Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Half-assed oath completed

The jurnal base I'm pleased with, I made it from plywood and air-dry modelling clay; it's meant to look like the wyrm has melte its way up out of the ice. it's tough to see, but there's a layer of water effects (thanks last year's oath thread), and then on top of the non-melty bits a layer of PVA-and-bicarb snow. The remorhaz Frost Wyrm is a beastie that lives under ice and tunnels through it by melting it with its internal heat.

The body and the head I'm reasonably pleased with but the claws, eyes and mandibles I realised yesterday are really not quite the right colour (I'm going to blend the blades up to white via red and orange, but the legs aren't right), but I ran out of time, so I'm calling this done and I might revisit it outside of the thread.

I may need to get a non-white background for photographing things on snow bases D:

Blargh.

e: and if you want to show up my lovely painting skills, I got a dupe of this in my bones order, you could win it as a prize this year! I just posted it, along with a selection of other dupes and things i didn't like, off to Krush for inclusion in the Grab Bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mmtheblue
Jul 25, 2007

...Out of this period a particularly cunning and strong Ork will emerge as the leader and the other Orks will gather round him...
Oath Complete!

Jurnal: Lt. Puggles reporting for duty!

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Oath complete:

Detektiv's jurnal:

I am not sure if the fence the slugga is climbing counts so I added some random bits of scrap:

Mmtheblue posted:

Oath Complete!

I love that dog with that helmet, it suits it.

Raphus C fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 30, 2014

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Brock Samsonite posted:

Woah thanks! That means a lot to me coming from you, I've always loved seeing your Necrons!

I don't have any Necrons, but thanks....?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
All of the packages you guys have been waiting on have shipped!

GERM - grab bag goodies!
ZHENT - Springer-Pinsel brushes!
IJYT - tech priest-y dice bearer from The Troll Trader!
RED HERRING - grab bag stuff!
COUNTERSPIN - Springer-Pinsel brushes!
KING MOB - Scober robo-arm dice bearer from The Troll Trader!
DEANUT PANCER - Springer-Pinsel brushes!
TAR DOLPHINATOR SHARK - Army Painter starter sets from The Troll Trader!
GALASPAR - Springer-Pinsel brushes!
DEANUT PANCER - Scibor ork-ring-thing from The Troll Trader!
INDOLENT BASTARD - Scibor dwarven dice bearer from The Troll Trader!
DR. GARGUNZA - Klingon cruiser from the grab bag!
INDOLENT BASTARD - Judge Dredd minis from the grab bag!
NAMENLOS - your top ten prize, an iwata airbrush from ME!
MANIFEST - your donation prize prize, a set of Minitaire starter paints, courtesy of Badger!
Schmetterling: address for your grab bag items
Illudere: Troll Trader prize choice
PASH - Mega-Grab Bag and Springer-Pinsel brushes!
IRIS OF ETHER - your grab bag prizes!
GARETH GOBULCOQUE - your Troll Trader prize!

It, uhh...cost a lot. A lot a lot. Hopefully this time I'll be spreading the cost of postage out over the course of the year instead of waiting several months before sending everything out at once :P that did NOT go to plan!

The plan this time is to have 2 different Grab Bags (one for North America and one for UK/EU) to cut down on postage costs (should help quite a bit!), continuing to have corporate sponsors to post prizes directly to prizewinners and send stuff out every month so I don't have to take a trunk/boot full of stuff to the post office in a single trip (actually my fiancée did, bless her!).

But this is a great time to remind everyone that we are still looking for Grab Bag prizes! Manifest (the keeper of our North American Grab Bag, as well as looking after his own Themed Group Prize) won a set of Minitaire starter paints because he donated his time, cash and prizes - you can win something awesome too!

If you've got an idea for a Grand Prize, Monthly Prize or Quarterly Prize, let me know about that as well - there's plenty of goons donating models, prizes and even straight-up cash!

Drop me an email if you're interested in donating: krushgroove169 at gmail.com

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 1, 2014

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Oath Complete!

Claiming fly your flag, also the basing jurnal for the slate/Chaos/dog business on the standard bearer. The squad are a themed group.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
I believe he earns extra points for having a dog with the banner guy, and his leader wearing a cat-hat.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
I'd been sitting on that cat hat for a while. Found it in the back room of the local GW when the young lady worked there, came off an Empire general I believe. Knew some project would need it, and sure enough they started using lion imagery for Scions.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Shipping update! Wrapped up a few more things to go out tomorrow from the Season 4 thread:

PASH - Mega-Grab Bag and Springer-Pinsel brushes!
IRIS OF ETHER - your grab bag prizes!
GARETH GOBULCOQUE - your Troll Trader prize!

Cotton Candidasis
Aug 28, 2008

Oath Complete

I did some beginner sculpting of cobblestone for the base, so I claim the Jurnal, and I'm pretty sure that's all I'm eligible for.

ForkBanger
Jul 19, 2007

:siren:Oath Complete!:siren:

Counts-as Fermented River Monk, High River Monk, Ten Thunders Brother, big Shenlong and little Shenlong

B-b-b-bonus points!
Based Out- all of these guys are now mounted on shiny new resin bases instead of boring old 30mm slotted bases, and most are built up with rubble or street debris.
Fly Your Flag - Malifaux isn't really a game with banners, but big Shenlong now has a sweet-rear end dragon tattoo on his chest which I'm hoping will count. Shenlong is thus a dragon disguised as 'human with a dragon on him who can turn into a dragon'. He's basically the shittiest master of disguise ever.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Oath Complete!

counterspin fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 1, 2014

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

OATH COMPLETE

Backstory

His salt pocked face looked out to the horizon from the uncomfortable firmness of solid ground for the last time. His luck had run out he reckoned, and none to soon. He would die this voyage, he could smell his death on the air blown in from the sea. Was he a good man? He was an awful bastard raised on a merchant ship, whatever path nature might have had in mind for his temperament the sea was quick to set him right. Had he lived a good life? Ain't nobody lived their life on the sea for as long as he had and enjoyed it. Adventure? Freedom? Those were stories for men bored with their banking jobs. Stories for men, who had most their teeth, whose face and hands hadn't been carved by salt and wind and rope like a haggard cliff.

What comes next on that horizon? More of the same he guessed.

Journal
Theme Group

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oath Complete!

For maybe the first time ever, done the night before so I could take photos in the sun and compose them nicely and stuff! Awesome!

Of course I'm feeling inadequate about my dreadfleet stuff, following Gareth, but oh well what can you do.

Click for lots more detail shots:

Claiming Journal for the basing work on the counts-as-liche priest! I grabbed the swarming scarabs from a piece that came with my Warsphinx, some random skully bits, and then filled in with kneaditite and beach sand. I had to carve away most of the Reaper Bones base, and I pinned both the remaining Bones base and the scarab part so they won't come off.

I'm pretty pleased with the results. The aqua/red matches the army theme, and then I used purple to make him stand out as an important character (I'll be using him as the highest-level wizard/priest in my tomb kings warhammer army).

As for the volcano, I got to use my airbrush to do something I couldn't have done by hand, which was very cool! I hope the glowy effect is reasonably visible in the photos. There was a lot of light so the castle kind of blends in with the rocks, there's more contrast in real life but I don't have time to mess around with levels in photoshop to try and get it right, so you're looking at cropped, resized, jpg'd RAWs here, no color/saturation/contrast/etc. adjustments.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 1, 2014

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

Indolent Bastard posted:

I don't have any Necrons, but thanks....?

OH GOD, MY BAD. You quoted that in last seasons post. YOU are the one with the AMAZING dice roller! :allears:

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
I may have sacrificed sleep in order to get this done, but it was worth it.

Oath complete!

Here's my Helbrute (Hugbrute)

Here's the daemon prince

For journal, here's a close-up of his base before pinning

Here are the plague zombies

The zombies were painted using the following paints (in no particular order):
- Skeleton Bone Primer
- Abaddon Black
- Dawnstone
- Warboss Green
- Dark Angels Green
- Warplock Bronze
- Boltgun Metal
- Longbeard Grey
- Graveyard Earth
- Astrogranite
- Screaming Skull
- Mournfang Brown
- Rhinox Hide

So that's journal,themed group, parts list and double the fun.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Half assed last minute Oath Complete!

Jurnal is the base on the last guy there. My do-it-yourself water effects didn't come out too well and just sort of look like dried snot.
Claiming jurnal and themed group.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

ForkBanger posted:

:siren:Oath Complete!:siren:

Counts-as Fermented River Monk, High River Monk, Ten Thunders Brother, big Shenlong and little Shenlong

B-b-b-bonus points!
Based Out- all of these guys are now mounted on shiny new resin bases instead of boring old 30mm slotted bases, and most are built up with rubble or street debris.
Fly Your Flag - Malifaux isn't really a game with banners, but big Shenlong now has a sweet-rear end dragon tattoo on his chest which I'm hoping will count. Shenlong is thus a dragon disguised as 'human with a dragon on him who can turn into a dragon'. He's basically the shittiest master of disguise ever.

Ruling on the tattoo-as-flag, Krushgroove? I'm willing to accept, especially since I think we accepted nose art for planes/tanks/whatever last season. V:v:V

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

One (1) Completed Oath

I am claiming this month's Jurnal as I have added a bit to my bases. I'm going for a "city destroyed by fighting look" for my Cygnar bases, so it's mud with various items strewn around. My Grenadiers have a bit of stone and metal framework from destroyed buildings (read: pebbles I found outside and painted sprue) on the bases, with Stirland Mud covering the base and the items. I hope to add stuff like brick and wood to future bases, and maybe bigger stuff to larger bases.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
:ducksiren: May judgment! :ducksiren:

Third Place, 1 Point: Gareth Gobulcoque

The Dreafleet pieces came out really good, love the technique on the stones. The Archidon's wings are boss, as is the base, the color on the rock formation really compliments the beast.

Second Place, 2 Points: Vermin Tide

Love the bases on these. The shaggy grass plus the leaves and pumpkins match the tone of the skaven perfectly. Everything has a very consistent mood, they look great as a unit.

First Place, 3 Points: Red Shoe

Love the water effects you have going on this month, especially on these three and the Thrullg. Great sparse placement of the green bits of vegetation with the boars, breaks up the monotony of the bases without overriding the high desert feel you've got going on. Great work on the metallic bits, consistently great as always, I especially like the barrels on the gun boars.

Jurnal, 1 Point: Germ

Great, clear pictures,with very thorough and descriptive text.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Oath Complete

12 Games Workshop Wood Elf Dryads incoming:

I am claiming Jurnal for this month, as follows:

The bases have a two-layer covering of sand with Woodlands Scenics Coarse Turf glued on top of that, to give the scenics a more natural feel and to make the base feel more like a thicket. Leftover bits and pieces (dryad branches on left and right, the skull on what is intended to be the unit champion) were used to emphasize the poses/lines of action on the model (the forward movement, emphasizing strikes and leans to the left or right, etc) and because hey, why not. I almost always put skulls on my unit champions, anyway!

I am also claiming an unorthodox Fly Your Flag:

I feel this banner accurately reflects my army's intentions. (And I'll understand if it doesn't pass muster. :v:)

e: Here's a less overexposed shot which more accurately reflects the actual shading on the models (courtesy of Dagon's help):

Rulebook Heavily fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 1, 2014

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
Hey Krushgroove, I've finally included a 'Prizes Received' tab in the spreadsheet (way at the end):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhbAQSD-C_25dFcwTGtXeWJpNG9Ob18yclJKYUhQMkE&usp=drive_web#gid=1

So goons, let us know if you've received your prizes, and we'll mark it off!

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Argh, I'm going to have to post an Oath Failed for this month. I'm in the path of the giant-killer-death-storm currently hitting the Chicago area, and I came home to find some water in my basement. Between that and having to repair my breaking yet another half-done model, my mood to paint is a bit shot.

Sorry about that. Hopefully I can save these whales this month. (But thanks for the Klingon, krushgroove!)

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Oath Complete!

No jurnal for me this month though, I'll try to make this one up for another month.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Oath Complete

Claiming the Journal for the splashy water effects on Ototo.

EDIT before time: To add in my name, and to also note that the Sedition Wars zombies are a Themed Group

Signal fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jul 1, 2014

Derlix
Dec 9, 2005
Smug, Pantsless Bastard
Oath complete!

The picture quality is terrible, but I'm happy with her

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Oath Failed .

Absurdly terrible time management this month. Ugh.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
OATH COMPLETE

Claiming the jernal for the resin bases

Haydrian
Sep 30, 2001
Paid way too much for what I do.
Oath Complete!

Claiming the Henchman's Jurnal for the month, I had a bit of fun Bitzing up the bases this month. I really liked how the gore pile and skull one came out.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Signal posted:

Oath Complete

Claiming the Journal for the splashy water effects on Ototo.

That is an awesome water effect - also where did you get the tall grass?

lovestick
Feb 11, 2006

~30303030303~

enri posted:

It's time for a... montage *cue motivational music*

Just over 6 hours to go (I hope!) and time to finish these models off.

PAINT! FIGHT! WIN!

https://soundcloud.com/maddecent/blood-bros-first-blood

Amazing stuff so far, if you're not done don't give up.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Bachtere posted:

Jurnal, 1 Point: Germ

Great, clear pictures,with very thorough and descriptive text.

Thank you kindly! Though I'm pretty sure, since I'm judging this season, I'm not eligible for Judge's points. I submitted an inaugral oath for solidarity more than anything.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Oath Complete

I took a crappy photo for a group shot because I am lazy.

I did some speedpainting that I posted way upthread and I am too lazy to go back and grab for this post at this point in my life. If I don't get the credit for it as a result then I am 100% okay with that.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Oath Complete

Bases have some Object source lighting warpstones/tiberium.
Also, Themed Group

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
:siren:OATH COMPLETE 5 Drudge mind slaves(Privateer press) and one Alugicil Sniper(infinity):siren:

Claiming themed group, as well as the jurnal for the resin case the infinity fig is on!

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

Oh I'd like to make mine themed group too! I forgot. Is it too late?

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
Oath is nearly done, just waiting for the gloss coat to dry before I spray it with matte. Then touch up anything dulled too much by the candy coat, photo it, and post!

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009
:pcgaming:OATH COMPLETE:pcgaming:
Jurnal was the puttied base on the scientist fellow - it's been ages since I've worked with the stuff and it kinda shows.

Since these were for Deadlands, each character has a bit of a Backstory!
From right to left:
  • Dr Milhouse Grimes: With doctorates in both geology and engineering, he's well qualified to create devices using the mysterious Ghost Rock, and make a splash in the field of New Science. However, due to some... disagreements with the Helsturm Corporation, he's determined to fly under the radar. But, since he's perpetually followed by explosions and fires, this is harder than he anticipated.
  • Rosalyn Davis: Grew up living the sweet life until her corrupt sherrif father got run out of town. Tried to start a life of crime but when the first person she held up was the legendary Marshal Dakota Staite, she was deputised instead. Following Dakota's death, she got assigned to Marshal Jaunt and the rest of the gang to bring her killers to justice, but this motley crew is proving to be a bit of a handful...
  • Bert Molloy: Keeps himself to himself, and for good reason. People keep dying when he's around, whether it be indians, confederate soldiers, criminals or civilians. Haunted by the spectres of his past, he seeks refuge in a bottle, but when the lead starts flying he's the first into the fray.
  • Marshal Will Jaunt: Ain't got time for your bullshit. Veteran of the Department of Justice, he tends to treat the law with a bit of flexibility, especially with regard to putting the boot in. Nevertheless, he seems to have a higher power on his side, which he seems to resent about as much as being saddled with this junior, this case and these other idiots.
  • [acrobat, name unknown]: I forgot her name because all this character and her player did upon joining us was keep secrets and act cagey about literally everything. We began the latest adventure without her and her player is on a different character at the moment so I don't even know if she'll show up again.

e: I think this counts as a Themed Group too?

FROOOOOOOOG fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jul 1, 2014

LaikatheSpaceDog
May 1, 2014

Oath Complete

Group Shot:

Turbo:

Joe Football:

Alan the Cultist:

Douglas Fens:

Mad Mel:

For the Jurnal, I hand sculpted moonscapes on all the bases... which is what I do for all my dudes, so, bully for me.

And now, I humbly present:

The Strange Tale of Alan the Cultist

Thursday was the day that Alan the Cultist woke up to find that his face had fallen off. There it lay, inert on his pillow, a small sheet of flesh and muscle. It was not looking up at him, as you may think it would, for Alan’s eyes were still in his skull and connected to his brain. Alan stood beside his bed.

“Fiddlesticks,” said Alan.

Good. He still had his tongue. He lifted a cigarette from his nightstand and and brought it up to where his lips used to be. Adjustments will be necessary, thought Alan, as he regrettably ground the cigarette in his teeth, feeling the papers and tobacco gently scattering over his front.

The second cigarette was better, as he managed to gingerly clench it between his teeth, inhaling the smoke directly down his trachea. He endeavored to have a fairly routine morning. He spilled very little of his coffee, and only got a few muffin crumbs on the newspaper. The dog, Mr. Nurglepants, did regard him with some suspicion, of course, and he took to splashing water in his eyes now and then as he no longer had eyelids. There was also the small, but not unsettling matter of his face still resting upon his pillow in the bedroom.

“I am a Chaos Cultist after all,” he remarked to Mr. Nurglepants. “And I don’t think my face is going to re-attach all that well. I wouldn’t be my handsome self any longer.”

“Bwark,” said Mr. Nurglepants.

Alan the Cultist set about doing the only thing a Chaos Cultist of sound mind could do. He rummaged about in the garage for a shield from last month’s renaissance fair and, from the tool drawer, procured some nails. His search for a hammer was fruitless, however.

“Ah, well.” His head would serve as an adequate hammer, bereft as it was from nerve and tissue. Thusly did Alan attach his lifeless face to the circular surface of the shield. With each nail he stretched his face a little more past the point of recognition, and the resulting expression was hideous enough that Alan wished he had been capable of it when his face was still his to control. He then attached a length of rope to the construct as this was all just for show and preservation, really. Use the shield as an actual shield? With his face attached to it? Nonsense!

Though his neck was sore from all the hammering, Alan was rather chuffed by his new ornament. He dangled it by the rope for his dog to admire. If Mr. Nurglepants had an opinion, he kept it to himself.

The end.

Apparently this board doesn't like indentations... oh well.

So! This month I would like to claim: Jurnal & Backstory!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Brock Samsonite posted:

Oh I'd like to make mine themed group too! I forgot. Is it too late?

If it's an obvious themed group of at least a minimum size (5 for 28mm human-sized things), then I usually just give it to the person without prompting. So you're already covered. :)

• Locked thread