Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I've read conflicting reports about the reliability of time-machine backups over NAS. I guess the best course of action here is either get a Time Capsule for the mac, or just Learn To Love The Cloud and pay for offsite backup of important poo poo like photos.

Trying to hack a plain network share into a Time Machine share is a huge pain that rarely works.

NAS software that advertises actual TM support is better. Synology TM has been fine for me, though I've had a few minor hiccups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I use Time Capsule for whole-machine backups (except transient poo poo like downloaded movies), and my important photos and documents I upload to Amazon S3. They've just lowered their prices too, I pay like a buck or two a month for something like 35 gigs.

It works really well for me, and I won't lose my install unless my house burns down, and even then I won't lose the really important stuff. Good enough for me, should be good enough for you.

But yeah using one USB drive with two computers at the same time won't work unless you feel like switching it over all the time, and that's just not fun.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

computer parts posted:

OS X 10.9.4 is out.

Woo! Looks like they are finally fixing the WIFI bug I've been hitting with my rMBP; reconnecting to my router after sleep.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6281 posted:

Fixes an issue that prevented some Macs from automatically connecting to known Wi-Fi networks
Fixes issue causing the background or Apple logo to appear incorrectly on startup
Improves the reliability of waking from sleep
Includes Safari 7.0.5

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yep when my iMac wakes from sleep it connects to wifi instantly now. It used to take 4-5 seconds.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

jink posted:

Woo! Looks like they are finally fixing the WIFI bug I've been hitting with my rMBP; reconnecting to my router after sleep.
gently caress yes! That was some of the most annoying poo poo.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

computer parts posted:

OS X 10.9.4 is out.

Still not listed on the main page of the downloads site, but here's the combo link:
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1755

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Literally every version of OSX released in the last four years has had "fixed Wifi" somewhere in the changelog.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Mad Wack posted:

Literally every version of OSX released in the last four years has had "fixed Wifi" somewhere in the changelog.

Which is fair, as it seems to break on some variant of machine each time.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yeast posted:

Which is fair, as it seems to break on some variant of machine each time.

Could be because Apple sources different parts for different model revisions and it takes time for the drivers to be rewritten / optimized for the newer chips in the new parts.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Yeah, absolutely. It's just entertaining to see how often it happens. It's like a lovely roulette.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

How do I disable the chrome notification center in the menubar?

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

inferis posted:

How do I disable the chrome notification center in the menubar?

Go to chrome://flags and disable synced notifications. Or you could use something like Bartender to manage your menu bar if you have a lot of other stuff in there. Better organization of menu bar items is something that OS X really should just include.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

iostream.h posted:

gently caress yes! That was some of the most annoying poo poo.

Indeed. Can confirm it's working like it should; the laptop connects before I can type in my password. Progress!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So I tracked down the problems I had with the window behaviors in Quicktime X to a control panel called "Secrets" which enables hidden "features" in various things. Unfortunately it hasn't been updated in half a decade and some release or another broke it. I'd used it to make the corners of Quicktime X windows square or something. Anyway I need to figure out what configuration file it was editing and somehow get a clean copy of it. Unfortunately their website and user community seem super-dead.

I could try replacing all the com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX.plist.* files but I'm pretty scared to actually do that.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 1, 2014

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

GokieKS posted:

Go to chrome://flags and disable synced notifications. Or you could use something like Bartender to manage your menu bar if you have a lot of other stuff in there. Better organization of menu bar items is something that OS X really should just include.

I keep disabling it but it comes back every time chrome updates.

How would I disable the underlying service then?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You can't. If Google wants an icon there then Google gets an icon there.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Oh and I disabled sync notifications and it's still there.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

inferis posted:

There's another option about when to display it. I choose "only when I have notifications" or something like that.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

withak posted:

You can't. If Google wants an icon there then Google gets an icon there.

Yeah they recently updated and changed which flag it was. It's not every update. It's loving annoying but whatever. The annoying thing for me is whenever my computer unsleeps Chrome decides to pop up its notification bullshit and I haven't found a way to stop that from happening.

edit: I'm an idiot and quoted the wrong post ... deal with it, I guess

Pivo fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 1, 2014

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

inferis posted:

Make sure you restarted Chrome after doing so, and have gone into the menubar dropdown and unselected all the types of notifications.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

wdarkk posted:

So I tracked down the problems I had with the window behaviors in Quicktime X to a control panel called "Secrets" which enables hidden "features" in various things. Unfortunately it hasn't been updated in half a decade and some release or another broke it. I'd used it to make the corners of Quicktime X windows square or something. Anyway I need to figure out what configuration file it was editing and somehow get a clean copy of it. Unfortunately their website and user community seem super-dead.

I could try replacing all the com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX.plist.* files but I'm pretty scared to actually do that.

http://secrets.blacktree.com/?showapp=com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX

Run "defaults delete com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGCinematicWindowDebugForceNoRoundedCorners" in Terminal and restart QTPX to fix it.

You could also "defaults delete com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX" to reset all of QTPX's preferences.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

chimz posted:

You could also "defaults delete com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX" to reset all of QTPX's preferences.

Yesssss thank you.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A MBP with an i5 should run Mavericks well. It's really an improvement so I would say wait it out a little before trying to downgrade or anything. It may be temporarily slow because it's re-indexing things. Someone more knowledgable might be able to corroborate this.

Mu Zeta posted:

Yep when my iMac wakes from sleep it connects to wifi instantly now. It used to take 4-5 seconds.

Ah, I can't wait to get home and see if it
does this for my MacBook.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Having an interesting problem. Got a new mbp a few days ago and occasionally when audio is playing it drops out for ~5 seconds, then comes back in but the audio that was missing plays at the same time as the new audio.

Like standing on a sound hose and letting it build up then it all bursts out. Happens with both on board speakers and bluetooth. Anyone experienced this?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Brock Samson posted:

Having an interesting problem. Got a new mbp a few days ago and occasionally when audio is playing it drops out for ~5 seconds, then comes back in but the audio that was missing plays at the same time as the new audio.

Like standing on a sound hose and letting it build up then it all bursts out. Happens with both on board speakers and bluetooth. Anyone experienced this?

Audio from iTunes? Audio from Flash like YouTube?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What up with safari putting my text entry selector thing into the google search bar whenever I load google.com? I'm pretty sure it's a javascript thing, can I do anything about this/ it's a mild annoyance, at best.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

decypher posted:

Audio from iTunes? Audio from Flash like YouTube?

I guess it's all been flash, youtube or google play music. That would be a good place to start, thanks.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

What up with safari putting my text entry selector thing into the google search bar whenever I load google.com? I'm pretty sure it's a javascript thing, can I do anything about this/ it's a mild annoyance, at best.

:confused: What would you rather happen when you load google.com? It's not like there's anywhere else for the curser to go; That's the only text field on the page.

FYI it is almost certainly a JavaScript thing and it happens in Chrome and Firefox too.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Brock Samson posted:

Happening with onboard and bluetooth means it's probably safe to rule out malfunctioning hardware (and what a malfunction that would be!).

Have you installed any pro audio type software?

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

Oneiros posted:

:confused: What would you rather happen when you load google.com? It's not like there's anywhere else for the curser to go; That's the only text field on the page.

FYI it is almost certainly a JavaScript thing and it happens in Chrome and Firefox too.

The top bar where you can type in a website probably, I've been annoyed by the same thing.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Since I have to dig it up every time chrome updates, here's the current method to disable its stupid notifications and Google Now bullshit (note, Google tends to move these settings around between Chrome versions and re-enable them every time you update -- this should be accurate for v.35.0.1916.153)
- Go to chrome://flags#enable-google-now and set it to "Disabled"
- Go to chrome://flags#notification-center-tray-behavior and set it to "Never Show"

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

ambushsabre posted:

The top bar where you can type in a website probably, I've been annoyed by the same thing.

Oh, you've got Google set as your homepage and have Safari configured to open new tabs/windows with your homepage. Don't do that.

Alternatively, use ⌘ L to quickly select the address bar.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.
I have an Apple Mail question.

I'm working on major inbox management for a client. I've deleted about 30K messages from her Gmail, but she says on her Apple Mail over 66K messages are still showing up.

Is there a way to sync this, so that if I delete Gmail items, they also automatically delete from Apple Mail?

I looked in her GMail settings, and she has IMAP enabled. I do not have access to her MacBook or iMac or whatever she is using but I can still send her step by step help.

Any ideas?

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I don't even know what kind of application to search for. I'm having trouble moving files with finder. Sometimes I get a random error then I have no idea what transferred and what needs to start over. And OSX is retarded about restarting the copy (REPLACE or CANCEL, great guys).

I need to be able to reliably copy 50 gigs of data without nursemaiding Finder, I'm moving VHDs all the time. Typically I'm moving them onto a SMB share or to an USB3/Thunderbolt external drive. Formatted exFAT, HFS would be better, but windows.

Do I need a finder replacement, or a SMB client, or a just a dummy's GUI for the robocopy equivalent command on OSX?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I don't think lack of USB 3 is bad if you at least have Thunderbolt on, say, the 2011 models. I picked up a Seagate GoFlex 1TB Thunderbolt drive which comes with that infamous tray, and when you slide the drive out the SATA port is exposed. You can easily slide in any 2.5" drive, or with a $2 cable and maybe a power adapter, any 3.5" drive and get speeds way greater than USB 2.0. That's how I connect to eSATA disk arrays on my rMBP, or format bare drives.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Vaporware posted:

I don't even know what kind of application to search for. I'm having trouble moving files with finder. Sometimes I get a random error then I have no idea what transferred and what needs to start over. And OSX is retarded about restarting the copy (REPLACE or CANCEL, great guys).

I need to be able to reliably copy 50 gigs of data without nursemaiding Finder, I'm moving VHDs all the time. Typically I'm moving them onto a SMB share or to an USB3/Thunderbolt external drive. Formatted exFAT, HFS would be better, but windows.

Do I need a finder replacement, or a SMB client, or a just a dummy's GUI for the robocopy equivalent command on OSX?

How comfortable are you in a terminal? rsync should do what you want.

ebrawer
Oct 2, 2004
Unbanned by the power of nature and bleach!
If there are any ex-Windows users around, and you are looking for a task bar for OS X, I just published version 2.0 of uBar: http://brawersoftware.com/products/ubar

I appreciate any feedback:)

geera
May 20, 2003

ebrawer posted:

If there are any ex-Windows users around, and you are looking for a task bar for OS X, I just published version 2.0 of uBar: http://brawersoftware.com/products/ubar

No screenshots on your product page?

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

ebrawer posted:

What does it even look like? I'm not tempted enough by the idea to download it, but I'd really like to see what it looks like

e:fb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Also "Finaly" in the bottom left text box on that page.