Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

The early 70s AWA camp was a torture marathon far beyond anything Hugh Morrus has done with WWE. It was brutal. I have no idea how Gagne felt about gays but if he sure didn't care for minorities so you can just sub in the slurs.

Didn't Flair have to be talked out of quitting that camp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
He quit three times and then Verne came over to his house and dragged him out into his yard and slapped him around.

Gagne's camp was brutally hard, but I haven't heard anything about it being creepy and humiliating.

TheWorstAmy
Nov 27, 2009

I'm a stupid Twitch streamer
I understand the Hart Dungeon wasn't exactly the tamest camp either. I read the Jericho autobiography where he said or did something out of line on his first day there, and whoever the trainer was clapped his hands over Jericho's head, one under the jaw, the other on the dome, and just clamped it in front of everyone. drat near enough to crack a tooth or bite off a bit of tongue.

Clearly I'll never know how the love of the game is worth that kind of unprofessional abuse.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Jesus. Speaking of WWE training, does Regal do much outside of being the NXT end boss and the odd bit of talent scouting? Or is it just the smart ones who pick his brain or what?

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Amy Renee posted:

I understand the Hart Dungeon wasn't exactly the tamest camp either. I read the Jericho autobiography where he said or did something out of line on his first day there, and whoever the trainer was clapped his hands over Jericho's head, one under the jaw, the other on the dome, and just clamped it in front of everyone. drat near enough to crack a tooth or bite off a bit of tongue.

Clearly I'll never know how the love of the game is worth that kind of unprofessional abuse.

Stu Hart would also stretch the crap out of the trainees.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The "Hart Dungeon" was alternately a camp run off and on by Bruce Hart where you were paying to say you were trained by the Harts. The actual Hart Dungeon was Stu's basement, where he would just physically torture you for a little while for his personal amusement until you begged for mercy, cried, and pissed your pants or whatever. After that you were released back into the wild. There was no training there whatsoever.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

He quit three times and then Verne came over to his house and dragged him out into his yard and slapped him around.

Gagne's camp was brutally hard, but I haven't heard anything about it being creepy and humiliating.

Billy Robinson was a notorious bully who during the AWA camp dislocated the Iron Sheik's hip on purpose. Granted, Sheik had shot off his mouth first, but Robinson challenged Sheik who then accepted and Robinson injured him badly to prove a point. That's the reason Flair wanted to quit, and it is far worse than anything Hugh Morrus is even alleged to have done.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Hiro Matsuda broke the Hulkster's leg brother and did he back down? No, I body slammed him in front of 100,000 screaming Hulkamaniacs in the Silverdome

(Did that actually happen? I was never sure.)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Billy Robinson was a notorious bully who during the AWA camp dislocated the Iron Sheik's hip on purpose. Granted, Sheik had shot off his mouth first, but Robinson challenged Sheik who then accepted and Robinson injured him badly to prove a point. That's the reason Flair wanted to quit, and it is far worse than anything Hugh Morrus is even alleged to have done.

I'd argue that pulling a gun somebody is comparable, considering Hugh is dumb enough that the thing could go off and kill somebody.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Hiro Matsuda broke the Hulkster's leg brother and did he back down? No, I body slammed him in front of 100,000 screaming Hulkamaniacs in the Silverdome

It's never been disputed to my knowledge, and unlike a lot of Hogan's BS, of which there is a copious amount, it wouldn't surprise me if it were true.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Cromulent posted:

2006 sounds about right. I can remember a time when in the tag-team of Marek Brave and Tyler Black, Brave was considered to be the one with the bright future.

I do wonder how history would have played out had Brave not given a turnbuckle an SSP then get destroyed falling off a ladder

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'd argue that pulling a gun somebody is comparable, considering Hugh is dumb enough that the thing could go off and kill somebody.

It's never been disputed to my knowledge, and unlike a lot of Hogan's BS, of which there is a copious amount, it wouldn't surprise me if it were true.

Didn't he just pull a gun out rather than pulling it on someone?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

MassRafTer posted:

Didn't he just pull a gun out rather than pulling it on someone?

In the wrong hands (AKA, a fat washed up dumbfuck who would pull a gun on somebody because he's mad at them), a gun is an accident waiting to happen. Even if he wasn't specifically aiming at somebody, that doesn't mean he wouldn't have caused damage, either to property or to somebody else, including himself.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
It was just pulling a gun out from the sounds of it

Some jinkity rear end message board that copied and pasted this poo poo posted:

The following was issued: Former WWE NXT talents Chase Donovan and Chad Baxter joined former WWE developmental wrestler Kevin Matthews and J-Silva on their Two And A Half Wrestlers podcast. This is a must listen as Chase and Chad dropped some major bombshells on Bill Demott which includes a second-hand story of DeMott pulling out a gun in front of some trainees, firsthand accounts of him hitting talents on the back with a yardstick, using homophobic slurs daily, telling talents to go kill themselves, bullying and over training talents, getting Cena's trainer fired, etc. This is a must listen!

Kevin Matthews runs down his history with Demott to start off the show and the interview with Donovan and Baxter starts at the 20 minute mark twoandahalfwrestlers.com.

Source: lordsofpain.net

Still, the potential for accidental death is there. Did we have Demott in the assholes of wrestling thread?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Still, the potential for accidental death is there. Did we have Demott in the assholes of wrestling thread?

He was significantly represented, yes.

I miss that thread. Everything posted in it was completely canon!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The assholes thread was the best thread on the subforum for a long time. Then people ran out of guys to talk about and people started making GBS threads it up.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
My favourite part of the thread was the periodic post that said "We need a Nice guys and decent folk in wrestling thread" and then someone else would post "Molly Holly, Paul Bearer and Mick Foley when he's not writing about being a creeper, thread over".

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Memento posted:

My favourite part of the thread was the periodic post that said "We need a Nice guys and decent folk in wrestling thread" and then someone else would post "Molly Holly, Paul Bearer and Mick Foley when he's not writing about being a creeper, thread over".

Bobby Eaton and Terry Funk probably belong in that thread, but I understand that way of thinking

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

what if those trainees asked to see his cool gun

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Luigi Thirty posted:

Superdome

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bobby Eaton and Terry Funk probably belong in that thread, but I understand that way of thinking
Someone on this forum posted a pic of Scotty 2 Hotty visiting them in hospital when they were a kid, so he's also confirmed as A Good Guy.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

St Evan Echoes posted:

Someone on this forum posted a pic of Scotty 2 Hotty visiting them in hospital when they were a kid, so he's also confirmed as A Good Guy.

Yeah, point being you unfortunately run out of material for a "Nice People in Wrestling Thread" pretty quickly :smith:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ricky Steamboat's gotta be an okay guy, right?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Ricky Steamboat's gotta be an okay guy, right?

Jake Roberts once said it would probably embarrass Ricky if he knew how much Roberts looked up to him as an example of a good guy.

So....maybe? I mean, Jake was kind of a sleazy dude in his heyday. On the other hand, I've seen a few other folks put over Ricky, so probably.

That thread would get interesting when it got to time to discuss whether Cena belongs in it.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

sticklefifer posted:

I think Sheamus's Irish Curse is about as close as you're going to get. The only thing that's different is the positioning of the arm across the chest instead of at the neck.

Deucalion-- shaping up to be the big bad of Chikara's current storyline-- used a chokebreaker to kill off Kobald.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H3Zk7zQcRE
About 40 seconds in. You'll have to put up with editing effects, but it shows the move.

Then again Deucalion hasn't actually wrestled a proper match yet, just shown up to kill Kobald and the purple Ant.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The Raw thread raised a question. Someone mentioned the WWE forgiving Jack Swagger for being a racist and how back in the day they forgave Sgt. Slaughter for siding with Iraq. Who/what actions do you think were forgiven the most by the WWE Universe? And by that I mean who has conducted the worst conduct only to turn face and have it forgiven later?

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Spikeguy posted:

The Raw thread raised a question. Someone mentioned the WWE forgiving Jack Swagger for being a racist and how back in the day they forgave Sgt. Slaughter for siding with Iraq. Who/what actions do you think were forgiven the most by the WWE Universe? And by that I mean who has conducted the worst conduct only to turn face and have it forgiven later?

Stone Cold was pretty much an rear end in a top hat, up to and including doing the Stunner on women ranging from Fabulous Moolah to Linda McMahon to Stephanie.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
Yokozuna and Earthquake both turned face, and they squashed Hulk Hogan. :argh:

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Did Bossman turn in the 2000's? If so, then the WWE are fine with dog murderers.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Liar Lyre posted:

Did Bossman turn in the 2000's? If so, then the WWE are fine with dog murderers.

Also fine with people that hanged dog-murderers (Taker, Edge and Christian).

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Liar Lyre posted:

He was always a heel after his Attitude Era return, but there was one teased face turn during the "who moved the briefcase" angle when he came out to his old face music before rejoining the Corporation.

It's sad that I can remember 1999 WWF angles better than almost enything else from high school.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Spikeguy posted:

Either Undertaker (between Ministry era and now) or Punk (between SES era and now).

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Thauros posted:

He was always a heel after his Attitude Era return, but there was one teased face turn during the "who moved the briefcase" angle when he came out to his old face music before rejoining the Corporation.

Any video of this?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Writer Cath posted:

Stone Cold was pretty much an rear end in a top hat, up to and including doing the Stunner on women ranging from Fabulous Moolah to Linda McMahon to Stephanie.

That was kind of par for the course with the Attitude Era. I mean, this was the time when the Dudleys were powerbombing 80-year-old women through tables from off the top rope.

I sometimes scratch my head about the Attitude Era being remembered as fondly as it is.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ghostpilot posted:

That was kind of par for the course with the Attitude Era. I mean, this was the time when the Dudleys were powerbombing 80-year-old women through tables from off the top rope.

I sometimes scratch my head about the Attitude Era being remembered as fondly as it is.

People remember noted rapist and human trafficker Moolah getting attacked and they can forget the bad.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

MassRafTer posted:

People remember noted rapist and human trafficker Moolah getting attacked and they can forget the bad.

Actually, wasn't it Mae Young who was powerbombed?

Edit: Yeah, it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa6P58_Dzws

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ghostpilot posted:

Actually, wasn't it Mae Young who was powerbombed?

Edit: Yeah, it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa6P58_Dzws

She was but I was referencing the Moolah stunner in the post you quoted.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Why didn't they AWA crowd like The Fabs?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Spikeguy posted:

Kamala. I'm pretty sure they continued to promote him as an honest-to-God cannibal when he signed on, and they later turned him face.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Why didn't they AWA crowd like The Fabs?

It turns out women in Minneapolis were blind in the 1980s.

They liked them, just nowhere near Memphis did. Maybe the video packages? Maybe the lack of Jackie Fargo? Different opponents? I'm not sure I can point to one single reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Spikeguy posted:

Triple H when he came back from the first quad tear.