 or 6 tries until I got a BDL + First Strike + 2 empty slots Excalibur.

Funny enough, they also made it significantly easier to use in the International/HD version. In vanilla FFX, you could expect to pay Yojimbo over 1,000,000 gil if you wanted a decent chance at Zanmato. Yojimbo has a hidden compatibility stat with Yuna which slightly increases the chance of getting better attacks, and having a full Overdrive bar for him helps as well, but in the international version they greatly increased the bonus from compatibility and overdrive. I got Zanmato the very first time I summoned him from just Grand Summon + 100,000 gil!

Could've spent 65,536gil for the same chance!

gamefaqs dude posted:

Payment | Motivation
----------------------------|---------------------------------------
0 Gil | N/A (Yojimbo instantly Dismisses himself)
1-3 Gil | 0
4-7 Gil | 2
8-15 Gil | 4
16-31 Gil | 6
32-63 Gil | 8
64-127 Gil | 10
128-255 Gil | 12
256-511 Gil | 14
512-1023 Gil | 16
1024-2047 Gil | 18
2048-4095 Gil | 20
4096-8191 Gil | 22
8192-16383 Gil | 24
16384-32767 Gil | 26
32768-65535 Gil | 28
65536-131071 Gil | 30
131072-262143 Gil | 32
262144-524287 Gil | 34
524288-1048575 Gil | 36
1048576-2097151 Gil | 38
2097152-4194303 Gil | 40
4194304-8388607 Gil | 42
8388608-16777215 Gil | 44
16777216-33554431 Gil | 46
33554432-67108863 Gil | 48
67108864-134217727 Gil | 50
134217728-268435455 Gil | 52
268435456-536870911 Gil | 54
536870912-999999999 Gil | 56

Just grand summon zanmato'd ultima weapon for 32768gil :getin:

To raise his compatibility always pay him if you summon him, if you dismiss without paying he loses compatibility. He also loses it if you let him die or if he attacks using his dog (which he does if you only pay a v small amount).
1024 gil is enough to quite regularly get zanmato on normal enemies for easy+cheap compatibility levelling if you're so inclined.
This is all for international/HD though.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I know there was a brief discussion about it a way back on like page 275 or something, but I'm wondering if anyone has any more opinions on Final Fantasy IX Unleashed. I decided to give it a shot but this game takes forever to gain traction so it's hard to tell if the mod is at all worth playing, and I probably won't until near the end of disc 1 if I can get that far. I see already that the steal success rate has been modified (it seems way easier, but I could be misremembering the original rates), everyone starts with an extra ability, and the equipment abilities have been shuffled around.

So far I like the changes, but right now I'm still in the Evil Forest because I got kind of burnt out after going through that droning introductory sequence for the 100th time. I have a feeling I'll run into my first snag with Black Waltz 1 and the Abominable Snow Walrus in an hour or so. Wish me luck! :v:

Have any of you ever beaten it? Any tips to provide? I tend to avoid ROM hacks because they tend to be made by people who are criminally insane and targeted toward masochists, but I've played through FFIX more times than I can count and did the whole deal (completed chocobo quests, got all Blue Magic, killed Ozma, Hades, and that library book fucker, etc.) a million times over. The only thing I have never done in that game is do the pointless and totally non-rewarding minigame garbage, like the jump ropes and Tetra Master.

Considering that, I think I might be able to take on the task, but it's hard to gauge because vanilla FFIX is such a ridiculous easy game if you plan on ignoring the early Fairy Flute, which I'm pretty sure everyone does anyway. On the other hand, I thought I was Really Good™ at Super Metroid until Redesign absolutely ruined me :ohdear:*

* EDIT: I guess that isn't really an apt comparison because Redesign is basically a completely different game at its core and you can't grind in Super Metroid.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 1, 2014

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Aurain posted:

The only things vulnerable to the death spells in Persona 3 and 4 are the things that don't really need them though. In Persona 4, basically everything has a weakness that you can exploit to make it skip turns, and nothing is especially tanky so there wasn't much point in using IK or Naoto in the base game due to that.

I suppose it may be different in P4G though.

Naoto tears through Magutsu Inaba in vanilla, she's really the best party member for dungeon crawling. And there were definitely enemies that were tanky for the time you encounter them but still vulnerable to Hama or Mudo, like the mounted knights in Yukiko's castle.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fister Roboto posted:

I would love to have Ivalice moogles as a playable race. Non-Ivalice moogles are a little too, I dunno. Plushy?

I was really sad that in FF14 Good King Moogle Mog wasn't actually FF6 Mog. Was hoping to face off against a Moogle that destroyed players through the power of elemental interpretive dance. Acheron in CT already shows that they can get creative with AOE patterns so you could have all sorts of crazy styles to go up against.

And his enrage timer could summon Umaro. :black101:

kirbysuperstar posted:

When it first launched, mouse cursor position was server-side.

That's my favorite thing. More than the barrel polygons or that they had some guy design a single rock for like 2 months, because while having some things be serverside helps combat some severe hacking, the mouse pointer's location is not one of them.

Don Gato posted:

Setzer's slot insta-kill worked on everything. That rear end in a top hat Guardian mech? Even that is affected. IIRC it just treats you as if you'd fled though. Kinda like how in DQ6 if you manage to kill the boss that paralyzes you late in the game it just continues on like you'd lost.

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning
Just finished FFX-HD on my vita (suspend and resume is the best loving thing for JRPGs) and I know every Final Fantasy is the worst in series but this may be the least worst.
Unlike pretty much every other title, I only ever played this one once before, back when it launched on the PS2 (as my copy got perma-borrowed), so I had forgotten a lot about it. I never aporeciated the story properly the first time around, or the character growth.

There's some goofy animations but that's to be expected in an HD port really. Overall it looks amazing, especially on the OLED.

Also I know I might be in the minority but I prefer the redone soundtrack, expecially fight with Seymour. Feels like Uemastu injected a dose of Black Mages into it, making it far nore epic and impressive (the original was too much like a flat midi synth piece, which I guess it was to be fair).

Decided not to bother with the harder trophies as imo they're just tedious grinding for the sake of trophies and going for them obsessively ends up making me dislike or not finish games.

Taking a detour to Persona for a while now, then it's on to the best worst FF, X-2! Oh Brother...

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Griever posted:

Also I know I might be in the minority but I prefer the redone soundtrack, especially fight with Seymour. Feels like Uemastu injected a dose of Black Mages into it, making it far nore epic and impressive (the original was too much like a flat midi synth piece, which I guess it was to be fair).

Not that it really matters to your main point, but Uematsu hasn't had anything to do with FF soundtracks since IX. X was Masashi Hamauzu (who would later go on to do the soundtrack for the XIII series) and Junya Nakano.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Artix posted:

Not that it really matters to your main point, but Uematsu hasn't had anything to do with FF soundtracks since IX. X was Masashi Hamauzu (who would later go on to do the soundtrack for the XIII series) and Junya Nakano.

Incorrect.

Take a look at the FFX soundtrack. See all of the notable, good tracks? Guess who wrote them! :haw:

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Near end of Chapter 2 on FFX-2 HD, discovered that even though I'd been following a guide I'd already locked myself out of some endgame stuff, ... gonna play GTA V before I come back to this and start over.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Mak0rz posted:

Incorrect.

Take a look at the FFX soundtrack. See all of the notable, good tracks? Guess who wrote them! :haw:

Yeah, X was the point where they were beginning to phase him out, which is why Junya Nakano helped with it (and Naoshi Mizuta and Kumi Tanioka helped with XI). XII was Hitoshi Sakimoto / Masaharu Iwata / Hayato Matsuo with Uematsu contributing a single forgettable "theme" track, and XIII was all Hamauzu.

You can really feel the difference between Uematsu, Sakimoto and Hamauzu, and I felt particularly that Sakimoto was more suited for epic war compositions (like that for Tactics) than for a mainstream Final Fantasy.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CeallaSo posted:

I felt particularly that Sakimoto was more suited for epic war compositions (like that for Tactics) than for a mainstream Final Fantasy.

He sure likes his string/brass ensembles, which lend themselves well to epic battle tracks.

EDIT:
Unrelated: Jesus FFIX Unleashed is insane. The author did an almost complete (very well-deserved, in my opinion) overhaul of the Blue Magic list.

Quina can now cast* Flare Star. I have yet to enter Gizamaluke's Grotto :stare:

* EDIT 2: I guess "now cast" is a bit generous, considering Quina only has 70% of the MP required for it right now :v:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 5, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mak0rz posted:

Quina can now cast* Flare Star. I have yet to enter Gizamaluke's Grotto :stare:
Unless the patch also changes the formula, Flare Star probably won't be that great once you actually have the MP to cast it because enemies' HP will have outstripped its (x * level) damage. Sounds like a lovely deal for something with that high of a price unless he changed that, too, since Quina always has kind of abysmal MP for a caster.

CeallaSo posted:

You can really feel the difference between Uematsu, Sakimoto and Hamauzu, and I felt particularly that Sakimoto was more suited for epic war compositions (like that for Tactics) than for a mainstream Final Fantasy.
After his work on Vagrant Story, you'd be hard-pressed to convince me that American devs doing high fantasy-setting games shouldn't hire him for their ambient poo poo. I'm not a fan of his bombastic stuff, but he's like a better Jeremy Soule with everything else.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The White Dragon posted:

Unless the patch also changes the formula, Flare Star probably won't be that great once you actually have the MP to cast it because enemies' HP will have outstripped its (x * level) damage. Sounds like a lovely deal for something with that high of a price unless he changed that, too, since Quina always has kind of abysmal MP for a caster.
Flare Star - 80 mp cost, damage = target's level * 65

Looks underwhelming to me, but that's just from reading the documentation, I don't know how he messed with HP.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah, I did a few calculations and it looks like Pyro does more damage than Flare Star would. Of course a major difference is that Flare Star attacks all targets and bypasses Reflect (and Shell?).

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Flare Star - 80 mp cost, damage = target's level * 65

Yeah, it's not spectacular, but it's about as strong as a multi-target spell gets unless you count summon attacks isn't it? :shrug:

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Currently playing Dissidia again on my Vita because I had an itch and never played the Duodeciem version. Who do you guys think is the best and worst character(s)? I've yet to lose as Sephiroth or Terra. I can't, however, seem to figure out how to play the Emperor right.

Dart
Jan 11, 2012

I only played the first game but I remember Kefka being really strong, I don't think any characters were notably weaker than others but I didn't 100% that game so take it with a grain of salt.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I thought Sephiroth was pretty bad (only have him at level 10) because his HP attacks are slow or "homing" which means the AI dodges them 100% of the time.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Tae posted:

I thought Sephiroth was pretty bad (only have him at level 10) because his HP attacks are slow or "homing" which means the AI dodges them 100% of the time.

I actually very rarely use his HP attacks- I almost always just use his Bravery ones because they have such a wide range and initiate chase mode. I can pretty much mop the floor with anyone after that. Except for Exdeath because drat if I can figure out how to counter his constant blocking of everything I do.

I'm also partial to Yuna & Zidane because Zidane is so drat fast and Yuna can execute combos like crazy.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Captain Mog posted:

Currently playing Dissidia again on my Vita because I had an itch and never played the Duodeciem version. Who do you guys think is the best and worst character(s)? I've yet to lose as Sephiroth or Terra. I can't, however, seem to figure out how to play the Emperor right.

In vanilla, I believe Kefka was the worst character you could realistically pick. Most of it was due to weird, weak, and gimmicky brave attacks paired with HP attacks that for the most part were hard to hit with no available brave->HP link. Your only really useful "combo" was the air brave attack that leads to them getting stunned followed up with Havoc Wing/Trine. Getting him in EX mode helped a bit, since double cast is incredibly helpful as a passive, but that's really all you had going with you as Kefka. He might have been better in Duodeciem, but I jumped ship to Yuna/Ultimecia for that game.

For Emperor, your goal is to just be a dick with Flares, since you can have both an air and a ground one set up at the same time, while trying to lure people into your brave traps. Thunder Crest is another stunning move that you can use to set up an HP attack if you want, drop a bunch of mines on them while they're stunned for free brave, or set up for the the exploding orb that sucks people in. Starfall is mostly there is case you get enough distance away, since the charge up for it is pretty long. It'll mostly been in there as an alt HP attack since you probably have the points to put it in anyways.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I remember really liking that lady with the punching, think she was from one of the MMOs. Or possibly Tifa, or maybe it was both of them. I like punchy people in these sorts of games. Terra is always good fun as well. I think I liked Laguna as well.Oh, thinking about it I like most of the characters. Think I'll fire it up and beat up a few Manikins later. Oh, can't forget Gilgamesh, he's great too. And Jecht. Wow, thinking about it that game really has a good amount of fun characters.

Also I'm in the middle of going for mad stat maxing in FFX. It's odd, I'd never have bothered with it if it wasn't portable, but there's just something I like about that sort of grinding on a hand-held that I hate on a full size console. It's like I am with Disgaea stuff, never really get into the big screen versions, but stick them on a PSP/Vita and I'll happily just grind away.

There's something oddly relaxing about repeatedly beating up an armoured rainbow mole.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
A good tip for the Emperor, is to send out a small crest in front of him, before attempting to charge up Starfall. Most of the AI will dash right into it, either giving a few seconds grace for the charge, or allowing him to dodge while also gaining some BP. Spamming flares will also help.

Yeah, Kefka was probably one of the weaker characters in Dissidia. I didn't like Prishe, Tifa or Vaan in Duodecim though - two inferior Jecht clones (wtih gimmicks!), and what was basically Firion before they revamped his moveset. Lightning was pretty good, aside from the useless Medic paradigm. And still no boss battle with Cosmos :arghfist::saddowns:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I love movesets that cheese the boss AI like Onion Knight's machine gun HP or Yuna's Energy Ray which the AI doesn't know what the gently caress to do.

Vaan was pretty good for me since he has a lot of good instant Bravery attacks and his crossbow also lends to AI fuckery.

Still two chapters away from beating Mission 13, though. I basically hate any homing/start-up attacks and the Chase function is too unreliable for me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You know, in the take of Type-0 getting an HD re-release, I'm pretty disappointed Dissidia didn't too.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Here's what you need to know about Emperor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaBX4nc_yrU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Gabranth was hilariously powerful in the original Dissidia since EX Mode lasted a lot longer. As for favorite characters, I usually am split between Terra, Vaan and Gilgamesh. Gilgamesh isn't so great from a competitive standpoint since he relies pretty heavily on luck of the draw for his bravery attacks and even then he doesn't have much by way of chaining Brave-HP attacks. Vaan with First Strike and his gun attack is hilariously powerful, same with Terra and her Fira-Firaga combo.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

You know, in the take of Type-0 getting an HD re-release, I'm pretty disappointed Dissidia didn't too.

Crisis Core would be good too, but after trying the Kingdom Hearts series, the combat just feels like a clunky and watered down version of it.

When you try to attack, Zach won't just instantly swing his sword, he will run over to whoever he is auto-targeting and then attack. You can continue to press the attack button to do a four-hit combo, but it's very easy for Zack to break out of it if the enemy moves too much. There are no other combos in the game, and no air combos since Zach can't jump, since all other moves are performed the same way as magic. This is done by using L and R to cycle through all of your actions, besides block and dodge which have their own buttons, but this means that it's not easy to switch between regular attacks and abilities or spells. This is pretty much solved by Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep's system, and that game also has enemies spawn in seamlessly rather than locking you in to an arena every time you cross an invisible trigger (which can almost always be avoided by sticking close to the walls). It's also possible to do double damage by attacking an enemy from behind, and the longer stun animation means that it's possible to keep an enemy stunlocked, including the first boss.

Normal mode is a piece of cake, besides some of the last few bosses, and this is without doing any of the optional missions for EXP. However, hard mode makes it very easy to die, and highlights the flaws in the combat and game design. Unlike when you die in Kingdom Hearts, where you're given the option to restart the fight or reload from a save file, Crisis Core kicks you back to the title screen, meaning all progress since the last save was lost. What's even worse is that none of the cutscenes are skippable, so it can be a long time before you can get another attempt. I know I still have the words "A summon? Who called it?" burned into my memory, which was very early in the game, and not long before I gave up.

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 not only added a cutscene skip feature, but also new gameplay features such as EXP Zero mode, so hopefully with some improvements the game could be a lot more fun. It's a shame that a Final Fantasy VII remake wasn't tried on the PS2, since I quite like the art style used in Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, and Kingdom Hearts, and it's much better than the more realistic style they used in Advent Children.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

That loving Sned posted:

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 not only added a cutscene skip feature, but also new gameplay features such as EXP Zero mode, so hopefully with some improvements the game could be a lot more fun. It's a shame that a Final Fantasy VII remake wasn't tried on the PS2, since I quite like the art style used in Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, and Kingdom Hearts, and it's much better than the more realistic style they used in Advent Children.

If FFVII were ever remade, I'd actually much prefer a goofier, cartoonish style to be utilized- something similar to KH for example. People misremember it as being uber grimdark but in reality, the game would've been horrid if it was humorless and dire.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Golden Saucer is totally grim-dark, what are you talking about?

But seriously, 7 really has an incredibly varied location set, from inner city slums and cyberpunk high-rises to ancient temples and rustic villages to spaceships and alien ruins. KH's cartoonish look wouldn't work well in the city thematically. On the flip side, the boring and unified Advent Children look doesn't work anywhere else.

If they ever do an FF7 remake (I hope they don't), they should throw away the boring unified extended universe look but I wouldn't want a universal cartoonish look either. I'd go for something more like FF14, which has an incredibly varied aesthetic tied to each civilization and culture in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

CeallaSo posted:

Yeah, X was the point where they were beginning to phase him out, which is why Junya Nakano helped with it (and Naoshi Mizuta and Kumi Tanioka helped with XI). XII was Hitoshi Sakimoto / Masaharu Iwata / Hayato Matsuo with Uematsu contributing a single forgettable "theme" track, and XIII was all Hamauzu.

XIII has some good tracks in it! Out of any 'recent' games in the series I feel like ARRs is probably the most listenable overall, though. Soken did pretty good with composing that stuff.