Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Nyarlothotep posted:

Looks like a new battlebox is coming out next week?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9j98esnpuM

Nice, been meaning to get my own copy of 7th rules and if it comes with Dark Vengeance quality new sculpts for Orks, mores the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Nyarlothotep posted:

Looks like a new battlebox is coming out next week?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9j98esnpuM

That is so vague it could be anything. A new campaign, a new data slate, a new starter set; who knows?

And is it Orks and IG or Orks and Space Marines? How do the Knights factor in? I know GW love tight control around their IP, but since I know leaks will be only guesses I'll just wait 5 days and find out. Being annoyed by this fact is not the way to hype your game GW.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Hey, the wife is looking for a way to convert a Sammael riding his boss-rear end 14AV Land Speeder. Any conversion suggestions or examples? Not exactly looking to spend $30 on the LS then like $40 on the duder.

Another vote for picking up the aforementioned Ravenwing battlebox as it's an excellent buy for this purpose. Those extra sprues have the TL assault cannon, TL heavy bolter, sword arms, robed chests/heads and DA iconography, as well as extra bits for venerable dreadnaughts, rhinos/landraiders, etc.

Short of having those/on the cheapo, you'll want a landspeeder tornado kit. Just make the pilot distintive and you should be fine.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Cataphract posted:

So, glancing through the ork book and I'm thinking of running this at 1750

HQ
Ork warboss - Mega armour, lucky stikk, bosspole, Cybork - 135
Big Mek SAG Eavy Armour cybork 2 x ammo runt - 100

Troops
20 ork shoota boyz - nob with bp and pk - 174
20 ork shoota boyz - nob with bp and pk - 174
10 ork shoota boyz - nob with bp and pk - 114

Elites
4 x Meganobz BP - 165
trukk - 30

Fast
Dakkajet + extra gun - 130
5 koptas rokkits - 150
9 bikes pk boss pole 202

Heavy
lootas x 8 112
lootas x 8 112
kanz with rokkits x 3 150

total 1748

I know some of it's not ideal (kanz) but apart from the bikes and koptas it's what I own that is painted. thoughts? what do you think I should have on my painting table next (probably more boyz)

It's a fine list and looks fun to play. Problem being that your one transport has Meganobs so RIP that Trukk. And, you can't buy more ammo runts for your Mek?

Also, what's with the "remove a model" wording in the Lucky Sticks entry? Is the user removed or the model you're swinging at?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Indolent Bastard posted:

That is so vague it could be anything. A new campaign, a new data slate, a new starter set; who knows?

And is it Orks and IG or Orks and Space Marines? How do the Knights factor in? I know GW love tight control around their IP, but since I know leaks will be only guesses I'll just wait 5 days and find out. Being annoyed by this fact is not the way to hype your game GW.

I looked around on-line and there seems to be somethought that it's going to be a summer narrative campaign. The Red Waagghh that's being hyped for that day, according to the codex, is the one invading and all the Space Wolves Black Library support has a "A Sanctus Reach ____" sub header.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I read Bell of Lost Souls' article and... well there doesn't seem to be a Games Day this year. At all, anywhere. No Golden Demon or anything.

What the hell is happening? The models are gorgeous, sure. The prices have gone up, but so has kit quality (leaps and bounds). But GW seem to be slowly throttling everything outside of the physical models themselves.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Post 9-11 User posted:

Also, what's with the "remove a model" wording in the Lucky Sticks entry? Is the user removed or the model you're swinging at?

The user. It's an instant death effect that bypasses immunity to instant death through different wording.

Basically, the sticks are great until you fail three re-rolls in a turn. Then you die and no force can save you.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Lord Twisted posted:

I read Bell of Lost Souls' article and... well there doesn't seem to be a Games Day this year. At all, anywhere. No Golden Demon or anything.

What the hell is happening? The models are gorgeous, sure. The prices have gone up, but so has kit quality (leaps and bounds). But GW seem to be slowly throttling everything outside of the physical models themselves.

Golden Demon existed primarily as a marketing tool and a way to fire sale extra stock. It was kind of gross how the crowd barkers would call out at the end of the event, "50% off!" An hour later, as people were packing up: "60% off, come and get it, get 'em while they're hot!" An hour later as people were leaving: "80% off, everything must go!" Supposedly, people who purchased full price could get coupons or refunds, but it was rare that anyone claimed it. It was a nauseating feeding frenzy. When the heap of Warhammer stuff they had for sale finally disappeared, the staff high fived and hugged (this was Chicago GD the two years I went).

With a paid staff of about 50 people, commissioned battle tables, display minis, and so on, it probably wasn't that profitable for the company. All they care about is revenue and with sales plummeting they need to cut costs in order to make their profits seem higher. Global campaigns were a cost, Golden Demon events were a cost, so away they go.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I'm trying this list the next time I play Hixson:

code:
1850 Imperial Guard + Space Marines

-No FOC Slot-
Priest
3 Primaris Psykers

-HQ-
Tank Commander: Punisher, +Pask, +Lascannon, +Multi-Melta Sponsons, +Camo-Netting
Squadron Tank: Vanquisher, +Lascannon, +Camo-Netting

-Troops-
Infantry Platoon: 5 Platoons, 5 Lascannons
Platoon Command Squad: +Chimera, 4 Flamers

Veteran Squad: 3 Plasma Guns, Chimera

-Fast Attack-
Vendetta

Allied Detachment

-HQ-
Chief Librarian Tigurius

-Troops-
Tactical Squad: 4 Marines, Sergeant, Flamer, Drop Pod

-Heavy Support-
Thunderfire Cannon

Inquisitorial Detachment

-HQ-
Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor: +Psyker, +Psyocculum

The real goal is to drop Invisibility on the guard squad, while hopefully rolling Shrouding for the Tank Commander to sit behind them for that 2+ cover save. If the Primaris Psykers can manage to get Perfect Timing as well that would be pretty fantastic. The Thunderfire Cannon is there because it owns, and a Psyocculum is there as insurance against Hixson's Eldar. It seems pretty funny if I can manage to make it work.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Post 9-11 User posted:

With a paid staff of about 50 people, commissioned battle tables, display minis, and so on, it probably wasn't that profitable for the company. All they care about is revenue and with sales plummeting they need to cut costs in order to make their profits seem higher. Global campaigns were a cost, Golden Demon events were a cost, so away they go.

Probably not in the short term, but events like Games Day should be classified under marketing expenses (like every other convention/conference event that companies attend or sponsor), not profit-seeking ventures. It's a way to generate long-term profits by creating another way for consumers to engage with the brand.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Post 9-11 User posted:

Golden Demon existed primarily as a marketing tool and a way to fire sale extra stock. It was kind of gross how the crowd barkers would call out at the end of the event, "50% off!" An hour later, as people were packing up: "60% off, come and get it, get 'em while they're hot!" An hour later as people were leaving: "80% off, everything must go!" Supposedly, people who purchased full price could get coupons or refunds, but it was rare that anyone claimed it. It was a nauseating feeding frenzy. When the heap of Warhammer stuff they had for sale finally disappeared, the staff high fived and hugged (this was Chicago GD the two years I went).

I've been to one in the UK in I think 2009 I need to check my tickets. It's whichever one was the last great Games Day, the year space wolves came out. Awesome conversion corner where they chucked bits at you for terrain and models (still got those conversions!) an enormous battle of prospero which was great to drop into, about 50-60 mini tables where you could pick up and play, golden demon, hundreds of displays... I had an awesome time travelling up with my semi local GW. Year after I read about it and they had none of that. Completely missed opportunity.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Indolent Bastard posted:

My money is on an Apocalypse supplement book.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Ghost Hand posted:

My money is on an Apocalypse supplement book.

I'm thinking the same. Could also be a Waaagh Ghazghkull ref, the Ork logo at the end is a hybrid of Bad Moons and Goffs which fits with the Ghazghkull/Nazdreg alliance.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Here's basically everything about the Sanctus Reach:

http://pinsofwar.com/the-sanctus-reach-mystery-and-what-it-means-for-orks-space-wolves/

There's also this model of Warboss Grukk that's not mentioned:

MasterSlowPoke fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 30, 2014

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Post 9-11 User posted:

I got a box of three Falcons (what was that even called) and a brown box containing a big-rear end Skaven army for 40 bucks each at one of those crazy sales. Those were good times.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Here's basically everything about the Sanctus Reach:

http://pinsofwar.com/the-sanctus-reach-mystery-and-what-it-means-for-orks-space-wolves/

Is the sanctus reach stuff an honest to god new chunk of 40k fluff or has it been around for a while? New 40k stories and fluff still get my bitter self excited.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Post 9-11 User posted:

I don't meant to discredit your experience going to those shows, but E3, Blizcon, Pax, Coicon, and practically every other semi consumer oriented trade even are also not 'profitable' for those exhibitors. A company cutting out those types of events to save money is a red flag if you are an investor.

GW doesn't understand technology and it doesn't understand the value of building consumer advocates. It's a poo poo company run by the british equivalent of a banker with a degree from the byzantine school of business.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 30, 2014

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Elfface posted:

The user. It's an instant death effect that bypasses immunity to instant death through different wording.

Basically, the sticks are great until you fail three re-rolls in a turn. Then you die and no force can save you.

Except maybe stop re-rolling after 2 fails?

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Cross post:

I almost have a complete squad of the mini-gun Ardboyz now. I have a new flat so I have room to take an army-wide photograph. I am running out of stuff to paint.

edit:

Indolent Bastard posted:

Yeah, treat it as two re-rolls with a Waaghbanner. If your boss is dead in any case risk the third roll. Seems like a good bit of kit. I'm going to model a Malaki mark two to carry mine.

Malaki Whiteklaw.

Raphus C fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 30, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'm just very disappointed because I moved to Chicago, and was well super looking forward to being able to attend a Gamesday as I've never been. I don't even care if i played I just you know wanted to go and see all the cool models.

Just disappointed.
It also makes no sense.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Lord Twisted posted:

But GW seem to be slowly throttling everything outside of the physical models themselves.

Hollismason posted:

Just disappointed.
It also makes no sense.

Welcome to the last ten years.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Nah, that's a random Bad Moon boss and Ghaz. Grukk is a Goff.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hollismason posted:

I'm just very disappointed because I moved to Chicago, and was well super looking forward to being able to attend a Gamesday as I've never been. I don't even care if i played I just you know wanted to go and see all the cool models.

Just disappointed.
It also makes no sense.

If you are in the chicago area adepticon is better. Honestly gamesday isn't (wasn't?) that exciting to me.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

LordAba posted:

If you are in the chicago area adepticon is better. Honestly gamesday isn't (wasn't?) that exciting to me.

Seconded - Games Day was a whole lot of money to go spend more money. Adepticon is a blast and next year it's going to be bigger than ever.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

God speed, Grukk. Make Space Wolves weep please :(

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
In terms of return, Gamesday was probably an exceptional marketing tool. It really is a bad sign since the only logical reason to shut it down is they're trying everything under the sun to cut costs.

It's like if your company took away free coffee from the office. A cost saving line item yes, but a really bad move still (free coffee has been shown to be one of the cheapest, most effective way to increase efficiency in drones).

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Just loving depressing if, above all else, 30 straight years of golden demon is tossed away without even a loving announcement. Just quietly killed like they hope noone notices. A real punch to the gut as I used to pore over the winners as a kid, loving seeing the detail on them.

Really sad if they kill games Day. It has its own Wikipedia page! Sadder if they kill it without a loving acknowledgement like some weird 1984 doublethink - there was no games day

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Thundercracker posted:

In terms of return, Gamesday was probably an exceptional marketing tool. It really is a bad sign since the only logical reason to shut it down is they're trying everything under the sun to cut costs.

It's like if your company took away free coffee from the office. A cost saving line item yes, but a really bad move still (free coffee has been shown to be one of the cheapest, most effective way to increase efficiency in drones).

My armored car company did that for a few months.

Management still threw away their stale bagels in the break room garbage can.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yeah I remember the Golden Daemon being a big loving deal back in ye olden times. Like if you said you won that then it actually meant something, it was a pretty decently known award and had been around forever.

I actually remember when I was younger a guy came in to the store thsi was like 20 years ago or so and he was 2nd place I think, he won the silver but he got his pic in GW for his Ultramarines and everyone was really in awe. His poo poo was crazy good.

I guess it was nostalgia or whatever because even as a teen I remember being like oh poo poo Gamesday and I remember our club had people go and they brought back all kinds of cool poo poo and the younger members couldn't go.

Just always wanted to go :(.

edit:

Yes, I am hoping to be able to go to the next Adepticon, I won't be able to play as I have a split shift that limits that but I'd love to meet some goons and maybe play some games.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 1, 2014

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Elfface posted:

Word, thank you. Sometimes not-so-lucky sticks.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Some rules force you to take the bonus, depends on the wording of the gear itself. If the sticks force you then you have no choice but to get chopsticks in yer brain.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Zark the Damned posted:

still it seems that there's still more ork models on the way... either in a new box set or stand alone.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I was going to ask about "the cheapest place to get just the 40k 7th edition rulebook", but if they are cutting things like this I might just hold off since that book might be a paperweight in a year...

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Crossposting from the oaththread

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Here's my Helbrute (Hugbrute)

Here's the daemon prince

Here are the plague zombies

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Zark the Damned posted:

It;s Grukk, they just painted him yellow.

Nixnihil
Apr 3, 2007
Where is His will needed?
Hey hams, it has been ages since I posted here.

I'm making a squad of "riot cop" ork 'eavy armor trukkboys. I want them to have big shields with visions slots, a bit that I distinctly remember from the old days of 3rd ed. I think they're the tank hatches of old Space Marine Rhinos and Preds.

Link is here. Look at the front panels.
http://gmortschaotica.blogspot.ca/2010/08/best-of-space-wolves-list-1-razorwolves.html

Sometimes these things turn up in bits orders, but they're sort of hard to find. I guess the War Store doesn't do GW bits orders, so I'm trying to figure out how I'll ever amass 10 of these things. Hoping some old grognard hams might have them lying around, or maybe a similar bit exists in a new kit. Either way, I hope one of you can help out. Cheers!

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Ok, so I used to dabble in WH fantasy like 12 years ago. This last few days me and an old friend found our old horrible Lizardmen vs Bretonnia start kit dudes and his old wood elf stuff and had a really fun time painting them with way too big brushes and acrylics not made for miniatures.

Now I'm really in the mood to paint some miniatures, and while I could just pick some random cool miniature to paint, warhammer holds a spot in my heart. Looking at all the races Tau seems like something I would like to paint, I think it would be possible for it to actually not look like crap now that I know about drybrushing and washes etc. Thinking about just getting a unit for Fire Warriors or Pathfinders.

How does the ally system work? I read somewhere that Tau could pretty much have other races units in their army? Not that I'm ever probably going to paint enough for a whole army, but it would be fun to have something like Eldar and Space Marines and paint them to fit in with my Tau. How does this work, can I just use anything? Does it need a certain % of Tau? I'm also guessing I would want something that has good melee since that's what Tau is lacking? Any cool ideas for what to add?

I'm still trying to figure out what colors and brushes to get, but I guess that's more for the painting thread.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

BULBASAUR posted:

I was going to ask about "the cheapest place to get just the 40k 7th edition rulebook", but if they are cutting things like this I might just hold off since that book might be a paperweight in a year...

To be honest - GW cutting Games Day is fairly irrelevant. I imagine they are treating it as an effort vs value decision. Arguments can be made either way on this subject but I am positive this is why they have done away with it.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Effort vs value certainly makes sense, coming from a company that still has a web page from 2008. I still question the direction of the company, however.

Nixnihil posted:

Hey hams, it has been ages since I posted here.

I'm making a squad of "riot cop" ork 'eavy armor trukkboys. I want them to have big shields with visions slots, a bit that I distinctly remember from the old days of 3rd ed. I think they're the tank hatches of old Space Marine Rhinos and Preds.

Link is here. Look at the front panels.
http://gmortschaotica.blogspot.ca/2010/08/best-of-space-wolves-list-1-razorwolves.html

Sometimes these things turn up in bits orders, but they're sort of hard to find. I guess the War Store doesn't do GW bits orders, so I'm trying to figure out how I'll ever amass 10 of these things. Hoping some old grognard hams might have them lying around, or maybe a similar bit exists in a new kit. Either way, I hope one of you can help out. Cheers!

That's a tough project since those rhinos are out of print and cost about $20 on ebay. Lucky for you, there are a few third party companies that make riot shields similar to that one (one goon on here did a squad of guardsmen with them).

You can always scratch build those with some plasticard- a bit time consuming, but it should be an easy project.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 1, 2014

Nixnihil
Apr 3, 2007
Where is His will needed?
drat, I guess you're right if I may have to make them. I didn't see any riot shields through Kromlech on the War Store. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Also gotta throw in there -- Jesus gently caress, eighth edition ALREADY? How about make a good loving game and just leave it alone for at least five years? Goddamn.

Nixnihil fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

You could maybe use the Forgeworld Space Marine breacher shields.

• Locked thread