Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I did vfx work on this for 8 months. It was the first transformers movie that I worked and it was a pretty good time. I liked the robot designs in this one more compared to the earlier ones. It was also fun working on a show where they pretty much never tell you to tone it down.

I'm glad people seem to have enjoyed it more than the reviews would suggest. I do want to nominate I'm not doing it to save your daughter. I'm doing this to save MY GIRFRIEND as the most :derp: line in recent movie memory though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

A robot who's only crime is trying to bring back his dying race from extinction.

Mm, no.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

IT BEGINS posted:

"Ignore anything that doesn't support a surface reading of the film, and the surface reading is reinforced". Gotcha.

I'd also argue that watching the film with the understanding that Optimus is a violent psychopath actually makes it more enjoyable, but to each their own.

I honestly don't know how it would be possible to enjoy these movies if you think Optimus Prime is a good guy. That's half of why they get such terrible reviews.

e: What do you suppose Optimus's most heroic quality is?
- prone to mindless rage
- murders helpless enemies, never takes prisoners
- enforces his will on others via threat of murder
- would rather endanger millions of humans than be subject to any authority
- only goal in life is to commit genocide against his own people
- intentionally disfigures his opponents when he kills them

e2: Sorry MisterBibs, forgot you replied to me specifically.

MisterBibs posted:

The alternative is identifying with Would-Shoot-A-Teenager-Dude or Would Enslave The Earth Robot, so I'm pleased as punch to be on the correct (Protagonist) side. I like movies more when those that I identify with are the ones who survive and win.

You identify with the Emperor, Doomsday, The Joker, and Freddy Krueger a lot, I take it?

:ssh: There is no "good guy" side in the Transformers films. As the new movie tells us multiple times, "nobody can save you now." I think that Megatron's goal of saving his people from certain extinction is admirable, and of course Kelsey Grammer's desire to protect the Earth by removing the Transformers is correct, but Megatron has pretty much lost it and KG's methods are awful.

I am really interested in your suggestion that you care less about the morality of a person/group's actions than whether they win. Especially given that the Autobots have already lost the war, and are simply trying to exterminate the rest of Cybertron via a terrorist campaign. Can you imagine a scenario in which you would agree that Optimus and the Autobots are evil and cease to support them even if they "win"?

The Emperor is essentially a Nazi. Doomsday is not originally an intelligent being and is acting purely as a response to being tortured, so I sympathize with him but of course do not support his actions any more than a vicious dog. The Joker has no constructive goals. I have never seen a Freddy Krueger film.

That said, I can recognize that there are some issues with their opponents. The Old Republic is a complete mess and the Jedi are an unaccountable, hereditary paramilitary cult of unfeeling wizards who kidnap and brainwash children. Superman would be immensely horrifying if not for the good luck of his innate good nature & being raised by loving parents--which, notably, is reflected in his actions (usually). Batman is an emotionally-stunted paranoid billionaire who gets off on hospitalizing petty criminals. Freddy Krueger's enemies...I guess they're just teenagers usually and probably not so bad.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jun 30, 2014

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots
Sometimes, on these forums, you see someone arguing a point of view that is completely loving mental, and you wonder: "is this guy for real?" Then you take a look at that guy's rap sheet and you know: yes, he is.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

verybad posted:

Sometimes, on these forums, you see someone arguing a point of view that is completely loving mental, and you wonder: "is this guy for real?" Then you take a look at that guy's rap sheet and you know: yes, he is.

Did I miss SuperMechaGodzilla's post???

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!
I was convinced there was no possible way that Transformers 4 could be a more dangerous movie than Transformers 2 or 3, which was the right expectation walking into this. The stupendously graphic violence and dismemberment was reduced from the "wanton" levels to those of the first (and worst) of the Bay films. The lionization of the United States armed forces and first responders in the initial three films due to all the assistance they offer in production is completely gone here. The on-screen human body count is merely in the single digits. The implied off-screen death toll is still acceptably catastrophic, but Age of Extinction isn't quite the biannual "haha, the MPAA ratings truly mean nothing" reminder of the last two. Truly regrettable: nobody else besides Michael Bay makes these kinds of movies.

Even the wackiness of the human cast is drastically toned back here. At the beginning of the film, I was half-expecting the obligatory Crazy Black Character in the Michael Bay film to get swept up in the globe-trotting madness to provide the exasperated reaction to the carnage. Not only did that not happen, but this movie's equivalent to the first movie's hackers, the second movie's college students, and the third movie's soldiers/operatives was killed at the end of the first act.

Once I saw the original poster with the half-Decepticon, half "4" logo, I was sold on the movie. I didn't watch any trailers or ads, didn't read any cast announcements (it was a good hour into the movie before it dawned on me who was playing the main human antagonist), didn't look at any designs. I saw the last three, so what more do I need to know as far as influencing my decision to see this new one? I guess for those who saw the Super Bowl teaser and especially the theatrical trailers, the answer was "everything" since the latter shows every beat of this movie's story, in sequential order. Though I tried to avoid hearing about it, all anyone talked about leading up to this movie was "Optimus Prime with a sword riding on a dinosaur!" from the end of the trailer, TV spots, display stands, etc. Sure enough, that's the finale of the movie as is standard for every single blockbuster film's advertising. I can't deny its effectiveness, but I definitely enjoyed this movie more by not having any clue whatsoever that "this guy's head is about to turn into a colossal sniper rifle" the way everyone else knew ahead of time.

Mornacale posted:

Some things that struck me:

2) So in Transformers 1, Megatron needs to get the All-Spark, an incredibly powerful artifact that represents limitless knowledge and power, so he can turn machines into new Transformers. By 4, humans just need some scrap metal and robot DNA and boom, 50 custom-built Transformers who are better than the old models. Humans rule at science.

There is a difference between what the All-Spark does and the now-spoilered part you describe in part 4 does: the "spark" part of "All-Spark." The machines created by KSI have no "spark," which as the movie states is the Transformer equivalent of the human soul. These creations are hollows, husks. This point is brought up in dialogue a few times, most notably once Optimus fights Galvatron. It's why Galvatron feels no fear despite having all of Megatron's knowledge. This distinction is why he accepts the identity of "Galvatron" over "Megatron." I feel like that context is a much better reasoning behind the change in character than what was presented in the 1986 animated movie.

mashed_penguin posted:

I did vfx work on this for 8 months. It was the first transformers movie that I worked and it was a pretty good time. I liked the robot designs in this one more compared to the earlier ones. It was also fun working on a show where they pretty much never tell you to tone it down.

I'm glad people seem to have enjoyed it more than the reviews would suggest. I do want to nominate I'm not doing it to save your daughter. I'm doing this to save MY GIRLFRIEND as the most :derp: line in recent movie memory though.

Despite this being Cinema Discusso, Land of Pedantry, I try not to delve too far into that. But in this case, you've slightly mis-paraphrased the line and in so doing lost what it was implying: Shane effectively said "I'm not helping YOU save YOUR DAUGHTER. YOU'RE helping ME save MY GIRLFRIEND" (caps emphasis my own) with the implication being that he considers himself the hero of this story and Cade his sidekick. (As things turn out, neither of them really "save" her, as she orchestrates her own escape, at which point they're all in the same position of being rescued themselves by the Transformers and their ability to absorb all impact shocks from collisions.) Of course, because of prior scenes the movie deliberately sets things up such that the audience unequivocally sympathizes with Cade's perspective and thus sees Shane as someone they don't particularly take a liking to, so when we hear that line we all think "yeah, bullshit there guy, we know it's the other way around." To confirm without a shadow of a doubt who the real lead human protagonist of this story is, they then have Shane immediately attempt to surrender afterwards.

I do however hope that charismatic black hole who delivered the line in question doesn't become the lead of future films. Recent sequels have really gone full-bore with this "there's the guy you actually want to see but he's past middle-aged now, so let's introduce some whitebread cardboard cutout of an actor with the idea being that he'll replace that guy." Jai Courtney in A Good Day to Die Hard, Garrett Hedlund in Tron: Legacy, Aaron Taylor-Johnson in Godzilla, Jack Reynor here, and so on. The only thing Reynor has over the other guys is that Irish accent, but I have no desire to see him in other movies. Still, if you're going to have Wahlberg return, that means Reynor must too. There is a simple solution to this, though, and it's the solution that was originally proposed for this movie but couldn't be implemented due to scheduling conflicts: bring in The Rock next time.

Transformers 5: Pain and Gain 2. MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Daryl Surat fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 30, 2014

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Daryl Surat posted:

There is a simple solution to this, though, and it's the solution that was originally proposed for this movie but couldn't be implemented due to scheduling conflicts: bring in The Rock next time.

Transformers 5: Pain and Gain 2. MAKE IT HAPPEN.
You suggest bringing The Rock into the next Transformers movie and don't make it a G.I. JOE crossover? For shame.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Another thing I notice is the factionless Lockdown looking more like an Autobot than a Decepticon.

Lockdown is also the same size as Optimus in robot form despite transforming into a smaller vehicle. This is actually a reference to his previous toys that went from Bumblebee-sized cars to robots as tall as Optimus.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

Ash1138 posted:

You suggest bringing The Rock into the next Transformers movie and don't make it a G.I. JOE crossover? For shame.

Although that's the most likely scenario by which it'd happen, I deliberately omitted that on the grounds that Cobra in the GI Joe movies is far more effectual and killed far, far more people than the Decepticons have. Transformers 3 famously had a scene where crowds of people were vaporized as much of downtown Chicago was put to waste. Somehow the aftermath of Dark of the Moon is "1300 dead" despite the WTC attacks resulting in well over double that many. Cobra by contrast destroyed most of Paris and casually killed the entirety of central London. The Decepticons, Fallen, Quintessons ain't poo poo compared to the threat Cobra Commander poses! We're gonna bring in Roadblock to stop Unicron?! He's got more on his plate!

It interests me how the Transformers movies are very proficient at using simple methods to effectively put heat on its villains to establish them as credible on-screen threats to the heroes. This isn't something that say, most of the recent Marvel movies have bothered to do outside of The Winter Soldier. Lockdown in this movie is definitely the real deal: every single time he shows up, you know something bad is happening to someone who's had significant screen time in the series as he's unequivocally superior to anybody on the block. The only way anyone will buy our heroes getting one over on this dude is if they all fight him at once. I wish Megatron was consistently portrayed as that powerful an opponent throughout these movies, but it seems that more often than not he's playing second fiddle. Hell, even in the first movie, were it not for the fight against Jazz nobody caused more tangible havoc to our heroes than Starscream (this is even more true in Revenge of the Fallen).

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
I love how by the time Optimus talks about having sworn an oath to never harm humans, he's already not only blown up like twenty cars full of people, but he's also pointed guns at every sympathetic human character while shouting "I'LL KILL YOU!".

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Mornacale posted:

- prone to mindless rage
- murders helpless enemies, never takes prisoners
- enforces his will on others via threat of murder
- would rather endanger millions of humans than be subject to any authority
- only goal in life is to commit genocide against his own people
- intentionally disfigures his opponents when he kills them

All of the things you listed here actually are qualities of a hero. Not in the Disney's Hercules-sense, which we've only become accustomed to in the 20th and 21st centuries because it's how we've re-taught kids to think about 'might makes right.' Historically, however, heroism has never been chiefly defined by moral character or rational thinking.

In fact, heroes arise in scenarios in which moral values and rational thinking are rendered impotent by an opponent that lacks these compromises. Heroes arise in response to these threats to Order, with the task of restoring it by any means necessary. (Furthermore, they do not need to be conscious that this is what they are doing.) That these means are so often performative and embellished is part of what constitutes the mythic quality of the hero: He/she not only restores Order but the audience's confidence in Order. Because the hero needs to be able to freely transition between Order and Chaos, heroic narratives are actually rife with incest, paganism (in transitional European cultures), theft, murder, revenge, public disgrace, and many aspects of what we would now consider evidence of anti-social personality disorder.

In the lead up to our modern society, the sciences of physics, astrology, archeology, paleontology, geology, and anthropology have stripped the world of its 'mystical' quality, of the Unknown which perpetuates anxiety about the collapse of Order. The waters are further muddled by not only the pluralization and secularization of religious life and political philosophy, but by concomitant conceptions like the anti-hero. This is really a misnomer, a modern attempt to differentiate vigilantism from warrior-heroism, both mutually reinforcing the legitimacy of the other.

In this context, the task of heroic narratives is now to re-mystify the world, for mythopoeic pop culture narratives to take the place of actual myths.

Your skepticism about the ability of the spectator to morally identify with Optimus Prime on a conscious level isn't necessarily consistent with the historical nature and function of heroic narratives. Rather, it's an oppositional reading which -- while certainly perhaps more engaging or entertaining (I happen to love and whole-heartedly support oppositional reading) -- that specifically refutes the circuitous, post-hoc rationalization that 'might makes right.' It also happens to be the more optimistic reading: Framing the Order of a heroic narrative as implicitly satiric, the unconscious and primal legacy of these Coliseum performances seems less potent.

I've only seen Transformers and Revenge of the Fallen, so I'll reserve my reading to those films, accepting that both Dark of the Moon and Age of Extinction may very well be satiric even if I don't believe the previous two films are. But it seems evident at least to me that the satiric reading of both of those films, the deconstruction of them based on pre-conceived assumptions about what it 'really means' to be heroic, quickly breaks down when we ask the question, "Where do we even get the idea that moral character or even sanity is how we define heroism?"

That Prime is explicitly a warrior (as opposed to the modern vigilante or anti-hero) points up our moral values as mere conceits that are themselves buttressed by Atlas, a figure who is enslaved by 'the gods' to support an Order of which he can never truly be a part. Prime is a robot (the erroneous popular definition as 'slave') in disguise, whose existence on the level of pure symbolism lends itself to the 'true' deception, which is that our moral values are relevant at all in the face of our perpetual smallness.

In Bay's films, this is literalized by forcing Order within a hierarchy of infinite macrocosm, which the trailers for Age of Extinction suggest is being expanded upon. Prime is both figuratively and literally a toy, a mythopoeic hero whose performance of awe-inspiring might helps to rationalize a de-mistified, de-mythologized world, where we bare the traumatic existential burden of knowing less and less about more and more.

That Prime proves to be in action if not in words more sadistic, more violent, more volatile and unpredictable than his adversaries actually proves that he is the hero. No matter how infinite and unstable Order becomes, the Autobots will perpetually exist to restore some semblance of it.

For a satiric perspective on this, one would probably have better luck with Disney's Hercules or, of course, 1998's Small Soldiers.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Mornacale posted:

- prone to mindless rage against Decepticons
- murders helpless Decepticons, never takes Decepticon prisoners
- enforces his will on others via threat of Death by Decepticons
- would rather endanger millions of humans than be subject to Decepticon authority
- only goal in life is to commit genocide against Decepticons
- intentionally disfigures his Decepticon opponents when he kills them

I added some vital information as to why these are objectively heroic situations, and why I reject any of these arguments. Nope, not going to have sympathy for Megatron or the Decepticons. I cheer when a Decepticon gets his face ripped open. Not going to :qq: over the Bad Guys dying horrifically.

I'm going to cheer. Good guys winning? Bad guys losing? Going to cheer, with the rest of the audience, like the filmmakers intended. And yes, I'll give you a big :gonk: If I see you :qq:ing over it.

(As I post this, I watched Starcream's eye being ripped out, then his head exploding. It was awesome, and I didn't have any sympathy. Because it's Starscream, a Decepticon.

Mornacale posted:

:ssh: There is no "good guy" side in the Transformers films.

There are good guys, and they wear this logo. Any argument otherwise hits that image and stops, dead in the water. The movie teaches us this, but it didn't even have to.

Mornacale posted:

I am really interested in your suggestion that you care less about the morality of a person/group's actions than whether they win.

That's not true. I care about the morality. Fortunately, there's no negative mortality about what the Autobots do to Decepticons. Because they are Decepticons.

Mornacale posted:

Can you imagine a scenario in which you would agree that Optimus and the Autobots are evil and cease to support them even if they "win"?

Unless we're discussing an alternate universe, the answer is no. In Transformers, there's a cultural and four-movie reinforced notion that Prime and the Autobots are the good guys. Their opponents are the bad guys. It's reinforced throughout four movies.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

MisterBibs posted:

Prime and the Autobots are the good guys.

edit: this was posted a page ago, but I'm still reeling from the fact it's a real page of a real transformers comic.

Hbomberguy fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 30, 2014

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I didn't really want to see this at first, but a friend was like "hey, wanna see it?" and I gave in.

It wasn't nearly as bad as ROTF or DOTM, but it's still worse than the first movie. It would probably be the best if it wasn't so long and dragged on forever. I was engaged for the first hour or so, but soon I became bored to tears through most of it and keep looking at my watch waiting for those end credits to finally roll.

The human characters were infinitely more tolerable than Megan Fox, Shia LeBeouf and his obnoxious family. Marky Mark was... dare I say, even likable? The whole jailbait daughter thing kind of creeped me out, though. I also liked John Goodman as Bulkhound and Frasier Crane quitting his radio show so he can be an evil CIA agent.

Optimus Prime is more of a maniac has he ever has been and in fact, all the Autobots were enormous douchebags bordering on being villains to the point where I disliked Crosshairs. Lockdown was cool and I may have been secretly rooting for him. The Dinobots were also fun to watch for the 10 minutes of screen time they had. Also I really don't like the effects used when Galvatron and his crew transform. If they morph using nanomachines, how come they're still all limited to two forms? How come they're not infinite changers?

There was a lot of unintentional humor in this. There's one scene that has product placement that is so incredibly brazen I burst out laughing. A big Bud Light truck crashes and all the bottles are thrown everywhere. The camera focuses on the bottles for a second, then Marky Mark opens one up and takes a swig.

There's also a part where Mark Wahlberg has a gun sword and is on the ground and actually manages to parry Lockdown's blows and able to hold off a giant loving robot's blows. poo poo, I know the guy lifts and has arms the size of beer kegs but drat, that's some upper body strength. And just like Shia and crew, Mark and his gang are superhumans who can survive getting thrown from buildings and through exploding glass and rubble and poo poo and still be totally okay.

It was a bad movie, but this time around it was more laughably bad vs. "I want to claw my own eyes out" bad, so that's an enormous improvement.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gammatron 64 posted:

I didn't really want to see this at first, but a friend was like "hey, wanna see it?" and I gave in.

It wasn't nearly as bad as ROTF or DOTM, but it's still worse than the first movie. It would probably be the best if it wasn't so long and dragged on forever. I was engaged for the first hour or so, but soon I became bored to tears through most of it and keep looking at my watch waiting for those end credits to finally roll.

The human characters were infinitely more tolerable than Megan Fox, Shia LeBeouf and his obnoxious family. Marky Mark was... dare I say, even likable? The whole jailbait daughter thing kind of creeped me out, though. I also liked John Goodman as Bulkhound and Frasier Crane quitting his radio show so he can be an evil CIA agent.

Optimus Prime is more of a maniac has he ever has been and in fact, all the Autobots were enormous douchebags bordering on being villains to the point where I disliked Crosshairs. Lockdown was cool and I may have been secretly rooting for him. The Dinobots were also fun to watch for the 10 minutes of screen time they had. Also I really don't like the effects used when Galvatron and his crew transform. If they morph using nanomachines, how come they're still all limited to two forms? How come they're not infinite changers?

There was a lot of unintentional humor in this. There's one scene that has product placement that is so incredibly brazen I burst out laughing. A big Bud Light truck crashes and all the bottles are thrown everywhere. The camera focuses on the bottles for a second, then Marky Mark opens one up and takes a swig.

There's also a part where Mark Wahlberg has a gun sword and is on the ground and actually manages to parry Lockdown's blows and able to hold off a giant loving robot's blows. poo poo, I know the guy lifts and has arms the size of beer kegs but drat, that's some upper body strength. And just like Shia and crew, Mark and his gang are superhumans who can survive getting thrown from buildings and through exploding glass and rubble and poo poo and still be totally okay.

It was a bad movie, but this time around it was more laughably bad vs. "I want to claw my own eyes out" bad, so that's an enormous improvement.

Hate to burst your bubble, but there's no way that laughable product placement wasn't intentional.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
MisterBibs, have you even read the analysis that is this thread's namesake?

Regardless, at least you're proving that position the movies are biting at isn't just a straw-man. Like those people who watch Fight Club and then start fight clubs.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Hate to burst your bubble, but there's no way that laughable product placement wasn't intentional.

I normally hate product placement but I do have a soft-spot for when creators accept it grudgingly but take it to bizarre or sarcastic extremes. Like that Community episode where Subway is a dystopian villain, or Lady Gaga's Telephone and Bad Romance videos.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 30, 2014

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Daryl Surat posted:

Although that's the most likely scenario by which it'd happen, I deliberately omitted that on the grounds that Cobra in the GI Joe movies is far more effectual and killed far, far more people than the Decepticons have.
Fair enough, though the Decepticons could also be pulling their punches.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Mornacale posted:

Especially given that the Autobots have already lost the war, and are simply trying to exterminate the rest of Cybertron via a terrorist campaign.
Emphasis mine. In the context of this it is interesting that when you exit the Transformers ride at Universal Studios the dudes standing around trying to pretend they aren't bored golfclap lazily and shout "welcome back, freedom fighters" at you.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

MisterBibs posted:

e: What do you suppose OptimusAmerica's most heroic quality is?
- prone to mindless rage against Muslims
- murders helpless Muslims, never takes Muslim prisoners
- enforces his will on others via threat of Death by Muslims
- would rather endanger millions of humans than be subject to Muslim authority
- only goal in life is to commit genocide against Muslims
- intentionally disfigures his Muslim opponents when he kills them

I tweaked your edit a little to better reflect the zeitgeist of the early 21st century, tell me what you think.

MisterBibs posted:

There are good guys, and they wear this logo. Any argument otherwise hits that image and stops, dead in the water. The movie teaches us this, but it didn't even have to.

Again:

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
I originally thought Bibs was just screwing around, but his rap sheet suggests he really is this insane.

As for the movie itself, ehhhh. I hated the second one and the third one dragged really badly, but this one was a little better. The obnoxious Bay comedy was toned down and a lot of the effects were really great, but it was still pretty dull. It was watchable unlike the last two, but I'm still glad I got taken to this movie and didn't have to pay for it.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I probably would have enjoyed this movie despite its many flaws if they had just cut the drat thing down and didn't have a 3 hour runtime. I feel like these movies often just have scenes that aren't necessary at all and would be improved if they were left on the cutting room floor - i.e. the whole subplot with the hackers in the first movie. What did the hackers add to the movie at all?

Lord Krangdar posted:

I normally hate product placement but I do have a soft-spot for when creators accept it grudgingly but take it to bizarre or sarcastic extremes. Like that Community episode where Subway is a dystopian villain, or Lady Gaga's Telephone and Bad Romance videos.

Yeah, things like the Bud Light scene make me wonder if that really was self-aware self-parody. Because how can you film that with a straight face?

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
In the Bud Light scene he is literally stealing beer from AB InBev because the truck is overturned.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

K. Waste posted:

An analysis of heroic values based on pre-modern values.

I think it's a fair analysis, though I feel the movies are more likely portraying a canonically morally good figure as morally gray, rather than portraying a morally gray figure as good through the lens of pre-modern morality.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, things like the Bud Light scene make me wonder if that really was self-aware self-parody. Because how can you film that with a straight face?

Check out some of the straight up commercials he directed. Bay is nothing if not consistent.

http://vimeo.com/3160244
http://vimeo.com/3159896
http://vimeo.com/4666352

Also, remember that scene of Optimus driving through the desert and his thugs emerging from the landscape to join his posse? http://vimeo.com/3159970 and its companion http://vimeo.com/3160074

edit. VVV "Our future is at stake" seems almost like a threat. Do you vote?

Maarak fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 30, 2014

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
^ Yes, I vote. The symbol and line come from a game called Ingress. The Resistance (blue) say "Our freedom is at stake", whereas the Enlightened (green) say "Our future is at stake.

Lord Krangdar posted:

MisterBibs, have you even read the analysis that is this thread's namesake?

Of course I did. I took it with the same giant pile of salt one needs when reading, say, In Defense Of The Empire or when I trawl TVTropes for the mock thread in PYF.

3 posted:

I tweaked your edit a little to better reflect the zeitgeist of the early 21st century, tell me what you think.

Even the worst stereotype of the Muslim people doesn't hold a candle to the horribleness that is told-by-trustworthy-sources/depicted on the screen in the four Transformers film by Decepticons.

The best thing about the Megatron-With-An-Autobot-Logo is that it hits the emotional mark that Something Is Wrong.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 30, 2014

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

MisterBibs posted:

Of course I did. I took it with the same giant pile of salt one needs when reading, say, In Defense Of The Empire or when I trawl TVTropes for the mock thread in PYF.
If only that "In Defence Of The Empire" article hadn't been proven correct by the text where no less than Yoda realises and explicitly states that the Republic doesn't deserve to win the Clone Wars nor do the Jedi have any moral highground.

MisterBibs posted:

The best thing about the Megatron-With-An-Autobot-Logo is that it hits the emotional mark that Something Is Wrong.
Actually he just realised that HE was wrong and it's the start of a character redemption arc.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

If only that "In Defence Of The Empire" article hadn't been proven correct by the text where no less than Yoda realises and explicitly states that the Republic doesn't deserve to win the Clone Wars nor do the Jedi have any moral highground.

Nah, it's still salt-worthy, since The Empire is, y'know, The Empire. Grey sagging skin, yellow eyes, black robe, lightning out the fingers..

Arquinsiel posted:

Actually he just realised that HE was wrong and it's the start of a character redemption arc.

Interesting... I wonder how long until it'll fix itself and he'll be Megatron again.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

MisterBibs posted:

Nah, it's still salt-worthy, since The Empire is, y'know, The Empire. Grey sagging skin, yellow eyes, black robe, lightning out the fingers..

Interesting... I wonder how long until it'll fix itself and he'll be Megatron again.

Hasbro is releasing a 40bux Megatron toy with an Autobot symbol option. This is a serious development.

And Megatron saw the error of his ways at the end of Transformers: Prime, too!

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

MisterBibs posted:

Even the worst stereotype of the Muslim people doesn't hold a candle to the horribleness that is told-by-trustworthy-sources/depicted on the screen in the four Transformers film by Decepticons.
You're making the mistake of sympathizing with the humans* in the Transformers movies. They brought Megatron's wrath down upon them by imprisoning him for decades for no reason at all.

*Actually it's just America, but the movies pretty much equate humanity with America.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Ash1138 posted:

They brought Megatron's wrath down upon them by imprisoning him for decades for no reason at all.

He came here to find the power that allowed him to restart a war of galactic control and domination. Said war only delayed because of the actions of the protagonists, the Autobots.

Sympathy for Megatron and the Decepticons? :wtc: / :iiam:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

MisterBibs posted:

Remember that line about democracy and the blood of tyrants? The Empire isn't actually the enemy, the Empire is what the Republic decides to change into voluntarily. Everything, up to and including the finger-lightning, is known to the public at this point in time and yet they still are super up for Palpatine taking charge.

I get the same feeling here that I had when I made the mistake of watching Fox News on a recent trip to America and wanted to shout at the TV.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

"It's okay, guys! The guy named Megatron is talking about peace! And he only wanted his machete back! :downs:"

That's like saying you can't trust a guy named Omar or Jamal.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently there's some controversy going on about Paramount's stated domestic box office of $100 million. Mostly in that they're the only ones saying that and everyone else who tracks these things is saying it was less.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

muscles like this? posted:

Apparently there's some controversy going on about Paramount's stated domestic box office of $100 million. Mostly in that they're the only ones saying that and everyone else who tracks these things is saying it was less.

I bet there were bonuses if it reached over 100m and Paramount is looking for an opening.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

MisterBibs posted:

Of course I did.

Read the "Conclusions, or really just ramblings" part again. Especially this part:

quote:

I didn’t actually notice until someone in the thread pointed it out, but look at the
red car. Notice how there are two extras cowering in there. That’s the car
Ironhide crushes under a baddie for no reason, evidently killing two people in
the process. That car could have been empty. Those two extras were not just
there to play a prank on the team – they had to be actively hired and directed to
sit in the car and hide from some empty air that a robot would be CGIed into
later. Why. The filmmakers expended an active effort just to make the heroes’
actions just that little bit more insane, in a situation barely anyone in the
audience actually noticed!

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

MisterBibs posted:

He came here to find the power that allowed him to restart a war of galactic control and domination.

You mean to find the power to save the Cybertronian race from extinction, right? This isn't even subtext, this is literally text that the film outright yells at you in TF1: the Allspark is the genesis of all Transformer life. Optimus Prime shot it into space, Megatron went to go find it.

Consider this: if Megatron was really going to use the Allspark to restart a war for domination, then why does every Transformer produced by the cube in the first film end up, by default, seemingly Decepticon through no effort of Megs himself? Why do the Autobots, ostensibly the good guys, want to keep the collective womb of their entire species hidden away given they have literally no other means of reproduction?

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

MisterBibs posted:

He came here to find the power that allowed him to restart a war of galactic control and domination. Said war only delayed because of the actions of the protagonists, the Autobots.

Sympathy for Megatron and the Decepticons? :wtc: / :iiam:
Megatron wanted the AllSpark to save his race from extinction. Only Optimus Prime claimed that Megatron wanted to use the AllSpark to turn Earth's machines into an army. Megatron crashed on Earth thousands of years before humans invented machines and he's immediately frozen and out of contact with everyone until he's freed from human imprisonment. Optimus cannot possibly know what Megatron's intentions are so he lied to get Sam (and other humans) on his side.

3 posted:

You mean to find the power to save the Cybertronian race from extinction, right? This isn't even subtext, this is literally text that the film outright yells at you in TF1: the Allspark is the genesis of all Transformer life. Optimus Prime shot it into space, Megatron went to go find it.
The films never explicitly state that Optimus was the one who shot the AllSpark into space, but it sure is implied with his "it was 'lost'" line and his insistence that it be destroyed rather than be captured by Megatron.

Ash1138 fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 30, 2014

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

mashed_penguin posted:

How do you feel about working on something thats rated so low and gets raged on by fans? Seriously I get that having VFX work is a good thing to put food on the table but wouldn't you rather be working on something with more substance? I only say this because this is the 4th iteration of what I would consider garbage script and inappropriate production design. I want to feel for my fellow artists but I also don't want to do that if they totally don't agree with the above statements. I work in feature animation and honestly I'm kinda sad that some of the projects I'm involved with are garbage too.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Shaocaholica posted:

How do you feel about working on something thats rated so low and gets raged on by fans?

$302 million world wide opening weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

$302 million world wide opening weekend.

That's actually totally besides the point. As a VFX artists that usually doesn't mean poo poo to you as in you'll never see a bonus or even garauntee of future work based on box office. I would rather take an academy award and we all know AOE isn't going to get that.